Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New members, please remember to read the Forum Rules and the Posting Guide before posting for the first time!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: how to disable on board graphic card  (Read 1318 times)

zhaoyi

how to disable on board graphic card
« on: 01-April-05, 03:45:48 »

javascript:void(0);
noidea

I just brought an ATI 9250 graphic card but failed to install on my ms6322 mainboard. the problem may causedby the old on board graphic card. i check the bios setting, it only  can disable on board sound card but no where to disable the on board graphic card. i also check the jumper on the main board, but i dont know which one suppose to be, any body here can help me? i send help messege to the msi technical support, but they never reply.

the following the the messege from ATI technical support.

javascript:void(0);
think:rolleyes_anim:

Installing an Add-on Graphics board to replace the onboard graphics controller

When installing an add-on graphics board to replace the onboard graphics controller, COMPLETELY DISABLING the onboard graphics generally offers the best chance of success. This should be accomplished by selecting an option to "Disable onboard VGA" (or similar) in CMOS setup. Alternately, setting "Shared video memory" to the lowest value should also help to disable the onboard.

If such an option is not available, then we recommend proceeding as follows (in order of preference):

* check your motherboard documentation for steps to disable onboard graphics
    * check for a motherboard BIOS upgrade, which allows onboard graphics to be disabled
    * please contact your motherboard manufacturer for assistance disabling the onboard graphics

Contact information for a number of system manufacturers is available on the ATI website.

If the onboard graphics CANNOT be disabled, then it is unlikely the system will work with some add-on graphics cards. Your motherboard manufacturer may be able to suggest a make and model of graphics card, which has been certified for use in these systems.

Installing an Add-on Graphics board to create a multiple display configuration

When attempting to use an add-on graphics board in CONJUNCTION with onboard graphics to create a multiple display configuration, the following should be considered:

1. Multiple monitors require the correct drivers for your version of Windows. For example, Windows 95 drivers do not support multiple monitors at all; this feature was only supported in Windows 98 and later.
       2. AGP is currently a ONE-ADAPTER-STANDARD. When installing an AGP graphics card into the AGP slot of a system with an onboard AGP controller, one of the graphics controllers MUST be disabled, or else hardware conflicts will occur. A multiple-monitor setup is not currently possible using TWO AGP controllers. **
       3. In some systems, the onboard controller WILL be detected by Windows, BUT the secondary display does NOT appear in Display Properties, OR it DOES appear in Display Properties but cannot be enabled. Your system manufacturer may have employed SPECIAL DRIVERS for the onboard display which may not work properly in a multiple display configuration. Please contact the manufacturer if you need to verify whether this is the case.
       4. If you ARE able to use the onboard graphics as a part of a multiple monitor setup, the onboard will always DEFAULT to being a SECONDARY display.
       5. Some systems are designed to completely disable the onboard graphics when another graphics adapter is placed in the system. If Windows does NOT detect the onboard after adding a PCI card (i.e. it does NOT appear in Device Manager), it is unlikely that a multiple-monitor setup including the onboard controller is possible.
       6. If the system works with a SINGLE graphics card, with onboard disabled, then a multiple monitor configuration may still be possible by ADDING ADDITIONAL PCI CARDS to the system, as long as additional PCI slots are available. It may also be possible using a DUAL DISPLAY graphics card (a single graphics card which supports two monitors)

** With a motherboard built with the Radeon 9100 IGP or Radeon 9100 IGP PRO chipset, when an ATI AGP Dual Monitor graphics card is installed into the system the onboard graphics controller is not disabled but instead identifies itself as a PCI graphics controller allowing for up to three independent monitors, this is known as SurroundView. If no AGP card is installed the onboard video controller acts as an AGP graphics controller.

Grayone

• MSIHQ Red Rockets Team Member
  • Xpower
Re: how to disable on board graphic card
« Reply #1 on: 01-April-05, 03:51:27 »

Is this a AGP or PCI video card?  Also please provide more information about your system.  CPU-Memory-PSU-other devices.
Thank you.
DKA790GX Platinum w/Phenom II 960T unlocked to 6 cores
4 gig GSkill DDR2 800 @5-5-5-15-2T
N460GTX & N450GTS
Corsair 650TX  12v-52 amps
Windows XP-SP3

G31-M7 w/Q9400 @3.28GHz @1.312v
2Gb DDR2 800 @5-6-6-15-2T
GTX460 Hawk video card
Seasonic 520 Watt S-12 12v-40amps
Windows XP-SP3 - Folding 24/7

Wonkanoby

• Lightning
« Reply #2 on: 01-April-05, 05:33:03 »

every msi onboard vga ive dealt with is disabled by the simple act of installing a vga card in the slot

though it helps to remove its drivers first,the onboard that is ,then do it as well
P5Q Deluxe
Intel QX 6700
4GB OCZ
60 GB Vertex drive
ATI 5850

circusflea

• Cyclone
« Reply #3 on: 08-April-05, 02:07:42 »

go back again in the bios settings and look if there's a primary graphics settings, choose AGP, so your system will use AGP at booting.
Pages: [1]   Go Up