Build me an i7 Machine

asmar10

New member
FIRST LIEUTENANT
Joined
Sep 25, 2004
Messages
444
Hi there guys

Oh the excitement! I have ?2000 wanting to spend on a new machine.  I need everything except peripherals (i.e. In need the case and everything inside it)

I am going to purchase the new i7 950, its costing me ~?450.  I can get the extreme for ~?800 but I think that is puting the budget out, what do you think?  board will be an MSI Eclipse SLI for ?250.

i need you guys to build the rest.  I normally use www.ebuyer.co.uk but can use any other UK website e.g. Overclockers etc

Please get back to me soon I am looking to purchase before these new CPUs go out of stock!

Thanks

Asmar
 
Wait until Autumn/Winter before you spend money on a new machine. For the simple reason that Windows 7 is out in Autumn and the new nvidia graphics cards will be soon to follow. Windows 7 uses DX11 and so will the new GFX cards. The GT300 is rumored to be 1 and a half times faster than the current GTX295 champion.
 
RavenMaster said:
Wait until Autumn/Winter before you spend money on a new machine. For the simple reason that Windows 7 is out in Autumn and the new nvidia graphics cards will be soon to follow. Windows 7 uses DX11 and so will the new GFX cards. The GT300 is rumored to be 1 and a half times faster than the current GTX295 champion.

Even if Windows 7 is out then it wont make much difference to my machine will it ... I'll just have to upgrade to the new OS.  Unless I am missing something ?

Re: the graphics card, I am not that much of a keen bugger on the games although the GTX300 sounds nice.

is there really much point in waiting to build because I have already been waiting for months :)

Thanks

Asmar
 
Adding to RavenMaster's suggestion, you could always download the W7 RC & use it until the final release is available. If not in a real hurry, the new Intel 32 'nano' entries, & maybe USB 3.0 will be out in 2010.
 
HU16E said:
Adding to RavenMaster's suggestion, you could always download the W7 RC & use it until the final release is available. If not in a real hurry, the new Intel 32 'nano' entries, & maybe USB 3.0 will be out in 2010.

Arrg I hate it when new technology makes you wait and then makes you wait even more than when you have waited.  I didnt realise USB 3.0 is right around the corner also.  But how quick will MSI release a board with USB 3.0 ports as well as the new 32 nano entries.  And what will the performance difference be in the 32 nano entries in comparison to the current i7 chips ?

HU16E what do you recommend ? Because I suppose I could wait until then and might just buy another processor or something on my exisitng rig.
 
True.  New technology is just around the corner but that is something that always will be just around the corner.  My suggestion is to look at building one now that can handle any needs that you might have for the next couple of years or so.  When it is ready to be replaced, there might be a lot of other new toys available.
 
Grayone said:
True.  New technology is just around the corner but that is something that always will be just around the corner.  My suggestion is to look at building one now that can handle any needs that you might have for the next couple of years or so.  When it is ready to be replaced, there might be a lot of other new toys available.

Ok doke: Change of plan then> Can somebody purchase me something (atleast board + CPU if I can use my existing RAM or otherwise).  I am prepared to spend ?200 to tide me over until then. 

from http://www.ebuyer.co.uk or other UK website

Thanks

Asmar
 
For the temporary upgrade I assume you want to stick with AMD? Quad, X3, X2? If you stick with AMD you can get the MB now and use all of what you now have and give the CPU a little more thought.
 
Henry said:
For the temporary upgrade I assume you want to stick with AMD? Quad, X3, X2? If you stick with AMD you can get the MB now and use all of what you now have and give the CPU a little more thought.

To be honest I have rarely been disappointed by you folks.  Since this topic has gone off i7 topic, I'm going to leave it and open a new thread under 'Anything Under the Sun'.  It is probably more appropriate there since I have decided to wait and not go to Core i7 just yet.

Grayone :- https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=127566.0

Please post your thoughts

Thanks
 
you could always buy evga or bfg within 100 days of the new release of the gtx 300 series and then use their step up program to get the new cards for just the additional cost, subtracting what you paid for your gtx 200 card
 
Back
Top