Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you want to flash your BIOS, please use our own Forum USB Flash tool - NOW UPDATED!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Updating bios = Blue screen  (Read 5340 times)

siimon

• Neo
Updating bios = Blue screen
« on: 29-November-08, 00:36:54 »

Hello, when i try to update my bios i get "blue screen of death" a blue screen saying that something have happend and windows need to be closed. Im trying to update my bios becuase games are choppy. Like WoW, tibia and such. And my computer shall make those games. PLease help me!  :huh:

Specs:

Windows Vista Home Premium 32bit (6.0 build 6001)
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6000+ 3GHz.
MSI K9VGM-V
2x 1gig 128Mx64 DDR2
Nvidia Geforce 8600 GT 256mb
Harddrive Samsung 500GB
BIOS: Phoenix - Award WorkstationBIOS v6.00PG

Ex Forum Mod

• Hawk
Re: Updating bios = Blue screen
« Reply #1 on: 29-November-08, 01:00:26 »

What BIOS do have now? What you have in your sig is not BIOS revision. See picture below to see what I mean. See where 1.D is the BIOS revision number in the 2nd line. Example is from my K8N Neo-F. The screenshot pic is from 'Everest' motherboard BIOS page.

How are you trying to flash BIOS? Do not use 'Live Update'

Edit: Do you have the 89W or the 125W version of that CPU? If you have the 125W you run the risk of burning out the CPU VRM MOSFETs. 125W CPUs are not supported on the K9VGM-V .
 2nd time today for me to give this warning.

ADV6000IAA5DO  (89W)
 ADX6000IAA6CZ  (125W)
« Last Edit: 29-November-08, 01:19:31 by Henry »

siimon

• Neo
« Reply #2 on: 29-November-08, 01:15:42 »

What BIOS do have now? What you have in your sig is not BIOS revision. See picture below to see what I mean. See where 1.D is the BIOS revision number in the 2nd line.

How are you trying to flash BIOS? Do not use 'Live Update'

Edit: Do you have the 89W or the 125W version of that CPU? If you have the 125W you run the risk of burning out the CPU VRM MOSFETs. 125W CPUs are not supported on the K9VGM-V .
 2nd time today for me to give this warning.

ADV6000IAA5DO  (89W)
 ADX6000IAA6CZ  (125W)

Please man, give me detailed guide how to check all this u are asking me becuase i suck at computers :/
« Last Edit: 29-November-08, 01:20:04 by siimon »

Svet

• T9246ED, Бивша комета
  • Administrator
    • MSI BIOS/EC-FW Mods
« Reply #3 on: 29-November-08, 01:39:22 »

Leave BIOS alone, read here: http://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=103441.0
A new BIOS can't help with your issue.
Also never attempt BIOS update when you have stability troubles.

becuase games are choppy. Like WoW, tibia and such. And my computer shall make those games.

Do a new fresh OS installation, lower in game settings.
Switch to XP instead Vista.

siimon

• Neo
« Reply #4 on: 29-November-08, 01:46:30 »

Leave BIOS alone, read here: http://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=103441.0
A new BIOS can't help with your issue.
Also never attempt BIOS update when you have stability troubles.

becuase games are choppy. Like WoW, tibia and such. And my computer shall make those games.

Do a new fresh OS installation, lower in game settings.
Switch to XP instead Vista.

Look at this and u see it is not updated: http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/29/asasdadfy4.jpg

Fredrik

• Hawk
  • There's always a risk.
« Reply #5 on: 29-November-08, 01:51:54 »

Like said, if a problem isn't explicitely fixed by a BIOS update, don't.

Choppy video sounds like a problem with the graphics card driver.

But I did this week's guessing just in the other post, so please say:
What the BSOD say.
What game is choppy - say em all, please.
PSU is also very good to know.

Ex Forum Mod

• Hawk
« Reply #6 on: 29-November-08, 01:52:32 »

Whether you suck at computers or not has nothing to do with it. We are here to help each other out with solving problems and advice/warnings where needed.

What makes you think a BIOS update will fix your problem? What you decribed does not look like a BIOS problem.

Read this >> Forum USB BIOS flashtool << and >> motherboard & BIOS ID << Download & run this >> Central Brain ID << it will give you the OPN number of your CPU.

siimon

• Neo
« Reply #7 on: 29-November-08, 02:02:03 »

Like said, if a problem isn't explicitely fixed by a BIOS update, don't.

Choppy video sounds like a problem with the graphics card driver.

But I did this week's guessing just in the other post, so please say:
What the BSOD say.
What game is choppy - say em all, please.
PSU is also very good to know.

WoW
Tibia

I got good fps at both games but they are choppy.
And i cant read what the BSOD say becuase it is only showing like 2 sec then restarting.

Whether you suck at computers or not has nothing to do with it. We are here to help each other out with solving problems and advice/warnings where needed.

What makes you think a BIOS update will fix your problem? What you decribed does not look like a BIOS problem.

Read this >> Forum USB BIOS flashtool << and >> motherboard & BIOS ID << Download & run this >> Central Brain ID << it will give you the OPN number of your CPU.

First i have one question..what is "VIA Serial ATA Controller - 0591" a program says that i dont have that updated. It is under "IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers".

Damn i just saw that im using the ADX6000IAA6CZ  (125W)!!!

http://img383.imageshack.us/img383/4205/cbid01sx5.png

http://img383.imageshack.us/img383/3384/cbid00ce1.png

CPU                                             FSB / HT BUS                Ratio             Result
Athlon 64 x2 6000+ (G2, 89W)             200                          15.5           SINCE 1.8 

PSU:

350W output
+12v =18,0A

PLEASE DO NOT REMOVE THIS THREAD, HELP ME! :'(
« Last Edit: 29-November-08, 02:31:24 by siimon »

Ex Forum Mod

• Hawk
« Reply #8 on: 29-November-08, 02:50:42 »

It's not being removed just moved. :grin:

PSU is kind of weak for your PC. for a system with 8600GT minimum +12V~24A or more is recommended, yours is only 18A plus you have a high power sucking CPU that is putting an even greater load on it. You really should try a more powerfull PSU as a starting point to fix the problem. I would suggest getting a Corsair VX450W PSU (+12V~33A)

Looks like you need to reinstall/update MB and video card drivers.

Fredrik

• Hawk
  • There's always a risk.
« Reply #9 on: 29-November-08, 03:04:05 »

Second those ideas.
WoW shouldn't be a burdon for your graphics card, but your PSU carries too much on it's tin shoulders. I'd in fact start that end.

About BSOD, you can turn off automatic restart, which will give you a chance to read. Terrible, I'm at a non-Windows machine now, but I think you right-click This Computer, and choose the Advanced-Tab. Please correct me, I am probably in-correct.

In general, BSODs are Windows problems, which means software. To make a good check if it in fact is a software problem, hit F10 key during the boot-up, to enter SafeMode. If you get no BSOD, you don't have a software hardware problem.

------------
Modif: Terrible misprint! Had to correct it manually! When will MSI ever learn good English?  ;-))
« Last Edit: 29-November-08, 03:15:41 by Fredrik »

Stu

• Hawk
  • Birmingham, UK
    • StuOnline.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: 29-November-08, 18:02:36 »

Damn i just saw that im using the ADX6000IAA6CZ  (125W)!!!

Then you'll need to either replace the CPU with a 89w version, or replace the mainboard with one that will support 125w CPU.
Former moderator and admin, 2004-2012

Svet

• T9246ED, Бивша комета
  • Administrator
    • MSI BIOS/EC-FW Mods
« Reply #11 on: 29-November-08, 18:11:01 »

Look at this and u see it is not updated: http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/29/asasdadfy4.jpg

Don't listen this rubbish :)
Your problem is not BIOS related, leave it alone :yes:
Follow suggestions made before.

Ex Forum User 3

• Hawk
« Reply #12 on: 29-November-08, 18:57:14 »

Yeah, it's one of those sites to tell you that you have a problem and people believe it.
And guess what? It's a BIOS selling site telling you have a BIOS problem :bonk:

So if I tell you to jump in the water, I guess you simply do it :lol_anim:

siimon

• Neo
« Reply #13 on: 29-November-08, 19:55:58 »

Okey, Well i dont know what do do, u guys here on the forum are telling me something and other ppl say other thing..
When i play Tibia it debugs random, cant play it. I tryed Guild Wars it was running fine on highest res, and i had 60 fps there.
Can try WoW now becuase i dont have a account. I think i will call the company that i bought it from on monday and ask them what to do.
Thanks for u help guys :P

Edit: Well one thing, I manage to download the Live update 3, but then some Error came "Flash_MMIO_MAP DeviceIoControl Error" and i can only press ok. The update :censored: my computer it only restarts it over and over again so i did reinstall vista again and here iam now.

Ex Forum Mod

• Hawk
« Reply #14 on: 29-November-08, 20:22:24 »

Allready said DO NOT USE LIVE UPDATE!!! What part of no/not don't you understand? We are trying to help you but you are ignoring our advice.

Your primary concern is that you are using a CPU that is not supported by your MB. Continued use of that combination will kill the MB.

As far as your games go you can't compare playing one with another as each one will react different and stress the graphics in different ways.

siimon

• Neo
« Reply #15 on: 29-November-08, 21:34:04 »

Allready said DO NOT USE LIVE UPDATE!!! What part of no/not don't you understand? We are trying to help you but you are ignoring our advice.

Your primary concern is that you are using a CPU that is not supported by your MB. Continued use of that combination will kill the MB.

As far as your games go you can't compare playing one with another as each one will react different and stress the graphics in different ways.

well..What shall i do? Buy a new cpu? Dont have money for it.
And i have been running this computer since Januari this year, should it be on fire then? ^^

Ex Forum Mod

• Hawk
« Reply #16 on: 29-November-08, 22:17:24 »

Well if you don't have the money to change MB or CPU then use it till it dies. There's nothing we can do about that except let you know what we have allready said.
 As for your games that could be Vista and driver problems as well as weak PSU being a contributing factor. Do you have WinXP that you can try and see if things improve with that OS?

siimon

• Neo
« Reply #17 on: 29-November-08, 23:06:17 »

Well if you don't have the money to change MB or CPU then use it till it dies. There's nothing we can do about that except let you know what we have allready said.
 As for your games that could be Vista and driver problems as well as weak PSU being a contributing factor. Do you have WinXP that you can try and see if things improve with that OS?

I tryed XP and it wasnt better. Well man, one thing is very strange.. I bought this computer at a store, a well-known store, completed. I didnt not build this computer. Do u think they build computer to crash? ^^ Im going to call them on monday and ask what I will do. Thanks for u help anyway Henry, now i know more about the CPU etc :)

Ex Forum Mod

• Hawk
« Reply #18 on: 29-November-08, 23:32:14 »

Now that we know a shop assembled the PC they should be held responsible for seeing that the parts are compatible. They should replace the MB or CPU so that they work as they should. TAKE IT BACK!!! Let them know they made a misstake.
« Last Edit: 29-November-08, 23:33:52 by Henry »

Fredrik

• Hawk
  • There's always a risk.
« Reply #19 on: 29-November-08, 23:57:39 »

Yes, run it till the motherboard dies. Don't think it will take much with it, but you never know.

Find sites that do say the combination is possible. Not that anything is right how ever many do wrong, but it is a little saying for your builders.

siimon

• Neo
« Reply #20 on: 02-December-08, 16:19:54 »

Okey, called the company that i bought it from and they said that it wasnt meant that i got that mother board, so now they sending me a new one:
http://www.komplett.se/k/ki.aspx?sku=343996

i hope it work now ^^

Ex Forum User 3

• Hawk
« Reply #21 on: 02-December-08, 17:41:36 »

No idea, it's Asus.

Fredrik

• Hawk
  • There's always a risk.
« Reply #22 on: 02-December-08, 22:03:32 »

That was a cheap trick! Could they not have bjussat litet!

Ex Forum Mod

• Hawk
« Reply #23 on: 02-December-08, 22:51:01 »

They are going to give you a MB that from what I've read could very well end up DOA and is also rated max. 95W CPU. In that respect it looks like things are going downhill with your supplier there.

Edit It seems those people don't have a clue as to what they're doing.
« Last Edit: 02-December-08, 22:53:02 by Henry »
Pages: [1]   Go Up