Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HOW MUCH SHOULD I CHARGE THE LAPTOP AND IS IT OKAY TO LEAVE IT PLUGGED IN?  (Read 5983 times)

bluetorres7Topic starter

• PRIVATE E-2

when i charge the laptop's battery do i remove the plug once it hits 100 % and then when it's near empty i plug it in again and keep doing this over and over again? or do i leave it plugged ? and by this will no problems happen to the battery ? i just want to know what's the best way because i use the laptop for many hours and the battery doesn't stay that long so i'll keep plugging and removing alot .. also it used to say not charging when it reaches 100 % which made me feel better because i think that means that it knows it's full so it's not ruining anything .. but now it says "fully charged" instead of "not charging" i don't know what changed it so if anyone knows the best way to charge it and what are the things that would harm the battery and if i am doing anything wrong by keeping it plugged   ..    it's an MSI GE72 6GF APACHE PRO .. never mind the rest i'll copy and paste the topic because it says minimum 350 words lol .. when i charge the laptop's battery do i remove the plug once it hits 100 % and then when it's near empty i plug it in again and keep doing this over and over again? or do i leave it plugged ? and by this will no problems happen to the battery ? i just want to know what's the best way because i use the laptop for many hours and the battery doesn't stay that long so i'll keep plugging and removing alot .. also it used to say not charging when it reaches 100 % which made me feel better because i think that means that it knows it's full so it's not ruining anything .. but now it says "fully charged" instead of "not charging" i don't know what changed it so if anyone knows the best way to charge it and what are the things that would harm the battery and if i am doing anything wrong by keeping it plugged   ..    it's an MSI GE72 6GF APACHE PRO

manavmanoj100

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #1 on: 02-April-16, 11:32:16 »

You can have better performance if you use it while charging

m00nban3

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #2 on: 03-April-16, 01:36:38 »

Actually, li-ion battery is suppoused to have a ser ammount of charges so you shouldnt uncharge it that much unless youre expecting to change rhe battery the first year.
Yet, when your laptop is on it is not chargeing sou you can use it plugged as long as it is on. I have had best long time preformance with this batteries by unplugging the laptop when it is off but not letting the battery get to 0. Hope i was of any help

blackwidowja

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #3 on: 03-April-16, 17:16:00 »

What does the manual say? Im almost sure I saw something about allowing full discharge onec a month or something like that. Just check the info provided I thinks that your best bet.

I also unplug when my laptop is off. Only satys plugged in when I'm actually using it.

posteador

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #4 on: 05-April-16, 03:37:21 »

rinde mucho mas cargandolo mientras la usas pero no te exedas tanto

cjreb777

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #5 on: 08-April-16, 00:08:44 »

I own an Msi ge62 Apache pro. It comes with a program called Battery Calibrator. That should give you a better idea of the state of your battery. Also I saw a reply to your post, of not to discharge the battery too much. He is very accurate in that if you discharge it more than 3-5% it harm the battery. And wont hold a charge, or charge enough to fill it. If I remember Electrical School. Plus you do get better performance when its plugged in. Hope this helped.

ptnmills

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #6 on: 11-April-16, 07:54:23 »

Keeping the charger plugged in when the laptop battery is already full can damage your battery. I suggest that you remove the battery and use the charger instead if you don't want to be bothered.

wolfserpent03

• CORPORAL
« Reply #7 on: 17-April-16, 15:04:05 »

I keep mine plugged in all the time . There is a battery calibration on the laptop it stated to do this every 3 months to keep batter in top shape hope this helps

gbarthou

• STAFF SERGEANT
  • Msi Gs40 6QE Phantom 001
« Reply #8 on: 19-April-16, 16:09:40 »

Hi, I have an msi gs40 if you use the laptop plugin in when it saids full charge you will be charging the batery and that is bad for it. You have 2 options: 1) Like you said , you have to wait till the batery is at 10% and then plug in to charge it at 100%... This is very hatefull.... so option 2: You need to have the msi aplication that makes you to stay with the batery at 100%--- when it saids: "not charging" .... I have that on my MSI... I dont know why in your laptop that option doesnt apear any more.

poopoo22k

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #9 on: 21-April-16, 22:46:35 »

i have the same problem with my laptop too. i'm guessing that the batts or dead so my advise is to buy new batts for you laptop

tokphys

• SECOND LIEUTENANT
« Reply #10 on: 28-April-16, 17:42:39 »

Keeping the charger plugged in when the laptop battery is already full can damage your battery. I suggest that you remove the battery and use the charger instead if you don't want to be bothered.

Well, battery is kind of built-in. You cannot easily detach it, you need to disassemble the laptop...

spantelic

• CORPORAL
« Reply #11 on: 29-April-16, 01:14:18 »

True, I have bad habit of forgetting to unplug the charger, and in a matter of months I noticed the significant decrease in duration of charges :P

seanmrad97

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #12 on: 30-April-16, 09:06:25 »

For any battery in any device for a better battery life you should plug in the charger when it's under 10% and unplug only when it's at 100%. These rules are normally universal for any batteries.

moolchandanimohit83

• SERGEANT
« Reply #13 on: 13-May-16, 15:15:01 »

It is better you unplug the charge when battery is 100 charged . but you can keep the charger plugged in while for better performance but don't plug in if it's 100 charge it may damage your laptop in few cases it is seen that overcharging lead to even laptop damage

wujman

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #14 on: 13-May-16, 18:37:25 »

The best thing to do for any laptop battery would be to start a charge cycle when the battery is under about 20% (although under 20% is even better). let it charge to 100% then disconnect the charger. It would be better not to use the laptop while it is charging. If you do not really need the battery it would be better to remove it and keep the laptop plugged in. But if (like most people) you want to keep the battery in the laptop, I would suggest buying a few spare new official batteries for the laptop. (be careful of cheap knock-offs because they don't work well.)

tokphys

• SECOND LIEUTENANT
« Reply #15 on: 14-May-16, 03:44:44 »

Guys, why do you all suggest disconnecting the charger? Charging circuit should be smart enough to stop charging as soon as battery reaches 100%... If it's not, then it's a really stupid product. I don't believe MSI laptops don't have this logic. Heck, they don't even start charging, until battery falls below 90%. Personally I've never encountered this problem, only in old and cheap charger for Ni-Cd AA batteries, that I had for my portable tape player.

What you guys are suggesting (constant charge/discharge cycling) will basically destroy the battery in several months.

moolchandanimohit83

• SERGEANT
« Reply #16 on: 14-May-16, 03:56:26 »

Circuit are smart enough to disconnect but if he is using his PC while over charging if connect disconnect i n very few moments which is not good for this kind of DC power supply sometime due to circuit problem laptop may overcharge it battery and battery will swell whie in future can put excessive pressure on motherboard above or below it

sadako

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #17 on: 21-May-16, 04:25:05 »

I read about the better performance when you leave the battery charging all the time... but my personal opinion ist: it's a bad idea for not removing the battery, because all my notebooks before I could remove the battery without any screws or open the chassis.
And I read about it in many manuals. If you're not using your notebook so often with the battery alone, it's better to put your battery into a desk and load it from time to time
The own warming of the notebook, can damage the battery cells..
This is what I remembering and my batettrys had after 4 years the power nearly the first days

kshaharudin

• SERGEANT
« Reply #18 on: 27-July-16, 16:09:59 »

i leave mine plugged in and switched on constantly and reboot it as little as possible.

when i travel i shut it down and then upon arrival i boot it up and leave it on and plugged in.

occasionally i'll disconnect the charger if i'm, for example, just taking the laptop on the terrace to say watch a movie or to bed for a little late night writing (light stuff).

but for most part i keep my laptops (numerous) on and running.

phantom gs40

princeflorante

• KING of DRAGONIANS
  • CORPORAL
  • I LOVE THIS REWARDING WEBSITE!!! WAHOOOOO.....
« Reply #19 on: 28-July-16, 02:02:35 »

when i charge the laptop's battery do i remove the plug once it hits 100 % and then when it's near empty i plug it in again and keep doing this over and over again? or do i leave it plugged ? and by this will no problems happen to the battery ? i just want to know what's the best way because i use the laptop for many hours and the battery doesn't stay that long so i'll keep plugging and removing alot .. also it used to say not charging when it reaches 100 % which made me feel better because i think that means that it knows it's full so it's not ruining anything .. but now it says "fully charged" instead of "not charging" i don't know what changed it so if anyone knows the best way to charge it and what are the things that would harm the battery and if i am doing anything wrong by keeping it plugged   ..    it's an MSI GE72 6GF APACHE PRO .. never mind the rest i'll copy and paste the topic because it says minimum 350 words lol .. when i charge the laptop's battery do i remove the plug once it hits 100 % and then when it's near empty i plug it in again and keep doing this over and over again? or do i leave it plugged ? and by this will no problems happen to the battery ? i just want to know what's the best way because i use the laptop for many hours and the battery doesn't stay that long so i'll keep plugging and removing alot .. also it used to say not charging when it reaches 100 % which made me feel better because i think that means that it knows it's full so it's not ruining anything .. but now it says "fully charged" instead of "not charging" i don't know what changed it so if anyone knows the best way to charge it and what are the things that would harm the battery and if i am doing anything wrong by keeping it plugged   ..    it's an MSI GE72 6GF APACHE PRO

MINE NEVER BEEN REMOVE THE PLUG AND IT ALWAYS ON AND NOTHINGS HAPPENED UNLESS YOU GET IMMITATION LAPTOP YOUR BATTERY WILL GET HOT AND IT BURN YOUR HOUSE SO BE CAREFUL.   HAHAAH DON'T GET SCARED BUT IT HAPPENED TO ALL PEOPLE WHEN THEY COME BACK THEIR HOME BECOME ASHES.
8-)) KING of DRAGONIANS8-))

surendra1864

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #20 on: 05-August-16, 05:23:23 »

If you want best experience and smooth play...better leave it plugged it in....dont let your battery drained every time...if u do it oftenly then the capacity to hold charge of battery will be lessened and in the course of time you have to get it changed.

jentebecaus

• CORPORAL
  • Beginning Gamer!
« Reply #21 on: 06-August-16, 07:51:19 »

I leave it in always, 
But yeah.. It will kill your battery after a few years.
My Laptop Build:

x Intel® Core™ i5 CPU (M520)
x NVIDIA GeForce GT 230M
x HP Pavilion dv6
x 2x 2GB RAM (4GB)

jurisicmarkojurke

• SERGEANT
« Reply #22 on: 19-September-16, 11:18:34 »

I totaly agree, when at home, and battery is full, remove it and use ur laptop like that. while on charger ofc.
OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Home
Dell XPS 8700 mainboard (z87 chipset)
Processor : QuadCore Intel Core i7-4790, 3800 MHz (38 x 100)
GPU : MSI gaming GTX 970 4g
RAM : 16 gb
Power unit : BeQuiet! System power 8 600w
And a SATA 2TB hdd with 32gb cache ssd acceleration.

jasonc0330

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #23 on: 25-September-16, 18:08:05 »

If it's gonna be under a heavy workload like during gaming sessions just leave it plugged in. If you're only browsing on social media or other less demanding activities, especially if you know your session won't be that long anyways, leave it unplugged. Also, it's highly recommended to leave it unplugged when you're not using it and when you aren't using it, I recommend that you actually turn off the laptop and not just leave it in standby mode. The battery will go longer before requiring replacement. Also try not to leave the power brick on surfaces like carpet where heat will just build up, at the least put it over a ceramic plate or bowl.

raymundo.cassani

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #24 on: 05-October-16, 00:31:34 »

The battery type can be either a high capacity Li-ion or Li-polymer, in both cases the battery has not memory effect (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memory_effect).
From the GE62VR user manual:

• You can use the system, suspend system operation or shut down and turn off the system without interrupting the charging process.
  • The Li-ion or Li-polymer battery has no memory effect. It is unnecessary to discharge the battery before recharging. However, to optimize the life of battery, we suggest that consuming the battery power completely once a month is necessary

Check also this link:
http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

warpedspaceman

• STAFF SERGEANT
« Reply #25 on: 09-October-16, 17:45:45 »

Hi there

I'd straight up leave the battery in. Over the years batteries have got so much better and  like mine, you might actually find you have better performance with it plugged in. Just remember to do the battery calibration once in while though.

matt.riggle

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #26 on: 29-October-16, 20:41:09 »

I have always left mine plugged in 90% of the time on different laptops and I've never worn out a battery. I wouldn't concern myself with it too much with these laptops as we have all purchased above average computers. They dont build these with cheap materials like some toshibas and the like.

reo9260

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #27 on: 04-November-16, 16:58:42 »

I've used an MSI gaming laptop for two years now. Leaving the charger in havent had any bad influence on the laptop at all. Plus keeping the charger plugged in will give the laptop better performance (unless you change the setting ofc) But to be fair, if u dont need the mobility of the laptop I suggest u go for a desktop pc :)

momawethebest

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #28 on: 01-February-17, 10:06:04 »

memory efect is one thing but other is that after 100% if stay plugged battery is heating and this is not good

darkknight302

• STAFF SERGEANT
« Reply #29 on: 24-February-17, 18:20:46 »

I have to keep mine plugged in or I won't be playing for long lol. I haven't tested it yet but it's suppose to run at about 1 hour before needing to be plugged in.
Main Rig
Intel 6850K @4.4Ghz ** Asus Rampage V 10 ** Asus Strix 1080 SLI ** Corsair Vengeance 32G ** Samsung 840 Evo  750G ** Seagate Barricuda 6TB ** EVGA DG87 ** H220 X2 ** EVGA 1000 P2 ** Asus PG348Q ** Corsair K70 RGB ** Logitech G900
Laptop
GT73VR Titan SLI 212

vaska6

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #30 on: 04-March-17, 23:05:37 »

this in not true,;;; charging process  will stop automaticly when the battery will 100 %. so you can keep you charger plugged and it is  normal.
u can do a calibration  in every 3 mounths.  u dont want to remove battery or charger.... 

GamerAstro

• SERGEANT
« Reply #31 on: 18-March-17, 13:26:01 »

Hi! I Suggest You If You Want 

Performance, Take your battery out and leave it Plugged In

Normal Usage, Use It While Not Plugged In

CPU Intensive Games (For 30 - 45mins), Plugged In With Battery.

CPU Intensive Games (For 45mins or more), Take your battery out and leave it Plugged In

GPU Intensive Games (For 15 to 30mins) Plugged In With Battery.

GPU Intensive Games (For 30mins or more), Take your battery out and leave it Plugged In

CPU & GPU Intensive Games (For 10 to 20mins) Plugged In With Battery.

CPU & GPU Intensive Games (For 20mins or more) Take your battery out and leave it Plugged In

Surfing The Net, Plugged Out If Theres Juice or else leave it plugged In

Video Editing, Plugged In With Battery.

Watching A Movie, Plugged Out If Theres Juice or else leave it plugged In.

Hope this would help you :)

macbaba04

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #32 on: 20-March-17, 17:08:56 »

You can always charge it while using it, don't know though if this will ruin the life span of the battery, but that's what I do, use it while charging.lol

anthony.laconte

• CORPORAL
« Reply #33 on: 21-April-17, 04:43:16 »

It's fine to keep it plugged in because modern batteries are protected from overcharging. You get better performance that way too. Just use the battery calibration tool every once in a while.

marcelkapono

• CORPORAL
« Reply #34 on: 20-May-17, 17:10:51 »

When working at your desk, it's best to let it charge to 90 or 100%, then unplug it and let it drain to 20(ish)%. Do this constantly while you are using your computer. When leaving your computer off for a long period of time, its best to charge it to around 50% before shutting the computer off completely.

jonah_hair

• CORPORAL
    • PC dude for all
« Reply #35 on: 24-May-17, 01:55:49 »

I remember that i ever charging my laptop overnight. I thought that it would be okay until the next morning that my motherboard is fried. It does not want to turn on even charge, so better not to charge it overnight.

altamash.aziz.01

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #36 on: 27-May-17, 16:42:35 »

I usually use my laptop as much as I want to. When the battery drops to 20%, I turn the charger on and use it while charging too. I remove it from charge when it gets to 100%. It is okay if the charger is on and ypur battery is already at 100%, because now-a-days when the battery is full, the power brick stops charging the laptop (In my case).

egialfazo1992

• CORPORAL
« Reply #37 on: 30-May-17, 05:05:06 »

its ok to always plug in dude. every new series have power cut if your laptop already fully charge. And MSi recomend to calibrating battery use MSI Battery Calibration app every 3 month to keep your battery performance. you can download it from MSI website.
Cheers :biggthumbsup:

karnik.akshay

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #38 on: 30-May-17, 22:27:52 »

Its always better to keep it charged while playing a game, assures you that you get the best experience.
I keep the charging off for a while when I am browsing things.

dejdarova.m

• SECOND LIEUTENANT
« Reply #39 on: 01-June-17, 02:09:58 »

Definitely leave it plugged in most of the time unless you need it on battery. Why? When on battery the nvidia graphics card you paid huge buck for will not boost to its promised clocks and stay in power saving mode (at least on gt series this seems to happen). The battery simply does not hold enough power for it. Do discharge it to about 20/30% every month or so (unplug it and watch a movie or sth, that works for me). I do this with my asus I bought in feb. 2013 and the battery still holds up to about 80% factory charge capacity, which is enough and can power the laptop for 2-3 hours depending on usage and settings (so no need to replace after more than 4 years yet). Good stuff, smart batteries. Hope my new MSI will reach similar results.

lee.xianyao95

• CORPORAL
« Reply #40 on: 07-June-17, 09:03:31 »

Keep it plugged in, your laptop should stop charging after reached 100%, then automatically charging when fall below 90%.
Plugged in should give your laptop the best gaming condition that your laptop's hardware can give.

nunez.o.jonathan

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #41 on: 16-June-17, 16:11:22 »

Hello, 

I think it's better if you unplug the charger when the battery is at 100% unless you are using it for heavy stuff (like gaming). I owned my first laptop in 2007 (pretty old stuff) and I used to leave the charger plugged all the time. Within about 2 years the battery was completely obsolete, it was not charging at all and the laptop could only be "on" if it was plugged. 

Hope this helps.

darrengriffiths89

• PRIVATE E-2
  • Tell me where they are.
« Reply #42 on: 17-July-17, 12:15:14 »

Keep it plugged in, your laptop should stop charging after reached 100%, then automatically charging when fall below 90%.
Plugged in should give your laptop the best gaming condition that your laptop's hardware can give.

I agree 100% with lee.xianyao95, although i just had a crazy issue last night were it must have reached 100% and my dragon center must have thought it was disconnected and the shift mode disabled and my frames dropped during battlefield 1. Now when its plugged in my shift mode doesn't work and my games run on default nvidia 980 performance. No shift mode :( Im currently addressing it with the support team. Reinstalled the command center and dragon center flashed EC. Still not working.
3rd Year Game Developer Student @ University West Scotland.
Proud Owner of the MSI GT72 29th Anniversary Dragon Edition Laptop.

11696ron

• SERGEANT
« Reply #43 on: 20-August-17, 00:00:23 »

The way I always treat my laptop or phone is keeping the percentage high but don't keep it plugged past one hundred percent for too long unless you're using it. If the battery starts to die quicker you let the battery discharge by letting it completely die and then charging it up to one hundred percent. Also stopping applications from running on startup or in the background helps a lot too.
Xbox Live: RonHGeneral
Steam ID: RonHGeneral
My Gaming Rig:

miracsies

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #44 on: 28-August-17, 16:23:10 »

you can leave it plugged.

onurkymcck

• SECOND LIEUTENANT
« Reply #45 on: 08-September-17, 06:21:56 »

I don't know :/
Pages: [1]   Go Up