Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Why not utilise your system's redundant processing power for a worthy cause, and join the MSI HQ Red Rockets Folding@Home team?

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: P35 Neo. Marvell 88SE61xx Adapter  (Read 15373 times)

thiefen

• Neo
P35 Neo. Marvell 88SE61xx Adapter
« on: 23-March-08, 18:16:47 »

When I boot my computer I get this Marvell 88SE61xx Adapter Initializing and it takes like 2-3 minutes for it to load before windows xp starts and it's kinda disturbing. So I wonder if anyone got anyone can help me fix this?

Jack

• Ex Forum moderator
  • Power Edition
    • A user initiative by MSI fanatics to support all other MSI product users
Re: P35 Neo. Marvell 88SE61xx Adapter
« Reply #1 on: 23-March-08, 18:25:50 »

Do you have any devices hooked up to the Marvell Controller Ports (IDE port + the additional SATA port)?

If you don't you can simply disable the Marvell Controller in BIOS.

thiefen

• Neo
« Reply #2 on: 23-March-08, 18:33:11 »

I got two SATA drives connected to the motherboard and my DVD burner with IDE plugged in the motherboard to. How can I tell that they are plugged in to the Marvell controller ports?

Jack

• Ex Forum moderator
  • Power Edition
    • A user initiative by MSI fanatics to support all other MSI product users
« Reply #3 on: 23-March-08, 18:43:00 »

The IDE port is hosted by the Marvell Controller.  The additional SATA part is of a different color than the others and usually stands kind of seperated from the others. Since you need the IDE port for your IDE drive, it is probably not the best idea to turn off the controller.

Is your IDE/PATA drive jumpered as a MASTER drive are you using "cable select"?

Also, which BIOS Version are you currently using?

bmortonaz

• Neo
« Reply #4 on: 24-March-08, 00:13:23 »

I've got the same problem.  P35 Neo2.  The DVD burner is a Plextor PX-740A with the latest firmware (1.2).  I've already tried changing the IDE mode from master to cable select.  No difference.  I've ordered a SATA DVD burner primarily to get rid of the IDE cable.  It will arrive next week.  But it will plug into the Marvell SATA port.  So I'm not sure this will resolve the issue.  I could be a "feature" of the Marvell adapter's scan function.  I've seen forums say I can enter the Marvell Bios by pressing CTRL-M.  So far, it hasn't let me in.   I've tried before and after the Marvell adapter initializes.  I was hoping to disable one of the Marvell ports so that the scan is reduced.  I understand that I can disable the whole chip, but I need one of the two ports.  Any help will certainly be appreciated.

bmortonaz

• Neo
« Reply #5 on: 24-March-08, 00:19:15 »

One more comment.  I pulled the IDE cable from the Plextor and the boot proceeded as expected.  No delay.  It seems like there is a firmware issue with IDE discovery.  Its hard to believe given that IDE has been around for a long time.

bmortonaz

• Neo
« Reply #6 on: 28-March-08, 23:29:39 »

I found a post that said to use a UDMA 80 wire IDE cable.  I was using the one from MSI which is 80 wire.  I also tried a different UDMA cable.  Both attempts resulted in the same boot delay.  I decided to replace the IDE burner with a SATA burner.  The boot delay is gone.  And so is the bulky cable.  This was the only significant issue I've had with the board.   

75stroppe

« Reply #7 on: 30-March-08, 01:09:13 »

I have the same issue I dont want to have to buy a sata drive because the board is not working correctly. Does anyone have a solution.

AlaskanDude

• Neo
« Reply #8 on: 31-March-08, 04:30:55 »

SOLUTION:

Found this on another page somewhere when I searched the forum, because I had the same problem, and it was frustrating.

Set your DVD drive to Slave with your jumpers. I don't care if it's in the Master spot on the ribbon, if it's the only drive on the cable (like my setup), just set it to Slave. Amazingly, you will find everything is auto-detected instantly. Worked for me.

Imaginary Kai

• Neo
« Reply #9 on: 03-February-10, 04:21:46 »

Hey people. I had the same problem. I'm no wiz kid at this stuff, so I didn't mess with any bios settings or whatever.. (I really haven't even a clue what BIOS is...)

So I decided to try "System Restore".

It worked.

I just restored to a checkpoint before the problem started happening and everything is fine and dandy again.

Simple solution

Ex Forum Mod

• Hawk
« Reply #10 on: 03-February-10, 08:20:28 »

And pray tell why are you replying to a 2 year old dead thread?

reeven

• Winki
« Reply #11 on: 04-February-10, 18:19:54 »

Maybe because he want to tell his solution?
I find that a good thing to do, replay a solution on an forum.
Pages: [1]   Go Up