Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Why not utilise your system's redundant processing power for a worthy cause, and join the MSI HQ Red Rockets Folding@Home team?

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Windows 7 driver support for the Mega 865 Pro  (Read 5201 times)

danpilborough

• Neo
Windows 7 driver support for the Mega 865 Pro
« on: 26-June-09, 20:02:09 »

Hi,

I'm looking a rebuilding my Mega 865 Pro and was wondering it Windows 7 is worth looking at.

Is anyone running Windows 7 RC on Mega 865 Pro? What issues are you having?

Danny

tainja

• Neo
Re: Windows 7 driver support for the Mega 865 Pro
« Reply #1 on: 13-November-09, 05:42:19 »

Did you ever try windows 7 - how did it work out and were you able to install all the drivers?

Stu

• Hawk
  • Birmingham, UK
    • StuOnline.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: 13-November-09, 08:59:11 »

I don't know for sure, but it should work, and for an old system as this, all the drivers should be included already in Windows 7. Any that aren't, well you'll just have to find them yourself. ;-))
Former moderator and admin, 2004-2012

remeeraz

• Neo
« Reply #3 on: 31-December-09, 15:47:27 »

Hi,

I'm looking a rebuilding my Mega 865 Pro and was wondering it Windows 7 is worth looking at.

Is anyone running Windows 7 RC on Mega 865 Pro? What issues are you having?

Danny

I'm about to try installing Windows 7 64-bit on it. It ran Vista 64 and 32 bit ok with a little problem with the sound drivers not being 100% compatible but that was with the surround sound. The front display, buttons and volume knob never worked under any of the Vista architectures for me cause the software "System Control Manager" was only designed for XP cause it cant detect the necessary hardware that it needs to talk to, to use the display on anything other than XP.

But oh well, here goes!....

remeeraz

• Neo
« Reply #4 on: 31-December-09, 18:11:59 »

:biggthumbsup:

I've successfully installed Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit with all the hardware supported and it is running perfectly. There appears to be no problem with the surround sound either.

Windows 7 Experiece Indexes ;
Processor : 4.1
Memory : 4.9
Graphics : 4.7
Gaming Graphics : 4.7
HDD : 5.9

Tech Specs are;

* Intel P4 Prescot 630 Series 3GHz HT Processor (I have a Prescot 660 Series and have tested this machine with it and noticed massive performance increase but at hugely inflated power consumption. Not good for the poor little aged 220 Watt PSU unless dismantled and thoroughly cleaned -  :nono: do not attempted unless you are a trained electronics service engineer!!!)
* 2 GB OCZ Platinum Edition 2,3,2,5 DDR2 SDRAM
* ASUS Geforce 7600GS 256MB Passively Cooled AGP Graphics Adaptor attached to a Toshi 1920 x 1080i LCD TV
* Hitachi Deskstar 2TB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 32MB Cache

:biggthumbsup: Tested 720 wmv video without any stutter or sync problems. (Without installing any Codec Packs)
 :biggthumbsdown: Tested 1080 Xvid (AVI) WITH a little stutter but no sync problems. (K-lite Mega Codec Pack & 64 bit extensions installed) Suspect this is due to the poor AGP throughput.
 :biggthumbsdown: Tested the same 1080 Xvid with VLC Media Player 1.0.3 (32 bit) and found it to be worse.
 :idea: Updated GPU drivers via Windows Update and re-tested but  :biggthumbsdown: no difference

So far I have tested and successfully installed the following OS's on this machine

:biggthumbsup: Fedora 12 32 + 64 bit (with fire-wire capability)
 :biggthumbsup: Ubuntu 9.10 32 + 64 but (with fire-wire capability)
 :biggthumbsup: Linux MCE 32 bit
 :biggthumbsup: Windows XP MCE 32 bit
 :biggthumbsup: Windows Vista 32 + 64 bit
 :biggthumbsup: Windows 7 64 bit

Conclusion - If you want to watch full HD video and enjoy surround sound, get a system that has a PCI Express Graphics Adaptor, but if you plan on using this system to watch 720 HD vids and surround sound, then it will be fine!

Fredrik

• Hawk
  • There's always a risk.
« Reply #5 on: 01-January-10, 14:14:23 »

I would think your processor is the limiting factor here. Maybe the graphics memory.
Don't know, but it is a Socket 775 system, so maybe you can squeeze a Core 2 Duo in there. Model 7500 for instance, at a 100$.

Stu

• Hawk
  • Birmingham, UK
    • StuOnline.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: 02-January-10, 17:34:54 »

I would think your processor is the limiting factor here. Maybe the graphics memory.
Don't know, but it is a Socket 775 system, so maybe you can squeeze a Core 2 Duo in there. Model 7500 for instance, at a 100$.

No Fredrik, the Mega 865 PRO does not support any Core2Duo CPUs, only Pentium 4:
http://eu.msi.com/index.php?func=prodcpusupport&maincat_no=134&cat2_no=&cat3_no=&prod_no=3
Former moderator and admin, 2004-2012

tainja

• Neo
« Reply #7 on: 06-January-10, 16:26:54 »

I just installed win7 on my mega865 and all is well except my graphics mode does not show 1280x768 and I can't find the Intel 865 drivers on the intel site for win7.

tainja

• Neo
« Reply #8 on: 11-January-10, 14:25:37 »

*****Update****  After much trials and errors I got the XP drivers to finally install for the intel 865G video card.  So all works very well on my Mega 865 with Windows7.

ZDS

• Neo
« Reply #9 on: 15-January-10, 07:35:04 »

Who install Win7, tel me please, are LED display and buttons on face panel function OK? Sorry my english, i'm from Russia
Pages: [1]   Go Up