Airplane Mode Going Full Retard

master_murray

New member
SERGEANT
Joined
Mar 7, 2016
Messages
46
Hi, can anyone tell be why this is happening (see vid below). It constantly turns on and off when I play The Rise of the Tomb Taider (I think it's only tomb raider because I've tried CS GO on steam and it doesn't happen). On a side note as well, a couple of days before tomb raider worked fine without the airplane mode issue. Also I play tomb raider with a wireless XBOX ONE controller and CSGO with a keyboard, but I doubt the controller is the problem.

I have a GT72 6QD-2AU (HM170 chipset) running wins 10 and I've updated everything to what is on the MSI website.
What I've tried:
Reinstall the network adapters, even the killer performance suit
Checked The Rise of the Tomb Rider to see if there are any corrupted files via steam
Unchecked the option where the system can turn off the adapters to save power
 

Attachments

rockinfreakshow

New member
FIRST LIEUTENANT
Joined
Feb 11, 2016
Messages
301
Doesn't your laptop ship with an Intel WiFi adapter? 
If so, can you provide the exact Intel chipset version and the installed driver version (as shown in Device > Properties > Driver). 

Personally, I would not have Killer software managing an Intel WiFi adapter..,
 

master_murray

New member
SERGEANT
Joined
Mar 7, 2016
Messages
46
No clue. I left it there because msi had it there. And I haven't had any problems with killer lately. It only happens in tomb raider for some reason.
 

nmaia

New member
CORPORAL
Joined
Apr 15, 2016
Messages
11
Hi.

You are not alone on this.

There is a thread with the same issue.
https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?threads/268396

I'm also experience this problem and last Friday I submitted a ticket reporting the problem. Still waiting for reply.

I've done "everything" without success. Bios updates, drivers, etc.

The odd thing at least with my system is that the issue happens even with the Wifi Adapter disabled!

Hope to get news from MSI because this is a serious issue.
 

master_murray

New member
SERGEANT
Joined
Mar 7, 2016
Messages
46
rockinfreakshow date=1463245134 said:
So......., what Intel chipset is it?
Like I at the top it's a HM170. But I'm pre all MSI mobo comes with an intel chipset with a killer chipset installed on it as well.
 

master_murray

New member
SERGEANT
Joined
Mar 7, 2016
Messages
46
nmaia date=1463388219 said:
Hi.

You are not alone on this.

There is a thread with the same issue.
https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?threads/268396

I'm also experience this problem and last Friday I submitted a ticket reporting the problem. Still waiting for reply.

I've done "everything" without success. Bios updates, drivers, etc.

The odd thing at least with my system is that the issue happens even with the Wifi Adapter disabled!

Hope to get news from MSI because this is a serious issue.
Thank you friend.
Atm I'm not sure if mine is fixed. But I tried playing tomb raider again after I tried something and no issue so far. For me it's only in tomb raider when it happens and I wasn't even connected to any network.
 

master_murray

New member
SERGEANT
Joined
Mar 7, 2016
Messages
46
Nmaia I was also reading in the thread that you linked that some people sugested turning off the option where windows takes control whether it can turn the adapter off to save power or not, personally I tried that and it didn't work so don't bother this that suggestion. 
 

nmaia

New member
CORPORAL
Joined
Apr 15, 2016
Messages
11
I've tried all of that with no luck.

Drivers, bios, disable windows power management, etc. Nothing.

I noticed that there is a Driver listed on the installed apps that's called "KB9X Radio Switch Driver".
I guess it handles the FN+F10 combination.

Uninstalled it and I'm testing now.

But my issue is not related to any game... It happens randomly, even with nothing running, just being logged in.

So what I do is while at work and working on a PC next to the laptop I keep an eye on it and wait for the notification...
 

master_murray

New member
SERGEANT
Joined
Mar 7, 2016
Messages
46
nmaia date=1463393135 said:
I've tried all of that with no luck.

Drivers, bios, disable windows power management, etc. Nothing.

I noticed that there is a Driver listed on the installed apps that's called "KB9X Radio Switch Driver".
I guess it handles the FN+F10 combination.

Uninstalled it and I'm testing now.

But my issue is not related to any game... It happens randomly, even with nothing running, just being logged in.

So what I do is while at work and working on a PC next to the laptop I keep an eye on it and wait for the notification...
Just a suggestion to see if the problem is from the wifi adapter, but have you tried disabling the wifi adapter (from control panel) and see if the problem still precists? I can't check that with mine because mine only happens on a game and it problem hasn't shown up yet.
 

nmaia

New member
CORPORAL
Joined
Apr 15, 2016
Messages
11
master_murray date=1463396729 said:
Just a suggestion to see if the problem is from the wifi adapter, but have you tried disabling the wifi adapter (from control panel) and see if the problem still precists? I can't check that with mine because mine only happens on a game and it problem hasn't shown up yet.
Hi

Happens even with the wifi card disabled on the network settings.

I've uninstalled the KB9X Radio Switch Driver, that handles the FN+F10 Airplane Mode Switch
and also the Killer Network software just in case.


After that I have received the support reply and done all the suggested steps. Lets see how all goes.

I think that its ok to post it here because its kind of generic...

"[font="Times New Roman" serif]Please refer to the steps below for trouble shooting and we can check if the problem is related to the driver.
1. Perform Windows Updates untill there is no updates available.
2. Do the EC reset.
EC reset steps
a). Power off the notebook.
b). Remove the AC adapter.
c). Insert the straighten paper clip to the EC/battery reset hole located at the back side of the notebook and hold for 15 seconds
d). Wait for 10 to 15 minutes.
e). Connect the AC adapter.
f). Power on the system.

3. Follow the FAQ to uninstall all the Intel wifi driver/software from Programs and Features
https://www.msi.com/faq/notebook-2144
4. Reboot your system.
?5. Download and reinstall the wifi driver from Intel website..
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/81534/Wireless-Software
6. If the Intel generic wifi driver cannot solve your problem, kindly repeat step 3 to reinstall wifi driver from MSI download webpage fo your notebook.
https://www.msi.com/Laptop/support/GE62-6QD-Apache-Pro.html#down-driver&Win10 64

Best Regards,
MSI Notebook Technical Application Department"[/font]
 

master_murray

New member
SERGEANT
Joined
Mar 7, 2016
Messages
46
nmaia date=1463408385 said:
Hi

Happens even with the wifi card disabled on the network settings.

I've uninstalled the KB9X Radio Switch Driver, that handles the FN+F10 Airplane Mode Switch
and also the Killer Network software just in case.


After that I have received the support reply and done all the suggested steps. Lets see how all goes.

I think that its ok to post it here because its kind of generic...

"Please refer to the steps below for trouble shooting and we can check if the problem is related to the driver.
1. Perform Windows Updates untill there is no updates available.
2. Do the EC reset.
EC reset steps
a). Power off the notebook.
b). Remove the AC adapter.
c). Insert the straighten paper clip to the EC/battery reset hole located at the back side of the notebook and hold for 15 seconds
d). Wait for 10 to 15 minutes.
e). Connect the AC adapter.
f). Power on the system.

3. Follow the FAQ to uninstall all the Intel wifi driver/software from Programs and Features
https://www.msi.com/faq/notebook-2144
4. Reboot your system.
?5. Download and reinstall the wifi driver from Intel website..
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/81534/Wireless-Software
6. If the Intel generic wifi driver cannot solve your problem, kindly repeat step 3 to reinstall wifi driver from MSI download webpage fo your notebook.
https://www.msi.com/Laptop/support/GE62-6QD-Apache-Pro.html#down-driver&Win10 64

Best Regards,
MSI Notebook Technical Application Department"
Hi
So how did you go with it?
I just encountered the problem again while playing an online game :'(
 

nmaia

New member
CORPORAL
Joined
Apr 15, 2016
Messages
11
master_murray date=1463678443 said:
Hi
So how did you go with it?
I just encountered the problem again while playing an online game :'(
Hi,

I have been running my laptop with no issues for the past days.

- Uninstalled the KB9X Radio Switch Driver from the Apps and Features;
- Uninstalled the Radio Switch Device in the "Device Manager" -> "Human Interface Devices";
- Uninstalled the Intel WIFI Adapter in the "Device Manager" -> "Network Adapters";
- Reboot
- Deactivated the Radio Switch Device again because Windows installed it by himself, don't know if it was on the first reboot...
The WIFI Adapter got installed once again by Windows with generic drivers and I left it like that.
- Reboot.

By then I got it stable with no issues but without the FN+F10 shortcut.
I could live with that with no problem.

Then MSI support asked me to try to install again the ENE Radio Switch Driver, so...

-Installed the Radio Switch Device with the Drivers from MSI.
-Reboot

All ok. :-)

After some hours I installed the latest Intel drivers for the WIFI Adapter and it's been running perfectly.

:-)

There was some kind of problem with the Radio Switch Software.

Good luck and let us know how it went for you!
 

master_murray

New member
SERGEANT
Joined
Mar 7, 2016
Messages
46
nmaia date=1463731314 said:
Hi,

I have been running my laptop with no issues for the past days.

- Uninstalled the KB9X Radio Switch Driver from the Apps and Features;
- Uninstalled the Radio Switch Device in the "Device Manager" -> "Human Interface Devices";
- Uninstalled the Intel WIFI Adapter in the "Device Manager" -> "Network Adapters";
- Reboot
- Deactivated the Radio Switch Device again because Windows installed it by himself, don't know if it was on the first reboot...
The WIFI Adapter got installed once again by Windows with generic drivers and I left it like that.
- Reboot.

By then I got it stable with no issues but without the FN+F10 shortcut.
I could live with that with no problem.

Then MSI support asked me to try to install again the ENE Radio Switch Driver, so...

-Installed the Radio Switch Device with the Drivers from MSI.
-Reboot

All ok. :-)

After some hours I installed the latest Intel drivers for the WIFI Adapter and it's been running perfectly.

:-)

There was some kind of problem with the Radio Switch Software.

Good luck and let us know how it went for you!
Hey thanks for sharing :)
But I've actually looked everywhere from device manager to program features but it seems like mine doesn't use the intel wireless adapter but rather the killer wireless adapter :/ But I guess I can try your method but do it for the killer instead of intel and see how I'll go. Fingers crossed.
I've also sent a ticket to msi support as well. I'll see what they say as well.
 

nmaia

New member
CORPORAL
Joined
Apr 15, 2016
Messages
11
master_murray date=1463735091 said:
Hey thanks for sharing :)
But I've actually looked everywhere from device manager to program features but it seems like mine doesn't use the intel wireless adapter but rather the killer wireless adapter :/ But I guess I can try your method but do it for the killer instead of intel and see how I'll go. Fingers crossed.
I've also sent a ticket to msi support as well. I'll see what they say as well.
But for me the problem was not the WIFI!

It's the Driver that handles the Radio Switch. It's purpose is to add a shortcut to Airplane Mode.

Just try to Disable the Radio Switch Device in the Device Manager -> Human Interface Devices

Then try to play the game and see if the problem went away.


The only thing you will loose by disabling the Radio Switch is the FN+F10 shortcut, You can still enable or disable Airplane Mode with the Windows icon.

Good luck,
Keep us posted!
 

master_murray

New member
SERGEANT
Joined
Mar 7, 2016
Messages
46
nmaia date=1463737521 said:
But for me the problem was not the WIFI!

It's the Driver that handles the Radio Switch. It's purpose is to add a shortcut to Airplane Mode.

Just try to Disable the Radio Switch Device in the Device Manager -> Human Interface Devices

Then try to play the game and see if the problem went away.


The only thing you will loose by disabling the Radio Switch is the FN+F10 shortcut, You can still enable or disable Airplane Mode with the Windows icon.

Good luck,
Keep us posted!
Sure will :)
But it's not only happening in the game but rather what ever i do :(
But yeah I'll try to disable it.
 

master_murray

New member
SERGEANT
Joined
Mar 7, 2016
Messages
46
Yep it's actually the radio switch driver that causes the problem. After the lengthy process of uninstalling it with the network adapters and reinstalling everything there has been no problems till this day ^.^
 
Top