Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This is a User-to-User community forum run by MSI users for MSI users. If you need to contact MSI directly see: How to contact MSI

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Intel VT-x error on vmware trying to install solaris 11 64 bit on MSI GT70 ONC  (Read 8419 times)

amol_pali

• Winki

Hi, I am trying  to install Solaris 11 64bit on my MSI GT70 ONC (Windows 7, 64 bit, RAID) laptop through vmware or virtualbox. 

I get the below error both in Virtual box and VMware Player.

Binary translation is incompatible with long mode on this platform. Disabling long mode. Without long mode support, the virtual machine will not be able to run 64-bit code. For more details see vmware.com/info?id=152.

This virtual machine is configured for 64-bit guest operating systems. However, 64-bit operation is not possible.

This host supports Intel VT-x, but Intel VT-x is disabled.

Intel VT-x might be disabled if it has been disabled in the BIOS/firmware settings or the host has not been power-cycled since changing this setting.

(1) Verify that the BIOS/firmware settings enable Intel VT-x and disable 'trusted execution.'

(2) Power-cycle the host if either of these BIOS/firmware settings have been changed.

(3) Power-cycle the host if you have not done so since installing VMware Player.

(4) Update the host's BIOS/firmware to the latest version.

I have updated the bios to the latest version on my MSI GT70 ONC ( Windows 7, 64 bit, RAID). Bios version now shows E1762IMS.30P which is correct and latest.
Now I want to install Solaris 11 which is 64 bit OS. But I still get the same error both in Virtual box and VMware Player.
Is there any changes I have to make in bios to enable virtulization and Intel VT-x  ?

I am stuck here please help. I though BIOS update will solve this issue but it didn't.I don't see any option to enable virtulization and Intel VT-x in bios. :(

Svet

• T9246ED, Бивша комета
  • Administrator
    • MSI BIOS/EC-FW Mods

what CPU you use?

amol_pali

• Winki

Hi,
I am usig the cpu which came with my laptop which is as below.
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3610QM CPU @ 2.30 GHz

Vmware and virtual box are the latest version I downloaded just before 4 days.

Svet

• T9246ED, Бивша комета
  • Administrator
    • MSI BIOS/EC-FW Mods

have you loaded bios default settings, then retest?

(1) Verify that the BIOS/firmware settings enable Intel VT-x and disable 'trusted execution.'

looks like you may need to turn off  'trusted execution.'

amol_pali

• Winki

Hi,
I have tried to reset bios settings to default and reset it. I also tried to remove battery/power supply and keep laptop for 30 min and retested but not working. I tried to recreate virtual machine after doing above and still getting same error. How to I turn off trusted execution?
For your reference I m posting error from virtual box as below.

VT-x/AMD-V hardware acceleration has been enabled, but is not operational. Your 64-bit guest will fail to detect a 64-bit CPU and will not be able to boot.

Please ensure that you have enabled VT-x/AMD-V properly in the BIOS of your host computer.

The whole point of buying this laptop was to test Solaris 11 (plus gaming) as I am Solaris admin and my old laptop wasn't supporting 64 bit.

Svet

• T9246ED, Бивша комета
  • Administrator
    • MSI BIOS/EC-FW Mods

run http://www.grc.com/securable.htm within windows and check vt-x status,
it should be already enabled

amol_pali

• Winki

I ran the utility and it gives 3 pieces of information
64 ( Max bit length)
Yes ( Hardware DEP)
Yes ( Hardware virtulization) --- Although if you click on more info it says something like it might not be enabled in long messgae and rerun this utility

How do I go about this issue? Is there older version of bios which might help? I read one person saying he updated bios to 30E and his issue was resolved.

Svet

• T9246ED, Бивша комета
  • Administrator
    • MSI BIOS/EC-FW Mods

Yes, means its Enabled

amol_pali

• Winki

So no solution to the issue I am having? I don't understand why bios of this laptop is giving so less options to configure.

Svet

• T9246ED, Бивша комета
  • Administrator
    • MSI BIOS/EC-FW Mods

in NB typically there are limited options,
i can unlock it if you open such request at proper area: [read sticky topics there before posting]
http://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?board=51.0

amol_pali

• Winki

You are a star Svet  :biggthumbsup: . I flashed the bios you provided and now I can see lot many options to configure in bios. I noticed the options 'Intel hardware virtulization'was disabled and I enabled it.
Now I am able to install Solaris 11 64bit on my laptop.
Many thanks for your help  :biggthumbsup:  :biggthumbsup:  :biggthumbsup:

Svet

• T9246ED, Бивша комета
  • Administrator
    • MSI BIOS/EC-FW Mods

well done  :hat tip:
Pages: [1]   Go Up