Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can I disable the Nvidia GPU so that the on-board graphics is the only one used?  (Read 589 times)

eplainTopic starter

• PRIVATE E-2

Hi there.  I have an older MSI Laptop (GE620-021US) with a Nividia GT 540M card that is failing (blue screens when any video used).  I obviously can't simply replace the card as they are built into the MOBO and MSI does not have this part in stock anymore.  I would still like to be able to use this laptop for simpler tasks as all other components are fine - like surfing the net, watching movies, and e-mail but I can't do that with the Nvidia card failure as things are very unstable.  Is there a way to make the laptop function with just the on-board intel graphics card?  Through the Nvidia contol panel I can specify which programs/games I want the laptop to explicitly use the Nvidia card but how do I tell it I don't want to use it at all?

CPU-Intel I&-2630QM
HDD - 640 GB
RAM -8GB DDR3
VGA - Nvidia Geforce GT 540M 1 GB DDR3

Thanks.

david

• LIEUTENANT COLONEL
  • Software dev & media creation w/ gaming gear.
« Reply #1 on: 12-January-18, 21:57:51 »

Hi there.  I have an older MSI Laptop (GE620-021US) with a Nividia GT 540M card that is failing (blue screens when any video used).  I obviously can't simply replace the card as they are built into the MOBO and MSI does not have this part in stock anymore.  I would still like to be able to use this laptop for simpler tasks as all other components are fine - like surfing the net, watching movies, and e-mail but I can't do that with the Nvidia card failure as things are very unstable.  Is there a way to make the laptop function with just the on-board intel graphics card?  Through the Nvidia contol panel I can specify which programs/games I want the laptop to explicitly use the Nvidia card but how do I tell it I don't want to use it at all?

CPU-Intel I&-2630QM
HDD - 640 GB
RAM -8GB DDR3
VGA - Nvidia Geforce GT 540M 1 GB DDR3

Thanks.

Hi eplain,

As far as I know, there is no way to do what you want with software. So the NVidia Control Panel won't help. But you may be able to accomplish your goal at a lower level with the Windows Device Manager. Launch the Windows Device Manager and double-click on your NVidia GeForce GTX 540M under "Display adapters". This should launch the Properties dialog for the 540M. Select the "Driver" tab and click on the "Disable" button to disable it. Hopefully, that will achieve what you want. But I don't know if it will survive a reboot (if it doesn't, then you'll have to repeat the process each time you reboot your notebook).

Kind regards, David
GT80 2QE Titan SLI-001 • i7-4720HQ • 32 GB DRAM • 2 x GTX 980M in SLI • 16 GB VRAM (8 GB/GPU) • 2 x 512 GB Micron M600 M.2 SSDs in mirrored Recovery array • 2 x 128 Toshiba M.2 SSDs in mirrored RAID-1 • 2 TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD • MiniPro RAID V2 external case w/ 2 x 2 TB Seagate ST2000LM003 HD in RAID-1 for local backup • 40" Philips 4K UHD BDM4065UC monitor • Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum RGB external keyboard • Logitech G903 Lightspeed wireless mouse w/ Powerplay charging mousepad • Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit • Adobe Master Collection CS6

eplainTopic starter

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #2 on: 12-January-18, 23:03:42 »

Thanks David.  I've so far just used the Nvidia Control panel and set the "manage 3D settings" Global settings to Integrated Graphics and the "Set PhysX Configuration" to CPU.  I've since been able to watch you tube videos and DVDs with no problems but we'll see as I've only just started.  I think I just need to stay away from running the output to a TV or external monitor (as this is through the Nvidia card).  Fingers crossed.

If it freezes again down the road I'll give your suggestion a try.  Much appreciated.

Earle
Pages: [1]   Go Up