Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Why not utilise your system's redundant processing power for a worthy cause, and join the MSI HQ Red Rockets Folding@Home team?

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: how to use prime 95 properly: single, dual or quad-core  (Read 56053 times)

Wonkanoby

• Lightning
how to use prime 95 properly: single, dual or quad-core
« on: 24-November-03, 13:24:58 »

http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showindex.php?s=&threadid=248225

stolen in full from there

Prime95 Word of Advice
Based upon the number of PMs I have gotten in the past fews days about a rant of mine here , I thought I'd pass it along again, but not buried in someone elses thread.

If you use Prime 95, either the current release or the current beta, to establish an OC stability, you can't just download it and run Torture Test at the default settings.

There is a parameter called Priority, accessed from the Advanced tool button. By default it is set to 1 of 10. At Priority 1, it will exercise your setup, but not stress it anywhere near its capacity. Kind of like pumping weights for 10 seconds, resting 90 seconds and repeating...

You need to set the Priority to 10. At a Priority of 10, Prime 95 Torture will really "put the spurs" to your setup. With it running at that Priority, you won't be able to do much else with your PC. It consumes so much of your system resources, even trying to stop it, using the tool buttons Test / Stop takes a few seconds. MBM, which I like to run while stressing will be slow to update, even set for as fast an update as possible, but it will eventually update its readings.

"Oh, but my Priority button is grayed out!" you say. That's because you probably didn't RTFM. In order to access the features in the Advanced section, Prime95 requires you to enter a Password. It's the same Password for every version I have used.

"Oh, but I don't know the Password!". Again, that's probably because you didn't read the readme.txt file that came with Prime95, aka RTFM. It is in the readme file, but to save the incredibly lazy the time, it is 9876.

In the Advanced section, set the Password to 9876 and then set Priority to 10. Leave the rest alone for the sake of everyone "singing from the same page".

Prime95 will remember your settings, so no need to enter them every time you use it. Now you're ready to really test your systems stability. Click on the Options tool button and Torture Test.

A note for those of you using the current Beta version. When you click on Options / Torture, you will be faced with a dialog box requiring you to make one more choice. Check the box with the test that goes something like: Use Large, In-place FFTs...
I think it is the middle choice of three check-boxes. That will stress your setup the most. That choice will not be remembered the next time you run Prime95, rather it requires you to make that selection every time you run Torture test.

One last word of advice. Don't run other stressing, stability, or synthetic benchmark tests in parallel with Prime95 Torture Priority 10. You don't get extra credit for that accomplishment and you are better off leaving Prime95 alone to exact as much punishment upon your setup as possible, without interruption.

Now, go forth and see just how stable your setup really is. I apologize to those veterans who already knew this and read through this lengthy monologue in hopes of gleaning some "earth-shattering" morsel of knowledge.

Hoot

For dual-core stress testing use SP2004 Orthos Edition: http://sp2004.fre3.com/beta/beta2.htm

For quad-core stress testing use the multithreaded version of Prime95: http://mersenne.org/gimps/P95V253.ZIP
« Last Edit: 10-April-08, 12:20:04 by AaronYuri »
P5Q Deluxe
Intel QX 6700
4GB OCZ
60 GB Vertex drive
ATI 5850

gary172

• Afterburner
RE: how to use prime 95 properly
« Reply #1 on: 29-November-03, 15:24:40 »

You should make this a 'Sticky' too!!!

bilnv

(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: 29-November-03, 17:19:17 »

Sticky Sticky Sticky Sticky Sticky Sticky Sticky Sticky Sticky Sticky Sticky Sticky Sticky Sticky :stupid:

zerox_no1

(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: 05-February-04, 17:42:44 »

Well done!

zerox_no1

(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: 07-February-04, 13:01:38 »

How to run this program? :frankie:

Wonkanoby

• Lightning
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: 07-February-04, 13:13:13 »

install it

then run it

options /torture test as i recall
P5Q Deluxe
Intel QX 6700
4GB OCZ
60 GB Vertex drive
ATI 5850

zerox_no1

(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: 07-February-04, 14:01:06 »

No wonder it didn't work I had downloaded the wrong file. :D
« Last Edit: 07-February-04, 14:01:29 by zerox_no1 »

Wonkanoby

• Lightning
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: 09-February-04, 09:36:03 »

i found this whilst web browsing

http://ftp://mersenne.org/gimps/p95v238.zip

Prime95 on 1024Mb = problems

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just found out and got confirmed that the 237 version of Prime95 suffers from a memory allocation bug. This is most appearent on 1024 Mb systems, when running the 20Kb FFT tests (which is run after 3 hours or so of default torture test).
The result of the memory allocation error is an application error in WINXP (event 1000 in event log), and then an instable system.
A fixed version is not yet available from their downloadpage at http://www.mersenne.org, but can be found at http://ftp://mersenne.org/gimps/p95v238.zip
Hope this saves some of us several hours of diagnosing the application error I suffered from the past days ;-)
Cheers,

Berkeley
P5Q Deluxe
Intel QX 6700
4GB OCZ
60 GB Vertex drive
ATI 5850

si_lumb

(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: 26-February-04, 17:37:25 »

Also, I found it to crash if you try and run a priority 10 torture->blend test when you have no paging (swap) file set in windows.
I know it isn't recommended to run windows without any paging, but you might have your own reasons.
Just be aware in case you are relying on software to check your hardware is functioning.
Just read that last bit through again, and understand why you shouldn't automatically assume your hardware is bad...  ;-))

in the end it's probably your power supply mwhahahahhahaha

aceskull

(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: 02-March-04, 23:34:34 »

Had a question??

If I give more memory to primie during either day time or night time.  Is that ok, or not?

I won't be using my system while in the test phase so just wanted to know if I can set it to higher memory usage.

gleonard

(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: 24-June-04, 23:49:47 »

I have question about Prime95. I ran it under default settings (failure to read readme) but non the less after a short period of time I got a msg program halted .5  expected .4 unsure what this means. Stress.tx says hardware problem possibly. How do you know what hardware is problematic? Very 1st time I ran it it ran for only 7 or so minutes. I opened computer case and pointed my 10" house fan into it and ran again later it ran for several hours then  .5 expecting .4 msg. How do I ascertain what might be the problem?  I'm newbie at this stress testing and overclocking so ...be gentle with me...
Thanks

vronks

I'm having a problem with my computer related with prime95
« Reply #11 on: 07-July-04, 18:07:01 »

My computer has two memory generic running in dual ddr.  And when I run blend torture test, occurs an error on the first test. In the same way occurs on In-place large FFTs torture test. An error occurs on the first test of In-place large FFTs
torture test. I want to know if those errors occur because my memories weren't made to work in dual channel or the problem is my power supply. Another thing is that in all games I'm having problems principle when my computer are in net with others computers. In all games I run with my computer occur an error in the middle of the game. I've tried to format my hd, but the errors continue to make my life more painfull. So what can I do? Change my memories or my power supply? If someone knows or has an idea to help me, please awnser my questions... :-D)

p4 2.8 prescott fsb 800
2x 256mb pc3200 (dual ddr)
msi 875p neo
ati 9800 pro 128mb
hd seagate 120G serial ata
power supply generic 500w (422 true power)

veryhumid

• Twin Frozr
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: 09-July-04, 06:08:25 »

the link at the top doesn't work anymore :(

Forgiven

RE: I'm having a problem with my computer related with prime95
« Reply #13 on: 18-July-04, 11:00:45 »

Originally posted by vronks
My computer has two memory generic running in dual ddr.  And when I run blend torture test, occurs an error on the first test. In the same way occurs on In-place large FFTs torture test. An error occurs on the first test of In-place large FFTs
torture test. I want to know if those errors occur because my memories weren't made to work in dual channel or the problem is my power supply. Another thing is that in all games I'm having problems principle when my computer are in net with others computers. In all games I run with my computer occur an error in the middle of the game. I've tried to format my hd, but the errors continue to make my life more painfull. So what can I do? Change my memories or my power supply? If someone knows or has an idea to help me, please awnser my questions... :-D)

p4 2.8 prescott fsb 800
2x 256mb pc3200 (dual ddr)
msi 875p neo
ati 9800 pro 128mb
hd seagate 120G serial ata
power supply generic 500w (422 true power)

Most likely is your ram that is causing the problem... Have you try memtest86 yet? That will tell you if that is your ram's fault

Forgiven

(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: 18-July-04, 11:02:18 »

Originally posted by gleonard
I have question about Prime95. I ran it under default settings (failure to read readme) but non the less after a short period of time I got a msg program halted .5  expected .4 unsure what this means. Stress.tx says hardware problem possibly. How do you know what hardware is problematic? Very 1st time I ran it it ran for only 7 or so minutes. I opened computer case and pointed my 10" house fan into it and ran again later it ran for several hours then  .5 expecting .4 msg. How do I ascertain what might be the problem?  I'm newbie at this stress testing and overclocking so ...be gentle with me...
Thanks

That means your overclocking is not stable enough... Lower your overclocking or increase your vcore to a safe value...

Jaden

(No subject)
« Reply #15 on: 24-July-04, 01:31:01 »

hhmm.. ran torture test on 10 priority, after a minute
FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4
so should i increase vcre? increased it 2 notch from default, increase it some more? btw, 2.4aghz @ 3.3ghz (185x18.0) 46-49cpu temp

Gascogne

• Winki
(No subject)
« Reply #16 on: 03-September-04, 12:03:17 »

Originally posted by Wonkanoby

Prime95 on 1024Mb = problems

Cheers,

Berkeley

So you mean that a system that has 512Mbx2 can't run Prime95 properly?
We are the bold marines of space. We wade through gore and grue and if we do not like your face then this is what we'll do: We'll sneer and spit and call you names, tip napalm down your shirt. Your vest will be consumed by flames, and that will really hurt.

SpuD

(No subject)
« Reply #17 on: 25-October-04, 15:49:24 »

I assume it'll be ok with systems over 1024Mb, as it ran on a Duron 1600 w/ 1.5Gb of Kingston DDR400, for 3 Hours and 28 Mins, fine.
Passed the 20k tests fine too.

I'm just trying to obtain proof that the Athlon XP 3200+ I ripped outta there is at fault - it's running fine as a 2500+ in my ex-duron system, and falls over in ~25 seconds in its original box. Gottta love these crazy AMD chips...  :-))

FearTec

• Twin Frozr
(No subject)
« Reply #18 on: 26-October-04, 04:37:24 »

Hello

I have now have Windows XP stable (was crashing before).  I have a MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum, 3500+ A64 + ThermalRigth SLK 948U Heatsink, Good Airflow, Corsair 1GB Dual - TWINX 3200XL memory.  My instability problems was definately the sound Blaster Audigy 1 gamer card. I removed it and am using the onboard sound and it is amazing.

Anyway am running the memory at Corsair recommended levels CAS 2.5-3-3-11 (could be 6 but set to 11 as per anandtech's guide).  I can run memtest86+ for 10+ hours with no errors but Prime fails in 1 minute???

Any ideas on how I can fix this.  Windows is stable, Memtext is stable but prime fails??????
My Rig: A64 3500+ (H20: 2xRad, X-Block II CWX, MCP600, Tygon), K8N Neo2 Plat Bv1.5, 1Gb 3200XL 2-3-3-6 1T, 9800Pro (Xeon HS), Raptor, 19", TV/Rad, Aud1, 4xDVR.

syar2003

• HydroGen
(No subject)
« Reply #19 on: 28-October-04, 08:59:45 »

Might want to add that fsb spread spectrum should be disabled in bios .
Hardware signature
-Nothing special-

Bartbart4

(No subject)
« Reply #20 on: 25-January-05, 22:53:33 »

Addition to the Prime95 testing for P4 users with HT.

Run two copy's of Prime95 just like meansioned before while one is set to affinity 0 and the other to affinity 1.  This is the only way to fully test the HT procs to 100% duty.

The affinity option is right under the Priority option in the Advanced tab.

Hellboy

(No subject)
« Reply #21 on: 05-February-05, 23:13:43 »

Brief explanation of Prime 95:-
When you run Prime 95, the processor is given some very complex calculations to perform and Prime 95 knows what the answers should be. If your processor comes back with an incorrect answer you get that expecting so and so error.

If this happens then your comp is not stable enough. You might have to, up a notch or 2 in vcore or even add some volts for your ram. Its recomended by Prime to leave it run for 24 hrs to be really sure you have an unbreakable system.
I have had instances were I could play a game for 2 or 3 hours without any problems. I used the comp regularly without noticing anything strange for 3 or 4 days but Prime 95 would fail after a couple of hours. The more vcore I added the longer Prime 95 could run, until you get to a point were it can run without ever giving an error because its completely stable.
While trying to overclock my system, I sometimes got errors after 2 mins, or  2hrs, once 12hrs and even 14hrs of torture testing (priority 10). If you want a really stable system make sure you can run Prime for over 20 hrs :biggthumbsup:
« Last Edit: 05-February-05, 23:18:58 by Hellboy »

Toxteth O'Grady

(No subject)
« Reply #22 on: 06-February-05, 10:23:28 »

Run two copy's of Prime95 just like meansioned before while one is set to affinity 0 and the other to affinity 1.

Dumb question but...........

Howdya get it to run 2 instances?  I can see how to set the affinity but can't figure this one out.  I'll bet it's something real simple.  Tried opening the program twice but only get one instance   :smash:

8-))

TOG

Some1ne

• Platinum
    • Suncoast Computing
(No subject)
« Reply #23 on: 06-February-05, 21:29:29 »

Hm...Prime 95, priority 10, torture test, windows task manager reports only about 5 to 10% CPU utilization.  My system gets fairly unresponsive, and the memory associated with all my other running programs gets paged out, but speedfan only reports a CPU temp of about 40 degrees, which backs up what the task manager is saying, as the full load temp is 46 degrees.  The tests complete successfully, but why is my CPU utilization so low?

Also, what about using SuperPi?  It only takes about 30 mins for the largest test and it will cause 100% CPU utilization (on my PC at least), and it catches both CPU and memory related errors.
« Last Edit: 06-February-05, 21:53:47 by Some1ne »
MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum
Athlon64 3000+ (90 nm, CBBHD 0450) @ 2.46 GHz (352 FSB, 7x multiplier), vcore = 1.40V (+ 6.6% Over VID = 1.492V), 3x HTT
1 GB (2x 512) Corsair XMS PC4000 RAM @ CL2.5-3-4-6-1T, 2.85V, DCDDR528
Gigabyte geforce 6600GT video card w/ 128 MB RAM @ 540 MHz core, 1080 MHz RAM
2x 37 GB SATA 10K RPM WD Raptor HDD's in RAID-0 (nforce controller)
1x 160 GB WD 7200 RPM PATA HDD
1x 80 GB Maxtor 7200 RPM PATA HDD
NEC 4x DVD +/- R/RW drive
Benq 32X CD-R drive
Generic FDD
D-link DWL-520+ Wireless NIC
Creative X-Fi Platinum
Antec Sonata case
Vantec Stealth 520W PSU (+3.3V@26A, +5V@52A, +12V@28A)
2x 120 mm case fans

Personal | Professional

Hellboy

(No subject)
« Reply #24 on: 07-February-05, 09:14:12 »

Running Prime 95 priority 10 reports 100% cpu usage for me, and computer is almost unusable ???-)

=LKS= KA DRUMA

(No subject)
« Reply #25 on: 07-February-05, 22:37:13 »

Hellboy its beacuase you don't have Hyperthreading.

2 instances.

Go to program files and find the exe file. Create a shortcut to desktop. Click properties and add this to the end . -An should look like this.

Before   "C:\Program Files\Prime95\Prime95.exe"

After     "C:\Program Files\Prime95\Prime95.exe" -An

This will run 2 instances for P4 with HT.

That is "space-An

LKS
« Last Edit: 07-February-05, 22:37:48 by =LKS= KA DRUMA »

Hellboy

(No subject)
« Reply #26 on: 07-February-05, 22:54:41 »

I'm not sure I explained myself properly. My cpu at 100% when running Prime95 is normal and I understand that. I was just informing Some1ne that his is not normal.
But thanks anyway LKS!
« Last Edit: 07-February-05, 22:59:34 by Hellboy »

breidwand

Re: how to use prime 95 properly
« Reply #27 on: 14-April-05, 11:01:30 »

If i run prime 95 In-place large FFTs torture test, it runs about 12ours with no errors, is that enough to call my system stable?
i haven't set priority on 10.

freeAgent

• Afterburner
    • RealTechNews
« Reply #28 on: 06-June-05, 04:16:54 »

Yes, I would generally call that stable.  To make sure, run a few loops of 3DMark to test 3D stabilty because sometimes you can be stable in 2D but not in 3D and it won't show up in Prime95.

Assimilator1

• Neo
« Reply #29 on: 30-December-05, 16:49:26 »

There is a parameter called Priority, accessed from the Advanced tool button. By default it is set to 1 of 10. At Priority 1, it will exercise your setup, but not stress it anywhere near its capacity. Kind of like pumping weights for 10 seconds, resting 90 seconds and repeating...

You need to set the Priority to 10. At a Priority of 10, Prime 95 Torture will really "put the spurs" to your setup

Sorry but I think this is wrong ,with the default priority on P95 & with taskinfo open  its shows that P95 is using 97-99% of CPU time ,there's a brief (1-2s) occasional dip where MBM takes a little power(~10%).Bearing in mind that right now I've got outlook express running,MBM,tclock,ATItool,SETIQ(don't ask why,I know S@H1 is dead ;-))  ),spampal,DeeNeeS,taskinfo2000 & 3 IE's etc etc.
So the vast majority of the time the cpu is getting a full work out on idle priority ,I would say an exception to this is if you are running a 'pretty' screensaver or running a DC project.I know S@H1 would take all CPU power away from P95 & I've just checked with DPAD & it too eventually takes all cpu power away.

So unless I've missed something then (by all means point out what, if I have)  in summary you do not need to increase P95's priority to test properly ,thus you can carry on using your PC whilst stability testing :) (excluding running any DC projects,games or other CPU intensive programs)

Oh & to corroborate what I said from Prime 95's 'readme' file 

The Priority menu is used to adjust the priority prime95 runs at.
You should not need to change this.  You might raise the priority
if you (or your coworker) just cannot live without a screen
saver (bad idea), or if you are running some ill-behaved program
that is using CPU cycles for no good reason.

Oh here's an interesting exert from there too

If you have overclocked your machine, I recommend running the torture
test for a couple of days.  The longer you run the torture test
the greater the chance that you will uncover an error caused by
overheating or overstressed memory.

Wow! :shocked_anim:

Btw ,sorry for my 1st post here being negative :sad:
I've got a mates rig here with an MSI K8N Neo 4 ,so no doubt I'll be talking a little about that too here   :-))
« Last Edit: 30-December-05, 16:56:33 by Assimilator1 »
My main rig
XPM 2500 @2.51 GHz @1.66v,179MHz FSB
Asus A7N8X v1.06
2x256MB DDR333,1x512MB DDR400 Crucial
Radeon 9700 Pro
Antec TP430

My 2nd rig
XP2400 @2.1GHz @1.67v,183MHz FSB
Asus A7V880
512MB Crucial DDR400
Asus GF4 Ti 4200 265/520MHz,128MB
PCICase 400w

Mates rig
Opteron 146 @2.85 GHz @1.38v ,285MHz FSB
MSI K8N Neo 4
2x512MB Crucial DDR400
Radeon X800GTO 256MB
Antec TPII480

mrtell

« Reply #30 on: 20-January-06, 15:32:13 »

Small FFTs

FFT stands for Fast Fourier Transform and is an algorithm to compute discrete Fourier transforms for a sequence of n complex numbers (groan, more math – I’m outta here). The Small FFT test loads neatly into your L2 cache so it tests primarily your CPU. Ram will generally only be affected whenever more data has to be fetched into the L2 cache. The small FFT test is good if you’re just looking to give your CPU a good burn in or test your cooling sub-system out. This test will heat up your CPU, so watch the temps.

In-Place Large FFTs

Due to the nature of in-place FFTs, they do a lot of moving data and swapping to and from memory during the computations. So this test gives your CPU a work out along with some of your RAM. It will also heat up your CPU quickly so watch your temps closely.

Blend

Blend is my favorite since it works out everything. Blend will use small and large in-place FFTs so everything (CPU and RAM) gets a nice work out. Unless you use something like memtest to check out your memory, I recommend the Blend setting. Blend, like the other test, does indeed give your system a work out and the temps rise rapidly. Not to be repetitive, but keep an eye on your temps lest the toasty aroma of a burned CPU begins to fill your nostrils.
http://www.overclock.net/faqs/18731-prime95-primes-stability-testing.html

Mike

• aka Frankenputer
  • Power Edition
  • Virginia, USA
« Reply #31 on: 08-August-06, 07:29:03 »

An easier way to run 2 instances of Prime95 is to create a subfolder in the Prime95 folder and name it Prime95 2( I named it Prime95 II).  Copy the Prime95.exe file and place it in that folder. I created a shortcut, named Prime95 II and placed it in the Start, all Programs, Prime 95 folder. I set the affinity for the first Prime95 to 0, and the second, Prime95 II, to 1.  (and set the priority for each to 10).
#1:
MSI X38 Diamond/Bios 1.5; Core2Duo E8400 3.0Ghz; Thermalright Ultima-90HS/120 fan; 2X1GB DDR3 CorsairTWIN3X2048-1333C9DHXG; PIONEER|DVR-215DBK SATA DVD-DL & Lite-on DVD-ROM PATA; FDD; MSI 260GTX-T2D896; 196.34beta; Seagate 320GB  & WD 500GB SATA HDDs; PC P&C Silencer 750 +3.3V/24A~+5V/30A~+12V/60A; X-FI Xtreme PCIe; Antec P182 Case; XP PRO SP3

#2:
MSI 865PE Neo2-PFS Platinum/Bios 3.A; P4 2.8C HT; Thermalright XP-90HS; 2GB DDR400 RAM(2x1GB kit Mushkin HP3200 2-3-2-6); Nec ND-3550A DVD-DL & TDK 52X24X48 CD-RW; FDD; Nvidia GeForce 7800GS; 84.21; Maxtor 200GB & Seagate 200GB PATA HDDs; Enermax 465P VE-FMA +3.3V/35A~+5V/35A~+12V/33A; Audigy 2ZS; XP PRO SP3
Dell 2209WA LCD on a DVI KVM switch

MSI Wind U100

maz_b

• Afterburner
« Reply #32 on: 30-April-07, 13:35:26 »

I was just wondering. Is it possible to run two times Prime95 at the same time?

When I read the first post in this thread, it says the the computer wil be testet to the max, and will be slow to respond. But even when the priority is set to ten, and I choose the test which is recommended in the initial post, my CPU is only running at approx 59% - and I gues that doesn't really test the system for errors when OCing..?

EDIT: Ah, I figured it out  :bonk:

« Last Edit: 30-April-07, 13:42:18 by maz_b »
MSI 975X Platinum Power Up Edition - Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4 GHz @ 2.8 GHz - Sunbeam Tuniq Tower 120 CPU Fan - 4 GB GEiL DDRII PC6400 - GeForce 8800 GTS 320 MB - WD Raptor, 74 GB - Maxtor Diamondmax +9, 120 GB (USB 2.0) - Maxtor Diamondmax Plus 9, 160 GB (IDE) - Samsung SH-S183A SATA DVD Burner - Enermax 465W PSU (Single Rail!): +12V = 33A, +5V = 35A, +3,3V = 35A

PC Mark 05 = 8107 - 3D Mark 06 = 10.311

maz_b

• Afterburner
« Reply #33 on: 30-April-07, 16:01:57 »

I have an additional question.

I have been running two times torture test, one for each core (at priority 10), and one of the cores seems to be "faster" than the other (I clicked start to each program just seconds apart).

After one hour, one of the tests was 3 lines ahead. I know this is mostlikely nothing to think about at all, but I was just wondering if there's some sort of technical reason?

I know it a silly question, but it's always nice to know what's going on  :angel:
MSI 975X Platinum Power Up Edition - Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4 GHz @ 2.8 GHz - Sunbeam Tuniq Tower 120 CPU Fan - 4 GB GEiL DDRII PC6400 - GeForce 8800 GTS 320 MB - WD Raptor, 74 GB - Maxtor Diamondmax +9, 120 GB (USB 2.0) - Maxtor Diamondmax Plus 9, 160 GB (IDE) - Samsung SH-S183A SATA DVD Burner - Enermax 465W PSU (Single Rail!): +12V = 33A, +5V = 35A, +3,3V = 35A

PC Mark 05 = 8107 - 3D Mark 06 = 10.311

Zoomee

• Platinum
« Reply #34 on: 27-December-07, 17:58:25 »

I'm presuming this don't apply to the latest version of Prime?

http://mersenne.org/gimps/p95v2414.exe
2700k@4.8 | ASRock Z68 X4 G3 | 16Gb Vengeance
Asus 670GTX@1.3 | Asus STX | TX-850W
Custom Water Cooled

Svet

• T9246ED, Бивша комета
  • Administrator
    • MSI BIOS/EC-FW Mods
« Reply #35 on: 27-December-07, 18:03:39 »

Zoomee

• Platinum
« Reply #36 on: 27-December-07, 19:07:24 »

I prefer Prime V254 mate  ;-)) - it works spot on - no need to set affinity or anything else - it maxes out dual/quad setups sweetly - automatically picks all the cores and stresses them
2700k@4.8 | ASRock Z68 X4 G3 | 16Gb Vengeance
Asus 670GTX@1.3 | Asus STX | TX-850W
Custom Water Cooled

Svet

• T9246ED, Бивша комета
  • Administrator
    • MSI BIOS/EC-FW Mods
« Reply #37 on: 27-December-07, 19:09:06 »

the same do orthos too, but have more extras as well.

M3T4LM4N222

• Easy OC
Re: how to use prime 95 properly: single, dual or quad-core
« Reply #38 on: 26-June-09, 08:43:28 »

I've got a question. I am going to be running prime for about 10 hours, but I was wondering, how do I figure out the max temp it runs at under 100% load. Its using so much power, I cannot open any other program. Btw I am testing this on a single core Athlon XP that I oc'd from 800MHZ to 1250MHZ. At 800MHZ it wouldn't run Win7.

copyright

• Easy OC
« Reply #39 on: 14-December-09, 23:08:44 »

I passed 16 hours of Prime95 and then failed the new Intel burn in test V2.3 when set to maximum lol.  Gave my system one notch up on CPU voltage and she is as stable as can be.  I have to recommend using many stress testing methods to help ensure stability.  Awesome thread!
MSI P55-GD65, Intel i7 860 @ 4ghz, 4gb Corsair XMS3 C8, XFX ATI 5870 950/1300, 2x Intel X25-M 80gb RAID 0,
WD 640, WD 2tb, Sony 24x SATA DVD, Prolimatech Megahalems Rev. B, Lian Li PC-A20B, Corsair HX1000,
LG 24" Flatron W2452T, Creative Titanium Fatal1ty, ZERO DAC/H-Amp, M-Audio AV40 2.0 Speakers,
Denon AH-D2000 Headphones, APC BR1500LCD

Snake_X

• Cyclone
« Reply #40 on: 14-April-11, 00:27:48 »

I dont see the priority button on mine.

p95v26.5, build 5. 64 bit.
« Last Edit: 14-April-11, 00:43:53 by Snake_X »

creationsh

• Neo
« Reply #41 on: 18-July-11, 00:13:48 »

same here. maybe its already noted in.
If it is, does that mean that we just hit install and run it?

Froggy Gremlin

• Power Edition
  • Master Air OC'er
« Reply #42 on: 10-December-11, 22:27:53 »

I dont see the priority button on mine.

same here. maybe its already noted in. If it is, does that mean that we just hit install and run it?
Utility versions are changing all the time. Best to read the help or read me files with each new version, as the procedure & features may have significantly changed.
The Last Hoorah! I Had Retired From All This! Can't Believe I'm Really Doing A Platform Test One More Time!  :shocked:

Z97 Gaming 7, 4790k, Zalman CNPS9900Max-R, Corsair AX-850, Corsair Dominator Platinum 2800's, WD 600 SATA III V.Raptor, Lite-On iHAS 424, GTX 680's In SLI, Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty Champion, Win 7 Ultimate 64 Bit    

Life Can Be Very Fulfilling Without Win 8/8.1, SSD's, RAID, Current AMD GPU's, G.Skill RAM, Hackers, Crackers, & Crypto Mining!

IXOYE

Artega

• Neo
« Reply #43 on: 03-February-12, 17:06:47 »

I downloaded Prime95 and when the window is open it wants to know what kind of torture test to run. Small, Large and Blend are my options and there is also a section that says number of torture test threads to run. What would you suggest as far as options so that we will know if my system is stable. Also seeing how I have never done anything like this will it actually tell me if the system is stable or not or am I going to have to try to decipher if my system is stable or not?

Case: Antec 902
Mobo: MSI 770-G45(MS-75990 Bios:V10.8)
AMD Phenom II x4 955 BE (Deneb) Currently OC at 3.6
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
OCZ GameXStream 700W
+3.3@36A,+5V@30A,+12V1@18A,+12V2@18A,+12V3@18A,+12V4@18A,-12V@0.8A,+5VSB@3.0A
GPU: Currently ATI HD5770 1gig (849Mhz)
Windows7 home Premium SP1 64bit

Froggy Gremlin

• Power Edition
  • Master Air OC'er
« Reply #44 on: 21-February-12, 13:01:39 »

I downloaded Prime95 and when the window is open it wants to know what kind of torture test to run. Small, Large and Blend are my options and there is also a section that says number of torture test threads to run. What would you suggest as far as options so that we will know if my system is stable. Also seeing how I have never done anything like this will it actually tell me if the system is stable or not or am I going to have to try to decipher if my system is stable or not?
Here's some information on that. Plenty more to be found doing an internet search.

http://www.overclock.net/t/750114/prime95-stress-test-which-setting-blend-or-small-ffts
The Last Hoorah! I Had Retired From All This! Can't Believe I'm Really Doing A Platform Test One More Time!  :shocked:

Z97 Gaming 7, 4790k, Zalman CNPS9900Max-R, Corsair AX-850, Corsair Dominator Platinum 2800's, WD 600 SATA III V.Raptor, Lite-On iHAS 424, GTX 680's In SLI, Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty Champion, Win 7 Ultimate 64 Bit    

Life Can Be Very Fulfilling Without Win 8/8.1, SSD's, RAID, Current AMD GPU's, G.Skill RAM, Hackers, Crackers, & Crypto Mining!

IXOYE
Pages: [1]   Go Up