Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Forum FAQ contains answers to many frequently asked questions, please browse or search there before posting.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MSI Wind Notebook Factory Restore  (Read 58192 times)

jdelveau

MSI Wind Notebook Factory Restore
« on: 30-December-09, 18:16:39 »

I want to restore my msi wind notebook to factory default.  The performance has been getting slow and I would like to start from scratch.  I can not seem to get the F3 function to work.  I do not have an external drive and if the computer came with any sort of recovery dvd I do not have it here with me (I bought the computer out of state and left the box and everything that might have come with it at the winter home.)

I have backed up what I want to a memory card.

I have looked for recovery files on both partitions but do not see anything that looks familiar.  I hope I don't need to go purchase the OS besides the fact I doubt I can even buy xp now that 7 is out and I would doubt the performance of 7 on the wind u100 is going to be very good.

Thanks  -  Jim

anDrasch

• Platinum
  • oops!!
    • www.msi-forum.de
Re: MSI Wind Notebook Factory Restore
« Reply #1 on: 30-December-09, 18:36:00 »

F3 Recovery:Try it once more.
Here is a video instuction How to Recover Your NoteBook System ? ->

I beg your pardon! I'm afraid my English is a bit rusty.

jdelveau

« Reply #2 on: 30-December-09, 18:49:38 »

I had found that video in my previous search and watched it again.  I only have the DEL and F11 options listed at the boot sequence.  I noticed in the video that F3 and TAB also appear on the screen.  Should F3 work even when it is not listed as in then video?  I would love to use the F3 solution but seems to not be an option for me?

I suspect I may have used the dvd recovery when I was at home with an external dvd drive and recovery disc.

Jim
« Last Edit: 30-December-09, 18:53:07 by jdelveau »

WeAreNotAlone

• Afterburner
« Reply #3 on: 30-December-09, 20:32:34 »

I had found that video in my previous search and watched it again.  I only have the DEL and F11 options listed at the boot sequence.  I noticed in the video that F3 and TAB also appear on the screen.  Should F3 work even when it is not listed as in then video?  I would love to use the F3 solution but seems to not be an option for me?

I suspect I may have used the dvd recovery when I was at home with an external dvd drive and recovery disc.

Jim

Q: How many partitions does the machine currently have on it?

GO into DISK MANGEMENT...

Does it look like

C:\ OS and APPS
D:\ DATA ( You confiqure apps (and your brain) to store data here.
E:\ Recovery partition

Or is it

C:\ OS, APPS, DATA...

EDIT, I see you say you have two partitions... what is on the second?

PS: On that video it says it wipes all data off the drive of ALL partitions, another poster in another thread said she (if memory serves me right) had run a recovery but it did not wipe the D:\ Data partiton (which is a good thing) it wiped C:\ and restored it back. (Maybe she used F3?) 
Step 1 of the video also says if DVD Data Recovery option  is used.F3 will no longer work... (Which I think is a bogus way of confiquring something...)

So it sounds like you used the DVD recovery disc.... F3 is toast.

Another reason to use a REAL imaging program such as Acronis True Image)
PS: Acronis True Image also has a app within it called Acronics Secure Zone..... which is does a recovery via "on-the-hd" partition just like OEM.

Big difference via Acronis True Image is you can create a image at ANY time, backup to external media and restore your system to a WORKING STATE (EG: Everything configured the way YOU want it.)

Free partitioning /backup app:  (Got to find the linky)

« Last Edit: 30-December-09, 20:34:23 by WeAreNotAlone »
A5000-025US

jdelveau

« Reply #4 on: 30-December-09, 22:06:05 »

I checked to be sure and I DO have two partitions c: 40 and D: 70G

I guess the OS image was on a third partition that was wiped when I ran the dvd install.

My question is where do I start now without the dvd that is not here with me now?

Will this Atom run Win7 or will it be painfully slow?

I like the idea of using some sort of image capture for recovery in the future but for now I still have to figure out how to scrape and reinstall the OS.

Jim

WeAreNotAlone

• Afterburner
« Reply #5 on: 30-December-09, 23:02:00 »

I checked to be sure and I DO have two partitions c: 40 and D: 70G

I guess the OS image was on a third partition that was wiped when I ran the dvd install.

My question is where do I start now without the dvd that is not here with me now?

Will this Atom run Win7 or will it be painfully slow?

I like the idea of using some sort of image capture for recovery in the future but for now I still have to figure out how to scrape and reinstall the OS.

Jim

One option would be to obtain imaging software, make a image of your current install, then fix whatever is causing it to run slow. If you screw up, restore from the image, try again... If you get unit back running "fast",  "Image" the system /save those images.

Options:

1: Hunt down that external dvd drive- see if the recovery disc is still in it, Restore, then image with a REAL imaging app.
* Note if you do find the recovery cd, I'd make a ISO of the disc, then reburn from the ISO(s) and run a restore from those discs to verify they work.  I'd be sure to save the ISO(s) to a safe place. This would allow you to recreate the Recovery discs at any time and you could be assured they would "work".
1a:Obtain recovery disc from MSI.
2: Return to MSI, have them re-image machine.
3: Extract OEM Royalty Key from existing install, Obtain a OEM install image, re-install, import the royalty key /certificate if needed.
*OEM machines have a SLP/SLIC markers in the bios that the OS "looks at" each time the machine is booted, if the markers are there and the correct royalty key /certificate are present the OS install is validated (activated).
4: Download drivers- install, configure everything, then IMAGE the HD with a REAL IMAGING APP.
5: Store your recovery discs/images in a safe place, make multiple copies on different media, burn at slowest speed, and always choose "verify" image.

*It's a good policy to "test" your images.... If you have a spare HD, you can remove the existing hd, re-image machine to spare hd, verify, then store away images, and that spare drive...

« Last Edit: 31-December-09, 06:48:35 by WeAreNotAlone »
A5000-025US

jdelveau

« Reply #6 on: 31-December-09, 14:17:37 »

All my luck is NOT bad!  I found my MSI Recovery disc.

It has been too long since I used it last, I need to BOOT from that disc is that right?  I copied the files on the disc to an SD card but what if anything can I do to get it to boot from the SD?

Or, am I going to have to go get another external CD Drive?

This is a long shot, I have a rocketfish external hard drive (ide) enclosure that I use with a hard drive from my old gateway machine.  Can I put the cd or dvd drive from the gateway into the rocketfish and make that bootable?

Thanks for ALL the help guys!  (Did I mention, computers make me CRAZY!!!)

Jim

WeAreNotAlone

• Afterburner
« Reply #7 on: 31-December-09, 20:21:46 »

All my luck is NOT bad!  I found my MSI Recovery disc.

Make a ISO of the disc,then burn a cd/dvd adn install from the "burned copy" so as to verify the ISO is "Good", that way if needed you can re-create a lost /damaged recovery disc.

It has been too long since I used it last, I need to BOOT from that disc is that right?

Boot from it=YES... (Note on D:\ DATA PARTITION (The place were you should be storing DATA to, the MSI video (and one of the Mods here) says data ALL partitions will be destroyed. This said (1) poster said her data was not destroyed. You might want to back-up critical data.)

I copied the files on the disc to an SD card but what if anything can I do to get it to boot from the SD?

I asked basically the same question in the Recovery Disc Creator app, Running a recovery from USB Flash drive. thread.   
I was amazed that no-one posted any useful info in the thread. http://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=133770.0
(To tell you the truth I as taken aback by the (1) response in the thread that was posted.)

You might want to voice your concerns in the above thread as well. EG There should be a way to run a restore from a USB stick, not all of us have external dvd drives these days.

Or, am I going to have to go get another external CD Drive?

More than likely... read the response in the above thread.

This is a long shot, I have a rocketfish external hard drive (ide) enclosure that I use with a hard drive from my old gateway machine.  Can I put the cd or dvd drive from the gateway into the rocketfish and make that bootable?

It may or may not work, It has to be a bootable enclosure and the Bios must be able to see it.

(TIP: Note the age /how old devices are/Post model numbers.)

Thanks for ALL the help guys!  (Did I mention, computers make me CRAZY!!!)

Jim
« Last Edit: 31-December-09, 20:26:12 by WeAreNotAlone »
A5000-025US

Digbee

• Winki
« Reply #8 on: 03-January-10, 02:04:13 »

Please bear with me I too want to be a Jedi knight, but have a lot to learn about the techy ways.

I have a U130 with Win7. It crashed 1st time I used it yesterday - or rather would not start on a reboot.
So am being extra cautious and taking the time to read as much as I can to prevent losing all my data (holiday photo's on it) on a trip planned.

I am thinking of getting a SSD or initially another SATA HDD.
When you speak of the 'recovery disk' do you mean the one that was with the notebook that says Driver Utilities and Manual on it ?
Also if I were to get another hdd would that CD have all the data required to install Win7 onto my new U130 with the atom n450 and 2GB ram?

Finding my way - so sorry if I seem a bit dumb.

BTW The F3 recovery is great, just remember to hit enter when the 'knight rider' light bar starts.

HDD
OS_Install (C:) 61.8GB free of 83.3GB
Data (D:) 53.2 GB free of 55.5 GB

Cheers

Peter

Notebook:
MSI U130  Win7

Mods:
Upgraded to 2GB RAM

Orignal Architecture:
Intel Atom N450 (512K Cache, 1.66 GHz)
http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=42503&processor=N450&spec-codes=
Intel NM10 Express Chipset
http://www.intel.com/products/Internet_device/chipsets/NM10/NM10-overview.htm

chantelle92

• Neo
« Reply #9 on: 15-January-10, 10:04:54 »

i need help recovering mine i understand what to do i hit f3 clicked the manager clicked ok on the things that popped up. but the progress bar that loads looks full but nothing happens it just keeps counting how long its taking 501 min -- sec.  so i am retrying to recover it. is it normal for it to take this long? i did call msi tech support they got me to recover it its just not going on to the next part. can this take over a day? i do understand if you have more files/music/pics it can take long but this long?

what first happend it would start to boot up msi shows up then the option to do safe start up or normal start up "i tried them all" then the windows xp screen shows up as nomal starts to load takes a min. after this "the blue screen of death" pops up. not even long enough for me to read what is says maybe 3 sec not even. then goes back to msi then back to the failed start ip then back to windows loader and so on..
 i want to know how long should it take can it take a whole day or more? i have it plugged in.
the man on the phone said once its recovered it will boot like new. but then progess looks full and takes forever..

might i add it worked fine all the other times i used it then the next morning it would start. no programs were added or removed.

reply to chantelle_1992@hotmail.com

The_Real_Chris

• Neo
« Reply #10 on: 04-February-10, 02:16:57 »

Mine died a few days ago. I found using a usb stick configured to NTFS, made bootable and loaded with knoppix 6.2 using UNetbootin booted the system and allowed me to save the pictures as well as conduct a repair.

puddy999

• Neo
« Reply #11 on: 12-December-10, 18:58:25 »

For anyone looking at this Post, ignore everything and use the link provided to show you ... it does work, Jim is just a little slow:

Even if you don't see an opion for F3, hold it down anyway, then when the windows startup screen shows hit enter and you are on your way ... there are no CDs or DVDs with netbooks so don't even go there.

theaks30

• Neo
« Reply #12 on: 01-February-11, 11:54:05 »

just reboot the system if the f3 is not working, i personally could use F3 before installing windows 7 on my u100
but then afterwards, i could not!

so i tried F8 instead
click F8, choose the first option
and then it will load system recovery  :)
 :smile:
then you are done, you can do whatever you want, recover, memory check ups...

hope it helped :)

Mark

• Xpower
  • Former Moderator
« Reply #13 on: 01-February-11, 13:50:24 »

Thanks for posting, theaks30, but this is an old topic and as such is now closed.

Topic locked.
Pages: [1]   Go Up