AMD AM4 Ryzen Overclocking Guide (X370 and B350)

darkhawk

Active member
Global Moderator
Joined
Nov 20, 2012
Messages
12,823
mmosrc date=1506588463 said:
Oh i almost forgot a question. I can't find any offset changing at the Voltages, i can just put fixed voltages, is it normal ' Thanks.
MSI hasn't implemented any 'offset' or 'adaptive' voltage settings for the AM4 series.

If you want a mode similar to that, your best option is to leave it set to AUTO.
Otherwise, set a static voltage and that's it.
 

kaarelvirroja

New member
PRIVATE E-2
Joined
Oct 3, 2017
Messages
1
Did MSI change something with latest BIOS updates?
Default MB boost gives only 3.6 Ghz but previously it was 3.8.
 

gu.munoz

New member
SERGEANT
Joined
Aug 11, 2017
Messages
22
Hey Guys,

I think my CPU is a very bad overclocker, I set the CPU voltage as 1.38v as in this post and I try the multipler 38 - to of course get 3800 mhz - when I hit F10 and save - I get a instant lock up and the system does not boot up - so I have to clear the CMOS - anyone got a similar case? my CPU in general runs around 3.6-3.7 and XFR at 3.9 sometimes, In other thread a saw a guy with the same mobo facing the same problem - whenever he set the multipler to anything else than auto - he has the same behavior

Regards,
Gustavo Mu?oz
 

gu.munoz

New member
SERGEANT
Joined
Aug 11, 2017
Messages
22
Hello Guys,

Note sure how to edit my last message - I could get it stable the 1500X@3.9 vCore: 1.3875v and RAM @2933 (v1.36) @16-18-18-18 - it not stable @ 3200 and 3.9 so it leads to the black screen after saving in BIOS :)
 - the best CINEBENCH score was 839 - with default (3.5 and 3200) it was 739 - so I prefer this configuration than stock.

Regards,
Gustavo Mu?oz
 

haunter528

New member
PRIVATE E-2
Joined
Oct 28, 2017
Messages
3
It's my first time OC any PC. I have the x370 Gaming Pro Carbon and a Ryzen 1800x. I have try using Command Center from MSI and a little after I applied the changes to reach 4.0 GHz the screen goes black, mouse and keyboard stop responding and I have to hit the power button and turn on again, when I get back to windows I am back at 3.6 Ghz. Also I have try the application from AMD. I have up on both applications and try the BIOS option, I set the speed to 3.8Ghz and volt to 1.3 or 1.4 and reboot and nothing, I am not able to get into the BIOS, I see the LED from the motherboard but nothing. I have to remove the power cable and BIOS battery to start the PC again, I have try speeds of 3.8 and 4.0 with voltage of 1.3 and 1.4. Any help or recommendations would be highly appreciated.
Drivers are up to date. Any additional information that you need to know, ask me.

Thanks!
 

darkhawk

Active member
Global Moderator
Joined
Nov 20, 2012
Messages
12,823
haunter528 date=1510262729 said:
It's my first time OC any PC. I have the x370 Gaming Pro Carbon and a Ryzen 1800x. I have try using Command Center from MSI and a little after I applied the changes to reach 4.0 GHz the screen goes black, mouse and keyboard stop responding and I have to hit the power button and turn on again, when I get back to windows I am back at 3.6 Ghz. Also I have try the application from AMD. I have up on both applications and try the BIOS option, I set the speed to 3.8Ghz and volt to 1.3 or 1.4 and reboot and nothing, I am not able to get into the BIOS, I see the LED from the motherboard but nothing. I have to remove the power cable and BIOS battery to start the PC again, I have try speeds of 3.8 and 4.0 with voltage of 1.3 and 1.4. Any help or recommendations would be highly appreciated.
Drivers are up to date. Any additional information that you need to know, ask me.

Thanks!
Not every CPU is going to do great overclocking. Some do well, some don't. You might have gotten a CPU that can't overclock well.
 

cadientebenson

New member
PRIVATE E-2
Joined
Nov 10, 2017
Messages
2
Thank you for this detailed OC guide.. Ill overclock my R5 1600 as soon as i get my liquid cooling. This may be stupid question but just wanna ask if the CPU will run at the max speed all the time when you OC it? Kinda worried about power consumption if it does. or is there a setting that can make it run at lower clocks when not using it and it will just boost to max OC speed when needed?
 

nesty1990

New member
SERGEANT
Joined
Mar 6, 2017
Messages
28
cadientebenson date=1510279629 said:
Thank you for this detailed OC guide.. Ill overclock my R5 1600 as soon as i get my liquid cooling. This may be stupid question but just wanna ask if the CPU will run at the max speed all the time when you OC it? Kinda worried about power consumption if it does. or is there a setting that can make it run at lower clocks when not using it and it will just boost to max OC speed when needed?
it is CnQ (Cool?n?Quiet) ... but here is the catch, since MSI motherboards do not have offset/adaptive mode, CnQ will be disabled if you change your vCore to any other value than auto...
On the other hand, core C6 state will still be enabled so idle power consumption wont be much higher, it is only 3-6W more than default settings on my system...

i personally OC?ed memory through the bios and CPU through the Ryzen Master to keep CnQ running to avoid temp spikes (and fan rpm spikes) with help of windows power plans and little utility called Full Throttle Override....
 

cadientebenson

New member
PRIVATE E-2
Joined
Nov 10, 2017
Messages
2
nesty1990 date=1510336129 said:
it is CnQ (Cool?n?Quiet) ... but here is the catch, since MSI motherboards do not have offset/adaptive mode, CnQ will be disabled if you change your vCore to any other value than auto...
On the other hand, core C6 state will still be enabled so idle power consumption wont be much higher, it is only 3-6W more than default settings on my system...

i personally OC?ed memory through the bios and CPU through the Ryzen Master to keep CnQ running to avoid temp spikes (and fan rpm spikes) with help of windows power plans and little utility called Full Throttle Override....
I was browsing on tomshardware and i read that you can just re enable the cool n quiet when your OC is stable? Is this really okay?
 

crazyclicker

New member
PRIVATE E-2
Joined
Nov 12, 2017
Messages
2
Guys, can you please help me with keeping fans on a normal rate after I've set ram to XMP2 profile with 3000mhz frequency on B350 carbon.

As it mentioned in try it! section mb increases fan speed after 2750mhz, but in my case it's really not necessary as CPU temp dont get higher that 33C. And fans get reeeeealy loud.
 

darkhawk

Active member
Global Moderator
Joined
Nov 20, 2012
Messages
12,823
crazyclicker date=1510479663 said:
Guys, can you please help me with keeping fans on a normal rate after I've set ram to XMP2 profile with 3000mhz frequency on B350 carbon.

As it mentioned in try it! section mb increases fan speed after 2750mhz, but in my case it's really not necessary as CPU temp dont get higher that 33C. And fans get reeeeealy loud.
Setup your XMP2 settings. Save. Reboot. Go back into the BIOS, then change the fan settings, save, reboot and that should fix it.

If you follow that procedure the fan settings should stay properly.
 

crazyclicker

New member
PRIVATE E-2
Joined
Nov 12, 2017
Messages
2
darkhawk date=1510513726 said:
Setup your XMP2 settings. Save. Reboot. Go back into the BIOS, then change the fan settings, save, reboot and that should fix it.

If you follow that procedure the fan settings should stay properly.
Thanks! It did the trick, but settings being auto changed each time I visit OC tab, so I guess fan settings should be the last to configure.

Also a question about memory: XMP2 profile states 3000mhz with 15 CAS but in fact sets 2933 and 16. Should I stay on profile and alter voltages or should I manually set frequency and latency? 
Btw it's only me who dont have 3000mhz option in manual setup but only 3066? =)
 

carlo.muzzolon

New member
PRIVATE E-2
Joined
Dec 11, 2017
Messages
2
Today I read around the web many guides, posts, messages of any kind, saying that leaving VCore on "Auto" results in a uselessly high voltage (far higher than necessary).
Tonight I made my first attempt: I set 3.7 GHz (I want maximum stability), and VCore on "Auto". Well, voltage and frequence scaling work flawlessly, and maximum voltage reached is 1,272, that seems perfect to me.

Did MSI change anything with one of the last bios? At the moment, I wouldn't see any benefit in setting a fixed voltage.
 

enrico.g86

New member
PRIVATE E-2
Joined
Dec 29, 2017
Messages
3
Good morning everyone.
I recently built a 1700x pc with a Msi Gaming Pro Carbon Mobo.
I would like to know why, if I set the XMP to Profile 2, on top of the screen the speed remains at 2133 mhz, when instead in grey is written 3200 mhz (which is correct, as I have Ripjaws 3200 mhz). In the link you can see the image.
Thanks in advance
 

magxedin46

New member
PRIVATE E-2
Joined
Jan 14, 2018
Messages
1
Hello guys!
Is it ok to ask a question in this topic or should everyone start a separate topic?
Ihave b350 msi tomahawk + ryzen 1700 + corsair vengence ddr4 2*8 3200
By default it shows both in bios and windows 2133mhz. I tryed setting XMP profile @3200, it results in one boot with 3200 freq, and afterwards it shows both in Bios and in widonws 2133, though still showing as if XMP isactive in bios.
Next  i tried setting another XMP (its 3066 for me), and it works and doesnt drop back to 2133, but now PC starts from 2-4 times (like i push start button it coolers start working then aftert 5 seconds everything goes silent and then starts again).
1) why starting from several attempts happens? How to fix it?
2) why only 3066 works and 3200 doesnt even try?
3) Should i try instead of XMP "try it" mode?

Hope you can help, and this topic is still being read by someone who knows whats up, thank you
 

stefan.sax

New member
PRIVATE E-2
Joined
Feb 11, 2018
Messages
3
I flashed the new bios for my mainboard MSI B350 PC Mate. Why I can't put the CPU voltage below 1.3V? Why is this locked in the new bios 7A34vAA??????

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B350-PC-MATE
 

darkhawk

Active member
Global Moderator
Joined
Nov 20, 2012
Messages
12,823
BErgao date=1518341719 said:
I flashed the new bios for my mainboard MSI B350 PC Mate. Why I can't put the CPU voltage below 1.3V? Why is this locked in the new bios 7A34vAA??????

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B350-PC-MATE
That's a limitation MSI has instituted. *WE* (ie the moderation team) doesn't know why they instituted this, but that's the way it is.
If it's a huge problem, contact MSI directly via : >>How to contact MSI.<<
 

pablocol

New member
SERGEANT
Joined
Jul 10, 2012
Messages
24
Hello guys, i want to make a small comment about the new BIOS UPDATE 7A34v1C.
With the 7A34v19 Bios update i was able to reach 4.0 ghz stable at 1.362v, rock solid, With the new bios update my cpu can not handle 3.9 stable at 1.38. This is not a good stuff because with time, the MSI tomahawk was furbishing incompatibilities that came up with the Ryzen platform. But one year later MSI had an regression with memory compatibility.

Recommendation, ir u are not using an APU, do not Update Bios until they fix this.

TY for reading.
 
You must log in or register to reply.
Top