Any further B350 / X370 BIOS updates?

hmks

New member
PRIVATE E-2
Joined
Sep 23, 2019
Messages
4
Are there any more BIOS updates coming for the B350 and X370 series motherboards?
The only one available for those with Ryzen 3000-series processor support seems to still be the July beta one. It's nice that they have the support, but it'd be good to have newer AGESA updates available with the fixed boost behavior and such.

I'm asking this because my X370 gaming pro carbon is running its R5 3600 almost constantly near max clock speeds on all cores, which I suppose is an early stage BIOS thing. While it works, it runs hotter than what would be sensible when idle.
 

Chike

New member
GENERAL
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
7,186
You are asking because you don't know like any other user on this forum.
But you can guess if your board has a beta bios it will have a release update, or a newer version.
 

montyac

New member
MAJOR
Joined
Jul 4, 2019
Messages
834
Jepu date=1569251015 said:
Are there any more BIOS updates coming for the B350 and X370 series motherboards?
The only one available for those with Ryzen 3000-series processor support seems to still be the July beta one. It's nice that they have the support, but it'd be good to have newer AGESA updates available with the fixed boost behavior and such.

I'm asking this because my X370 gaming pro carbon is running its R5 3600 almost constantly near max clock speeds on all cores, which I suppose is an early stage BIOS thing. While it works, it runs hotter than what would be sensible when idle.
Try enabling Cool N' Quiet to reduce the idle voltage. This works for my B450 board. Change BIOS setting for Cool N' Quiet from AUTO to ENABLE.
 

hmks

New member
PRIVATE E-2
Joined
Sep 23, 2019
Messages
4
montyac date=1569251804 said:
Try enabling Cool N' Quiet to reduce the idle voltage. This works for my B450 board. Change BIOS setting for Cool N' Quiet from AUTO to ENABLE.
Already tried that, didn't see any perceptible change in CPU frequency behavior. Idle clocks are typically around 4100-4150 on all cores with an occasional, under 1 second dip to around 3200 for a few cores.
 

montyac

New member
MAJOR
Joined
Jul 4, 2019
Messages
834
You can also try changing the power setting in Windows. Try balanced or power saver mode.
 

Chike

New member
GENERAL
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
7,186
What is the load on the cpu when all cores are high?
 

hmks

New member
PRIVATE E-2
Joined
Sep 23, 2019
Messages
4
Chike date=1569253891 said:
What is the load on the cpu when all cores are high?
Hwinfo64 says that right now it's hovering mostly around 10-20% all core load, 30-40W core power usage. Lowest I've seen it at within a brief while has been around 3% and 23W.

montyac date=1569253149 said:
You can also try changing the power setting in Windows. Try balanced or power saver mode.
Thanks, that helped a bit at least. Cores are still mostly on high freqs, but temperatures seemed to go about 5?C lower on average.
 

montyac

New member
MAJOR
Joined
Jul 4, 2019
Messages
834
Glad it helped somewhat. Hopefully a new BIOS will fix this issue.
 

Chike

New member
GENERAL
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
7,186
10-20 is not idle, try to find in task manager which process(es) are on top.
Change refresh rate to low if they changing too quickly.
 

hmks

New member
PRIVATE E-2
Joined
Sep 23, 2019
Messages
4
Chike date=1569255495 said:
10-20 is not idle, try to find in task manager which process(es) are on top.
Change refresh rate to low if they changing too quickly.
The ones on top are/were mostly basic Windows processes such as runtimebroker.exe. To be fair I was doing other stuff while making the message, so the computer wasn't fully idle.
 

Chike

New member
GENERAL
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
7,186
What is the normal power consumption for idle ryzen cpu?
 
You must log in or register to reply.
Top