Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Why not utilise your system's redundant processing power for a worthy cause, and join the MSI HQ Red Rockets Folding@Home team?

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: BIOS doesn't recocnize IDE  (Read 3550 times)

Phutznfind

• Winki
BIOS doesn't recocnize IDE
« on: 07-November-10, 01:49:51 »

Apparently I made a mistake Posting/hijacking another post :bonk: and I apologize for my ignorance. :worship:  I hope this section is where my question belongs  :confused2: 
My p965platinum's BIOS won't even show my IDE drives,  sometimes,  well most of the time..

OS Name   Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Version   5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer   Microsoft Corporation
System Name   
System Manufacturer   MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO.,LTD
System Model   MS-7238
System Type   X86-based PC
Processor   x86 Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 1 GenuineIntel ~2999 MHz
BIOS Version/Date   American Megatrends Inc. V1.8, 12/1/2007
SMBIOS Version   2.5
Windows Directory   C:\WINDOWS
System Directory   C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device   \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale   United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer   Version = "5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2111)"
User Name   
Time Zone   Mountain Daylight Time
Total Physical Memory   2,048.00 MB (Corsair XMS2 DHX [matched pair] 2 x 2GB DDR2 6400C4DHX cas5) running 5,5,5,18
Available Physical Memory   1.43 GB
Total Virtual Memory   2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory   1.96 GB
Page File Space   3.85 GB
Page File   C:\pagefile.sys

I have reset the CMOS several times and once in a great while the IDE and the devices,  1 WD60GB HDD and 1 Asus 1814 DVDR/RW,  will show and work.   I have changed out the cables several times and It showed up one time.  I just bought a new cable (24" rnd 80) and that hasn't helped. I have checked the power plugs to the devices and they have power.     I have set the drives from IDE - SATA - RAID etc.   No go.  The DVD's jumper is set to Master and is at the end of the cable,  the HDD is set to Slave  on the middle of the cable.  I have a Seagate 320GB HD on the SATA plug running in IDE, (as it shows in the BIOS)
Can't see a correlation but Boot.ini running in PAE mode.
Could there be something wrong with the board or the BIOS?
Twice I have done a hard shutdown and it has showed up.  But when I restart or shut it down for the night It won't show when it starts back up??   System Restore does nothing.
On other old BIOS' I could hit a key to "detect" drives,  but this BIOS has no option for that.  Everything it "Auto".
Again I sincerely apologize for "hijacking" the other post!  X-((     Any help would be appreciated

Ex Forum Mod

• Hawk
Re: BIOS doesn't recocnize IDE
« Reply #1 on: 07-November-10, 06:42:09 »

HDD should be master and DVD should be slave. HDD jumpered as 'Master' goes on the end black connector and the DVD jumpered as 'Slave' goes on the middle gray connector.

" I have set the drives from IDE - SATA - RAID etc. "

Set to IDE

Wonkanoby

• Lightning
« Reply #2 on: 07-November-10, 07:34:08 »

whats the hard drive
P5Q Deluxe
Intel QX 6700
4GB OCZ
60 GB Vertex drive
ATI 5850

Stu

• Hawk
  • Birmingham, UK
    • StuOnline.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: 07-November-10, 12:21:00 »

And what power supply?

In fact, what else is in your system? >>Posting Guide<<
Former moderator and admin, 2004-2012

Phutznfind

• Winki
« Reply #4 on: 08-November-10, 04:04:41 »

HI again,
I think I have all the info you ask for.
Processor: Intel Pentium4 531  PRESCOTT  3.00GHz
               Family: F,   Stepping: 1 ,  REV: 17   Core stepping: EO,   Technology: 90nm
               Multiplier x FSB:  15.0 x 200.0
BIOS:   American Megatrend Vers.  1.8
Operating system:  Win XP Pro  Sp3  w/ all updates.
Power Supply:   Leadman "POWMAX" ATX 6100C,  Serial ATA ready,  3 step fan control,   Shielding tube to reduce EMI.        300W.    +3.3V -28A,   +5V - 30A,   +12V - 15A,  -5V - 0.3A,  -12V - 0.8A,  +5Vsb -2.0A
OP sys HDD:  Seagate "Barracuda" 320GB (SATA)7200.10, mod. #ST3320820as,   +5V - 0.72A,  +12V - .052A
*Backup HDD: On IDE cable,  WD 60GB, Mod. #WD600BB00CFCO
*DVDR:  On IDE cable, ASUS "QuieTrack" DRW-1814BL
2 front USB2 w/MS wireless Mobile mouse
USB (rear): w/MS "Comfortcurve" 2000 v1.0 Keyboard
USB (rear): HP "PrecisionScan"  scanner  Note:   only hook this up when I need a scan,  not very often.
USB (rear): Kodak Z700 docking station
USB (rear)  HP Deskjet 940C Printer, Note: Haven't used this in about a year
Video Card:  NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500 256MB   vid bios: vers-4.34.20.87.00  all up to date drivers. Firmware vers.175.19
FANS,  other then PSU, 3,  1 looks to be 100mm? (rear),  1 front 70mm,  and CPU fan  none speed regulated
and lastly the floppy disc
Memory listed above.
This configuration HAS shown and operated before and as mentioned above, for whatever reason, will show in the BIOS once in a while.  HDD set to IDE, and "Enhanced" (SATA1).   I have accessed the WD HDD and burned a DVD within the last 4 weeks. then it didn't show and after hard shutdowns and resetting the CMOS sometimes it/they would be recognized by the BIOS,  but not in about the last 2+ weeks.
Even, as now, the computer runs without a hitch.  Pretty fast and only one glitch once in awhile,  that is I have a little difficult time getting the internet connection to go.  But after a restart (or two) it works. :confused2:
Do you have any info or suggestions?  Sure would like to see it all work.
I'm not a rich man but have thought about a better PSU. Just can swing it right away.
I really do like this motherboard.  I've had a few others and this has been the best with more options then I think I'll ever use.
Thanks for anything you can share.   I know you guys volunteer your time and so that is really, really appreciated.
Thanks!! :hat tip:
Marv

« Last Edit: 08-November-10, 04:17:19 by Phutznfind »

Wonkanoby

• Lightning
« Reply #5 on: 08-November-10, 05:27:30 »

On IDE cable,  WD 60GB, Mod. #WD600BB00CFCO

check its jumper settings

wd alone have 2 master settings

as marked with jumper if it has a slave

or jumperless if master alone on ide
P5Q Deluxe
Intel QX 6700
4GB OCZ
60 GB Vertex drive
ATI 5850

Phutznfind

• Winki
« Reply #6 on: 09-November-10, 03:53:36 »

On IDE cable,  WD 60GB, Mod. #WD600BB00CFCO

check its jumper settings

wd alone have 2 master settings

as marked with jumper if it has a slave

or jumperless if master alone on ide

Hi Wonk..
I just checked all the jumpers on the WD 60Gig..  I did have it set to slave  hooked to the middle of the cable.

The WD HD shows this:
Looking at the back of the drive from left to right:
1st- pm2 ?? don't have a clue what this is?
2nd- No markings
3rd-  Master
4th-  Slave
5th-  Cable select

Ok this is what I just did.   I took out both the DVD and the WD HDD (IDE)  I change the WD to "Master" and put it on the end of the cable.   I changed the jumper on the DVD to "Slave" and put it in the middle. I checked all the other cables for tightness in case I might have moved them.  All OK. :smile:
Now,  since I know win XP Pro sp3,  32bit won't recognize (for the most part) more then 2 Gigs of memory, I decided to remove one of my memory sticks.  It came up, of course as 2048 GBs and it booted just fine.  As a matter of fact the internet connection came up faster then it has for quite some time. Didn't have to reboot.   I was a little surprised there.  Be that as it may the IDE drives still didn't show.  The Bios has been set to "load optimum".  (for a few days now)

In looking over my system and seeing exactly what PSU I have,  I was a little surprised there also.  I, for whatever reason, always assumed the PSU was a 450W unit :bonk:.  As I learned and as you can see it is only a 300W.

Earlier I had MSI and,  I forget the site,  but they had a section where one could see if their power supply was adequate.  To try and make this shorter,  It said I needed 285 Watts.   Knowing this and knowing that a "good" unit should supply 80% or better I calculate that mine running at best would only supply + or- 240 watts.
I'm not sure whether this has anything to do with the BIOS not recognizing the IDE but overall wouldn't or couldn't it have a negative affect somewhere down the road?  I know THAT's another subject but I don't know what effect the PSU has on what exactly. X-((

So at least I'm leaning closer to getting a better PSU.   Any reccommendation?

Thanks for listening!
Marv

Ex Forum Mod

• Hawk
« Reply #7 on: 09-November-10, 04:09:55 »

Corsair CX430 or CX500 at >> newegg << if you don't plan on serious PC upgrade anytime soon.

Jack

• Ex Forum moderator
  • Power Edition
    • A user initiative by MSI fanatics to support all other MSI product users
« Reply #8 on: 09-November-10, 09:20:04 »

Be that as it may the IDE drives still didn't show.

Just a side note:  The IDE/PATA port is hosted by the secondary JMicron Chipset which has its own BIOS/Firmware.  That is why the connected IDE/PATA drives will NEVER show up in the device list in main BIOS Setup.  However, they should appear in the boot sequence list, the BIOS Boot Menu (F11 after start-up) and in the JMicron Firmware status summary that appears right after the main P.O.S.T. Status Screen.  These are the only places you will be able to see the drives. 

Phutznfind

• Winki
« Reply #9 on: 10-November-10, 04:11:40 »

Corsair CX430 or CX500 at >> newegg << if you don't plan on serious PC upgrade anytime soon.
Hi Wonk..
I just checked all the jumpers on the WD 60Gig..  I did have it set to slave  hooked to the middle of the cable.....

Greetings gentilemen,

1st-  Henry,  Thank you for your suggestion,  However after exhausting research thru both MSI and various memory manufacturers(believe me I searched and studied until I went with what I have)  I only purchased this set two months ago at $135 at Newegg.  I checked all the combinations of the memory slots to find the best results and fastest. I think if I remember right I checked 16 different combinations for the new set.  All checked out pretty close and I put the best combination in the best slots at the time. As far as I can tell at this time I have the best memory I can get.  But maybe I just missed something,  I hope not after spending that kind of money!

2nd- Hi wonk and thank for your answer.
As you mention, the JMicron chipset?  What you say I have never heard of and that IS very interesting!  For some ungodly reason and maybe because of all the reading etc. that I have done  I have had my suspicions about JMicron.
Also as you said I have seen where after I have gone into 'setup' and the drive doesn't show, it would show in the (again as you say) in the boot sequence.   Then it would appear in 'My Computer'.   From then on as I would enter setup I have always checked the boot sequence.  However, it hasn't shown up since the last time...quite a while ago (+or- 3 wks).  I have frequently paused the POST screen to see if it would show rather then get into the setup.  It hasn't.
I was unaware of the JMicron BIOS issue.  Is there any way I can control this?  Do I need different JMicron drivers or?     Heck, now I feel even more stupid, and I didn't think THAT was possible..ha ha.
I have always tried to get the latest updates and drivers so I "assumed" that sort of thing wouldn't be an issue  :bonk:
Thank you for your enlightening information.  Can you suggest any more?  :worship:  Please!

Oh, one other thing.   Should I think more on a better PSU?  Any suggestions here?  If this is the wrong place and doesn't relate to this specific issue just guide me to the right place please, Thanks
Thanks again!
Marv

Phutznfind

• Winki
« Reply #10 on: 10-November-10, 04:29:00 »

Hey Wonk, my apologies for for not capitalising you name :bonk:   Put yourself right up there with me not caping Gods name too,  Sorry! :sleep:

Ex Forum Mod

• Hawk
« Reply #11 on: 10-November-10, 04:44:45 »

Check my link to newegg, it is for Corsair PSU's, not memory.

Phutznfind

• Winki
« Reply #12 on: 11-November-10, 02:23:21 »

Henry, Henry, Henry.......Wow,  I did it again!  My mistake!!   I was so concerned about all the other stuff I didn't even connect your reply to PSU's.  And so I checked your link.  What do you think about a 600 or 650 watt unit  or more?  (oh, and from what I've read Corsair seems to be a good one)  I want to keep this MOBO etc and if able might add not only another HDD or two but also of upgrading the processor and the video card and maybe a card reader and then the operating system to 7.
If so, should I do a 7 'upgrade'  or go for a complete new install.   As I mentioned I really like this MOBO and I know it has quite a few capabilities.   I don't like  priority computers such as Dell etc. so I'd risk staying with this MOBO if practical.
I realize this is a lot to deal with at once so with the above in mind, what would be the minimum PSU?
You guys have been sooo good and so patient with this old man it's difficult to express all the appreciation I feel.
Thank very much for your time and patients!
Marv

Ex Forum Mod

• Hawk
« Reply #13 on: 11-November-10, 03:43:06 »

To tell the truth most people buying Corsair PSU seem to end up getting the TX650 when getting it from newegg, best bang for the buck considering the +12V~52A single rail on it. When purchased at the right time it can be had as low as $70 after rebate and free shipping which is what mine cost from there. That PSU would be enough to power a quad CPU and a pair of 465 GTX video cards on a top line MB in a case with a lot of fans.

Phutznfind

• Winki
« Reply #14 on: 11-November-10, 05:06:43 »

Wow!  Thanks Henry!  :biggthumbsup: I'll check it out because before I start adding stuff I want to make sure I have enough power to do it.
Thanks again. :worship:

Wonk mentioned the JMicrom driver and it having it's own BIOS.  Do yo know anymore about that? 'Cause my IDE cables (and attached) still won't show up.?????  I sure would like to learn more about it. :typing:

Thanks again for your info! :beerchug:
Marv

Jack

• Ex Forum moderator
  • Power Edition
    • A user initiative by MSI fanatics to support all other MSI product users
« Reply #15 on: 11-November-10, 10:10:10 »

The secondary JMicron Controller controls the IDE/Port and the additional SATA Port (the one that stands alone between IDE/PATA port and the outer PCI Slot).  There BIOS Option responsible for this controller is located in the "Integrated Peripherals" section of the BIOS Setup and is called "Onboard RAID Controller".  What you need to make sure is that this option is neither set to [Disabled] not set to [RAID].  It must always be set to [IDE].

Again, drives attached to the ports controlled by the JMicron Controller (IDE/PATA Port and additional SATA Port) are never(!) listed in BIOS Setup not are they listed on the main P.O.S.T. Status Screen along with the other drives attached to the Intel ICH8R SATA Ports.  After(!) the main P.O.S.T. Status Screen (where you see processor, memory, BIOS status information etc.) there should be a second status Screen put out by the JMicron Controller BIOS which will inform you about the drives attached to it.  Of course, this will not happen if the controller is disabled.  You should also be able to see the drives attached to the JMicron Controller when you press F11 after start-up which will bring up the BIOS Boot Menu.  When the controller is enabled and functional and when there are devices attached to it, then those devices will appear in the BIOS Boot Menu. 

Phutznfind

• Winki
« Reply #16 on: 13-November-10, 00:44:14 »

The secondary JMicron Controller controls the IDE/Port and the additional SATA Port (the one that stands alone between IDE/PATA port and the outer PCI Slot).  There BIOS Option responsible for this controller is located in the "Integrated Peripherals" section of the BIOS Setup and is called "Onboard RAID Controller".  What you need to make sure is that this option is neither set to [Disabled] not set to [RAID].  It must always be set to [IDE].

Again, drives attached to the ports controlled by the JMicron Controller (IDE/PATA Port and additional SATA Port) are never(!) listed in BIOS Setup not are they listed on the main P.O.S.T. Status Screen along with the other drives attached to the Intel ICH8R SATA Ports.  After(!) the main P.O.S.T. Status Screen (where you see processor, memory, BIOS status information etc.) there should be a second status Screen put out by the JMicron Controller BIOS which will inform you about the drives attached to it.  Of course, this will not happen if the controller is disabled.  You should also be able to see the drives attached to the JMicron Controller when you press F11 after start-up which will bring up the BIOS Boot Menu.  When the controller is enabled and functional and when there are devices attached to it, then those devices will appear in the BIOS Boot Menu. 

Hello Jack,
I have had the BIOS set as you mentioned and  the drives haven't shown up (sometimes).  I have always watched to see if the drives show after the BIOS finished and after the MSI splash screen because if they came up (with colored letters) then I knew they were recognized.  I changed only one item,  from "load optimal",  and that was to disable "quick boot".   I was hoping that would help some in giving a little more time for the BIOS,  not.   So when I had to restart this morning I went to setup and just loaded all normal "load optimal", saved and exited.   The drives showed up!!!
I didn't shut it down (for 7hrs) for fear of losing it again. X-((
Previously I had downloaded and saved several JMicron zip files along with this one (JMicron_RAID_MB), after extracting etc. it made a folder by that name and also a \NoIDE_NoRaideAP folder. In that was "setup.exe".  I ran it and it said to restart.  Well even though I didn't want to,  I did.  Everything showed and they all  WORK!!! :dance:   YEA!
I'm keeping my fingers crossed in hopes it stays that way. :biggthumbsup:

Thank you,  all of you very much for all your great help and patience :hat tip: :biggthumbsup:

Phutznfind

• Winki
« Reply #17 on: 18-November-10, 03:03:58 »

Greeting Jack and All,
 It's back again,  the drives won't show.. 
Last night I fired up the computer and decided to run all the anti-virus,  anti-malwarebytes, anti-spybots and Super-anti-spyware  to make sure nothing was F o_0  the system.   ALL with last nights Updates! All they showed was that I had a few ports opened that weren't reccommended.  These were ports to places like my internet provider, Microsoft and AVG.  These should be?  ok.?
 The worst part about this is,  when the computer started it showed everything was there and working fine.   I still did all the updates and FULL scans...didn't even read my email even though the internet connection was blazing fast.

I haven't checked this but could I have a weak battery or could the power supply effect this?
 The inconsistency of it all is driving me crazy...er.!!! :bonk:
What should I be looking for.

I created a restore point and even did an MS Backup of "system state"  last night, I ran them both tonight and all I got was to be able to get on the internet.   That's why I was able to get to this site.

If I navigate to folders and/in My Docs etc,  the pages come up real fast and as far as the system goes it "appears"  to function good.
Well that's the story in-a-(great big)-nutshell!

Need any more info?
I really feel bad about bothering you about this but it's got me dumbfounded?!?!
Thanks for all your help
Marv

Wonkanoby

• Lightning
« Reply #18 on: 18-November-10, 08:57:50 »

+12V - 15A

is bugger all in this day and age

most here are using a psu with 40 plus amps on 12v rail.....though you dont need that for what you have

but i would borrow a stronger psu to try
P5Q Deluxe
Intel QX 6700
4GB OCZ
60 GB Vertex drive
ATI 5850

Phutznfind

• Winki
« Reply #19 on: 19-November-10, 04:47:54 »

+12V - 15A

is bugger all in this day and age

most here are using a psu with 40 plus amps on 12v rail.....though you dont need that for what you have

but i would borrow a stronger psu to try

Hi Wonk,

I'll have to check and find out what this PSU is givring me through the net.  I'll do that and also pick up a new battery just in case.  I'll get back after. 
It's just bugging the hell out me me why this thing can't fire up to the same settings from one night to the other??
 It's like I'm bootin' to a whole new system every night??   nothing is consistant.
I'll check out the above and see.

Thank you!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up