Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This is a User-to-User community forum run by MSI users for MSI users. If you need to contact MSI directly see: How to contact MSI

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MSI FX420 Ubuntu / Fedora Linux Video Driver Support  (Read 2079 times)

adchico

• Neo
MSI FX420 Ubuntu / Fedora Linux Video Driver Support
« on: 29-September-11, 17:24:02 »

This are Linux Open source Operating Systems and I have been around the web looking for support for linux drivers of FX420 
Since my laptop does not come with Windows 7 OEM OS I was hoping that msi will be able to provide support for multi platform OS
I believe there are more people out there who would love to see FX420 100% working in Linux Systems for this is a great laptop.

hope you can help me with this problem. Thanks!

MRO

• Neo
Re: MSI FX420 Ubuntu / Fedora Linux Video Driver Support
« Reply #1 on: 05-October-11, 15:01:53 »

I have the same problem...
I tried visiting manufacturer's website still no available driver (i.e. Atheros, AMD Radeon)

I hope MSI can work on providing users with drivers for linux.  I wouldn't want to spend the money I saved for buying MSI to be used to buy OS such as Windows.

Ex Forum User 3

• Hawk
Re: MSI FX420 Ubuntu / Fedora Linux Video Driver Support
« Reply #2 on: 05-October-11, 16:40:47 »

What drivers are we talking about?

Ubuntu should support Radeon without any problems by default.
Atheros is a gamble if it works or not.

MSI does not provide Linux support, in fact hardly any manufacturer does as it depends on the chip-manufacturer.
AMD Radeon has very good support in Linux as AMD gave all info on Radeon to the Linux community.

As with all hardware, you have to check the chip-manufacturer if they make/support Linux drivers, if they don't you have a problem.
Most chips work, but not all.
Pages: [1]   Go Up