Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Turn off or disable repeating Dust cleaning function on MSI 1080 TI Lightning Z?  (Read 260 times)

DrDeathhandTopic starter

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS

Dear ladies and gentlemen,

Recently (3 / 4 days ago) I replaced my MSI GTX 980TI Lightning vidcard for a new MSI GTX 1080 TI Lightning vidcard.  I am enjoying this vidcard very much, it is really quiet (you just dont hear the fans running when they are on)
the temperatures are really kept in check whici is awesome and the card just oozes out performance!
But I would not be making a post on this forum if I did not encounter any problems.  I am experiencing two issues with the vidcard.  I will explain below.

1. I can not correctly control the LED functionality (I want the LEDS off!) on the card with the Mystic Lights soft which is not really important but it would be nice if this problem could be solved.
2. The main issue has to do with the Dust cleaning functionality that keeps repeating it self when the vidcard reaches a certain temperature which makes the fans turn on and thus run the Dust cleaning functionality.

As you all understand while gaming the vidcard reaches many different temperatures.  
The main game I am playing right now is the Witcher 3 which runs on ULTRA settings.  This is a demanding game and taxes the vidcard accordingly but the vidcard runs it without ANY problems. 
Except that in really demanding visual areas of the game the vidcard reaches high temperatures and thus the fans kick in and begin their Dust cleaning cycle.
But then when exploring less demanding visual areas the vidcard cools down and the fans turn off to idle after a while. 
This whole cycle naturally keeps repeating it self while playing The Witcher 3 and other games and because of during a play session I repeatedly hear the vidcard turning on its fans, starting the the Dust cleaning function then after a while it repeats it self again, and after a while again etc.

For me this a really really REALLY IRRITATING and annoying functionality.  So much so that I want to return this otherwise AWESOME vidcard and exchange it for an other 1080TI
I don't mind the Dust cleaning function happening one time when my computer starts up (which I the 980ti lightning does) but having this Dust cleaning function repeatedly happening while I am gaming is a no go.
I am not the only one with this problem, I have read many reviews about the MSI GTX 1080 TI Lightning vidcard before buying it and every review says the same and every reviewer notices this and finds this a weird function.

So my question for you all is as following:
Can you PLEASE PLEASE PRETTY PLEASE help me and or all the other owners of the MSI GTX 1080 TI Lightning vidcard by finding someway to either turn off the Dust cleaning functionality or changing it that it only happens once (when starting your computer)  or help us with a tool so that we can configure this our selves?

I really hope you can help me and others that experience this problem. 

Greetings

DrDeathhand

Nidhoggr

• LIEUTENANT COLONEL
« Reply #1 on: 12-August-17, 14:50:30 »

1) Mystic Light app doesn't allow you to disable the LEDs?

2) There is no dust cleaning function. The fans will go to 100% during boot when the card initializes/power on self test and the firmware takes control and the fan profile is used. Many cards do this

Is the card cycling between 100% and 0% when playing Witcher, or just between 0% and the fan being on? Zero Frozr technology means the fan only turn on after the GPU hits 60C. If the card's fan are turning on and off repeatedly, then the card's temperature must be hovering close to the 60C threshold.

You should be able to use MSI Afterburner to create a custom fan profile so that the card doesn't hover around the threshold temperature or you can use a static fan speed.

A fan profile problem could also be a problem with the firmware.

Please post the Afterburner logs while you are playing Witcher 3. I'll need the hardwaremonitoring.HML file.

DrDeathhandTopic starter

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #2 on: 12-August-17, 20:58:32 »

1) Mystic Light app doesn't allow you to disable the LEDs?

2) There is no dust cleaning function. The fans will go to 100% during boot when the card initializes/power on self test and the firmware takes control and the fan profile is used. Many cards do this

Is the card cycling between 100% and 0% when playing Witcher, or just between 0% and the fan being on? Zero Frozr technology means the fan only turn on after the GPU hits 60C. If the card's fan are turning on and off repeatedly, then the card's temperature must be hovering close to the 60C threshold.

You should be able to use MSI Afterburner to create a custom fan profile so that the card doesn't hover around the threshold temperature or you can use a static fan speed.

A fan profile problem could also be a problem with the firmware.

Please post the Afterburner logs while you are playing Witcher 3. I'll need the hardwaremonitoring.HML file.
Dear Nidhoggr,

I am sorry but I have to correct you on this one but there really IS a Dust cleaning function.

I know that with most graphics cards these days a dust clean spin happens when the PC boots op.  I have been a gamer for about 30 years, I build my own PC's
and for work I am a systems engineer so I do know what is going on, what I am doing and when something is different then it should be.
 Otherwise I would be gaming right now and not spending my time in making a post on this MSI Forum or replying to you.
Anyways, Like I said in my initial post is that I used to have (like 5 days ago) a MSI GTX 980TI Lightning before I got this MSI GTX 1080 TI Lightning
and that card would only do the Dust clean cycle like you described.
 I would turn on my computer,  the MSI GTX 980TI Lightning would do a 100% fan spin to clean it self from dust (dust clean feature) and then turn to normal.
While gaming it would NOT do this again.  It would just spin its fans but slowly really quietly when it would reach a certain temperature and then most of the time go to idle.
I would only hear the card during booting up my machine but after that I would not hear it until the next boot because that is how quiet this Lightning card was.

With the MSI GTX 1080TI Lightning its a WHOLE other story.  The story I described in my initial post.
Like I said I am not the only one who is experiencing this. Here are 3 MSI GTX 1080 TI Lightning reviews from different but well respected review sites which exactly
note the same thing I am experiencing.  And YES it is a Dust cleaning Functionality because MSI it self says so.

Examples below:
** I do have to make a side note: fore 2-3 seconds once the card moves from passive mode to active mode, the card spin up fast and loud for a few seconds after which they return to a low RPM state, once the fans are spinning at that mod this card remains silent. The card does exhibit a tiny bit of coil whine, though it is very little and likely cannot be heard in a closed case
Source: http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/msi_geforce_gtx_1080_ti_lightning_z_review,11.html

One issue with the idle-fan-off system is that every time the temperature crosses the fan-stop threshold, all fans will spin at full speed momentarily, which according to MSI is for their dust cleaning function (other cards do this once during system startup).
Source: https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GTX_1080_Ti_Lightning_Z/28.html

Our only gripe is that within about 2 minutes of going under load the fan spins up really fast (approximately 2200RPM) for 2 or 3 seconds before ramping back down to normal levels. We’re not sure why and it seems like a vBIOS glitch that ought to be ironed out at a later date.

EDIT: MSI replied to our fan speed concern above on the 10th July 2017 and they said this was implemented on purpose.

1. The function helps remove the dust on the fan blade and fins of thermal module.
    2. It also helps warm up the bearing of fan and make it smooth while rotating.

To answer your two question.

1. The Mystic Light software SOMETIMEs does something with the LED lights but then only for one boot.  This is a problem that every MSI GTX 1080TI Lightning card holder is experiencing.  There is a
post on these same forums with someone asking help for that. See  https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=290047.0

2. I know I am able to make fan profiles ETC with MSI Afterburner software but the thing is I should not have to do this.  I never had to do this before.
I should just be playing a game, the card should just be doing its thing, fans being idle or spinning but NOT doing a Dust Clean Cycle every time the card gets to a certain temperature because of
a load which is placed on the card because of gaming.  So I can post an Afterburner log but this wont be useful because it wont show anything.

I hope with my response I made things clear for you and everyone else.  I hope you or someone from MSI can help / do something about this REALLY stupid IRRITATING repeating Dust Spin Cycle
every time the card goes under load (and thus gets warm).

Awaiting your response,

GReetings

DrDeathhand

Nidhoggr

• LIEUTENANT COLONEL
« Reply #3 on: 12-August-17, 23:02:43 »

You do know this is just a user-to-user forum. No one is going to read a essay.

I just wanted a simple answer. If you want MSI to fix a problem then contact MSI directly. Thanks.

metro1310

• SERGEANT
« Reply #4 on: 13-August-17, 11:33:52 »

Hey Did u get same problems with Lights on videocard? I can't get combo lightnings. If i want to switch light. I can choose between any colour (Only one) or get 'default rainbows'. I can't get same effects  Just only 1 any colour in any preset or default rainbow in any preset. Sorry im bad in english. You pointed out the news above. Yes im also have problem with noise of with card after 55 degrees. and RGB Mystic Light. Noone Mystic Light doesn't work for me. Only last Beta Mystic Light. On others writee "The platform doesn't support bla bla bla'. What i should to do?

flobelix

• MSIHQ Red Rockets Team Member
  • Global Moderator
  • 微星科技
    • MSI 30 years anniversary
« Reply #5 on: 13-August-17, 12:53:37 »

Enough of this. Not another thread needs hijacking. >>Please read and comply with the Forum Rules.<<
MSI X99A Gaming 9 ACK (MS-7882) Bios 3.6 
Core i7 6800K @ 4100.51 MHz (41 * 100.01 MHz), 1.294v
Corsair H110 Liquid CPU Cooler
32GB (4 x 8GB) Corsair CMK32GX4M4C3000C15R @ 1500.2 MHz (DDR4-3000), 15-17-17-35-2t 1.35v            
MSI GTX 1080 GAMING X 8G
500GB Crucial MX200 SSD + 750GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 480GB Crucial BX200 SSD
Corsair RM1000 +12V: 83.30A • +3.3V: 25A • +5V: 25A
Windows 10 Pro
Cooler Master HAF XB EVO case

metro1310

• SERGEANT
« Reply #6 on: 13-August-17, 13:02:05 »

ok, then what i should to do? it's not my fault

flobelix

• Global Moderator
  • 微星科技
« Reply #7 on: 13-August-17, 13:12:54 »

Nothing will be discussed here. We were already discussing it elsewhere.
32GB (4 x 8GB) Corsair CMK32GX4M4C3000C15R @ 1500.2 MHz (DDR4-3000), 15-17-17-35-2t 1.35v            
MSI GTX 1080 GAMING X 8G
Windows 10 Pro

DrDeathhandTopic starter

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #8 on: 13-August-17, 17:59:17 »

Hey Did u get same problems with Lights on videocard? I can't get combo lightnings. If i want to switch light. I can choose between any colour (Only one) or get 'default rainbows'. I can't get same effects Just only 1 any colour in any preset or default rainbow in any preset. Sorry im bad in english. You pointed out the news above. Yes im also have problem with noise of with card after 55 degrees. and RGB Mystic Light. Noone Mystic Light doesn't work for me. Only last Beta Mystic Light. On others writee "The platform doesn't support bla bla bla'. What i should to do?
Dear Metro1310,

Like I said in my post,  the Lighting issue is something which is not really of importance to me.  That is something that is being handled in this  https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=290047.0  forum topic.

The problem I need help with and from what I read you to is the whole thing about the Dust Clean Cycle turning on multiple times while gaming.
So I do hope that someone can help with this, maybe the Moderator that has responded can help in contacting the right people or
maybe there is another way??

flobelix

• Global Moderator
  • 微星科技
« Reply #9 on: 13-August-17, 18:43:26 »

There is no "dust cleaning" cycle on this card. There never has been any dust cleaning function on any card in games but on system startup. Then fans were spinning backwards. When the fans are in passive mode they might speed up when target tempearture is reached under load or they might speed faster when temps are increasing in games. I can't see what your problem is.
MSI GTX 1080 GAMING X 8G
Windows 10 Pro

DrDeathhandTopic starter

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #10 on: 13-August-17, 18:54:52 »

There is no "dust cleaning" cycle on this card. There never has been any dust cleaning function on any card in games but on system startup. Then fans were spinning backwards. When the fans are in passive mode they might speed up when target tempearture is reached under load or they might speed faster when temps are increasing in games. I can't see what your problem is.

Dear Flobelix,

I am sorry to say this but...  well... I do have to correct you on this one.  There are multiple reviews out there (which I have posted in my previous posts) which show you that there is
a Dust cleaning cycle or something like that on this card.  Here read these posts below.

Examples below:
** I do have to make a side note: fore 2-3 seconds once the card moves from passive mode to active mode, the card spin up fast and loud for a few seconds after which they return to a low RPM state, once the fans are spinning at that mod this card remains silent. The card does exhibit a tiny bit of coil whine, though it is very little and likely cannot be heard in a closed case
Source: http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/msi_geforce_gtx_1080_ti_lightning_z_review,11.html

One issue with the idle-fan-off system is that every time the temperature crosses the fan-stop threshold, all fans will spin at full speed momentarily, which according to MSI is for their dust cleaning function (other cards do this once during system startup).
Source: https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GTX_1080_Ti_Lightning_Z/28.html

Our only gripe is that within about 2 minutes of going under load the fan spins up really fast (approximately 2200RPM) for 2 or 3 seconds before ramping back down to normal levels. We’re not sure why and it seems like a vBIOS glitch that ought to be ironed out at a later date.

EDIT: MSI replied to our fan speed concern above on the 10th July 2017 and they said this was implemented on purpose.

1. The function helps remove the dust on the fan blade and fins of thermal module.
    2. It also helps warm up the bearing of fan and make it smooth while rotating.
Source:  https://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/ryan-martin/msi-gtx-1080-ti-lightning-z-11gb-review/12/

So no matter what this thing is called,  it is a REALLY REALLY Irritating thing.  Like I said in my first post,  like what you just said,  I dont really mind that a card does a Dust Clean Cycle
when the PC boots up, this is normal, I had this with many cards, including the MSI GTX 980 TI Lightning that I just had a week ago.  
But now with this card it happens EVERY time when card reaches a thermal threshold,  it begins this Full fan Spin Cycle (which MSI says it helps to remove dust on the fan blades etc)  
While I am gaming this happens over and over and over.

So I am asking you, asking anyone, asking MSI, please help us turn this full fan spin thing when the card reaches a thermal threshold off, or give us an option to turn this off our selves or make it like all other graphics cards that it only happens when you start your computer.

flobelix

• Global Moderator
  • 微星科技
« Reply #11 on: 13-August-17, 19:51:26 »

It is not possible to clean off dust with fans running in the same direction they are running normally anyway so that sounds like rubbish. However I will contact MSI about it. Also please stop copying your essay about this arcticles you found in any post. Makes it unnecessarily confusing.
MSI GTX 1080 GAMING X 8G
Windows 10 Pro

DrDeathhandTopic starter

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #12 on: 14-August-17, 18:47:49 »

It is not possible to clean off dust with fans running in the same direction they are running normally anyway so that sounds like rubbish. However I will contact MSI about it. Also please stop copying your essay about this arcticles you found in any post. Makes it unnecessarily confusing.
By the way,

Do you need any other information from my side?  Like my sys specs etc?

flobelix

• Global Moderator
  • 微星科技
« Reply #13 on: 14-August-17, 19:13:25 »

So far no.
MSI GTX 1080 GAMING X 8G
Windows 10 Pro

flobelix

• Global Moderator
  • 微星科技
« Reply #14 on: 15-August-17, 09:54:51 »

To close this: After speaking to MSI it is clear that it is normal and wanted that the fans would start spinning to nearly 2XXX RPM for 2~3 seconds when the temperature reaches the thermal threshold of Zero Frozr and after 2~3seconds the fan speed would drop back to around 1XXX according to GPU temperature. They also told me that this has been implemented for dust cleaning reasons what I still can hardly believe. Might also be for cooling reasons to prevent from too much heat getting stuck after the end of passive phase on this card with a pretty extreme TDP. However there is no option to disable this function as long as Zero Frozr is used. 

You can prevent the spin ups when you disable Zero Frozr in Gaming APP and thus keep the fans spinning permanently. Note that Gaming APP has to run to do so and that Gaming APP only works using the normal vbios (not LN2 vbios).
MSI GTX 1080 GAMING X 8G
Windows 10 Pro

DrDeathhandTopic starter

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #15 on: Yesterday at 21:01:40 »

To close this: After speaking to MSI it is clear that it is normal and wanted that the fans would start spinning to nearly 2XXX RPM for 2~3 seconds when the temperature reaches the thermal threshold of Zero Frozr and after 2~3seconds the fan speed would drop back to around 1XXX according to GPU temperature. They also told me that this has been implemented for dust cleaning reasons what I still can hardly believe. Might also be for cooling reasons to prevent from too much heat getting stuck after the end of passive phase on this card with a pretty extreme TDP. However there is no option to disable this function as long as Zero Frozr is used.

You can prevent the spin ups when you disable Zero Frozr in Gaming APP and thus keep the fans spinning permanently. Note that Gaming APP has to run to do so and that Gaming APP only works using the normal vbios (not LN2 vbios).
Dear Flobelix,

First thank you very much for your time and your energy on this matter.  I really appreciate that.!

A question about your answer:
Why has this feature (the 2 - 3 second spin up) not been implemented on any other videocard that I know of?  I have not read anything about this 2 - 3 second spin up feature on the MSI 1080TI Gaming X cards, it does not exist on the
MSI GTX 980TI Lightning that I had before (it only did 2 - 3 second 100% fan speed dust spin cycle on start up) and it does not exist on other cards like the Asus GTX 1080TI Strix, Gigabyte GTX 1080TI AOrus, Zotac GTX 1080 TI AMP edition cards etc.

I mean my MSI GTX 980TI Lightning which I had for a couple of years also had Zero Frozr technology, and it ran with passive fans @ Certain temperatures until a certain temperature threshold would be reached and then it would activate its fans quietly. It would NOT spin up for 2 - 3 seconds at 100% fan speed which then would slow down to a lower fan speed.  I did not have to turn of the Zero Frozr technology or had to change anything with the Afterburner software.

Please dont get me wrong,  I really do LOVE this MSI GTX 1080TI Lightning vidcard.  Its one heck of a card! it REALLY is!!,  it runs soooo smooth and it makes sooo little noise and it runs with such low temperatures
even in passive mode!!  So I REALLY REALLY want to keep on using my MSI GTX 1080TI Lightning card.
But understand this... having a 1000 euro Vidcard in my quiet computer which makes a lot of noise many many times during a game session at random is a no go and well if this can not be changed or corrected I do think
I will have to return this beautiful piece of hardware to the store and exchange it for well something less fancy (but still AWESOME) like an ASUS GTX 1080TI STRIC OC 11G card or a MSI GTX 1080TI GAMING X card.

So... As a loyal MSI customer that has owned a MSI 580GTX Lightning, a MSI GTX 980TI Lightning and now a MSI GTX 1080TI Lightning I want to ask you the following:  can you please get in contact with your MSI Contacts again
and ask them if they can somehow change this 2 - 3 second 100% fan spin cycle thing so that it only happens when the computer and thus the vidcard is turned on for the first time??  (like all cards do including my previous MSI GTX 980 TI Lightning)  Please??

Again to be clear, I am not talking about disabling or changing the standard Passive to Active fan mode which the Zero Frozr technology provides.  This is normal and should continue because its wonderful and really does provide an awesome feature.  I am purely talking about the 2 - 3 second 100% fan spin cycle.

Awaiting your response,

Greetings,

DrDeathhand
Pages: [1]   Go Up