Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cool N Quiet Overclocking Bug With B350 Tomahawk Arctic  (Read 242 times)

steven_ansellTopic starter

• PRIVATE E-2

Hi all,

With the latest beta UEFI (VH73) and the latest release version (H7) for the B350 Tomahawk Arctic, I'm experiencing an issue with regards to overclocking at a UEFI level that I didn't experience in previous versions.

The bug is that if I enable Cool N Quiet in the UEFI, it disregards my overclock in Windows 10. Instead my speed remains at 2700MHz. If I disable Cool N Quiet, the overclock registers, but then of course the system remains at the overclocked speed all the time. Cool N Quiet works fine with the multiplier set to Auto.

Before the most recent board updates, these two settings did not conflict. I could happily have an everyday overclock of 3600MHz with Cool N Quiet enabled, which would allow the system to downclock to 2700MHz and reduce voltage accordingly.

I'm able to work around this with Ryzen Master, but I'd much rather do this at a UEFI level.

Has anyone else experienced this or otherwise reported it to MSI?

abba256

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #1 on: 09-November-17, 21:25:29 »

https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=292478.0
Yes. I have this promlem too.

Reported problem to MSI - they answered that they can not replicate problem.
The only solution i found is to disable CnQ

xcom.register

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #2 on: 14-November-17, 09:56:57 »

The bug is that if I enable Cool N Quiet in the UEFI, it disregards my overclock in Windows 10. Instead my speed remains at 2700MHz. If I disable Cool N Quiet, the overclock registers, but then of course the system remains at the overclocked speed all the time. Cool N Quiet works fine with the multiplier set to Auto.

Before the most recent board updates, these two settings did not conflict. I could happily have an everyday overclock of 3600MHz with Cool N Quiet enabled, which would allow the system to downclock to 2700MHz and reduce voltage accordingly.

I'm able to work around this with Ryzen Master, but I'd much rather do this at a UEFI level.
This also happens to my B350M Mortar Arctic, bios version 7a37vA7 (http://download.msi.com/bos_exe/mb/7A37vA7.zip).

Cool 'n Quiet enabled = multiplier sets itself to 27 (and i think vcore also changes to whatever the firmware wants)
Cool 'n Quiet disabled = multiplier  obeys my will -_-!

And as steven_ansell said, this did not happen in previous version of the firmware, in my case 7a37vA6 (http://download.msi.com/bos_exe/mb/7A37vA6.zip), both overclocking and Cool 'n Quiet worked perfectly fine.

I did not test Ryzen Master tho, but i will also prefer to do this at UEFI, i mean... that's the whole propose of having access to the SETUP program of a BIOS/UEFI.

(Also i want to see a way to control LED's in the motherboard that's not with MSI own applications, but i know that's not gonna happen so whatever)
Pages: [1]   Go Up