Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This is a User-to-User community forum run by MSI users for MSI users. If you need to contact MSI directly see: How to contact MSI

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: U123 netbook BIOS - v1.0A is available...  (Read 2473 times)

scout321x

• Cyclone
U123 netbook BIOS - v1.0A is available...
« on: 21-October-09, 15:24:03 »

There is a new BIOS version available: Click Here The web site says it:  1. Modify product name of DMI type 2 (Product name: U-123) 2. Update EC

A few questions:
1) What is DMI type 2?  Why would a name change be important?
2) Has anyone performed this up date?  If so, what is the effect if any?
3) Is the EC update just to change the name too or is it something more substantial (functional)?

I have some mixed emotions about doing BIOS updates for just a name change. I have performed BIOS updates on a U120 I used to own and my current U123 so I am not new to the process for this series conputer. 

Doug
Wind U123, 2 GB RAM, 320 GB HDD, XP Pro SP3, Microsoft bluetooth mouse

Ex Forum User 3

• Hawk
Re: U123 netbook BIOS - v1.0A is available...
« Reply #1 on: 21-October-09, 16:32:10 »

Do you have problems with your current BIOS?

No? Then leave it alone.
BIOS is NOT a driver, it fixes hardware issues if you have them, flashing for fun can also introduce problems.

scout321x

• Cyclone
« Reply #2 on: 21-October-09, 17:33:02 »

Do you have problems with your current BIOS?

No? Then leave it alone.
BIOS is NOT a driver, it fixes hardware issues if you have them, flashing for fun can also introduce problems.

I appreciate your response, however, it does not answer any of my questions. I agree with you that one should not update BIOS just for fun. I am a retired IT pro that basically believes "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". However, if there is a problem with the with BIOS or the EC I want to know about it. I do not plan to do the update at least until I know a great deal more about what it is fixing and maybe not even then.
Doug

Jack

• Ex Forum moderator
  • Power Edition
    • A user initiative by MSI fanatics to support all other MSI product users
« Reply #3 on: 21-October-09, 17:56:50 »

What is DMI type 2?

Look here: http://www.dmtf.org/standards/dmi/

Why would a name change be important?

Well, it is not important.  System Information applications read the BIOS DMI Tables to extract certain information about the system.  I don't know what was the DMI Entry for the Notebook name before, but it was probably somewhat different.  Doesn't matter really, as this is only a cosmetic fix, not a functional one.  Maybe there was a typo before or the information was unprecise.

2) Has anyone performed this up date?  If so, what is the effect if any?

There will be close to no if any effect.

3) Is the EC update just to change the name too or is it something more substantial (functional)?

Could be just code optimization and or some adjustions to adapt to the changes done to the system BIOS.

----------------------

Again, if you do not have any issues with your current Version, there is no reason to update.

scout321x

• Cyclone
« Reply #4 on: 22-October-09, 01:35:40 »

Thanks very much, Jack, for your reply. I now know more than I did when I created the post.

However, assuming, if that is what you did, that the EC update is associated only with a name change is not useful to me. In my experience (I started writing computer code in octal punched into paper tape in 1962; although not so much after I went into IT management in early 80's), assumptions are not worth very much. Although I really do appreciate your replying!!

If you are correct, then I am really surprised that MSi would create a BIOS update just for a name change. I know I wouldn't.

And not all problems are immediately apparent. I do not think I am having problems with my U123 but only time will tell. I have only had it for about 3 months. It sure would be helpful if Msi would be a little more verbose in describing the reason for the update.
Doug

Jack

• Ex Forum moderator
  • Power Edition
    • A user initiative by MSI fanatics to support all other MSI product users
« Reply #5 on: 22-October-09, 10:02:21 »

that the EC update is associated only with a name change is not useful to me

The EC Update (Embedded Controller) and the name change in the DMI Table (concerning the system BIOS) are two different things. 

I am really surprised that MSi would create a BIOS update just for a name change.

Again, I do not know what the entry looked like before.  If it contained the model number (MS-N033) instead of the marketing name (U123), there may have been users contacting technical support wondering why some system information tools mentioned nothing about the "U123".  Also, please keep in mind, that there are OEM-Versions of the Netbook out there which are not called U123 but are still based on the MS-N033 PCB (using different (OEM) BIOS Releases). So, even though this is a cosmetic fix that has no effect on the general functionality of the netbook, it may be important when looked at from an information perspective.

It sure would be helpful if Msi would be a little more verbose in describing the reason for the update.

Well, they usually are.  However, it depends on what has changed and if it is worth talking about.  Look at the latest release for the Wind U100 for comparison:

http://global.msi.eu/index.php?func=downloaddetail&type=bios&maincat_no=135&prod_no=1474

scout321x

• Cyclone
« Reply #6 on: 22-October-09, 16:08:39 »

Thanks, Jack for staying with me on this subject.

I had not thought about OEM versions. I need to take my blinders off.

Here is what my current BIOS says:

Market Name U123
Model Name  MS-N033

Systems Information:

BIOS Version  EN033IMS Ver.107
Build Date 07/27/2009 17:15:13

EC Version    N033EMS1 Ver. 109
Build Date 04/24/2009

And the example of the U100 descriptions is a good one. I tend not to look at the other models (more blinders I guess).

Thanks again!
Doug
Pages: [1]   Go Up