Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Defective GTX 1080 - Black Rectangles  (Read 339 times)

josh.1993Topic starter

• CORPORAL
Defective GTX 1080 - Black Rectangles
« on: 08-July-17, 14:31:08 »

So i spent 2 long months fighting MSI regarding an issue i have with my GTX 1080 Seahawk X - As my retailer are refusing to honour the warranty terms for reasons i won't go in to.

Finally, last week MSI agreed to repair my card, which i sent off at my own cost to arrive in Poland for their RMA team to look at. All great, i was finally going to have my problem resolved.
My card arrived Monday evening. I get notification that my card got dispatched back to me Tuesday morning - I was thoroughly impressed, that team works fast!

...No. My card arrives back here in the exact same condition as when i sent it - MSI did absolutely nothing.

Can someone on this forum please tell me the attached is a definite problem with my graphics card, before MSI tell me there was no fault?
I have completely reinstalled my whole PC, swapped PCI-e ports, changed PCI-e power cable and even put it in eco mode amongst other things.

The problem happens in more games than i have screenshots for, but i think that gives you an idea.

Nichrome

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1 on: 08-July-17, 14:32:52 »

Hi

It might be a defective graphics card. However without knowing full system spec, we may be just guessing. See >>Posting Guide<<
Did you maybe try different monitor, different video port, different video cable?
I only take responsibility for what I say, not for what you understand.  Any posts are my own views!

josh.1993Topic starter

• CORPORAL
« Reply #2 on: 08-July-17, 14:39:17 »

Hi, thanks for your reply!

Yes i have tried a different monitor, different video port etc - Done all of the main things.. Not really much else i can do!

I have attached my msinfo, if this helps.

CPU: Intel core i7-3770k
Cooler: Corsair H100i V2
Motherboard: Asus Z77 Sabertooth
PSU: NZXT Hale90+ 1000w
GPU: MSI GTX 1080 Seahawk X
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2 x 4GB

Nichrome

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: 08-July-17, 14:40:42 »

Msinfo does not help. It does not tell me anything about power supply used, CPU cooler, exact RAM modules etc..
Edit (forgot to add)
It does look like faulty graphics card in my opinion. Such artifacts often occur when OC is unstable, there is not enough voltage or there is issue with VRAM.
Post S/N of the card and current vBIOS, maybe an update will help (if there is an update).
I only take responsibility for what I say, not for what you understand.  Any posts are my own views!

josh.1993Topic starter

• CORPORAL
« Reply #4 on: 08-July-17, 15:06:20 »

The S/N of the card is: 602-V336-04SB1608001915

Not sure exactly where to find vBios easily?

Nichrome

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: 08-July-17, 15:08:37 »

See: https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=167763.0

Are you able to test different PSU? I am aware that your PSU is more than sufficient, but who knows..

josh.1993Topic starter

• CORPORAL
« Reply #6 on: 08-July-17, 15:23:40 »

Hi Nichrome,

Please use the below link for my vBios:
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AkRI4hnw0_Y4hXD8XO6cENEPIBnY

I don't have another PSU lying around unfortunately :S

Nichrome

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: 08-July-17, 15:27:54 »

There's an update.
.191 => .192

Give it a go. Use nvflash to flash it.
* NV336MH.7z (140.21 kB - downloaded 8 times.)

josh.1993Topic starter

• CORPORAL
« Reply #8 on: 08-July-17, 15:33:05 »

Doesn't look very user friendly, this NVFLASH. Is there not an easier way, or a guide?

Nichrome

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: 08-July-17, 15:40:50 »

A guide:
http://www.overclock.net/t/1523391/easy-nvflash-guide-with-pictures-for-gtx-970-980

Or simply said:

Download and extract the vBIOS I have provided. Change file name and extension to vbios.rom
Download nvflash and place its folder into C: drive. Place the vbios file into nvflash folder.

Open CMD as administrator:
Type: cd C:\nvflash [ hit ENTER]
Then: nvflash64 -6 vbios.rom [hit ENTER]
If it doesn't go through, try: nvflash -6 vbios.rom

josh.1993Topic starter

• CORPORAL
« Reply #10 on: 08-July-17, 15:47:48 »

Hi,

I think i've done it correctly - can you confirm?
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AkRI4hnw0_Y4hXH1FdsH_bLx_lNG

If so, the problem still persists and it didnt work..

Nichrome

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: 08-July-17, 15:52:31 »

Yes it flashed successfully.
Try Afterburner. See if lowering Core Clock and Memory Clock by 100, and eventually 200 removes the issue. >>How to use MSI Afterburner<<
Otherwise, well, I think you have no better choice but to request RMA once again. But before you do it, I would strongly suggest trying with different PSU. Maybe a friend, neighbour or local IT shop/service can help you test the card.
>>How to contact MSI.<<

josh.1993Topic starter

• CORPORAL
« Reply #12 on: 09-July-17, 13:38:05 »

Looks like the card is definitely defective... Tried your last suggestions and still have the same problem. Thanks very much for your help though!

Nidhoggr

• LIEUTENANT COLONEL
« Reply #13 on: 09-July-17, 19:10:56 »

Usually that type of issue is related to the VRAM; fairly uniform artifacting. Most likely its only a problem with a single chip or only some addressing on a chip, and that's why is doesn't affect every pixel.
CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K | Motherboard: MSI Z170A Gaming M7 | RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 2666MHz | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6G | CPU Cooler: Corsair H110i GTX | PSU: Corsair AX860i | Chassis: Corsair Graphite 780T | SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 512GB (Boot Drive) | HDD: Western Digital Black 2TB | O/S: Windows 10 Pro x64

josh.1993Topic starter

• CORPORAL
« Reply #14 on: 10-July-17, 14:01:13 »

Yeah it must be - I managed to source another PC last night (My other halfs) and stuck it in - No change. Definitely a component failure somewhere... Will get back on to MSI!

Oddly though in-game the black rectangles are static. On Google Chrome, they can flicker and change it's bizarre.

Nichrome

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: 10-July-17, 14:05:27 »

Sorry to hear. Please let us know how it goes!
Write your S/N down somewhere, maybe take photo of the sticker. This way, if you get the card back, you'll know if it's indeed replacement or repair.

Nidhoggr

• LIEUTENANT COLONEL
« Reply #16 on: 10-July-17, 14:13:58 »

The frame buffer acts differently in desktop rendering vs 3d rendering.
CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K | Motherboard: MSI Z170A Gaming M7 | RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 2666MHz | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6G | CPU Cooler: Corsair H110i GTX | PSU: Corsair AX860i | Chassis: Corsair Graphite 780T | SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 512GB (Boot Drive) | HDD: Western Digital Black 2TB | O/S: Windows 10 Pro x64

josh.1993Topic starter

• CORPORAL
« Reply #17 on: 10-July-17, 14:14:50 »

Well it doesn't go great so far! MSI have requested I provide 'proof' in the form of a video, because their engineers say there's nothin wrong with the card...

Nichrome

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: 10-July-17, 14:18:07 »

Well, then record it. I hope it's not a problem?

josh.1993Topic starter

• CORPORAL
« Reply #19 on: 10-July-17, 14:23:29 »

Of course not! I'll get the video later tonight and send it across - It's just frustrating that my pictures and description of the problem was not enough, and I am now essentially being called a liar and gotta jump through hoops to prove myself :)

Nichrome

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: 10-July-17, 14:29:55 »

In my opinion, they want to make sure that the issue actually exists. You pay for postage there, but then they have to test the product, document everything and send it back. I assume they want to avoid a fake RMA request, as your card was already in service.

josh.1993Topic starter

• CORPORAL
« Reply #21 on: 10-July-17, 14:34:16 »

I understand that, to a point.

It's not my fault this problem was left to exist during the first service - All information I provided to you above was exactly what I sent them via Email for the RMA. You'd think an actual engineer would have known what was up, especially as you guys in this forum had a good idea. You would imagine the engineer would try a vBios update - Or at least reproduced the problem I had. I'm sure they got tools for that.

Anyway that's just me venting frustration - At least I'm getting somewhere, hopefully after the video they'll take the card back and everything will be all gravy again :)

Nichrome

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: 10-July-17, 14:36:30 »

Yeah...
Make sure to point the camera on the S/N sticker, just to convince them it is indeed this specific card...

josh.1993Topic starter

• CORPORAL
« Reply #23 on: 10-July-17, 14:41:26 »

I thought that - I'll be putting everything I possibly can into the video just to avoid any more questions.
Thank you very much for your help, i'll be sure to update when they respond.

josh.1993Topic starter

• CORPORAL
« Reply #24 on: 17-July-17, 12:15:11 »

Hi All, just to give you an update:

A week has gone by, and MSI are still adamant in telling me my GPU is 'fine', because their engineers said so.

"Dear Joshua,
Can you please tell us if that issue appears while on test with some software program?
Like with some software test in order to replicate the issue.
As our engineers have checked but they didn’t find anything. GPU is working fine."

That is all they can muster.

Please see below for the video i sent them, forgive the quality/audio but it clearly shows the problem i experience every time i turn the PC on (And it's getting worse!)

Would you guys turn around and tell me the issue is not an issue, and the GPU is in great health?

Interestingly enough, they did not have my card for that long. They received it on a Monday at 12:08pm. They were able to send it back to me by 09:30 on the tuesday.

What can i do, MSI clearly do not want to help me?

darkhawk

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: 17-July-17, 14:03:14 »

The best I can suggest is to keep trying.
I'll see who I can contact regarding it.
System #1 :
MSI Z97 SLI Plus
Intel i7 4770k @ 4.5 GHz @ 1.28VCore
16 GB DDR3 @ 2400 MHz
480 GB Intel DC S3500
2TB WD Black Edition
2TB Seagate HDD
MSI GTX1080 Armor Edition
Asus Xonar XTX

System #2 :
MSI B350 Gaming Plus
Ryzen 5 1500 X (stock speeds for now)
16 GB DDR4 @ 2400 MHz (Adata memory)
128 GB PNY SSD
320 GB Seagate HDD
MSI R9 280X

System #3 : 
MSI Z270 Tomahawk Arctic
Intel i5 7400T
128 GB PNY SSD
2TB Seagate HDD

Svet

• T9246ED, Бивша комета
  • Administrator
« Reply #26 on: 17-July-17, 18:56:01 »

best test the card in another computer

darkhawk

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: 17-July-17, 20:59:30 »

best test the card in another computer

See : https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=289153.msg1636109#msg1636109

He already did.....issue was the same with a different PC, same GPU.
System #1 :
MSI Z97 SLI Plus
Intel i7 4770k @ 4.5 GHz @ 1.28VCore
16 GB DDR3 @ 2400 MHz
480 GB Intel DC S3500
2TB WD Black Edition
2TB Seagate HDD
MSI GTX1080 Armor Edition
Asus Xonar XTX

System #2 :
MSI B350 Gaming Plus
Ryzen 5 1500 X (stock speeds for now)
128 GB PNY SSD
320 GB Seagate HDD
MSI R9 280X

System #3 : 
MSI Z270 Tomahawk Arctic
Intel i5 7400T
128 GB PNY SSD
2TB Seagate HDD

josh.1993Topic starter

• CORPORAL
« Reply #28 on: 18-July-17, 08:10:42 »

MSI finally agreed to take my card back again, but only because i accused them of not checking it properly the first time..

I fear they are going to send it back to me still broken again, but here's hoping!

Upon further analysis, it seems that possibly these rectangles are only evident in certain applications depending on the API used to display them - Do you think this can be the case - would a hardware fault cause such an odd thing?

League of Legends uses DX9 (i think), and i imagine Dark Souls 1 also uses DX9 due to its age. Games like CSGO, Overwatch etc are on a newer API and i do not have the same problems.
Furmark uses OpenGL and the benchmark test was perfectly fine - Unigenes Heaven was also fine on DX11 - Regrettably i didn't test Heaven on DX9 as i forgot that was an option.

I have no idea how Chrome/Edge are programmed to display, mind so i could be chasing a red herring.

Nichrome

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: 18-July-17, 08:42:45 »

Those artifacts shouldn't appear at all! It should work just fine with old and new stuff.

joshua.magsino14

• CORPORAL
« Reply #30 on: 19-July-17, 02:06:32 »

Its definitely a Defective GPU, You already have tested it in another computer, I hope they fix it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up