Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Forum FAQ contains answers to many frequently asked questions, please browse or search there before posting.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Core Center fan speed issue  (Read 748 times)

jooppy

Core Center fan speed issue
« on: 11-November-04, 14:24:17 »

Hi

I just installed a Thermalright XP-90 with a 92mm Nexus Real Silent case fan on my K8N Neo Platinum and AMD64 3000+.

I am using CoolnQuiet, and have set the bios to monitor the fans, with a monitor value of 50c and a 5c tollerance.

Problem is, when CoolnQuiet throttles the CPU to 1004Mhz, the temps go down to about 31c when the computer is idle.  This in turn slows the Nexus fan right down.  I watch the fan slowing down in Core Center, it goes from around 1400rpm down to around 600rpm, and then all of a sudden, its reporting 0 rpm!  I checked, the fan is still running, but it seems that Core Center has a limit of around 600rpm, then it thinks the fan has stopped.

I then load a game, and the CPU ramps up, and the temps ramp up, and hey presto - the CPU fan is showing on Core Centre again.

The annoying thing though, is that as soon as Core Center thinks the fan is at 0 rpm, the alarm goes off.  I found the setting to switch the alarm off, but Core Centre still pops itself up from the system tray, and wont stay minimised - every couple of seconds it maximises itself again.

So, two things I want to know:

1) Has anybody else exerienced this before with the Nexus fan (or any fan for that matter), and if so, how did they fix it?
2) Is this a bios problem, or a specific hardware issue with the Nexus fan?

Cheers
Jooppy

jimmytop

(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: 11-November-04, 14:31:16 »

Yeah, there's a simple fix.  Don't use Corecenter.

1) Open Corecenter from the administrator account or a user account that has admin privileges. Click on the top center logo which should open the fan speed control window. There should be two items, CoolnQuiet and User/Manual or something like. Put it in manual and move the slider all the way to the right. Ignore the CoolnQuiet, it's misnamed here - MSI's corecenter does not control CoolnQuiet. What MSI is calling CoolnQuiet is just fan speed control. Anyway, put it in manual. Close Corecenter.  Don't just minimize it, close it.  And you should never have to open it again.  If necessary, use MSConfig to remove Corecenter from Windows Start-up.

2) Next, reboot and enter the BIOS. Go to the H/W Monitor settings. Turn on Smart CPU Fan Speed. Set to 40 C +/- 1 (or whatever you want, 50 C seems kind of high - that means the fan won't ramp up till the temp gets up there but whatever you want). This will allow the motherboard to control the fan speed. On the other hand, if you want your fan always at maximum, then disable Smart Fan Speen control. Don't worry about the Smart NB Fan speed, leave it disabled.

Corecenter is NOT required to be running all the time.  It just takes up resources.  Oh, and it causes unwanted alarms.... :lol_anim:

jooppy

(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: 11-November-04, 15:44:59 »

Hi

I already have smart CPU fan enabled - it was at 40 +-5, but I found it was ramping all the time under normal load, so I have set it to 50 +-2 instead.

I have also set the fan control to manual as you suggested.  Doing this seems to have stopped CoreCentre from popping up with an alarm.  I will need to do a reboot etc to see if the settings stick.

I kinda like CoreCenter though, its a nice and simple way of knowing what your temps/fans are doing, and its also nice and easy way to tell if CoolnQuiet is working as it should.

I do however agree that it can be taken out of the startup menu...

Cheers
Jooppy

DavidJL

(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: 11-November-04, 18:25:27 »

If you just wanna know Speeds and temps and stuff, there are better programs out there than core center.  I personally use MBM5, but speedfan is another really good one.

jooppy

(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: 12-November-04, 12:59:00 »

Hi

Tried both speedfan and mbm5, and both have exactly the same problem - the fan rpm's are 0 when the fan runs below 600rpm.

I rebooted my PC and went into the bios.  I think I have found the problem.  Looking at the hardware monitor section, I noticed that the bios is also reporting 0rpm for the fan when it is running slowly.

So, this is not a CoreCenter problem, its probably a limitation of the the motherboard.

I have had a similar problem with my old XP1600+ system with a Soltek motherboard.  My Zalman 7000aCu on low setting would spin at 1400rpm, and the Soltek motherboard did not report fan rpm's unless they were over 2000rpm.  I guess the motherboard manufacturers at the time did not think that any CPU fan would ever run that slowly...

I will email MSI support and see if this value is a hard limit set by the hardware, or if this can be tweaked in the bios.  If it is a bios setting, then maybe they can get it fixed for the 1.5 bios release...

Cheers
Jooppy

oake

Re: Core Center fan speed issue
« Reply #5 on: 11-October-05, 12:53:23 »

Hello!
I have the same problem as you Jonny. It would be nice if you wrote your solution on the problem here.

Eyrdan

Re: Core Center fan speed issue
« Reply #6 on: 11-October-05, 17:00:23 »

Sounds simply like when the fan is running too slow, the sensor signal is too low for the motherboard to recognize it, which is why it's shown as 0 RPM.
Pages: [1]   Go Up