Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to properly use the cooler boost function?  (Read 234 times)

richardsejourTopic starter

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
How to properly use the cooler boost function?
« on: 08-August-17, 04:39:51 »

Hey guys,

I just got my new [font="Amazon Ember", Arial, sans-serif]MSI GT72VR Dominator Pro[/font][/url], and I am loving it, aside from the touchpad which I find really buggy....but thats sort of off-topic.

The main reason I bought this laptop was for gaming and accessibility, as I am sure most who have an MSI product do as well. However, I still want to preserve my laptop for as long as possible, and that means keeping it in good shape. I heard that abusing the cooler boost function can cause your fan to die prematurely. I assumed that you should use it anytime you are gaming, but I also heard that you should engage cooler boost a little before gaming. How do you use this function properly?

I would appreciate any assistance. Thank you.

alastorx0001

• SERGEANT
« Reply #1 on: 08-August-17, 04:44:33 »

i use mine when ever i start a game, or if im doing any intense work, but thats about the only time i use it unless its hot inside and temps are up i turn it on for an hour or so,
MSI GT60 
i7-4810mq undervolted
8gb of stock ram,
GTX 870M with modded vbios
samsung 840 250gb OS drive
sandisk 480gb game drive
1tb 7200rpm storage drive,
Svet unlocked bios (highly recommended hit him up great person and will help) 
modded cooling lapped contact point added many small heatsinks to the heatpipes have in works to add an extra heatpipe for cpu if i keep laptop, 

Currently seeking a 980M 8gb MXM card for upgrade and any info regarding the swap,

alastorx0001

• SERGEANT
« Reply #2 on: 08-August-17, 04:50:05 »

also should mention my laptop is roughly 5 years old now, with the oem fan, works great still no noise or bad sound from it, rpm is good and with cooler boost on it still makes no noise to be worried about, and this is after many many hours of gaming using the boost, so i honestly would not worry about hurting the fan
MSI GT60 
i7-4810mq undervolted
8gb of stock ram,
sandisk 480gb game drive
modded cooling lapped contact point added many small heatsinks to the heatpipes have in works to add an extra heatpipe for cpu if i keep laptop, 

Currently seeking a 980M 8gb MXM card for upgrade and any info regarding the swap,

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #3 on: 08-August-17, 04:59:26 »

Thanks Corporal,

I frequently play games 6+ hours, so understandably I am concerned about my fans just dying...but then again without the cooler boost the temperature could kill my pc. Man I love Catch-22's.

Anyways, while I have you here, is g-sync really worth it? I ran a benchmark with g-sync active and my graphics card performance was poor, but when I took v-sync off it performed much better.

alastorx0001

• SERGEANT
« Reply #4 on: 08-August-17, 05:22:04 »

as for g sync i dont know sadly i have an older model GT, as for fan dying ive left my boost on for days when i forget to turn it off and walk away lol so its been used quite a bit,
MSI GT60 
i7-4810mq undervolted
8gb of stock ram,
sandisk 480gb game drive

joshuazanotto

• CORPORAL
« Reply #5 on: 08-August-17, 05:36:44 »

I wouldn't be worried about the fans dying you can always purchase replacement fans to use make sure to take care of your CPU and GPU top priority

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #6 on: 08-August-17, 06:44:19 »

Thanks guys. I'll use my cooler boost when I game.

alastorx0001

• SERGEANT
« Reply #7 on: 13-August-17, 02:32:42 »

also i ment to mention if you are worried about temps getting to high, i just today decided to try a new thermal compound IC diamond ive never used it before and figured id give it a shot, i normally use noctua which it had on it before, i was at 85c cpu load and 80c gpu load, after applying the IC diamond i went down to 67c cpu load and 54-57c gpu load, i couldnt believe it, i could not have this thing in my lap before it would burn my leg, now i can barely feel it, and this is with out cooler boost on, with it i barely hit 50c on the gpu and 54c on cpu im blown away
MSI GT60 
i7-4810mq undervolted
8gb of stock ram,
sandisk 480gb game drive

Pages: [1]   Go Up