BETA BIOS Release for Ryzen 3000 Series Processors

darkhawk

Active member
Global Moderator
Joined
Nov 20, 2012
Messages
12,821
pmendelski date=1579787905 said:
Hi Guys, I have B450I GAMING AC with RYZEN 3600 and new Lite Bios. I need to change the default output from Discrete GPU to Integrated GPU where do I find this option ?
You don't. The Ryzen 3600 doesn't have an integrated GPU to use. You need a discrete GPU to use it.
 

e_antoniadis

New member
PRIVATE E-2
Joined
Mar 21, 2020
Messages
1
Guys I need some help please.

First of all I'd like to say that it is going to be my first time building a PC on my own from scratch so you can understand that I'm quite a newbie.

So I want to install an a Ryzen 5 3600 on MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC. As you already know the motherboard needs it's BIOS updated for the new gen Ryzens.

What I was initially planning to do is to install all components normally inside the case (Mobo, RAM, CPU, GPU etc) and while everything is connected then perform the BIOS update using a usb flash drive (M-FLASH). Would that work? Will it recognice the CPU afterwards or do I have to update the BIOS without any of the other components and only then install them on an already updated motherboard?

If this question is dumb then excuse me in advance.
 

darkhawk

Active member
Global Moderator
Joined
Nov 20, 2012
Messages
12,821
Vercis date=1584792491 said:
Guys I need some help please.

First of all I'd like to say that it is going to be my first time building a PC on my own from scratch so you can understand that I'm quite a newbie.

So I want to install an a Ryzen 5 3600 on MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC. As you already know the motherboard needs it's BIOS updated for the new gen Ryzens.

What I was initially planning to do is to install all components normally inside the case (Mobo, RAM, CPU, GPU etc) and while everything is connected then perform the BIOS update using a usb flash drive (M-FLASH). Would that work? Will it recognice the CPU afterwards or do I have to update the BIOS without any of the other components and only then install them on an already updated motherboard?

If this question is dumb then excuse me in advance.
Yeah, it'll work without a CPU. This motherboard supports BIOS flashback.
 

matias.locatti

New member
PRIVATE E-2
Joined
Mar 23, 2020
Messages
2
Hi, I'm having problems with these beta BIOS on my B350M PRO-VDH and a 3400G, currently I'm on version A.JQ, I'll list them:

You can't go higher than XMP on memory frequency. This same Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200MHz Samsung B-die kit could do 3466MHz on my previous R3 1200 on this same board.
Most values on timings revert back to a 2133MHz 15-15-15 setting after saving and rebooting.
Trying to set up the memory via the AMD overclocking menu is not possible as the timings have to be written in hexadecimal, and the bios only allows decimal.
PBO doesn't change anything. AutoOC is the same, with the exception of GPU clocks, that can go to +100, anything higher than +100 is ignored.
If you try to set up a GPU clock manually, CPU voltage gets fixed to 1.5v.
GPU doesn't clock well with some combinations of settings, the workaround I've found is to set up everything except XMP first, save, reboot, set XMP on, and then it works, this removes any possibility of tewaking anything past that.
 

darkhawk

Active member
Global Moderator
Joined
Nov 20, 2012
Messages
12,821
matias.locatti date=1585000423 said:
Hi, I'm having problems with these beta BIOS on my B350M PRO-VDH and a 3400G, currently I'm on version A.JQ, I'll list them:

You can't go higher than XMP on memory frequency. This same Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200MHz Samsung B-die kit could do 3466MHz on my previous R3 1200 on this same board.
Most values on timings revert back to a 2133MHz 15-15-15 setting after saving and rebooting.
Trying to set up the memory via the AMD overclocking menu is not possible as the timings have to be written in hexadecimal, and the bios only allows decimal.
PBO doesn't change anything. AutoOC is the same, with the exception of GPU clocks, that can go to +100, anything higher than +100 is ignored.
If you try to set up a GPU clock manually, CPU voltage gets fixed to 1.5v.
GPU doesn't clock well with some combinations of settings, the workaround I've found is to set up everything except XMP first, save, reboot, set XMP on, and then it works, this removes any possibility of tewaking anything past that.
1. Overclocking isn't guaranteed. Anything over stock (for 3rd gen ryzen, I think stock is 2666) is overclocking. On top of that, you're overclocking over the manufacturer's specified speeds, so....nothing to be done.

Other than that, you're dealing with a 3rd (actually, 6th) generation CPU in a 1st generation board. And then trying to overclock every single component on top of that......
Talk to MSI directly. That's going to be the quickest way to get an answer regarding the BIOS issues. See : >>How to contact MSI.<<
 

darkhawk

Active member
Global Moderator
Joined
Nov 20, 2012
Messages
12,821
matias.locatti date=1585039828 said:
Thanks, I'll try that.
Stupid 16MB BIOS chips, how much money could they save with that.
Back when those boards were made, they weren't expecting to need it honestly. Times change, and unfortunately, with AMD's decision to make boards support many multiple generations of chips.....it was a bad decision on their part. 
Then add the fact that they changed pin-out's on the socket, and other errata that most users aren't aware of naturally.....it just becomes a HUGE [***CENSORED***]-show. 
AMD's hardware is great inside the chip. After that, everything just goes downhill drastically. Maintaining backwards compatibility is great in theory, as long as things remain the same. They didn't. Add in poor AGESA/BIOS code, and here we are.
 

menorton

New member
PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
Joined
Apr 14, 2020
Messages
9
So its now April 2020. Any improvements with this? I see 8 pages of complaints, presumingly all valid, but it was several months ago.  I have an HTPC/light gaming computer, which option is better at this point? I have excellent cooling, and this will not be overclocked.

Current Rig:
-Stable bios
-A320M Gaming Pro
-Ryzen 2200g (cooled via Noctua NH-U12S)
-Amd Radeon 480x

Option 1:
-Keep stable Bios
-Install only Ryzen 2600 (65w)

Option 2:
-Flash to basic Beta bios E7A39AMS.1KM
-Install Ryzen 3600 (65w)

Option 3:
-Wait for stable bios?
-Wait for maybe 4th gen compatibility?

thanks all
 

darkhawk

Active member
Global Moderator
Joined
Nov 20, 2012
Messages
12,821
menorton date=1586876885 said:
So its now April 2020. Any improvements with this? I see 8 pages of complaints, presumingly all valid, but it was several months ago.  I have an HTPC/light gaming computer, which option is better at this point? I have excellent cooling, and this will not be overclocked.

Current Rig:
-Stable bios
-A320M Gaming Pro
-Ryzen 2200g (cooled via Noctua NH-U12S)
-Amd Radeon 480x

Option 1:
-Keep stable Bios
-Install only Ryzen 2600 (65w)

Option 2:
-Flash to basic Beta bios E7A39AMS.1KM
-Install Ryzen 3600 (65w)

Option 3:
-Wait for stable bios?
-Wait for maybe 4th gen compatibility?

thanks all
You want what I think?
Don't bother using anything past a 2nd gen with your setup. This thread should be more than enough reason to convince you of it.

Option 2 and 3 aren't worthwhile. You'll just get tired of waiting for things to get fixed (AMD most likely won't).
If it was me, and I were thinking of 4th gen, I'd be thinking of a 600 series chipset for it. Or at a minimum, a 500 series chipset based board.

That's just my opinion.....but there should be enough reasons in this thread to support it.
 

anthiari

New member
PRIVATE E-2
Joined
Jun 11, 2020
Messages
2
I have a recently last 2 weeks purchased msi b450-a pro max and ryzen 3600x i connected everything and turn on pc and the display does not turn on.
the vga led stays turned on, put no screen.

I found on the Internet to remove bios battery then try again.
I found that bios should be updated using usb and press flash bios button.
I tried everything mentioned above but still nothing.

Please let me know what to do?
 

darko.vojinovic

New member
PRIVATE E-2
Joined
Oct 22, 2019
Messages
5
Hello All
I upgraded to a new bios 1.96 for msi meg 570X ACE ( CPU R9 3950X) .
Strange enough the older BETA bios 1.92 - AMD AGESA  ComboAm4PI 1.0.0.5. and the NEW -1.96Updated AMD AGESA ComboAm4v2PI 1.0.0.2 ?????????? HOW in name of god is that an UPDATE ??????
More so The new 1.96 bios completely destroyed my 3xRaid 0 configuration ( 3 x WD Blue 500 SSD) I was battling for 2 hrs to get the Raid 0 configuration back with 1.96 bios
Worse of all there is a HUUUUUGEEEEE delay while booting/posting nothing similar to any BIOS before I mean it literally stands frozen on the MEG logo for what I could estimate 1.30 min the whole boot sequence from cold start to windows LOGIN screen goes around 1.45-2min ..:censored: is that all about ???
Windows are on M.2 Gen4 Firecuda 520 so don't tell me your drive is slow as it definitely wasn't with 1.92 bios .
For all meg ACE users beware of the new 1.96 BIOS .
I also reported the issue to msi Tech support awaiting explanation

Again the mystery of AMD AGESA ComboAm4PI 1.0.0.5.5 vs AGESA ComboAm4v2PI 1.0.0.2 on NEW BIOD 1.96 how , why ????no explanation in description
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/MEG-X570-ACE
 

darkhawk

Active member
Global Moderator
Joined
Nov 20, 2012
Messages
12,821
darko.vojinovic date=1592997413 said:
Hello All
I upgraded to a new bios 1.96 for msi meg 570X ACE ( CPU R9 3950X) .
Strange enough the older BETA bios 1.92 - AMD AGESA  ComboAm4PI 1.0.0.5. and the NEW -1.96Updated AMD AGESA ComboAm4v2PI 1.0.0.2 ?????????? HOW in name of god is that an UPDATE ??????
More so The new 1.96 bios completely destroyed my 3xRaid 0 configuration ( 3 x WD Blue 500 SSD) I was battling for 2 hrs to get the Raid 0 configuration back with 1.96 bios
Worse of all there is a HUUUUUGEEEEE delay while booting/posting nothing similar to any BIOS before I mean it literally stands frozen on the MEG logo for what I could estimate 1.30 min the whole boot sequence from cold start to windows LOGIN screen goes around 1.45-2min ..:censored: is that all about ???
Windows are on M.2 Gen4 Firecuda 520 so don't tell me your drive is slow as it definitely wasn't with 1.92 bios .
For all meg ACE users beware of the new 1.96 BIOS .
I also reported the issue to msi Tech support awaiting explanation

Again the mystery of AMD AGESA ComboAm4PI 1.0.0.5.5 vs AGESA ComboAm4v2PI 1.0.0.2 on NEW BIOD 1.96 how , why ????no explanation in description
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/MEG-X570-ACE
You haven't been following how poorly AMD handles its versioning of AGESA, have you? Welcome to how a major company has virtually ZERO clue how to do proper software versioning.....
You don't want to know how many different versions of 1.0.0.4 there are.....because offhand I can count at least 5 right now.

As far as the RAID and everything else, it should be possible to rebuild the array after updating the BIOS without losing any data.

Lastly, why did you update? What was your reason?
If your reason was "Because theres a new version....", welcome to how poorly AMD's BIOS code really is.
My normal speech is, "Don't update unless you're having a problem that a new BIOS is known to fix". Why? Because then you might get into the situations you're in, or many others get into where they update, it breaks something else, they flash back to an older BIOS, and the problem is still there.

(Personally, I don't care for AMD. Their hardware is really damn good, but their software is so poor it actually makes their hardware worse and harder to use than Intels.....which at this point, is about the only good thing for Intel)

1 of the AGESA versions is ComboPi4 1.0.0.5
The other is AGESA ComboPi4v2 1.0.0.2
I don't know much about, or care for, AMD's versioning structure (mainly because it's so poor), but I wouldn't be mad at MSI, I'd get mad at AMD for being so bad at it. It's not like MSI has a choice about it.
 

darko.vojinovic

New member
PRIVATE E-2
Joined
Oct 22, 2019
Messages
5
Thanks darkhawk for the quite informative answer

Im almost 30 year INTEL user this is my first AMD build ever so my apologies for not being informed enough , I did my research and based on that I chose to build my new system with AMD . 
All I can say Im quite satisfied so far and this BIOS issue is the first I encountered .
My first update from 1.80 to 1.92 was smooth and without any issues so I didn't expect any with 1.96 although both labeled BETA .
Of course as always there is a learning curve for everything and this experience now however bad it might be is actually a good thing to learn . No essential data where lost so no damage done , more inconvenience and fiddling around .
I decided to rollback to 1.92 and luckily everything came back normally the PC  booting is now as it was before although far slower them my 5 year old Intel system Z170/I76700K it boots 3 time faster then the 2020 AMD ..however at this rate now it is satisfactorily considering AMD and what you all wrote .
Thanks nevertheless !
 

darkhawk

Active member
Global Moderator
Joined
Nov 20, 2012
Messages
12,821
darko.vojinovic date=1593104169 said:
Thanks darkhawk for the quite informative answer

Im almost 30 year INTEL user this is my first AMD build ever so my apologies for not being informed enough , I did my research and based on that I chose to build my new system with AMD .
All I can say Im quite satisfied so far and this BIOS issue is the first I encountered .
My first update from 1.80 to 1.92 was smooth and without any issues so I didn't expect any with 1.96 although both labeled BETA .
Of course as always there is a learning curve for everything and this experience now however bad it might be is actually a good thing to learn . No essential data where lost so no damage done , more inconvenience and fiddling around .
I decided to rollback to 1.92 and luckily everything came back normally the PC  booting is now as it was before although far slower them my 5 year old Intel system Z170/I76700K it boots 3 time faster then the 2020 AMD ..however at this rate now it is satisfactorily considering AMD and what you all wrote .
Thanks nevertheless !
Yeah. I'm just not a fan of AMD's BIOS nor their video drivers....they're both equally poor. 
Some of their hardware really is great, and Ryzen was a terrific leap forward. But it's like having an electric car, but no place to charge it on a long distance drive. Great hardware, but the software (or charging stations) really hinder the ability to use it to it's fullest.

There's plenty of crap Intel does that is poorly executed (their recent slides on performance and comparing Ryzen 9 to an i7 is laughable....), but I'll say this. For the most part, I can throw together a system, and outside of parts actually being bad, it's very rare to have compatibility problems. AMD on the other hand....it's like every other component can cause that at this point. Sound cards do, NIC's, even some GPU's have caused issues. :/
 

bizketxxx

New member
STAFF SERGEANT
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
55
MSI REALLY need to do a better job with the UI now they have switched to click-BIOS "lite", you can do a MUCH better job with the same amount of space as that horrid UI. I know because I've already designed a new UI and am using it.

 

Nichrome

Active member
Global Moderator
Joined
Nov 7, 2013
Messages
18,813
bizketxxx date=1593438810 said:
MSI REALLY need to do a better job with the UI now they have switched to click-BIOS "lite", you can do a MUCH better job with the same amount of space as that horrid UI. I know because I've already designed a new UI and am using it.
That sounds like you spend most of your time in the BIOS lol
 

darko.vojinovic

New member
PRIVATE E-2
Joined
Oct 22, 2019
Messages
5
darkhawk date=1593113963 said:
Yeah. I'm just not a fan of AMD's BIOS nor their video drivers....they're both equally poor.
Some of their hardware really is great, and Ryzen was a terrific leap forward. But it's like having an electric car, but no place to charge it on a long distance drive. Great hardware, but the software (or charging stations) really hinder the ability to use it to it's fullest.

There's plenty of crap Intel does that is poorly executed (their recent slides on performance and comparing Ryzen 9 to an i7 is laughable....), but I'll say this. For the most part, I can throw together a system, and outside of parts actually being bad, it's very rare to have compatibility problems. AMD on the other hand....it's like every other component can cause that at this point. Sound cards do, NIC's, even some GPU's have caused issues. :/
so after some emailing back and forth with msi tech support this guys are clueless what ever the problem is with the new 1.96 bios and decided to remove it form the download page
"Reply: 2020-06-29 09:46:19


We are sorry, but it is hard to determine what causes the issue, about the boot time, please clear CMOS (How to clear CMOS. Please refer to the manual) for a try, then please recreat the RAID to check again.

About the AGESA version, in BIOS v1.92 is ComboAm4PI 1.0.0.5, in bios v1.96 is ComboAm4v2PI 1.0.0.2, ComboAm4v2PI is the new version. "
 

bizketxxx

New member
STAFF SERGEANT
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
55
Nichrome date=1593456302 said:
That sounds like you spend most of your time in the BIOS lol
As a reviewer / overclocker yes I do end up spending a fair bit of time in the UEFI (yes UEFI, not BIOS, wrong terminology. UEFI = Unified Extensible Firmware Interface, BIOS = Basic Input Output System). I don't need or expect the UEFI UI to look fantastic but there is a certain level of effort that should be put in rather than the sub-standard stock UI and when you can do it using the same amount of ROM space as the stock UI that just shows how little effort / care MSI put in here.
 

darko.vojinovic

New member
PRIVATE E-2
Joined
Oct 22, 2019
Messages
5
bizketxxx date=1593520836 said:
As a reviewer / overclocker yes I do end up spending a fair bit of time in the UEFI (yes UEFI, not BIOS, wrong terminology. UEFI = Unified Extensible Firmware Interface, BIOS = Basic Input Output System). I don't need or expect the UEFI UI to look fantastic but there is a certain level of effort that should be put in rather than the sub-standard stock UI and when you can do it using the same amount of ROM space as the stock UI that just shows how little effort / care MSI put in here.
Cool! so "As reviewer/overclocer" you have any idea why the 1.96 BETA bios for msi meg X570 ACE is taken off the download page and what was actually going on with that bios ???
 
You must log in or register to reply.
Top