Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This is a User-to-User community forum run by MSI users for MSI users. If you need to contact MSI directly see: How to contact MSI

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MSI Boards, AMD and SSD Compatibility  (Read 3865 times)

walkerx

• Twin Frozr
MSI Boards, AMD and SSD Compatibility
« on: 16-May-10, 13:06:23 »

Hi,

Not sure if in correct area, if not can a mod move it please.

I have GSkill 64GB Falcon II SSD. This had been working for sometime on my DKA790GX Platinum motherboard, but then Windows 7 (64bit HP) started crashing and saying the data was corrupted on the drive. After numerous attempts I managed to re-install W7 but I'm unable to disable the write-cache on the drive so it is always enabled and I need it disabled. I've then tried the drive on a K9NSLI board and W7 won't even install as it can't create the partitions.

I took it back to supplier who tested it and said nothing was wrong with the drive and they were able to disable the cache and also install windows without problems, yet back in my two AMD boards from MSI I still get the same issues.

I then decided to install into my laptop which has SATA and is Intel Celeron based, and the drive works fine. I can install W7 without issues and can also disable the write-cache.

Could this be an AMD compatibility issue or a fault with the MSI boards. I know my DKA790GX is less than two years old and would be still under warranty, but how would I go about further diagnosing the issues on this board if my standard SATA drives work fine.

If I find the drive is in compatible where do I stand with this, as I've had it nearly 5 months now..

thanks in advance
Main: Antec 1200|3 x Xig's|Akasa FC|MSI DKA790GX Plat|Phenom II X4 940|4GB Corsair Dominator 1066|ASUS 4870x2 2GB|Seagate 750|NEC AD-7170S|Tagan 900BZ|Roccat Kone + Tarrantula|X-230 Speakers|X-Fi Xtreme GF-PS
Media Box: Popcorn C-200 + Xbox 360 Elite
Storage: Freenas 820GB|Freecom 500GB NAS

Stu

• Hawk
  • Birmingham, UK
    • StuOnline.co.uk
Re: MSI Boards, AMD and SSD Compatibility
« Reply #1 on: 16-May-10, 23:47:52 »

This had been working for sometime on my DKA790GX Platinum motherboard,

Could this be an AMD compatibility issue or a fault with the MSI boards.

If it worked for a while, then it can't be a compatibility issue or fault with the board, else it would never have worked.
Former moderator and admin, 2004-2012

Aaron

• HydroGen
  • BOOST!
« Reply #2 on: 17-May-10, 04:38:37 »

What S-ATA mode are you using?  IDE, I presume.
Refrain from having to solve most of your problems by not creating them in the first place.

DDR3 Memory Standards: Blurry Lines
Integrated Memory Controllers (IMC)
Intel EIST and Processor C-states
Overclock Database 2.0

walkerx

• Twin Frozr
« Reply #3 on: 17-May-10, 17:59:17 »

If it worked for a while, then it can't be a compatibility issue or fault with the board, else it would never have worked.

I Stu, the issue was only picked up due to a memory fault causing my system to blue screen and then windows wanting to repair itself. Prior to that I had no issues and never realised that the write-cache was enabled. The problem is when it's enabled you have the chance of data corruption/loss as in my case when the system was blue-screening.

It is looking to be more of a compatibility issue with the drive and AMD motherboards as further testing today shows we get the same issues on an ASUS M3A78 motherboard, but on an ASROCK P4I65G (intel) the drive works fine..

We have a few more tests to perform, with the last being tomorrow on an Intel i5 system.

@Aaron, we have tried on both IDE and ACHI settings
Main: Antec 1200|3 x Xig's|Akasa FC|MSI DKA790GX Plat|Phenom II X4 940|4GB Corsair Dominator 1066|ASUS 4870x2 2GB|Seagate 750|NEC AD-7170S|Tagan 900BZ|Roccat Kone + Tarrantula|X-230 Speakers|X-Fi Xtreme GF-PS

Ex Forum User 3

• Hawk
« Reply #4 on: 17-May-10, 18:59:08 »

Run >>Memtest86<<, if it errors you have found the cause for sure.
A P4 has a different memory controller as AMD, it it could well be a memory problem you have and not a drive problem.

walkerx

• Twin Frozr
« Reply #5 on: 17-May-10, 19:52:17 »

Run >>Memtest86<<, if it errors you have found the cause for sure.
A P4 has a different memory controller as AMD, it it could well be a memory problem you have and not a drive problem.

Hi Bas,

Not sure if seen my reply, but as mentioned there was a memory problem initially which brought this issue to light (and now using different member which has no fault), but we've done further tests since my reply and every AMD based board has an issue with the drive, while every Intel based system has worked so far.

At first I thought this might just be and MSI/AMD issue as all my boards in every pc I've got is an MSI board, so to eliminate whether or not it was an MSI/AMD issue I've asked someone else to do some testing on their pc's as well which aren't MSI boards.

All AMD's have the same results - if use as slave you can't disable the write-cache - if use as master you can't boot from it properly. If use an Intel based system the drive works as intended both as slave and master, you can disable the write-cache on it, it has no problems installing windows7 or booting from it.

I cannot see 5 different AMD boards from different manufacturer's all having a memory issue. This has to be something with how AMD chipsets deal with SSD drives (ie does it treat it like memory or like a hdd)...

Fujitsu Intel Core 2 Laptop - Works fine
DKA790GX-Plat (Phenom II x4 940) - Can't disable write-cache, issues installing and rebooting
MSI K9N-SLI-2F (AMD 5600) - Can't install as says can't create partition
ASROCK P4I65G (Celeron 2.6) - Works fine
ASUS M3A78 (Phenom 9950) - Can't disable write-cache as slave, won't boot as master
Asus M2N-SLI (AMD 4200+ DC) - Can't disable write-cache as slave, won't boot as master
Asus A7N8X deluxe (Athlon 2500+) - Can't disable write-cache as slave, won't boot as master

I've also passed this information to the supplier and doing various testing.
« Last Edit: 17-May-10, 20:01:23 by walkerx »

Ex Forum User 3

• Hawk
« Reply #6 on: 18-May-10, 11:23:58 »

Did you see this? http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=4591

I doubt it's a board or chipset problem, looks to me there are bugs in the drive that aren't sorted yet.

walkerx

• Twin Frozr
« Reply #7 on: 18-May-10, 11:46:32 »

Did you see this? http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=4591

I doubt it's a board or chipset problem, looks to me there are bugs in the drive that aren't sorted yet.

Hi Bas,

Yes I have already seen that page and the drive is on the latest firmware - I have a feeling it's more to do with the controller on the SSD as nearly all reviews are based on using Intel boards and I've not found one yet based on using the drive on an AMD system....

Ex Forum User 3

• Hawk
« Reply #8 on: 18-May-10, 11:49:34 »

You should really ask G-skill what the problem is.
You tested too many board to rule out a motherboard problem.

Maybe you have a faulty unit.

walkerx

• Twin Frozr
« Reply #9 on: 18-May-10, 19:41:06 »

You should really ask G-skill what the problem is.
You tested too many board to rule out a motherboard problem.

Maybe you have a faulty unit.

Hi Bas,

I've asked GSKill originally and they said sent it back for RMA, but as it has to go to Taiwan from the UK I asked my supplier as under warranty. They tested it and couldn't find a problem and they've said if GSKill do the same they will bill me for it.

I've since spoken to someone from the suppliers and we're doing more tests. It seems the GSKill uses an updated Indilinx Barefoot called Indilinx ECO, while most other manufacturer's use the Indilinx Barefoot controller..

regards

Fredrik

• Hawk
  • There's always a risk.
« Reply #10 on: 18-May-10, 21:20:54 »

What is the exact error message you get? Is it a Blue-screen?
Is your disk-cable still good and healthy? Like Stu says, if it worked once something bad has got to happen to make it not work.
On what other AMD systems have you tried it?
The 'controller', isn't that totally inside the disk?

Maybe the shop will let you borrow a different SSD to try? Not likely, but asking is almost free.

---------------
Off:  :smile: http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=261&threadid=133663

walkerx

• Twin Frozr
« Reply #11 on: 18-May-10, 22:47:03 »

What is the exact error message you get? Is it a Blue-screen?
Is your disk-cable still good and healthy? Like Stu says, if it worked once something bad has got to happen to make it not work.
On what other AMD systems have you tried it?
The 'controller', isn't that totally inside the disk?

Maybe the shop will let you borrow a different SSD to try? Not likely, but asking is almost free.

---------------
Off:  :smile: http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=261&threadid=133663

Please read my posts further up and most of the questions you've raised have been answered.

I'm in talks with the supplier to see how we can resolve this

Fredrik

• Hawk
  • There's always a risk.
« Reply #12 on: 19-May-10, 03:05:32 »

Here are a few AMD boards, no problems. http://www.fudzilla.com/content/view/17637/40/1/3/

Children should never have more than one question at a time.  :lol_anim:
1 Have you yourself tested your disk on those motherboards?!
2 What is the exact error message you get?
3 Is your disk-cable still good and healthy? Like Stu says, if it worked once something bad has got to happen to make it not work.
4 Maybe the shop will let you borrow a different SSD to try? Not likely, but asking is almost free.

Ex Forum User 3

• Hawk
« Reply #13 on: 19-May-10, 10:17:00 »

Fred is has been confirmed bad on many boards, except Intel.
I'm pretty sure the drive is bad.

If it was just 1 board then it could be the board, but it's many, if it was an AMD problem the Internet would be filled with people complain about this drive.
But that is not the case.
Also it's AMD boards with different chipsets.

Sorry, I say the drive is broken, too many things rules out to be anything else.

In my humble opinion: When the drive is pushed to it's limits it stops working.

walkerx

• Twin Frozr
« Reply #14 on: 19-May-10, 16:59:38 »

Hi Bas,

I have to agree with you - if was just one board then I would put it down to that particular board, but as it's happening on more than one then there is an issue.

Here's a further update

On a Gigabyte M57SLI-S4 (nforce 570 sli) motherboard running windows xp and the ssd as slave, the write-cache can be disabled without problems, but there were intermittent post problems with drive connected.

On a ASUS nforce  4 motherboard the pc wouldn't get past post with the SSD installed (will confirm exact model board later).

On a Gigabyte P55-US3L we were able to disable write-cache under Windows 7.

Ex Forum User 3

• Hawk
« Reply #15 on: 19-May-10, 18:50:40 »

The drive should work regardless of the cache enabled or not.
Cache can/will push a drive harder then without.

RMA the drive as suggested Gskill.

Take your drive to your supplier with the letter from Gskill, I'm sure they will RMA it via the proper channels.

walkerx

• Twin Frozr
« Reply #16 on: 20-May-10, 11:33:15 »

The drive should work regardless of the cache enabled or not.
Cache can/will push a drive harder then without.

RMA the drive as suggested Gskill.

Take your drive to your supplier with the letter from Gskill, I'm sure they will RMA it via the proper channels.

Hi Bas,

I had taken it back to the supplier with the letter and RMA number from Gskill, but they wanted to test it and came back and said they couldn't find a fault, even though I said it was intemittent and Gskill have authorised an RMA for it. The drive is only @ 94% good with 103 bad blocks. I even showed them the video of what was happening with the drive so they could see it was intermittent. I'm going to be speaking to another member of staff there today to see what they advise.

But even odder we retried the drive back in both the MSI boards and it's now working fine. I've never seen anything like it and can only think there is definitely something wrong with the drive
« Last Edit: 20-May-10, 11:43:51 by walkerx »
Pages: [1]   Go Up