Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This is a User-to-User community forum run by MSI users for MSI users. If you need to contact MSI directly see: How to contact MSI

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problems with a new MSI K7N2 Delta L not installing windows  (Read 2053 times)

gdawg304

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've recently had a problem with memory errors caused by my old Leadtek nforce2 motherboard, constant freezing, crashes, etc.

I have just installed a new MSI K7N2 Delta L motherboard, ran windows memory diagnostic - no errors! Great, or so i thought.....

I reinstalled windows, it froze first time so i did a repair, installed it... but there were still instability problems as i tried installing hardware once more...I tried reformat/reinstall once more...now it won't even install windows on my system. HAve tried with 2x 256MB Nanya DIMMS and 1x 512 Crucial, then 2 x 256MB Nanya in dual mode, then 512MB Crucial DIMM on its own. All DIMMS are 333 PC2700. Still no joy!

Memory diagnostics, fine - errors present with the Leadtek are not present with the MSI board, Hard Disk diagnostics (official Western Digital one), fine.

I have currently given up after about 20 failed attempts to install Windows XP, i have played with the BIOS, reduced FSB to 133MHz, moved the DIMMs around between slots, removed all non essential expansion cards, checked the jumpers, etc etc

The only change to my system is the mobo, now i have a heap of mostly fully functional components that i'm seriously considering dropping in the bin because something's not working and i can't work out what! My supposedly knackered Leadtek, with its random crashes, at least had more functionality than this! Has my new motherboard come to me D.O.A.??

Athlon XP 2700+, 256MB Galaxy 6800GT, WDC 120GB HD, one floppy, one DVD drive connected. Tagan 480W PSU, Thermaltake SilentBoost HSF on CPU, Nexus 80mm case fan.....have removed Audigy 2 and TV tuner cards...

HELP!!!

Sharp

• MSIHQ Red Rockets Team Member
  • Xpower

Hello,

Good power supply  :-))

Maybe a dodgy 6800GT? (It can cause windows to freeze/BSOD)
Did you plug a power connector into it?

The memory test program, was it this one?
www.memtest.org
http://www.memtest.org/download/1.55.1/memtest86+-1.55.1.floppy.zip
How long did you run this for? 8 hours is the best way to test the memory 100%.
MSI 760GM-P33 BIOS v1.3
AMD Athlon II 240 X2 2.8Ghz Socket AM3
Crucial BallistiX Tactical 2x4GB PC3-12800 8-8-8-24
Samsung Spinpoint F3 500GB SATA IDE mode
Nvidia GTS 250 512MB 800Mhz : 1850Mhz : 1200Mhz (Core : Shader : Memory)
Coolermaster GX450W PSU

Stu

• Hawk
  • Birmingham, UK
    • StuOnline.co.uk

hmm, you were experiencing problems with these components on your old Leadtek board, now you are having problems with your new K7N2 Delta - that suggests to me that maybe it isn't the mobo at fault then

:think:

i don't know what this windows memory diagnostic is you mentioned, but i bet it is not as comprehensive as Memtest86. maybe you have one stick that is faulty (Crucial?), and the others just incompatible (Nanya?)

the other possibility is that your CPU could be at fault. the only way you will really be able to tell is to try some *known* working parts out of a good system....

at least we haven't had to ask about your PSU specs - i can't see your Tagan being the problem here...

EDIT: Sharp, you just beat me with the Memtest link... :biggthumbsup:
Former moderator and admin, 2004-2012

gdawg304

it was the Microsoift 'official' memory diagnostic, which threw up errors memtest missed; it showed Stride6 errors for all my DIMMs, irrespective of which slot they were in, tested individually. the DIMMS work fine with no errors reported in another PC i tried them in. I also tried the system with my old ATI Radeon 9800, and yes the 6800GT is plugged in properly. The memory test run with the new MSI board shows no memory errors at all.

Unfortunately I don't have a spare CPU to hand to test this out.

However my problems have escalated since installing the MSI board....

having read consumer reviews on ebuyer, i see some people have had trouble with this board - not working with memory speed higher than 266MHz, memory sticks not working in some slots, etc etc

Could my new board be duff?

Fredrik

• Hawk
  • There's always a risk.

What is your temperature? Any recent updates or installs?
Try with only one, the bigger stick.

gdawg304

Temp is under 40 (probably if i tried now it would be lower than that after being off so long) although new arctic silver settling in after installing CPU and HSF.

Have been trying just with the crucial 512MB stick

will not install windows, freezes every time, not always the same place but always freezes...
have tried complete and quick reformats of the HD.

Fredrik

• Hawk
  • There's always a risk.

How is the DVD and the hard disk configured and placed? Have both as single Master (at the end of the cables) and the hard disk on IDE channel 1. Make sure they are correctly recognized by BIOS.
The FSB should be at 166, and if that is a problem you must reseat it.

gdawg304

Do I need to use the 4 pin power connector? I have had it plugged in.

gdawg304

DVD is on IDE 2, HDD is on IDE 1, both master. FSB is set to 166

Have just found this other post from a couple of years back

http://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=26253.0

not sure if the link will work hehe so:

"I've been having some problems lately. I put together a new computer for a friend using an MSI K7N2 Delta-L motherboard and an Athlon XP 2700+. Everything seemed to be working ok when I gave it to him, but a day later he brought it back broken. It was freezing on the windows startup screen with the scrolling blue bar. The screen would go really dim, regardless of brightness or contrast, and freeze there. Also, during a reinstallation of windows it freezes so I can't reinstall or format. I've tried new hard drives and video cards, and also moving the RAM into different slots. I think it may be a problem with the BIOS, but as I can't get into windows, it makes it difficult to update it. Does anyone have any ideas?"

gdawg304

(sorry - i included that old post which someone made because the symptoms are pretty much the same as mine.....)

Fredrik

• Hawk
  • There's always a risk.
Re: Problems with a new MSI K7N2 Delta L not installing windows
« Reply #10 on: 25-May-05, 01:32:40 »

Clear CMOS, with power unplugged.
Afterwards do not more than set correct time and date in BIOS, and see to it the system boots from the DVD.
Insert the XP installation CD
Save&Exit.
Do not have more than one stick of memory, or anything else non-essential.
Do a repair install of Windows.
Install the mobo drivers before you install the drivers for the graphics card.

Changing mobo makes a lot of info and drivers obsolete.

Edit. That is nothing to be one bit sad about. :smile:  Don't worry!
And though I hardly can sit upright, I'm so tired, people will come around and fix this for you.

osnavi

• HydroGen
« Reply #11 on: 25-May-05, 01:41:42 »

"...DVD is on IDE 2, HDD is on IDE 1, both master..."  This could be the problem: WD HDD, when no other HDD in IDE cable, should not be jumpered as Master but as stand alone.
MSI KT3 Ultra 2 ARU
Athlon XP 2800+Thermaltake Heatsink fan
2x 512 Mb DDR PC 2700 Spect 
MSI FX 5900XT 128 Mb
SBlaster Audigy Platinum
HDD 0 Maxtor80Gb HDD1 Maxtor120Gb both Ata 133-7200 RPM
USB 2.0 HDD 80 Gb.
MSI CDR 52x
Aopen CDRW 48x12x50x
Pinnacle DV500 VidEditor
Thermaltake 420W 3.3v.-30A 5v.-40 A 12v-18A
USB 1.1 Memory Stick Card Reader
Floppy Drive 
PS2 & USBMouse
WXP SP1

Glenn

• HydroGen
  • Former Moderator
« Reply #12 on: 25-May-05, 02:36:37 »

:yes: yep cable select or no jumper at all, preferable the latter 8-))
msi P55-GD65
i7-860 Lynnfield
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (4x2) DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
Zalman CNPS9900A LED CPU Cooler
Diamond Radeon HD 3870 512MB GDDR4 Ruby Edition
Acer X203w 20" LCD
Samsung LN-T3253H 32" LCD HDTV
Kingston 128GB SSDNow V-Series
WDC Blue WD5000AAKS-22A7B2 500GB
Sony DRU710A DVDRW
Logitech Z-5500's
Creative Audigy2 ZS
Antec 300 Case
PCP&C Silencer 500 EPS12V PSU
Windows 7 (64bit)

gdawg304

« Reply #13 on: 25-May-05, 02:45:22 »

"...DVD is on IDE 2, HDD is on IDE 1, both master..." This could be the problem: WD HDD, when no other HDD in IDE cable, should not be jumpered as Master but as stand alone.

Maybe....but however the HDD is set up, it's worked fine for the last 2 years...... :)

Having given up and reinserted the duff Leadtek board to see if that would allow windows to reinstall (it has installed, and i know i have to go through all this again when i attempt to sort the MSI problem again...), i will have to wait till thurs (working tomorrow) to try various suggestions....

er....i did notice though that the graphics card wasn't locked in (with the little lever) on the MSI board. Would this cause a problem?

The previous post i included suggests i'm not the only one to have this problem with this board....

gdawg304

« Reply #14 on: 25-May-05, 03:51:23 »

Currently using my PC with windows reinstalled on the 'dodgy' Leadtek motherboard...which runs windows albeit unstably with memory errors (yes yes i know i shouldn't, could corrupt data on HDD etc etc)...so it seems the only variable has been the MSI board. Could it be that I've got a duff new board? Seems the most likely option....

osnavi

• HydroGen
« Reply #15 on: 25-May-05, 16:22:29 »

"...and yes the 6800GT is plugged in properly..."
"...i did notice though that the graphics card wasn't locked in (with the little lever) on the MSI board. Would this cause a problem?..."
As you can see by your own words, having something for certain without cheking and double cheking, doesn't help in troubleshooting.
Yes, a bad seated card can give many problems.- Also, you should be aware that K7N2 Mobos are picky about memories. Many mem. working good in other Mobos, doesn't work in this one. So, memory tests in others, shows nothing for this Mobo. How long have you run memory tests in K7N2 mobo ? It's said it should run for 8 hours or overnight to be sure...
MSI KT3 Ultra 2 ARU
Athlon XP 2800+Thermaltake Heatsink fan
2x 512 Mb DDR PC 2700 Spect 
MSI FX 5900XT 128 Mb
SBlaster Audigy Platinum
HDD 0 Maxtor80Gb HDD1 Maxtor120Gb both Ata 133-7200 RPM
USB 2.0 HDD 80 Gb.
MSI CDR 52x
Aopen CDRW 48x12x50x
Pinnacle DV500 VidEditor
Thermaltake 420W 3.3v.-30A 5v.-40 A 12v-18A
USB 1.1 Memory Stick Card Reader
Floppy Drive 
PS2 & USBMouse
WXP SP1

mechwookie

• Platinum
« Reply #16 on: 25-May-05, 17:09:16 »

Gdawg

Judging by the price they have this stuff is on sale at, I'd suggest you try getting something a lil better for the ram, as this stuff screams *cheap* and as has been stated, K7N2 Delta's are REAL picky about their memory. Is your Crucial ram a budget/value version too?

I'm willing to bet that if you put in some better ram (Geil, Corsair, OCZ, whatever) you will have better results with the mobo.

Nanya Ram AT MicroDirect.co.uk
Jeantech Aqua Butterfly case (2 x 120mm & 1 x 80mm)
P35 Neo2 FR rev 1.2 bios v1.6
Q6600 G0 @ 3.00ghz (333x9 stock volts)
Arctic Coolong Freezer 7 Pro (arctic silver 5)
Geild Black Dragaon PC8500 @ 800mhz (auto spd)
MSI 8800GTS 320mb (stock)
ThermalTake Toughpower 600w
2x200gb Samsung Spinpoint's RAID 0
2x500gb Samsung Spinpoint F1's RAID0 (file storage)
Lite-On DVDrw (SATA)

Sharp

• MSIHQ Red Rockets Team Member
  • Xpower
« Reply #17 on: 25-May-05, 17:18:05 »

Hello,

In the BIOS set the FSB:DRAM ratio to 1:1.
(frequency/voltage control or advanced chipset features >DRAM settings.)

More memory voltage, 2.7v

So this happens with the 9800pro installed to?
MSI 760GM-P33 BIOS v1.3
AMD Athlon II 240 X2 2.8Ghz Socket AM3
Crucial BallistiX Tactical 2x4GB PC3-12800 8-8-8-24
Samsung Spinpoint F3 500GB SATA IDE mode
Nvidia GTS 250 512MB 800Mhz : 1850Mhz : 1200Mhz (Core : Shader : Memory)
Coolermaster GX450W PSU

Stu

• Hawk
  • Birmingham, UK
    • StuOnline.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: 25-May-05, 20:03:01 »

Good memory choices for all nforce2 boards

mechwookie, me personally would keep Nanya far away fron nforce2 boards.... :fear:

mechwookie

• Platinum
« Reply #19 on: 25-May-05, 23:39:05 »

Me too Stu

The 2 sticks of 256 of Kingston Value i had in my Kt3 Ultra2c was fine, but when i changed to my Delta, i just had to get that lovely looking gold pcb'd Geil Golden Dragon Ultra 400 ram :agrees: , in a nice dual channel kit (was only 2x256mb, but that cost me almost £100).
Just a bitch cause they stopped making the full flavour GDultra stuff, its only available (in the uk, from what i've found) as the value version, which has different timings. 2.5-4-4-8 IIRC, as opposed to 2-3-3-6 for my current lot. And i want a 2x512mb dc kit to replace it with  ;-((  ;-((  ;-((

Spose i could always go over to their platinum stuff, but that don't look so sweet. :bonk:
Jeantech Aqua Butterfly case (2 x 120mm & 1 x 80mm)
P35 Neo2 FR rev 1.2 bios v1.6
Q6600 G0 @ 3.00ghz (333x9 stock volts)
Arctic Coolong Freezer 7 Pro (arctic silver 5)
Geild Black Dragaon PC8500 @ 800mhz (auto spd)
MSI 8800GTS 320mb (stock)
ThermalTake Toughpower 600w
2x200gb Samsung Spinpoint's RAID 0
2x500gb Samsung Spinpoint F1's RAID0 (file storage)
Lite-On DVDrw (SATA)

Stu

• Hawk
  • Birmingham, UK
    • StuOnline.co.uk
« Reply #20 on: 26-May-05, 01:47:44 »

that geil golden dragon stuff, i bought some (DDR550/PC4400) when i had my gigabyte GA-K8N mobo and was trying to squeeze more performance out of it; didn't work in my new K8N Neo Platinum, nor my Aopen XC EZ18 SFF nforce2 system either

have to say that bog-standard crucial stuff is working great!! ;-))
Pages: [1]   Go Up