Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Forum FAQ contains answers to many frequently asked questions, please browse or search there before posting.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MSI GE70 Heat Issue  (Read 1142 times)

rhodes588

• Neo
MSI GE70 Heat Issue
« on: 15-July-13, 19:12:20 »

I've noticed the two laptops (one had a bluray drive failure) I've had are having the same exact heat issues. When gaming on BF3, the CPU is reaching a max of 93-94 degrees. The GPU is usually around 75-80 which isn't that bad.

I've searched around forums and it seems knocking down "Maximum processor state" to 99% in Power Options (which disables turbo boost) people are getting better temps. The problem is they are having trouble enabling turbo boost again, which is not an option for me at this time. I've also seen people re apply thermal paste, which I could do but I don't want to void the factory warranty.

So, are there any options to fix this besides what I've stated? I could really use the help. Thank you.

BTW, its the MSI G Series GE70 2OE-017US model.

Here is a screen shot:
« Last Edit: 15-July-13, 19:21:07 by rhodes588 »

Neoistheone2000

• Military Class
Re: MSI GE70 Heat Issue
« Reply #1 on: 15-July-13, 19:14:57 »

Per MSI your allowed to open the system up and upgrade things at will and it will still be covered by warranty as long as you don't damage anything on the inside, I replaced my TIM with MX-4.
My MSI Laptop is a GT70 0ND-491US
Unlocked BIOS, OCed thanks to Svet
Windows 8 Pro w/ Media Center

rhodes588

• Neo
« Reply #2 on: 15-July-13, 19:22:14 »

Is there any sort of guide to open it up and reapply the thermal paste? If I can open it up without voiding the warranty I don't want to mess anything up.

Neoistheone2000

• Military Class
« Reply #3 on: 15-July-13, 20:06:43 »

This is for the original GE70 but shouldn't be too different, you may want to go to the Assembly Guides section and request it if anyone has it.

When you remove the heat sink bar in mind that both the CPU and GPU may be on the same sink. So your gonna have to replace the Past on both of them at the same time, I recommend using a card or something and spread it out evenly, make sure that the thermal tap is put back in the proper locations and then put it back together.
My MSI Laptop is a GT70 0ND-491US
Unlocked BIOS, OCed thanks to Svet
Windows 8 Pro w/ Media Center

rhodes588

• Neo
« Reply #4 on: 15-July-13, 20:25:52 »

Well I just took everything apart and reapplied the thermal paste. Here are my temps after playing 10 minutes of battlefield 3 on medium.

Still ridiculously hot if you ask me. I used Artic Silver 5 thermal paste, also.

This is also with a cooling pad and the turbo on for the fan. I disabled turbo boost and it still gets around 77 degrees on the hottest core with the turbo on and a cooling pad.
« Last Edit: 15-July-13, 21:37:49 by rhodes588 »

rhodes588

• Neo
« Reply #5 on: 15-July-13, 23:48:07 »

Here is showing temps while playing battlefield 3 on medium settings for about 10 minutes.

Here is a stress test from AIDA64

Both these tests are at stock configuration with the turbo button on for the fan. Also, I am using a cooling pad. Temps are usually 5 degrees hotter without it. I'm really contemplating returning this laptop due to its cooling ability. I removed the new paste and reapplied it 3 times with all the same results.
« Last Edit: 15-July-13, 23:50:40 by rhodes588 »

darkhawk

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: 16-July-13, 04:49:57 »

All I can say is that it's a bit higher than I would expect as well. That's higher than my GTX680M gets when overclocked to 1 GHz core......

Something just doesn't seem right, as there is an abundance of people with similar problems.
MSI GT70 0NE
Core i7 3610
16 GB DDR3
2 x 240 GB Muskin Atlas Deluxe mSATA SSD's in SuperRaid
500 GB HDD
GTX680M with Core@980 MHz and Memory@2100 MHz
Asus Xonar U3 USB Sound Card for Optical Output and Dolby Digital upconverting
Windows 8 with Start8
Custom notebook cooler

This system runs at a cool 65C while playing the newest and most demanding games at highest settings possible.
Pages: [1]   Go Up