Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This is a User-to-User community forum run by MSI users for MSI users. If you need to contact MSI directly see: How to contact MSI

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: device cannot start. (Code 10)  (Read 2444 times)

Highlanderr

• Neo
device cannot start. (Code 10)
« on: 01-July-11, 20:47:35 »

I have a standard PCI sound card that the LED on the MB lights up indcating it sees it but when windows 7 SP1 starts I get device cannot start. (Code 10) in device manger. I uninstalled the drivers, rebooted, reinstalled drivers, shut down, installed hardware and still get the same message. I tried a different PCI slot with the same results. I've gone through disabling things I felt were safe from the bios such as comm ports firewire and ide ports. Any ideas?
Thanks.

i7 960 CPU
6 gb 1300 Ram
msi x58 Pro E Motherboard
GeForce 460 Graphics
hitachi 1 tb Hard Drive
Delta 1010 sound Card

Svet

• T9246ED, Бивша комета
  • Administrator
    • MSI BIOS/EC-FW Mods
Re: device cannot start. (Code 10)
« Reply #1 on: 01-July-11, 20:56:05 »

this can be caused by using a wrong or outdated driver,
look for newest driver for your card and also ensure that it can support that OS

Highlanderr

• Neo
« Reply #2 on: 02-July-11, 05:45:55 »

Yes I have the windows 7 sp1 drivers. The device is an maudio delta 1010 card which works fine in a pc I have with xp. So either its an issue with the resources of this motherboard or some incompatability with the motherboard, the sound card and windows 7 I'm tinking. I know people who have this workin on their windows 7 pc but different systems.

Froggy Gremlin

• Power Edition
« Reply #3 on: 02-July-11, 07:15:25 »

I have a standard PCI sound card
You are being modest. That unit is far from 'standard'! :lol_anim:

Is the OS 32 or 64 bit? Latest installer & driver is 5.10.0.5076 for W7 SP1 64 Bit. There is no reason an X58 system shouldn't be able to handle what you have. If using both PCI slots, recommend using the sound card in the PCI 1 slot & making it the priority resource device if that is even possible to do.
« Last Edit: 02-July-11, 07:18:55 by Ex Forum User 2 »

Life Is Very Good Without Any Win 8/8.1, SSD's, RAID, Current AMD GPU's, G.Skill RAM, Hackers, Crackers, & Crypto Mining!

Highlanderr

• Neo
« Reply #4 on: 02-July-11, 19:36:53 »

It's 64 bit, I was hesitant due to it being an old studio card. When I said standard I was refering to the pci slot since there's so many new ones. Worst case is to go with the firewire version but that's bout $700

Highlanderr

• Neo
« Reply #5 on: 05-July-11, 04:15:46 »

One thing to note, I reverified the card didn't break from switchin systems and it works fine in an old vista system I have. I should also clarify the intial message I get on reboot after I uninstall reboot install reboot is drivers did not install corectly and then when I force it to find it I get the code 10 message. If I didn't know people that had it working in windows 7 I would have said it's the drivers but I do and their up n fine. Hmm I wonder if I swap the graphic card if it might help just thinkin out loud.

Highlanderr

• Neo
« Reply #6 on: 07-July-11, 14:56:52 »

Great news, I did more research on the standard PCI slot and decided to dig deeper into the bios. I found a setting for the PCI frequency setting. It was set to auto so I switched it to manual and selected the lower of the 2 options thinking since this card was designed a decade ago it might not register properly at the higher frequency (I think the 2 options were 37Mhz and 41Mhz, don't quote me on the numbers). On reboot much to my surprise I saw device installed sucesssfully.

Froggy Gremlin

• Power Edition
« Reply #7 on: 07-July-11, 21:22:54 »

Great news, I did more research on the standard PCI slot and decided to dig deeper into the bios. I found a setting for the PCI frequency setting. It was set to auto so I switched it to manual and selected the lower of the 2 options thinking since this card was designed a decade ago it might not register properly at the higher frequency (I think the 2 options were 37Mhz and 41Mhz, don't quote me on the numbers). On reboot much to my surprise I saw device installed sucesssfully.
:biggthumbsup: Outstanding troubleshooting work!

Life Is Very Good Without Any Win 8/8.1, SSD's, RAID, Current AMD GPU's, G.Skill RAM, Hackers, Crackers, & Crypto Mining!
Pages: [1]   Go Up