Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What is the best SSD harddrive you recommend to buy for laptop MSI GE60 0NC ?  (Read 145 times)

900.gil

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS

Hello,
Can you give me recommendation for SSD hardrive model (the type that look like a chip/memory card.. for the msata slot) for my laptop - MSI GE60 0NC ?

At first I thought it was simple to figure out what I should buy. But as I read more about it, I realize that the choice can be a bad easily.

In some places I read that you can buy microchip that may not work with the computer motherboard..
I read in a certain place the chip can be damaged / burned by the motherboard. So bad things can happen if I choose wrong.

Please give me a recommendation what to buy for this laptop?

I want recommendation (link) form Ebay and ships to worldwide. Minimum 128GB , maximum 70$ price.

Thank you!

david

• MAJOR
  • Proud bodybuilder, bought GT80 Titan & sold gym :)
« Reply #1 on: 17-February-17, 18:29:56 »

Hello,
Can you give me recommendation for SSD hardrive model (the type that look like a chip/memory card.. for the msata slot) for my laptop - MSI GE60 0NC ?

At first I thought it was simple to figure out what I should buy. But as I read more about it, I realize that the choice can be a bad easily.

In some places I read that you can buy microchip that may not work with the computer motherboard..
I read in a certain place the chip can be damaged / burned by the motherboard. So bad things can happen if I choose wrong.

Please give me a recommendation what to buy for this laptop?

I want recommendation (link) form Ebay and ships to worldwide. Minimum 128GB , maximum 70$ price.

Thank you!

Hi 900.gil,

Your post is contradictory. You cannot ask for us to recommend the "best" mSATA SSD then limit the price to $70. And asking for an eBay link is crazy---it's a grey market and not a safe place to make such a purchase unless you know what you're doing. As for the comments about burning microships and motherboards---rubbish! Any mSATA SSD should be compatible with and work with the mSATA slot in your notebook.

So here's my recommendation and I'll provide a link to Amazon.com. If you want to try to buy it from eBay, knock yourself out. The "best" mSATA SSD is probably the 1 TB Samsung 850 EVO mSATA SSD here. But it costs around US$316 which is way out of your budget. But Samsung also offers the same model with smaller storage capacities. The smallest is 250 GB (1/4 the size of the 1 TB I listed above) and it costs around US$98 which is still out of your budget---but not by much. That's the best mSATA SSD in my opinion.

mSATA is now an obsolete standard. It's been replaced by M.2 and MSI uses this newer standard in its notebooks now. (M.2 is not compatible with mSATA.) The fastest M.2 PCIe NVMe SSDs are about 5-7 times faster than the fastest mSATA SSD. But one standard that has been around a long time and is still supported in new notebooks today is the 2.5-inch drive bay. The fastest ones offer a SATA-3 interface which is just as fast as mSATA (and the SATA version of M.2). So here's something else to consider: You could replace your HD with a 2.5-inch SATA SSD. It could be just as fast as an mSATA SSD would be in your notebook because your GE60 0NC has a SATA-3 interface in its 2.5-inch drive bay. A 1 TB Samsung 2.5-inch 850 EVO would cost about the same as a 1 TB mSATA version listed above. (See Amazon.com here.) But the advantage is that you could move it to a new notebook whenever you decide to buy a new notebook. The mSATA SSD won't because new notebooks will probably have M.2 instead of mSATA.

Finally, if you decide to purchase an mSATA SSD, you'll need to open your notebook to inspect the mSATA slot. When MSI ships a notebook without an mSATA SSD, it has a bad habit of omitting the mSATA mounting screws (there should be two) and sometimes it also omits a needed mSATA slot adapter. You'll need to check inside your notebook to see what it needs so you can also purchase the mounting screws and adapter, if needed. If the adapter is needed, you'll probably have to contact an MSI retailer and purchase it from them.

Kind regards, David
GT80 2QE Titan SLI-001 • i7-4720HQ • 32 GB DRAM • 2 x GTX 980M in SLI • 16 GB VRAM (8 GB/GPU) • 2 x 512 GB Micron M600 M.2 SSDs in mirrored Recovery array • 2 x 128 Toshiba M.2 SSDs in mirrored RAID-1 • 2 TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD • MiniPro RAID V2 external case w/ 2 x 2 TB Seagate ST2000LM003 HD in RAID-1 for local backup • 40" Philips 4K UHD BDM4065UC monitor • Gigabyte Aivia Osmium external keyboard • SteelSeries Sensei MLG mouse • Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit • Adobe Master Collection CS6

900.gil

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #2 on: 17-February-17, 21:49:14 »

I did not explain myself correctly.
I mean that I want recommendation for best msata ssd I can find with my budget of 70$ , that suitable to my laptop model.

70$ is realy the maximum so I can't buy the 97$ model you recommended.

About the other option you proposed, I will not pay 315$ for the 1TB SSD just to get extra 300GB .  I prefer to pay 97$ for the msata 250GB model insted
Anyway it is out of my budget.

About ebay, I did not knew that it is gray market.. I just got used to buy from there.. I don't remember myself buying something from Amazon.
But fine, I will try to buy from Amazon. I just need recommendation+link for smoething good (msata ssd) maximum 70$ and minimum 128GB.

please try to recommend me something that bigger than 128GB (As long as it is not expensive then 70$. You know what? I can pay in this case more 10$ extra. and as long it have good performance)

Thank you for the help!

900.gil

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #3 on: 19-February-17, 08:48:57 »

Please help me..

900.gil

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #4 on: 19-February-17, 09:43:01 »

OK At the end I bought the model you recommendation. But the 120GB kind .. I found it in Amazon but I could not order from Amazon because of my shiping address. So I ordered from eBay. By the way, eBay market never disappointed me. I even forgot that it is called the gray market.

It cost me about 87$

Thank you!
Pages: [1]   Go Up