Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you want to flash your BIOS, please use our own Forum USB Flash tool - NOW UPDATED!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MSI MS-6701 in Medion MT-163 / Microstar PC MT5 system - need drivers  (Read 33136 times)

JamesQB

• Neo

Hi everyone,

I wonder if someone could please help me. I have a prebuilt PC which claims to be both a Medion MT-163 and a Microstar PC MT5. It uses the Microstar International MS-6701 motherboard, and has the SiS 648/655 chipset.

The original hard drive failed so I replaced it with a new one and installed Windows XP, etc. Trouble is, it meant the loss of the hard drive partition which contained all the drivers and things. It's running really poorly now, slow and with continual freezing while it processes something, before catching up again. I'm thinking maybe it's due to lack of drivers for the mainboard and other parts, because XP left quite a few things without drivers. SP2 sorted some of them out, but I'm still nto sure that everything is there that needs to be.

I have contacted MSI and Medion, but they say they cannot help because only the place I bought it from can help (Currys) but since I have no receipt for it anymore, I can't use their after-market technical firm to get any drivers from. Medion only have 2 drivers for this PC on their website and say that it's because everything else is on the backup partition of these PCs... but what if the HDD fails like mine did.

Does anyone have the same system and the partition still in place that has all the drivers? If so, could I please have copies?

Many thanks,
James

Grayone

• MSIHQ Red Rockets Team Member
  • Xpower
DKA790GX Platinum w/Phenom II 960T unlocked to 6 cores
4 gig GSkill DDR2 800 @5-5-5-15-2T
N460GTX & N450GTS
Corsair 650TX  12v-52 amps
Windows XP-SP3

G31-M7 w/Q9400 @3.28GHz @1.312v
2Gb DDR2 800 @5-6-6-15-2T
GTX460 Hawk video card
Seasonic 520 Watt S-12 12v-40amps
Windows XP-SP3 - Folding 24/7

Blazer

NovJoe

• Hawk
  • ~DeSTinY~ Destined 2 Be HeRe ^^

I'll moved this thread to Off Topic Technical Section for more discussions as this is a vanilla based board for Medion PCs.
HTPC - DVI to HDMI to Panasonic 42" Plasma
Pentium 4 - 2.4GHz (B) on MSI 865PE Neo2
512MB x 2 Kingston @ 333MHz, 80GB Seagate
MSI NX6800Ultra, AcBel 560w PSU, WinXP Pro SP3

MSI Wind Love U100 Netbook - VGA to Sony Bravia LCD
Intel Atom 1.6GHz, 2GB RAM, 80GB HDD, WinXP SP3

Acer Aspire 4741 - HDMI to Sharp 32" LCD
Core i5 M450 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, Win 7 Hm Premium

HP Compaq V3136 - VGA to Sharp 32" LCD
C2D 1.66GHz, 2GB RAM, 80GB HDD, WinXP Media Centre SP3

Gigaworks S750, 7.1 THX Dolby Surround
Altec Lansing XA3501, 5.1 Gaming THX

MSI HQ Forum USB flasher

Stu

• Hawk
  • Birmingham, UK
    • StuOnline.co.uk

Blazer,

you won't get SiS chipset drivers from Via ???

James,

click on Grayone's link above, go to Drivers & Updates, and then enter your serial number of your PC, and you should get to the page with all the downloads for your PC
Former moderator and admin, 2004-2012

JamesQB

• Neo

Thanks for all the replies. I've already tried everything suggested. The drivers aren't made available because they came stored on one of the hard drive partitions when the prebuilt PC was purchased.

The site where one enters the serial number likewise only offers two drivers - a LAN driver and an AGP driver. In the end I managed to find out what my audio chip was and download a generic driver for it, but as for the rest... This computer is still slow as hell and rather pathetic for a P4 2.6GHz machine. I know my memory amount is low at only 256MB, but I still kniow that the freezing and slowness just isn't right. Even my 1.4GHz PC with 256MB was much faster at opening things and multitasking than this one.

Incidentally, it's been like this since a fresh install. Although I always do virus scans, adware, spyware scans, etc.

I'm assuming it is driver problems since lots were missing until SP2 installed some. I don't want to buy more memory for it in case I end up having to just buy a new system, in which case I'll be using the latest memory type.

Thanks again,
James

Stu

• Hawk
  • Birmingham, UK
    • StuOnline.co.uk

without knowing more about the hardware in your PC, it is difficult for us to advise which drivers you should download from the chipset manufacturer's website(s)

as SiS648 is an old chipset now, Windows XP should already contain most chipset drivers, but you can get most recent AGP GART driver from here:
http://www.sis.com/download/download_step1.php

as for your audio and VGA drivers, you'll have to tell us what hardware your PC uses...
Former moderator and admin, 2004-2012

Fredrik

• Hawk
  • There's always a risk.

Freezing is mostly processor overheating, strange as it might seem. You might have a look inside for dusty fans etc.

Another thing I remember from the SocketA forum is that Medion provided real bad Power Supply Units.
Pages: [1]   Go Up