Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Why not utilise your system's redundant processing power for a worthy cause, and join the MSI HQ Red Rockets Folding@Home team?

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 8 pin to 4 pin 12 volt motherboard adapter  (Read 1739 times)

nikon

8 pin to 4 pin 12 volt motherboard adapter
« on: 11-December-06, 18:28:55 »

I have a RD480 Neo 2 motherboard that has a 8 pin 12v connector on the motherboard. My 450 watt supply only has a 4pin, can I safely use an 8 to 4 pin adapter. I am only running a Athlon 64 3900.
thanks
Nikon

Tiresmoke

Re: 8 pin to 4 pin 12 volt motherboard adapter
« Reply #1 on: 11-December-06, 19:12:13 »

Most of those 8 pin connections are really just 2 four pins stuck together. Take a close look and I bet you will see that they come apart and you will have the connection you need.

nikon

« Reply #2 on: 11-December-06, 19:28:44 »

I just want to make sure that if I plug my one 4 pin 12v connector from my p/s and connect to the right side 8 pin connector on motherboard that this will be ok. I have heard there could be current issues if not using an 8 pin connector from p/s.(EPS12v)  I was hoping since I am not using dual core, this would be ok running 4 pin connector to mB. 

Tiresmoke

« Reply #3 on: 11-December-06, 19:32:21 »

Check the PSU docs for your PSU but that is what most of them do. On mine the 8 pin comes mated from the factory and is marked as p1 and p2. When you seperate them you use the P1 as the standard 4 pin connection for CPU power. Again check your docs as they tell you what you can do.

nikon

« Reply #4 on: 12-December-06, 04:06:03 »

I just it,plugging the 4 pin into the 8 pin connector on board.  Spec on p/s is supposed to handle it.  Powered on and it turns off after about 15 seconds. Fan is running.  Not sure if is it p.s or cpu. 

Tiresmoke

« Reply #5 on: 12-December-06, 04:13:05 »

Can you give more details on that PSU? Make/Model Amps per rail? Anything? Your in front of the PC we aren't so you really need to provide details like Specs if we are to be any real help.

nikon

« Reply #6 on: 12-December-06, 07:56:46 »

the motheboard I have is MSI RD480 Neo-2, the case is the XION 2, it is a 450 watt supply.  The 12v line is 18 amps, but I think it is setup for one rail. I am new to all of this. Site is http://www.xionusa.com/product-case-Xion2.html.  I am thinking of ordering the Ultra X-Finity, it is a 600 watt supply, with 18A/20A on the 12 volt rails.  Hopefully this will be better if it causing my problem.  I really appreciate the help

tcsenter

• Big Bang
« Reply #7 on: 12-December-06, 08:58:05 »

Single-core or dual-core doesn't matter, both are one physical processor package and draw their power on the same pins.  Only a dual CPU board would divide the 8-pin connector, each 'half' powering a different CPU.

When an 8-pin connector is used on a single processor board, all 8 pins should be utilized unless the manual explicitly permits a 4-pin lead to be plugged (and where).  The manual for RD480 Neo2 doesn't say that a 4-pin lead can be used and I would not recommend a 4-pin to 8-pin adapter.

nikon

« Reply #8 on: 12-December-06, 09:03:34 »

If the Ultra supply is not good enough, can someone suggest a cheap p/s that will work.  I will just be using one HD and a cheap NVIDIA GeForce 6500 256MB video card.  I'll be running an AMD Athlon 64 3700 SanDiego processor.  I had just wanted a  something cheap that could be updated in the future with other processors.
Pages: [1]   Go Up