Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New members, please remember to read the Forum Rules and the Posting Guide before posting for the first time!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MSI Vox Box USB 2.0 TV Tuner FAQ  (Read 19813 times)

Stu

• Hawk
  • Birmingham, UK
    • StuOnline.co.uk
MSI Vox Box USB 2.0 TV Tuner FAQ
« on: 19-February-05, 01:45:43 »

Hands up, I admit I've never used one of these devices before, but I'm looking to get hold of one, so I can have a play around with it.

So far, I'm guessing that the main guts of this thing are similar to (if not the same as) the TV@nywhere Master, so the steps described elsewhere for installing drivers and MSIPVS should be the same (apart from using Vox drivers from MSI website).

Any Vox users who have any good tips and tricks to share, please post below and I will incorporate them into my FAQ

Please start a new thread if you need help, inappropiate posts will be moved or deleted.

Some points to be aware of:

"I have installed the MSI Vox Box, but the picture is unstable and looks "flakey"
The Vox requires a USB 2.0 port to run. Also, it does clearly state in the manual that if your PC / laptop cannot provide enough power for the Vox directly through the USB port, then you will need to use the external power supply. Where you may obtain this even I am unsure of.

ffulkerth makes a suggestion in this post about a universal power supply: http://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=74361.msg523855#msg523855

wonkanoby has also suggested to use a self-powered external USB hub, but make sure you use a USB 2.0 type

also read what lance8 has to say about using the Vox with its power supply: http://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=74829.0

"How do I get sound? My laptop has no Line-In audio jack."
Plugging the audio out of the Vox into the Mic socket works as long as you have the mic playback off mute and the volume on the mic set VERY low (about 5% if that). Thanks to dragon2611 for that one!

"Does the Vox work with Windows XP Media Center Edition? (MCE2005)"
Neither the Vox or the TV@nywhere cards are compatible with MCE2005. MCE2005 requires an analogue TV card capable of hardware MPEG2 encoding, or a software DVB-T (digital) card that already receives an MPEG2 video stream over-the-air.
You can however still use the Vox or the TV@nywhere using the MSIPVS software outside of the MCE2005 application.

"I get error messages when I try to install the Vox USB on Windows XP SP2"
Download and install the latest drivers available from the MSI Product Support page.

More to come, as and when....

[Last updated 26/5/2005 by Doctor Stu]
Former moderator and admin, 2004-2012

ZredIreci

Re: MSI Vox Box USB 2.0 TV Tuner FAQ
« Reply #1 on: 11-March-05, 06:43:59 »

Hey. 
When you get ur hands on the little tiny tv tuner, you'll be amazed, as well as  :wall: .
It's got it's  :biggthumbsup:  and  :biggthumbsdown:  as you're aware. 
With windows XP SP1, and the new drivers, the CPU usage when watching tv and using the DVR are half of what they used to be, sitting at about 20% and 40%, for tuner viewing and DVR, resepectively.  So make sure you use the new drivers as opposed to the ones supplied.

And yes, the noise problem is unbearable, HUMMMMMMMMMMM, it'll drive u  X-(( .  But don't  ;-(( , cuz there are solutions, and once these are implemented you will be more than  ;-))  with the product. 
The HUMMING comes from noisy power, the noisy power does not come from the computer/Laptop, instead, the clean power being supplied picks up interference from the 2 data lines transfering data between the computer and VOX.  Using a seperate power supply eliminates this problem.  As another solution, you can use a small USB extension, the shorter it is the less interference is inhereted.  Plugging directly into the USB connector also reduces the HUM to a virtually inaudible background noise.
I've made a short USB extension to be used with my Tuner, it allows you to maintain portability, and reduces the HUM to a point where nobody would notice it unless they knew it was there and listened for it.  In my opinion, the HUM is now less than the noise broadcasted by some networks. (PBS! :bonk: )

Well, those are my thoughts, hope they help.

I am also considering trying to tap the 5V supply from another USB port and plugging it into the external power supply port on the VOX, this would be like using an AC adaptor, but without the bulky transformer.  The VOX uses up 490-500mA while operating, so it might be a good idea to tap 2 other USB ports to run it.  I'll give it a shot some day.  But that'll be some  :shocking:  fun.

Let us know how it goes with yours.

Good luck.

Cheers.

sosodo

« Reply #2 on: 05-May-05, 19:11:43 »

Hi!Be gentle, I'm new on this kind of stuff. I need some advice about my tv tuner. who knows why I cannot use the teletext features from my vox tv tuner.

Stu

• Hawk
  • Birmingham, UK
    • StuOnline.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: 05-May-05, 19:48:46 »

Please start a new thread if you need help, inappropiate posts will be moved or deleted.

donne

« Reply #4 on: 14-July-05, 02:55:58 »

Can someone please help me.......just purchased the MSI Vox TV box but when I try to install the software, it asks me for serial number (I presume of the vox box), however, it keeps telling me serial number is incorrect........I put it in as follows
B0506040463
Am I doing something wrong???

poolcue pete

« Reply #5 on: 14-July-05, 09:28:42 »

Morning,

The serial number is printed on the software CD supplied with the MSI VOX.

donne

« Reply #6 on: 29-July-05, 21:47:46 »

Help!!!  My unit works fine connecting to cable, but when I connect to composite I get a black screen and nothing records.  I am trying to record from my vcr, and have changed the settings to composite.  Is there anything else I need to do

Stu

• Hawk
  • Birmingham, UK
    • StuOnline.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: 29-July-05, 22:40:46 »

:bonk: is there something i'm not quite making clear here?

devanand

« Reply #8 on: 01-February-06, 22:56:46 »

Hands up, I admit I've never used one of these devices before, but I'm looking to get hold of one, so I can have a play around with it.

So far, I'm guessing that the main guts of this thing are similar to (if not the same as) the TV@nywhere Master, so the steps described elsewhere for installing drivers and MSIPVS should be the same (apart from using Vox drivers from MSI website).

Any Vox users who have any good tips and tricks to share, please post below and I will incorporate them into my FAQ

Some points to be aware of:

"I have installed the MSI Vox Box, but the picture is unstable and looks "flakey"
The Vox requires a USB 2.0 port to run. Also, it does clearly state in the manual that if your PC / laptop cannot provide enough power for the Vox directly through the USB port, then you will need to use the external power supply. Where you may obtain this even I am unsure of.

ffulkerth makes a suggestion in this post about a universal power supply: http://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=74361.msg523855#msg523855

wonkanoby has also suggested to use a self-powered external USB hub, but make sure you use a USB 2.0 type

also read what lance8 has to say about using the Vox with its power supply: http://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=74829.0

"How do I get sound? My laptop has no Line-In audio jack."
Plugging the audio out of the Vox into the Mic socket works as long as you have the mic playback off mute and the volume on the mic set VERY low (about 5% if that). Thanks to dragon2611 for that one!

"Does the Vox work with Windows XP Media Center Edition? (MCE2005)"
Neither the Vox or the TV@nywhere cards are compatible with MCE2005. MCE2005 requires an analogue TV card capable of hardware MPEG2 encoding, or a software DVB-T (digital) card that already receives an MPEG2 video stream over-the-air.
You can however still use the Vox or the TV@nywhere using the MSIPVS software outside of the MCE2005 application.

"I get error messages when I try to install the Vox USB on Windows XP SP2"
Download and install the latest drivers available from the MSI Product Support page.

More to come, as and when....

[Last updated 26/5/2005 by Doctor Stu]

Well I had been struggling with the VOX USB 8609 for last 2 months but now it is really working fine. Like Dr. Stu said all you need is patience. I used system restore for my laptop (P4) and then loaded the latest  programmes but it would not work. Finally I downloaded the drivers from the official website. unsipped all the drivers then disenabled norton antivirus and installed the drivers....the key was after each driver installation i rebooted the pc. and then connected the USB TV tuner and Audio line out to microphone in on the laptop. then followed all the onscreen prompts.After setup I selected the country settings to Russia (shich is where i am now), clicked freescan , then Autoscan and I got the Video but no Audio. so i changed  the country settings to Germany and ...freescan... Autoscan and bingo i got everything Audio and Video and very clear too fonally i saved the settings in WIN DVR3 .Recording also OK no probs... Hope this helps somebody
Devanand

sosodo63

« Reply #9 on: 17-March-06, 19:31:06 »

Hi there!  ;-))
It's really nice and usefull this gadget. But I have only one small problem. I'm a sailor and thru my voyage I reach a lot of places. This toy works all over but not in  France :wall:. Even when I select Secam L system X-((. I bought my device from Southampton-UK last summer.  : :idea:For solving the flickering problem you can use an 5V power adaptor connected directly to Tuner or, like I do, to use an USB HUB with external power adaptor. I use one 4 USB PORT HUB with an external 5V power adaptor. It works :biggthumbsup:.

dd123pp

« Reply #10 on: 06-May-06, 18:04:06 »

noone should buy this product if they have media center 2005 edition, i brought it has it was saying it is compatible with windows media center when i go on to the windows media center programme it does not work when you go into setup and tv it says there is not tuner, THIS PRODUCT SUCKS

I HAVE WASTED £45 INVESTING IN THIS, EBUYER UK ONLY LETS YOU TAKE IT BACK IF IT IS FAULTY OR YOU HAVE TO FORK OUT ON THE DEVIARY, I WILL NEVER BUY A MSI PRODUCT AGAIN, IT IS MISLEADING, IT SOULD SAY THAT IT IS NOT COMPATIBLE THROUGHT THE WINDOWS MEDIA CENTER PROGRAMME, THIS IS WHAT I BROUGHT IT FOR, I LIKE THIS PROGRAMME

CHEERS FOR WASTING MY MONEY MSI

Stu

• Hawk
  • Birmingham, UK
    • StuOnline.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: 06-May-06, 19:11:59 »

:nono: MSI make no mention that Vox should work with WinXP MCE

http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/multimedia/mut/pro_mut_detail.php?UID=536

you should take this up with Ebuyer as they evidently have the wrong info on the product

EDIT: i just looked on Ebuyers website, and they don't even carry the Vox, only the DigiVOX, which is a different product to what this topic is referring to, and definitely works with Media Center because I have one myself and it is a brilliant little product

now, if you want help with your DigiVOX, you'd better start again, in a new topic, and explain fully your problem. shouting and ranting about MSI is not tolerated here

adamantan

« Reply #12 on: 01-May-07, 23:24:37 »

Hello,

I have just bought a VOX II and I have similiar problem. I downloaded teh newest version of drivers and I cannot stabilize the picture or I see just green screen. I can hear music but nothing more. I read your posts and I sent a e-mail to my distributor and they said and I do not need any external power supply and it should work whithout its. I have dell 9400, intel duo 2 1.8, 1Gb ram , ati 1400x 256 ram. I will be gretful for any help. thanks

Stu

• Hawk
  • Birmingham, UK
    • StuOnline.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: 03-May-07, 21:04:42 »

adamantan,

VOX II is different product. read the Moan Guide and then start your own new topic, posting as much detail as you can about your problem
Pages: [1]   Go Up