Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Video Player  (Read 634 times)

henry.poppeTopic starter

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
Video Player
« on: 30-June-17, 16:55:33 »

Video Player

Hello everyone. 

New owner of a WE72 7RJ.  I'm a cgi artist and 3d modeler from Oklahoma.  I do a lot of demo videos for distribution and recently ran into a problem.  Can't get my dvd's to play.  At first I thought it might be the dvd, but then I tried a commercial dvd, and it won't play, either.  Finally got windows Media Player down onto the task bar.  When I insert the disk it won't start playing even though I've turned on auto play.  Appears to me that I'm missing something.  Been doing this type of work for years, but between this new laptop and W10 I'm thinking there's something I'm missing.  Can play the video from a data file (mp4) from the desktop and other media (usb, etc) but not the disk.  Any help or suggestions to get this to work will be greatly appreciated.

runningman

• CAPTAIN
« Reply #1 on: 05-July-17, 08:34:13 »

henry.poppeTopic starter

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #2 on: 07-July-17, 01:33:01 »

First, thank you to everyone who at least looked at my post.  Thanks, runningman for your response.  Here's the latest.

As an artist when I go to a potential client with a sales pitch, whether it's for a video or pic, or model I have to demonstrate my product to the most common denominator.  In the case of videos, that means Win Media Player.  My clients often have to share it among several people.  WMP is native to Windows, so it's the most common.  I'm sure you can imagine the impact it would have if I demanded they have a different or particular media player.
What bugs me about this whole situation is that for all the years I've owned and used laptops for my business I've never had to use anything other than WMP.  Not saying it's the best or anything, but it is the most common.  Here's my question why would WMP play a mp4 data file, but not read a dvd?  In addition I did use it to create restore disks that burned just fine.  Weird.
I finally did get hold of MSI tech support after the long holiday.  They said I needed to send it in for repairs.  What?  Brand new - just out of the box - haven't even installed any software on it yet, and I have to return it?  Not to mention that is on my dime.  Disappointed is a very mild description of how I feel right now.  Course if it all comes back and its working it may be worth the cost.  Don't get me started on my dime again please.  Thought I had done my homework about which new laptop to get and was willing to take a chance on this one.  Love the features.  Now if I can just get them features to work I may cool down enough to be able to write an actual by god review.
Anyway, thanks again runningman for taking the time and trouble.
Hank

Nidhoggr

• LIEUTENANT COLONEL
« Reply #3 on: 07-July-17, 01:46:23 »

Microsoft removed the DVD codec from WMP in Windows 10 (maybe earlier, I cannot remember when they removed it). You'll need to install an application which includes the codec. Once the codec (MPEG-2 DVD) is installed on the system, then WMP and other video players can then play DVD movies or other files using said codec.

Forgive me, if I'm misunderstanding your problem.

henry.poppeTopic starter

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #4 on: 07-July-17, 02:15:26 »

Thanks Nidhoggr

Keeps getting weirder and weirder, eh.   Now I'm not sure if I understand it, either.   Thanks, will definitely look at all that once I get the laptop back.  Wasn't aware MS removed the codec to play DVD's.  Have WMP10 on workstations here and on my previous laptop.  Now I'm curious about what tech support is going to do.

henry.poppeTopic starter

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #5 on: 19-July-17, 01:57:28 »

Howdy Everyone
Thank you for all the views and the help.  To say that it's been an interesting journey is an understatement.  I ended up having to send my brand new laptop back (yes, it was on my dime - not impressed MSI).  What I was impressed with is the work and speed with which repairs were done, so kudos.
Nidhoggr was absolutely correct.  win 10 comes without the dvd play capabilities.  Yet another nail in their coffin (MS not MSI).  Makes me wonder if that was the original problem.  Unfortunately I had already sent it in by the time I discovered that.  So where does that leave me.?  Went out and downloaded the free vlc media player.  Here's why - http://www.pcworld.com/article/2953724/windows/how-to-play-dvds-in-windows-10-.  Check it out.
I feel like I'm behind the tech curve with all this.  Thanks again for all the help.  Kudos to MSI.
In the process of setting up an online store for my cgi imagery.  Will take awhile, but will try and post it here if I can.  I'm very curious as to whether this laptop will live up to the hype.  Now I can maybe get to work.  I'm an old man in a world of kids, but I'm starting to have faith in them young'uns.

Hank

Nidhoggr

• LIEUTENANT COLONEL
« Reply #6 on: 19-July-17, 02:07:28 »

Not many people are completely with the tech curve as it constantly changes. :undecided:

Goodluck.

henry.poppeTopic starter

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #7 on: 19-July-17, 02:35:07 »

Roger that Light Bird.
Pages: [1]   Go Up