BETA BIOS Release for Ryzen 3000 Series Processors

Nichrome

Well-known member
Global Moderator
Joined
Nov 7, 2013
Messages
19,056
I've been made aware that MSI engineers are working on improving BIOSes in the upcoming days.
Also due to fault at source (AMD's AGESA), it is not always possible to get things right if the main source is screwed up.
 

jfgilmore

New member
SERGEANT
Joined
Jun 22, 2019
Messages
21
jfgilmore date=1563932301 said:
Under BIOS v2.9o, for whatever reason, the CPU refuses to post when there's 2 sticks of memory installed.  It gives CPU Debug LED warning and just sits there w/ power on but never POSTs.

I assume if the CPU was fine w/ 2 sticks in v2.9M (at least to POST with), its a BIOS problem and not a borked CPU memory controller

Assuming MSI is to blame here seems a safe bet.
Update:  i did a little poking around, and it was suggested the "only POSTing with one stick of RAM" problem was caused by bad CPU seating and/or bent pins

I pulled the CPU and indeed, a couple of pins were bent, and the seating was 'sticky'.  I gently ran some paper between pins (didn't really help, but maybe very slightly unbent 1)

Reseated it, and its now a-ok with 2 sticks of RAM.

So, NOT MSI's fault here.  I think the CPU had some bent pins out of the box tbh, or possibly the mobo has a wonky socket.

hoping to never have to do that again
 

unfnknblvbl

New member
SERGEANT
Joined
Jun 30, 2019
Messages
23
jfgilmore date=1564120952 said:
I pulled the CPU and indeed, a couple of pins were bent, and the seating was 'sticky'.  I gently ran some paper between pins (didn't really help, but maybe very slightly unbent 1)
use a razor blade/hobby knife - it's firmer, and because of this, you're more likely to be successful in straightening all the affected pins, since you can use the already straight ones to "lean" the tool against. Just be careful not to slice into the substrate.

I did this when I dropped my R5 1600 and bent a bunch of pins. Worked a treat.
 

dm68

New member
PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
Joined
Jan 4, 2014
Messages
7
About to BIOS update my new B450 Carbon Pro AC the problem is I have two to choose from. The second looks like the most recent but is there a preference I should use?

B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC (BIOS : 7B85v17M CheckSum: E76A)
2. This BIOS fixes the following problem of the previous version:
-  Update AMD ComboPI1.0.0.3
-  Support Ryzen 3000 series CPU.
-  Change BIOS UI to GSE-Lite mode.
3. 2019/6/24

Or

B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC (MS-7B85) V1.7 BIOS Release
2. This BIOS fixes the following problem of the previous version:
-  Update AMD ComboPI1.0.0.3ab
-  Fix RAID issue.
-  Support Ryzen 3000 series CPU.
Ryzen 9 3900X/Ryzen 7 3800X/Ryzen 7 3700X/Ryzen 5 3600X/Ryzen 5 3600/Ryzen 5 3400G/Ryzen 3 3200G
-  Change BIOS UI to Click BIOS(GSE-Lite) mode.
3. 2019/7/10
 

habernir

New member
PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
Joined
Jul 25, 2019
Messages
6
Nichrome is there any time estimation when MSI will release the stable bios?
 

Nichrome

Well-known member
Global Moderator
Joined
Nov 7, 2013
Messages
19,056
habernir date=1564333663 said:
Nichrome is there any time estimation when MSI will release the stable bios?
No.
For a stable BIOS to be released to the public (and to be used as Mass Production version) it takes a while, including documentation and testing.
BETA BIOS are being provided "as it is", being in the "usable" form without any warranty it'll work.
 

darkhawk

Well-known member
Global Moderator
Joined
Nov 20, 2012
Messages
12,988
habernir date=1564333663 said:
Nichrome is there any time estimation when MSI will release the stable bios?
MSI doesn't share timelines, even with us.
We know exactly as much as you do about 'when' they will release any given BIOS. 

Rarely are we given any time frames on when any BIOS's will be released. 

At this point, given AMD's inability to provide good AGESA code half the time, I wouldn't hold your breath on a new BIOS. If AMD is having issues....we can only imagine what the OEM's are going through to get working BIOS's.
 

habernir

New member
PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
Joined
Jul 25, 2019
Messages
6
thanks for the info.

i just saw that MSI remove the beta bios for the ""X370 XPOWER GAMING TITANIUM"" and i guess its for all who have this beta BIOSes

i wounder why, maybe they found a serious bug.
 

unfnknblvbl

New member
SERGEANT
Joined
Jun 30, 2019
Messages
23
habernir date=1564391296 said:
thanks for the info.

i just saw that MSI remove the beta bios for the ""X370 XPOWER GAMING TITANIUM"" and i guess its for all who have this beta BIOSes

i wounder why, maybe they found a serious bug.
They've also removed the official BIOS for the X470 Gaming Pro Carbon. I mean, I know it's a bit buggy, but to remove the ability for people to upgrade to Ryzen 3000 at all? Not cool.
 

smog@itgalaxy.net

New member
SERGEANT
Joined
Apr 3, 2019
Messages
25
MSI just silently has removed the last BETA BIOS without any word..... outrageous!!
The main problem is even not issues with BIOSes, the main problem is lack of communication between MSI and customers..... the worst of the worst support.....
 

dm68

New member
PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
Joined
Jan 4, 2014
Messages
7
dm68 date=1564226167 said:
About to BIOS update my new B450 Carbon Pro AC the problem is I have two to choose from. The second looks like the most recent but is there a preference I should use?

B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC (BIOS : 7B85v17M CheckSum: E76A)
2. This BIOS fixes the following problem of the previous version:
-  Update AMD ComboPI1.0.0.3
-  Support Ryzen 3000 series CPU.
-  Change BIOS UI to GSE-Lite mode.
3. 2019/6/24

Or

B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC (MS-7B85) V1.7 BIOS Release
2. This BIOS fixes the following problem of the previous version:
-  Update AMD ComboPI1.0.0.3ab
-  Fix RAID issue.
-  Support Ryzen 3000 series CPU.
Ryzen 9 3900X/Ryzen 7 3800X/Ryzen 7 3700X/Ryzen 5 3600X/Ryzen 5 3600/Ryzen 5 3400G/Ryzen 3 3200G
-  Change BIOS UI to Click BIOS(GSE-Lite) mode.
3. 2019/7/10
Got my b450 carbon pro to boot after first trying the latest beta (2019/7/10 agesa combo 1.0.0.3ab) twice (doing cmos clear before and after each time) with no luck. Red cpu led always came on. I was about to give up for the night and decided to give the previous beta (2019/6/24 agesa combo 1.0.0.3) and it worked first time.

*Formatting the usb drive with rufus was the only way the flashback would recognise the update.
 

mongoled

Member
SERGEANT
Joined
Sep 12, 2017
Messages
38
Ugh,

Are they doing their best to freak us out ??

Im currently running on the beta bios that was pulled (X370 Titanium).

Im really hoping that they are in the process of uploading either a non-beta BIOS or a new beta BIOS and not that the beta BIOS they uploaded is killling hardware.

:/

Currently running prime95 v29.8 build 5, Large FFTs @ 3800/1900 16-15-15-15-35-89-666-1T at 1.45v, all other settings at default.

Under my custom loop the CPU is pegged at 4200mhz all core overclock.

AIDA64 memory latency is at 64ns

Both DDR sticks (b-die) DIMM temperatures peaking at 47-48C
 

habernir

New member
PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
Joined
Jul 25, 2019
Messages
6
mongoled date=1564410707 said:
Ugh,

Are they doing their best to freak us out ??

Im currently running on the beta bios that was pulled (X370 Titanium).

Im really hoping that they are in the process of uploading either a non-beta BIOS or a new beta BIOS and not that the beta BIOS they uploaded is killling hardware.

:/

Currently running prime95 v29.8 build 5, Large FFTs @ 3800/1900 16-15-15-15-35-89-666-1T at 1.45v, all other settings at default.

Under my custom loop the CPU is pegged at 4200mhz all core overclock.

AIDA64 memory latency is at 64ns

Both DDR sticks (b-die) DIMM temperatures peaking at 47-48C
i have the same board like you and 3900x but 
i want to ask you if you have any problems after you update to the beta? (i have the beta bios but i didn't do the update because i'm waiting to the stable one).



 
 

mongoled

Member
SERGEANT
Joined
Sep 12, 2017
Messages
38
habernir date=1564413003 said:
i have the same board like you and 3900x but
i want to ask you if you have any problems after you update to the beta? (i have the beta bios but i didn't do the update because i'm waiting to the stable one).
Hi!

read here

https://www.overclock.net/forum/11-amd-motherboards/1624134-official-msi-x370-xpower-gaming-titanium-am4-owners-club-111.html#post28062448

Last post
 

jfgilmore

New member
SERGEANT
Joined
Jun 22, 2019
Messages
21
unfnknblvbl date=1564396239 said:
They've also removed the official BIOS for the X470 Gaming Pro Carbon. I mean, I know it's a bit buggy, but to remove the ability for people to upgrade to Ryzen 3000 at all? Not cool.
If you followed the Beta Bios link at the top of the page, they had replaced v.2.9m with v2.9o the same day they pretended 2.9o was "official release" 

(iow, it was the same bios being made available as "beta" as well as "official" at the same time; this was the case for all of last week, basically)

So you can still get v2.9o now, just only w/ the caveat 'its a beta'

Its working OK for me, fwiw; some minor oddness here and there (boost clocks are a little lower than advertised, ryzen master is mostly Nerfed, some instability w/ monitoring/diagnostics apps causing blue screens, etc) but otherwise usable.
 

unfnknblvbl

New member
SERGEANT
Joined
Jun 30, 2019
Messages
23
jfgilmore date=1564414812 said:
If you followed the Beta Bios link at the top of the page, they had replaced v.2.9m with v2.9o the same day they pretended 2.9o was "official release"

(iow, it was the same bios being made available as "beta" as well as "official" at the same time; this was the case for all of last week, basically)

So you can still get v2.9o now, just only w/ the caveat 'its a beta'

Its working OK for me, fwiw; some minor oddness here and there (boost clocks are a little lower than advertised, ryzen master is mostly Nerfed, some instability w/ monitoring/diagnostics apps causing blue screens, etc) but otherwise usable.

That's not correct. The 29M (beta) and 29 (official) BIOSes for the X470 Gaming Pro Carbon were quite different, but for reasons known only to MSI, the archives had the same file name.  But it doesn't matter, because on the official support page, the download link has been removed. The download link on the blog post at the top of this thread now just points to the official support page. Which doesn't have a BIOS newer than March 2019.

I mean, it shouldn't bother me since I already got the update... but I just bought one of these boards to upgrade a bandmate's PC with. It's a good thing I'm the one doing this, since I already have the file. What would anyone else do?
 

jfgilmore

New member
SERGEANT
Joined
Jun 22, 2019
Messages
21
unfnknblvbl date=1564483022 said:
 The download link on the blog post at the top of this thread now just points to the official support page.
At the time I wrote the above post, the beta bios download link on the blog post linked to the file named "7B78v29" which had the v.2.9o BIOS (previously 'official')

You're right, they've since changed that and now it just links to the support page, but for a while it was still available.
 

unfnknblvbl

New member
SERGEANT
Joined
Jun 30, 2019
Messages
23
what  Idon't get is why the've pulled it for some boards, but not others... and as far as I can tell, there's zero communication about it. Tell us what's going on, people!
 

jfgilmore

New member
SERGEANT
Joined
Jun 22, 2019
Messages
21
unfnknblvbl date=1564575673 said:
what  Idon't get is why the've pulled it for some boards, but not others... and as far as I can tell, there's zero communication about it. Tell us what's going on, people!

Yeah, even if you give them benefit of the doubt over things like AMD's AGESA being hinky, or that problems like i had (only booting w/ 1 stick of RAM) are often user-error, and that half the complaints about BIOS problems are just teething-issues with new tech...

...this thing where their Beta BIOS link just sends you in an endless loop back to the 'official support' page? is just outright incompetence and bad customer support.

If there's no Ryzen 3000-compatible beta currently being distributed for the X470 GPC, they shouldn't have a link pretending there is.  It just makes things worse.
 
Top