Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Switching to AMD Dual Core CPU without re-installing Windows  (Read 89145 times)

Snipus_Maximus

« Reply #49 on: 26-February-07, 08:20:17 »

Well another thing that may be considered is that -- especially with Windows Vista being a totally different kernel (NT 6 baby - XP/2K is NT 5.xx) and not using the NTLDR or boot.ini anymore - u will have to modify the boot manager

But that presents another problem ~~

If you have done any hardware changes after an activation of Windows XP or Vista -- Each hardware is worth a certain amount of 'points' -- depending on H/W type it may be worth more or less -- but I would imagine a CPU would be a huge change and the fact that u are 'adding' a second cpu - I am pretty sure you would hit an Out Of Tolerance issue there and you will need to reactivate - with Vista that's gonna be some fun there goes all of your functionality unless you reactivate or run in safe mode...as for XP...im not too familiar with the activation junk on that...i think that all u lose is the reccomended/optional updates off of M$update and u cant get 'special' M$ junk on its website..

but just as a heads up as to what to expect with the new vista out there...but heres a heads up---if u did a fresh install of Vista (any version) you have 30 days to make ur hardware changes then to activate in that state...so get-er-done

Horseman

« Reply #50 on: 11-March-07, 05:15:52 »

Im replacing my 3000 Venice with a 3800 X2 this week.  I have updated to the 1D Bios in preparation.

K8N Neo4 Ver1   (939)
 XP Sp2

Apparently , XP can either recognize the dual chip without issue, or not.   I'm trying to figure out in advance if I'm going to have a problem or not. Is there some pattern to this or is it random?

Is there anything else I need to do to prep the system?

As for patches,  the more I read the more confused I get.   You have the AMD Dual Core patch and this from M$::

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;896256

What's the bottom line  :shocked_anim: on what you NEED to install to get smooth dual core performance??

« Last Edit: 11-March-07, 12:26:01 by Horseman »

Snipus_Maximus

« Reply #51 on: 15-March-07, 15:39:39 »

the best performance: fresh install of windows xp or vista, then fully updated, and then that MS patch that you have listed, then also this patch here from AMD
http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/utilities/Setup.exe -- the dual core optimizer

Bobo9x

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #52 on: 19-March-07, 11:28:06 »

Hi there ,i have gone over the material here and am not sure if the problem i am having with my dual-core upgrade is the same issue. I originally checked in the Device Manager and the Computer is listed as an "ACPI Uniprocessor PC" , so i assumed i could at least just exchange the CPU and change everything else later (Driver , optimizer etc....). The PC booted up and Recognized the CPU correctly, went through the posting and just blanked out when it was time to load Windows.I think i had a blinking "underscore" the first time . I am not new to computers, but am a little out of my league when it comes to diagnosing what to do first in this situation . So, if anyone had an idea in which direction i should go , it would be much appreciated ... 8-)).   Thanks
BTW -- the new CPU i want to install is an AMD 4800+ X2  (Toledo Core) and the updated Bios is X2 friendly !!! 
AMD A64 3000+ Venice(9x200) w/ XP-90 Thermalright Heatpipe
MSI-K8N Neo 2-F  (MS-7025 S939) V1.CTC Side-effect Bios
2 x 512 Mb OCZ 3200 DDR Dual Ch. Rev 2 Plat. 2-2-2-5  1T
450 watt OCZ Modstream P/S  , WD Caviar SE IDE HD (120 gig)
ATI Radeon X850XT 256 Mb 256 Bit AGP
Windows XP-Pro SP 2

Svet

• T9246ED, Бивша комета
  • Administrator
« Reply #53 on: 19-March-07, 11:51:36 »

so you have installed the X2 CPU and can't boot OS with it?
try to boot into Safe mode then update "ACPI Uniprocessor PC" to "ACPI Multiprocessor PC".
if can't boot into safe mode. change HAL to "ACPI Multiprocessor PC" before install the X2 CPU.

Bobo9x

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #54 on: 19-March-07, 19:34:06 »

so you have installed the X2 CPU and can't boot OS with it?

Yes ,this happened with the new X2 Cpu , I tried a couple of different things in the bios and still would not load windows,so i threw my 3000+ back in and everything functioned fine.
I will try later today to change the HAL over to multiprocessor "before" dual core install and i assume i will need to update the driver and dual core optimizer "after" installing the new dual core .

Thanks for the quick response BossKiller           :biggthumbsup:
AMD A64 3000+ Venice(9x200) w/ XP-90 Thermalright Heatpipe
MSI-K8N Neo 2-F  (MS-7025 S939) V1.CTC Side-effect Bios
2 x 512 Mb OCZ 3200 DDR Dual Ch. Rev 2 Plat. 2-2-2-5  1T
450 watt OCZ Modstream P/S  , WD Caviar SE IDE HD (120 gig)
ATI Radeon X850XT 256 Mb 256 Bit AGP
Windows XP-Pro SP 2

Svet

• T9246ED, Бивша комета
  • Administrator
« Reply #55 on: 19-March-07, 22:22:34 »

Yes ,this happened with the new X2 Cpu , I tried a couple of different things in the bios and still would not load windows,so i threw my 3000+ back in and everything functioned fine.
I will try later today to change the HAL over to multiprocessor "before" dual core install and i assume i will need to update the driver and dual core optimizer "after" installing the new dual core .

Thanks for the quick response BossKiller           :biggthumbsup:
you are welcome,
"I will try later today to change the HAL over to multiprocessor "before" dual core install and i assume i will need to update the driver and dual core optimizer "after" installing the new dual core ."
all procedure can be done with single core CPU as well, e.g.:
change/update HAL to "ACPI Multiprocessor PC"
reboot.
install Dual Core HotFix V4 --> https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=103843.0
reboot.
install Dual Core Optimizer --> http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/utilities/Setup.exe
reboot, lets load OS, power down PC and install X2 CPU.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12  All   Go Up