Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New members, please remember to read the Forum Rules and the Posting Guide before posting for the first time!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: K8N Neo4 Plat SLI - Slow to populate My Computer and slow USB scanning  (Read 860 times)

Clump

System is in sig.  This MAY be Windows related, but I have used the same XP Pro CD to set up several builds and this is the only 1 with the problem.  This is also the only nForce 4 board that I have used.

Here's the problem:
When I click "My Computer" or navigate away from "My Documents" in Windows Explorer I get the search flashlight and it takes 25 seconds to populate.  If I navigate at all in either place and click back it again takes 25 seconds to populate.  I also noticed that when using my USB scanner there is a 25 second delay between clicking scan in Photoshop elements and when the scanner starts.  The delay is always 25 seconds.  Fresh boot, or runniing for days makes no difference.  Other than this problem everything works very well.  The system is very stable.

I have tried both the 6.66 and 6.70 chipset drivers, with and without the IDE drivers.  The IDE drivers make my DVD drives unreliable, but don't effect this issue at all.  Returning everything to stock speeds has no effect.  Indexing service is off, but on or off makes no difference.  There are no network drives mapped.  I'm running all of my SATA drives on the nForce RAID controller.  Using the Marvell network controller.

I have tried disconnecting the optical drives, disconnecting all USB devices including USB mouse, various BIOS and Windows settings none of which has any effect.  I do have front panel USB ports connected and have verified that the extra ground is not present.  Disconnecting them has no effect.  I have not found any description of a similar problem on the net.  Considering a Windows reload, but that's a lot of work that may not solve the problem. 

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.  I'm really at  :wall:  with this problem.  It's not a huge issue, but can be very inconvenient when scanning several pages, etc.

Thanks!

MurdoK

Hello !

Make sure your USB Keyboard / Storage Support setting and USB Mouse Support is set to enabled in Bios.
What does happen exactly when you are using the backside USB ports ?
There is also a Bios update available on taiwanese MSI Bios Page, mentioning Problems with USB2.0 Devices.
Please read the Bios Update sticky in Forum Bios Area before updating......

Good Luck

Greetz MurdoK

Clump

Hello !

Make sure your USB Keyboard / Storage Support setting and USB Mouse Support is set to enabled in Bios.
What does happen exactly when you are using the backside USB ports ?
There is also a Bios update available on taiwanese MSI Bios Page, mentioning Problems with USB2.0 Devices.
Please read the Bios Update sticky in Forum Bios Area before updating......

Good Luck

Greetz MurdoK

Thanks for the reply!
USB keyboard/storage and mouse support are turned on in the BIOS.
The symptom is the same with any, or no USB ports; 25 second delay to populate My Computer.
I'm running the 3.7 BIOS, which is the latest.

JayBee

• Big Bang
  • Space

I would carefully (as described in the manual - making sure to remove power cord during the whole process and waiting 3 minutes before opening case) reset cmos in case there was some bios setting that was reducing fsb or some other setting slowing down disk reads or cpu.  On reboot load optimized defaults, save and exit. Just my own humble opinion.
:noidea:
K8N Neo2 Plat. (MSI-7025) - WinXP Pro SP2
Athlon 64 Manchester X2 3800+
2x OCZ4001024ELDCPE-K
PNY NVIDIA GeForce 6600 GT
CoolerMaster Hyper 6+ CPU Cooler - Antec P160 case - Belkin KVM switch
Plextor DVDR PX-716A
PATA Maxtor 6L100P0 & SATA Western Digital 1600JD-40HBC0
AWARD BIOS V1.CB3 EasyBIOS3 (R.2) BY SYAR
OCZ 420ADJ - 28A(3.3v); 30A(5v); 30A(12v)
(Machine #2)

Clump

I had not thought about clearing CMOS.  Thanks for the suggestion.  It made no difference.   :wall:

I do appreciate any input on this.

Clump

Well, I guess this was a Windows glitch of some kind.  I'm thinking that the problem was there when I first built the system, but I had loaded the 6.66 chipset drivers, including the IDE driver shortly after installing XP.  It may have been related to the IDE driver, which wa later removed.

Last night I decided to remove the nVidia chipset drivers, run driver cleaner and reinstall.  Something went very wrong on the reinstall, preventing the PC from loading Windows, including safe mode.  It would be real nice if system restore could be run from the recovery console, but it can't.  I did a repair installation of XP in order to recover my data and then did a fresh install.  The problem is gone. :agrees: 

Thanks to those who tried to help with this.  It would have been more satisfying to actually solve the problem, but sometimes the shotgun approach is the simplest! :lol_anim:
Pages: [1]   Go Up