Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Why not utilise your system's redundant processing power for a worthy cause, and join the MSI HQ Red Rockets Folding@Home team?

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MSI Wind u135DX Wireless Connection problems  (Read 10071 times)

johnmac

• Neo
MSI Wind u135DX Wireless Connection problems
« on: 23-April-11, 09:58:02 »

Ok, Ill describe as best I can.

Bought as a 'refurb' from an outlet. Running Win 7 starter edition.Connected via ethernet cable to router to set up router. All ok. Ran microsoftupdate to get everything 'up-to-date'.All ok.Restarted. Pressed Fn and F11 to turn wireless 'on'. It sees the wireless router ok.Asks for the security key. I enter this correctly but it wont connect. Tried an Ipod touch and it connects fine with the key.

To summarise ;

router definitely ok
netbook 'sees' the router but wont connect, even with the security key entered
No specific error message, just 'cannot connect'

Any advice/help appreciated

John

Edit - also this is just 1 day old.

Edit2 - I also forgot to say. I disabled the security from the router so it was 'open' and the netbook still would not connect, but it 'sees' the network
« Last Edit: 23-April-11, 10:44:55 by johnmac »

Ex Forum User 3

• Hawk
Re: MSI Wind u135DX Wireless Connection problems
« Reply #1 on: 23-April-11, 11:09:44 »

What protocol are you using? WPA or WEP?
Have you tried without security?
Are you using the MSI wireless drivers?

johnmac

• Neo
« Reply #2 on: 23-April-11, 11:36:32 »

Hi

I have tried without security and it doesnt connect either. With security it sees the Network asks for the security key. When I enter it, it tries to connect but fails. I am definitely entering the key correctly.Without security, it just doesnt connect. I used my Ipod Touch and my phone and they are connecting ok, so issue is definitely with the netbook.

Its a 'refurb' from Argos Outlet. Everything seems ok, just this issue. It only arrived yesterday.

I have checked device manager and no issues against anything. Checked for driver updates for the drivers related to wireless and all up-to-date.
« Last Edit: 23-April-11, 11:41:52 by johnmac »

Ex Forum User 3

• Hawk
« Reply #3 on: 23-April-11, 12:21:30 »

Remove the wireless drivers in total and install them again: http://eu.msi.com/product/nb/U135DX.html#/?div=Driver&os=Win7%2032
But make sure you install the correct ones, check the bottom of the machine to see the exact driver you need.

If that fails too, then start an Ubuntu LiveCD and see if it works there, as when it fails there too the card may be damaged.

johnmac

• Neo
« Reply #4 on: 24-April-11, 10:01:32 »

Thanks

Ill give the driver suggestion a try. Only thing I have noticed that is weird is there is a 'Windows XP' sticker on the case, but its running Win 7.

Regarding the Ubuntu Suggestion, as its a netbook, do you need an external CD drive to run that?

John

Stu

• Hawk
  • Birmingham, UK
    • StuOnline.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: 24-April-11, 10:41:07 »

Regarding the Ubuntu Suggestion, as its a netbook, do you need an external CD drive to run that?

No, either a USB flash drive or a SD/MMC memory card that is big enough, and this program:

http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/
Former moderator and admin, 2004-2012
Pages: [1]   Go Up