Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: b350m mortar arctic impossible manual oc  (Read 165 times)

brandonTopic starter

• PRIVATE E-2
b350m mortar arctic impossible manual oc
« on: 14-November-17, 03:30:34 »

the only way to oc on this board is the game boost which adds 200mhz. otherwise, nothing else will work. i even tried underclocking by lowering the cpu ratio -100mhz, and it won't get to post. adding +0.025 to the vcore and stock cpu ratio will also fail. changing from auto to manual with stock speeds will fail. the only thing that doesn't fail manually is the RAM settings. 

i've tried using multiple bios and they're all the same. is there anyone out there that has had success manually overclocking using this mobo?

bios versions i've used in my test:
VA.1
VA.2
VA.3
VA.4
VA.5
VA.7
VA.74 (beta)

buddyw53

• STAFF SERGEANT
« Reply #1 on: 14-November-17, 19:01:01 »

What is your system configuration?

I've a B350M Mortar with R7 1700, 2x4GB 2666 FlareX DIMMs, Gigabyte RX 480 GPU.  The 1700 is overclocked to 3.95G and ram to 3066 so I do know this board overclocks manually quite well.

You should disable cool n quiet, core boost and (at least at first) C6 states.

What adjustments are you making to BIOS settings?

Oh, by the way... v1.74 is a beta BIOS version that results in a release version 1.7.  That's how I understand the FAQ on the beta BIOS page, at least.
https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=283344.0

brandonTopic starter

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #2 on: 15-November-17, 13:32:53 »

I have a 1600X with 2x8 2666 Vengeance LPX, GTX 1080. The only way I can successfully overclock manually is via Ryzen Master. I can get to 3.9 GHz @1.41 vcore stable with prime. 

I've tried disabling C6, Cool n Quiet, Core Boost and manually setting the CPU ratio to the default value (36) and the mobo fails to boot. I am pretty sure the bios is just buggy and doesn't work with manual overclocking because game boost works just fine and nothing else.

brandonTopic starter

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #3 on: 15-November-17, 17:24:15 »

i overclocked again using ryzen master to 4.0 GHz and ran prime95 and no issues. i am sure this pretty much confirms the bios is broke. is there somewhere or someone i can report this issue to?

buddyw53

• STAFF SERGEANT
« Reply #4 on: 18-November-17, 13:31:11 »

I have a 1600X with 2x8 2666 Vengeance LPX, GTX 1080. The only way I can successfully overclock manually is via Ryzen Master. I can get to 3.9 GHz @1.41 vcore stable with prime.
Since you can get a nice overclock with Ryzen Master I'm confident you should with the BIOS too.  You've already indicated you have the latest release (VA.7 for the Mortar Arctic) so that should be good. 

Make absolutely positive you don't have anything set strange... especially with memory settings (there are tons of parameters there) it's easy to overlook something.  

Make sure the Automatic Overclocking control is completely disabled. Actually, it may be best to reset CMOS and start from clean BIOS settings and do NOT run RyzenMaster before you start adjusting BIOS for your overclock.

Adjusting only processor multiplier and voltage controls, and in small increments (leave everything else in default settings for now), try a minor overclock at first just to see if it's working.  Don't do anything with memory until you've got a processor overclock that's stable.

Mortars do overclock very well, I know since I have one and it's doing just fine for me.  I'm hardly great at it, definitely not one of those so-called expert types, I'm just careful and try just a few things at a time in small increments to avoid injecting more troubles than I can figure out.
Pages: [1]   Go Up