Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Forum FAQ contains answers to many frequently asked questions, please browse or search there before posting.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CX640 Boot issue!  (Read 2070 times)

Zoricus

• Neo
CX640 Boot issue!
« on: 14-July-11, 15:27:30 »

Hi all, Just found this forum  :biggthumbsup:,
        Anyway I just purchased a CX 640 notebook for my son,loaded with Windows 7 64bit. Shut it down normally and the next morning when we tried to turn it on we got this message "Reboot and select proper boot device and press any key". I tried to reboot a bunch of times and still got the same thing. I did a search online and found that it might be that the master boot record may be corrupt.  :biggthumbsdown:

I can get into the BIOS and it sees the HDD. I have also used windows 7 disk to run startup repair multiple times. From what I have read it might have to be run multiple times to fix any issues. Ive tried that 4 times so far and it hasn't resolved the issue.

Under the "repair your computer" options on the windows 7 disk i get into the command prompt and It still will not see the C: drive. I have also tried Bootrec /fixmbr, /fixboot etc and still no dice.

I'm out of options and ideas short of manually repairing manually repairing the bootloader. I.E. THE NUCLEAR OPTION! I did not want to open up the back and void the warranty.

Anyone else out there had the same issue with this line of notebook? Maybe the HDD did take a big crap I'm just not sure. Any help ideas or input is appreciated!  :confused2:
Thanks,
         Rich

Ex Forum User 3

• Hawk
Re: CX640 Boot issue!
« Reply #1 on: 14-July-11, 16:02:11 »

Can you see anything if you boot an Ubuntu LiveCD?

Zoricus

• Neo
« Reply #2 on: 14-July-11, 18:01:05 »

Thanks for the reply Bas,  I didn't do an install of ubuntu just used the CD. It can see the HDD. Not all that familiar with ubuntu either.

Ex Forum User 3

• Hawk
« Reply #3 on: 14-July-11, 18:16:25 »

Can you also see the data on it?
If so, something destroyed the boot-sector.

With Ubuntu you can reformat the MBR, and if you do, after reinstalling Windows the machine should work again.
However, it could still be a bad drive, if the bootsector is damaged physical it won't boot ever.

Zoricus

• Neo
« Reply #4 on: 14-July-11, 19:01:07 »

Oddly enough it says there is nothing on the HDD. Unallocated space 500gig. ??

Zoricus

• Neo
« Reply #5 on: 14-July-11, 19:04:58 »

Well Bas thanks for the reply's and the help, just got an email back from customer support with an RMA number. Oh well was hoping I wouldn't have to go down that route and it was something I would be able to fix myself.

Pages: [1]   Go Up