Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Screen not waking up from sleep mode  (Read 3319 times)

hadesflamesTopic starter

• CORPORAL
Screen not waking up from sleep mode
« on: 04-January-18, 21:58:37 »

So, after a windows cumulative update for windows 10 (not the latest one, the one before that, however the issue *does* persist with all latest updates as of today installed) my screen will no longer wake up from sleep mode after closing the lid. The PC does wake up, I know because I get notification sound from Discord. The screen however remains black. This forces me to hard reboot in order to get my screen working again. I know it's the windows update, because I rolled back the update (removed the update itself, I didn't do a rollback using recovery options) and it started to work normally again.

My laptop is a GS60 6QE(Ghost Pro 4K)-053US model.

Anyone else experiencing this? Have any solutions?

Thanks

Mr.Gurelli

• SERGEANT
« Reply #1 on: 04-January-18, 23:29:40 »

1] Start The Laptop
2] After the screen shown up push fast F8 
3] And Enter into The Safe Mode

4] When got into safe mode
5] Open Command Prompt.
6] Type and run --- chkdsk

Hope that helps, sincerely...

hadesflamesTopic starter

• CORPORAL
« Reply #2 on: 05-January-18, 03:32:52 »

Chkdsk didn't help. As I said, the issue must have something to do with the Windows 10 July upgrade.

Amaella

• MAJOR
« Reply #3 on: 05-January-18, 09:02:51 »

Are you on the latest bios etc? You can also try to uninstall video drivers using ddu and reinstall them. Else no idea other than resetting windows if this started with an update... Or rolling back if you can ><
Previous laptops: Asus K55VJ (i5-3210m, gt635m, 12GB ddr3 RAM, Samsung EVO 850 500GB)
                          MSI GT72VR 6RE (i7-6820HK, gtx1070, 16GB ddr4 RAM, Samsung 500GB M.2 SSD, 1TB HDD, 120Hz 1080p screen)
Current:              MSI GT75 8RG (i7-8750H, 16GB ddr4 RAM, Samsung 256GBx2 SSD in RAID 0, 1TB HDD, 120Hz 1080p screen, mechanical RGB keyboard)
If my answers help you out, feel free to help me out by marking them as best solution! Happy MSI gaming to all!

Mr.Gurelli

• SERGEANT
« Reply #4 on: 07-January-18, 00:11:22 »

Did you deleted the older versions of windows when you got the computer? If not try to downgrade your system.

james

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #5 on: 07-January-18, 17:49:44 »

I was searching the forums for a solution to this exact problem. GE72-6QF, a moment of pixelated white fuzziness then a blank screen. You could hear the computer wake up but no display. Hard reboot would fix it. I tried rolling back windows updates, no success. What worked for me was updating the generic Intel driver for the onboard video card.

alejandro_cero

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #6 on: 13-January-18, 02:24:33 »

I was searching the forums for a solution to this exact problem. GE72-6QF, a moment of pixelated white fuzziness then a blank screen. You could hear the computer wake up but no display. Hard reboot would fix it. I tried rolling back windows updates, no success. What worked for me was updating the generic Intel driver for the onboard video card.
Thanks, that solved the problem for me.

hadesflamesTopic starter

• CORPORAL
« Reply #7 on: 20-January-18, 22:44:08 »

Update:

I'm on the latest everything. Bios, drivers, windows (1709) etc. Issue persists. Rolling back to Windows 10 1607 (which works) is no longer a viable solution because Windows is now shoving 1709 down my throat within 6 hours of every time I rollback. I even tried disabling windows update entirely but it just fixes itself like a virus.

Any other thoughts would be appreciated. As said before, everything works perfectly on 1607. 1709, screen will not turn on. It's not fuzzy or anything like the previous comments, it's just straight up black because it's turned off as you would expect when it's sleeping. It just never turns itself back on. PC is woken up as I can hear the processor and fans start up, and if I get a Discord message I will hear the notification so everything is running normally just that screen won't turn on.

conantanxb

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #8 on: 24-January-18, 06:39:11 »

Im currently using the same model of laptop as you and is also facing the same problem. Updating the Intel graphics driver didn't work too. Only way is either I don't put the computer to sleep or I have to do a hard reboot after sleeping. Hope to get a solution for this soon

hadesflamesTopic starter

• CORPORAL
« Reply #9 on: 06-February-18, 03:08:47 »

Some extra info:

From reading online, some people experiencing a somewhat similar issue are able to get their screen to wake up by plugging in another screen to hdmi port and then unplugging it. I've tried this, it does not work. A hard reset is the only method of forcing the screen to work again.

zabulllet

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #10 on: 09-March-18, 07:37:43 »

I have the same issue. I often dual wield monitors (laptop + external) and the laptop screen will not come back after a sleep but the external does (pointing to a driver issue)

Anyway, while in this state I updated my intel graphics drivers using

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/detect.html

.....when the drivers installed the laptop screen re-initialised and "came back to life". So either the drivers needs a kick or they've fixed it in the latest release.

I'll keep this updated over the coming week to see if this is a permanent fix (I'll also update with the version I'm using).

zb.

zabulllet

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #11 on: 09-March-18, 16:28:10 »

First 24 hours has been good for the record I'm running

Intel® HD Graphics 530
Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows* [15.60]
Latest version: x.x.x.4901

Installed Version: x.x.x.4901

Up to date

hadesflamesTopic starter

• CORPORAL
« Reply #12 on: 05-April-18, 01:00:24 »

So one thing that worked for me was to change my power settings.

Sleep mode caused the issue, so I changed anything that caused the pc to go into sleep mode to use hibernate instead. It's not quite as fast, but given we're on SSDs, it's still quite fast enough to come back, and it doesn't lock up on me.

However, what finally actually fixed the issue and I'm currently now able to use sleep mode again was just wiping the pc clean and doing a complete factory reset. I know that's a tough pill to swallow, so if the intel gfx driver update above doesn't work for you, then you can try using the hibernate method until you feel like doing a reset.

restaurants

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #13 on: 08-April-18, 18:20:40 »

GT62 VR 7RE - This happened to me after the Windows 10 Creators update (not for long) and then again yesterday after the latest Windows 10 update and a Steel Series Engine update. Windows 10 is not playing nice with the graphics drivers. I put the laptop back to sleep for about 45 minutes and then the display started working again. But Windows 10 substituted a generic graphics driver for the Nvidia driver. When I right-click on the desktop there is no Nvidia Control Center.

I can download a driver at Nvidia drivers but am hesitant to do so because I don't want the problem to start again. I'm not gaming right now so I am going to wait a few days. When Windows puts out a buggy update (every time!) everyone else always scrambles to get the new drivers updated.

oskar.tezak

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #14 on: 07-May-18, 15:18:44 »

My observations so far are on point with all of yours. 

Somewhere after win 10 (I think CU ) update my screen stopped waking up from sleep AND(!) hibernation, but notebook (MSI GS60) works and the only solution I have found is force shutdown and then turning it on again. Irritating. Monitor on display port does wake up and I can use it normally but it doesn't wake up my laptop's screen. 

For sure this problem persists with latest W10 1803 build. 

Regarding integrated 530 graphics; from device manager:
Intel(R) HD Graphics 530 
Driver Provider:  Intel Corporation 
Driver Date:  27. 10. 2017 
Driver Version:  23.20.16.4849 
Digital Signer:  Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibility 
Published 

Maybe I should try and find x.x.x.4901 drivers that zabulllet had recommend.

pellar.david

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #15 on: 21-May-18, 22:49:30 »

First 24 hours has been good for the record I'm running Intel® HD Graphics 530 Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows* [15.60] Latest version: x.x.x.4901 Installed Version: x.x.x.4901 Up to date
 Installation of this driver resolved the rainbow noise after wake up from sleep mode. Thanks mate!

ersin

• SECOND LIEUTENANT
« Reply #16 on: 21-May-18, 23:06:50 »

Came to the forum having same issues. But the problem isnt just the monitor. Could not remote connect using teamviewer either. so somethings locking up. I have to hard reboot the pc. doing a geforce experience update. Hopefully that will help but I doubt it.
Dont Forget To Marked As Best Solution for answers that solved your issue.

FAQ : https://www.msi.com/faq

Use MSI HelpDesk to export system information 
You can find the latest version of HelpDesk in the download link below.
http://download.msi.com/uti_exe/nb/helpdesk.zip

Owner of a GT62VR-7RE
https://www.msi.com/Laptop/GT62VR-7RE-Dominator-Pro/Overview

ersin

• SECOND LIEUTENANT
« Reply #17 on: 25-May-18, 16:55:06 »

Driver update did not resolve the issue. I am behind on my bios/EC updates that will be next to do. This is causing me to do a hard reboot which doesnt produce a bluescreen dump file.
Dont Forget To Marked As Best Solution for answers that solved your issue.

FAQ : https://www.msi.com/faq

Use MSI HelpDesk to export system information 
You can find the latest version of HelpDesk in the download link below.
http://download.msi.com/uti_exe/nb/helpdesk.zip

Owner of a GT62VR-7RE
https://www.msi.com/Laptop/GT62VR-7RE-Dominator-Pro/Overview

tandtmah

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #18 on: 15-September-18, 20:53:24 »

I don't know if people are still having this issue, but I was still having this issue until I updated my Intel HD Graphics 530 driver.  Note that if you try to upgrade the driver from the Device Manager window, it will tell you that you have the latest driver.  You actually have to install the Intel Driver and Support Assistant and choose to upgrade the graphics driver https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/intel-driver-support-assistant.html.  My version that works is: 24.20.100.6286

Thanks for the help!

blakeclenney

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #19 on: 19-September-18, 18:12:28 »

I don't know if people are still having this issue, but I was still having this issue until I updated my Intel HD Graphics 530 driver.  Note that if you try to upgrade the driver from the Device Manager window, it will tell you that you have the latest driver.  You actually have to install the Intel Driver and Support Assistant and choose to upgrade the graphics driver https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/intel-driver-support-assistant.html.  My version that works is: 24.20.100.6286

Thanks for the help!
 This worked for me after doing a windows update but wouldn't take the update until the windows update was completed. Thank you!!

MichaelT.

• FIRST LIEUTENANT
« Reply #20 on: 19-September-18, 18:22:01 »

Update:
I even tried disabling windows update entirely but it just fixes itself like a virus.

Pages: [1]   Go Up