Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: k9ngm2 problem  (Read 16961 times)

scottybrokeit

k9ngm2 problem
« on: 06-January-07, 00:26:50 »

I just set up a system with this same board, a sempron 2800, 512 wintec pc6400 memory, and a 60 gig maxtor sata drive. all went smooth untill I tried installing drivers for the onboard video, then black screen, won't boot back into windows.........tried 3 different video drivers without luck.  anyone h ave any suggestions?

Svet

• T9246ED
  • Administrator
Re: k9ngm2 problem
« Reply #1 on: 06-January-07, 00:33:15 »
  • Best Answer

scottybrokeit

« Reply #2 on: 06-January-07, 13:21:32 »

Several times now, also completely repartitioned and reinstalled xp 2 times,  same thing every time.

scottybrokeit

« Reply #3 on: 06-January-07, 13:25:24 »

Possible the memory is too fast?  or maybe a messed up bios?

Svet

• T9246ED
    • Administrator
    « Reply #4 on: 06-January-07, 13:29:15 »
  • Best Answer

• make full system specification, including PSU brand + details( can be found on the PSU sticker)
    example into my signature

scottybrokeit

« Reply #5 on: 07-January-07, 04:40:29 »

Okay will do my best.

MSI K9MGM2-FID
    Sempron 64 2800+ Manila Core 1.6ghz
    Maxtor Sata II 60 gb
    Ausus 18x Dvd Burner
    WINTEC AMPO 512MB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Desktop Memory
    (5-5-5-5-15) 1.8v

Apeva 420 watt switching Powersupply Came with APire xpack microAtx case.
    +3.3/ 31A  +5/29A    +12v1/14A   +12v2/16A   -5/ .3A    -12/.8A   -5vsb/ 2A

Now Here's more to the story.

Went and picked up a PNY 7300GS PCI-e card today, installed so sweet and smooth I couldn't believe it, been running all day and night with not even a hiccup.....even doing some bench marking and oc'ing........

Haven't had the guts to fight with trying to get the onboard working anymore.

scottybrokeit

« Reply #6 on: 07-January-07, 05:12:07 »

I wish there was a bios update for this bord, but it seems as though MSI decided to can this board all together and has pulled it from stores from what I'm hearing.

Svet

• T9246ED
    • Administrator
    « Reply #7 on: 07-January-07, 05:17:38 »
  • Best Answer

• do you use currently BIOS version 1.1?

scottybrokeit

« Reply #8 on: 07-January-07, 05:31:13 »

I believe (will double check) it is bios 1.0

and have not found any updates

scottybrokeit

« Reply #9 on: 07-January-07, 05:34:51 »

YEs the bios version is v1.0 7/06/06

Svet

• T9246ED
    • Administrator
    « Reply #10 on: 07-January-07, 05:40:46 »
  • Best Answer

• YEs the bios version is v1.0 7/06/06
    well if onboard VGA is so important for you,
    you can have a try 1.1 version which solve similar problems with onboard VGA. but BIOS is beta and you have to use at own risk.

scottybrokeit

« Reply #11 on: 07-January-07, 05:50:19 »

I have not been able to find that bios? where are you finding it?

Svet

• T9246ED
    • Administrator
    « Reply #12 on: 07-January-07, 05:55:38 »
  • Best Answer

• I have not been able to find that bios? where are you finding it?
    if you decide to try get
    K9NGM2 ver. 1.1 Image
    extract file and burn it to CD.(example: open it with nero and burn image to CD)
    then reboot PC, and boot from CD. you will need to confirm BIOS update twice. then procedure is automated. when flashing is done. power down PC, remove power cord from PSU and Clear CMOS Guide
    NOTE: Make and ensure PC is stable before proceed.
    Let we know the results.

scottybrokeit

« Reply #13 on: 07-January-07, 06:35:02 »

Thank you so much for your help.  I'm not sure if I will attempt it or not.  The system is running far too smoothly right now to mess it up.  I did download it just in case I do get the nerve one day.  FIrst I want to confirm more there isn't another cause of the problem.  So far, running ntune stability tests going on 4 hours even with slight oc'ing,  the system has stayed very stable and even keeping good temps.  Ntune auto tune says the Memory is able to overclock up to almost 950 mhz, ......amazing for cheap ram.  and can push the CPU FSB to 240 and holds stability for at least an hour........So will see what happens tomorrow after I leave it running the stability tests all night.

Svet

• T9246ED
    • Administrator
    « Reply #14 on: 07-January-07, 06:44:57 »
  • Best Answer

• Thank you so much for your help.  I'm not sure if I will attempt it or not.  The system is running far too smoothly right now to mess it up.  I did download it just in case I do get the nerve one day.  FIrst I want to confirm more there isn't another cause of the problem.  So far, running ntune stability tests going on 4 hours even with slight oc'ing,  the system has stayed very stable and even keeping good temps.  Ntune auto tune says the Memory is able to overclock up to almost 950 mhz, ......amazing for cheap ram.  and can push the CPU FSB to 240 and holds stability for at least an hour........So will see what happens tomorrow after I leave it running the stability tests all night.
    you are welcome mate,  :yes:  also if you have instability problems, at 1st they can be caused by your weak PSU:
    Apeva 420 watt switching Powersupply Came with APire xpack microAtx case.
    +3.3/ 31A  +5/29A    +12v1/14A   +12v2/16A   -5/ .3A    -12/.8A   -5vsb/ 2A

its recommended to replace it in time. you may have to read here:
    https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=77071.0
    some good PSU recommendation:
    https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=103299.0
    and can be due cheap memory too. (also budget mobo don't has mem. vcore and timings adjustment)

scottybrokeit

« Reply #15 on: 07-January-07, 06:54:19 »

Too be honest I just bought this system to set up for my girlfriend for a birthday present and it was just to be a cheap internet/music computer.......Am pretty impressed with it (other than the onboard video issue).  With the new video card (PNY 7300gs PCI-e)  it's running absolutely beautiful and wondering if I should give her my old media pc and use this one for gaming (not that I go overboard on gaming).  It's quite peppy for what it is and the xpack case makes it much less of an eyesore than either of my other pc's.

As far as the PSU , my only real worry is if I can find a PSU for small form factor that's high enough power.  The current PSU is pretty small in physical dimentions, and it has EXCELLENT cooling.  So we shall see how this one holds up for a while I guess.

scottybrokeit

« Reply #16 on: 07-January-07, 22:50:35 »

Well now this is interesting, just for kicks, I decided to set the bios to [Both]  (in other words allowing both on board and pci-e) to be detected,  rebooted.......the onboard 6150 was detected in windows and loaded the driver with no lockup.....no blank screen, system running fine.  although it's only showing 8 bit color and resolution of 640 x 480.  Hmmmm.....don't have another lcd monitor to hook up to it at the moment to see if it works or not.

Gonna have to do more investigating.

Svet

• T9246ED
    • Administrator
    « Reply #17 on: 08-January-07, 00:02:03 »
  • Best Answer

• Well now this is interesting, just for kicks, I decided to set the bios to [Both]  (in other words allowing both on board and pci-e) to be detected,  rebooted.......the onboard 6150 was detected in windows and loaded the driver with no lockup.....no blank screen, system running fine.  although it's only showing 8 bit color and resolution of 640 x 480.  Hmmmm.....don't have another lcd monitor to hook up to it at the moment to see if it works or not.

Gonna have to do more investigating.

just reinstall VGA drivers, remove currently one with Driver Cleaner and re-install it.

scottybrokeit

« Reply #18 on: 08-January-07, 00:45:09 »

Well what I'm wondering if having different drivers for the 7300gs and the 6150 will cause conflicts?

The system is running great with driver that are installed for the 7300gs and really don't want to mess it up.

As it is the two are using the same version drivers.

Svet

• T9246ED
    • Administrator
    « Reply #19 on: 08-January-07, 00:51:51 »
  • Best Answer

• Well what I'm wondering if having different drivers for the 7300gs and the 6150 will cause conflicts?

The system is running great with driver that are installed for the 7300gs and really don't want to mess it up.

As it is the two are using the same version drivers.

you must remove currently VGA drivers(read post above) and make new clean Driver installation with correct drivers for your onboard VGA(http://download.msi.com.tw/support/dvr_exe/mbd_dvr/C51_WinXP2K2003_8205.zip).
    mess as like you describe 8 bit color and so on are expected and normal if you don't make clean Driver install.

scottybrokeit

« Reply #20 on: 08-January-07, 01:11:50 »

I understand what you are saying completely.   However, WILL there be a driver problem with the 7300gs? 

If I completely uninstall the drivers it will also uninstall the driver for the 7300gs as well correct.  Will the driver that you posted work with the 7300gs as well?

I'm very unfamiliar using different cards with same driver.

Also, a sillier question for you, where would I locate the serial number of my motherboard (on the motherboard)

Svet

• T9246ED
    • Administrator
    « Reply #21 on: 08-January-07, 01:19:50 »
  • Best Answer

• I understand what you are saying completely.   However, WILL there be a driver problem with the 7300gs? 

If I completely uninstall the drivers it will also uninstall the driver for the 7300gs as well correct.  Will the driver that you posted work with the 7300gs as well?

I'm very unfamiliar using different cards with same driver.

Also, a sillier question for you, where would I locate the serial number of my motherboard (on the motherboard)

"If I completely uninstall the drivers it will also uninstall the driver for the 7300gs as well correct.  Will the driver that you posted work with the 7300gs as well? "

just use latest Nvidia Drivers when using 7300--> http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_93.71.html
    well you need to repeat procedure if you use 7300gs, etc: remove drivers again(with driver cleaner) and install again your currently VGA drivers for 7300gs.
    for 7300gs use those ---> http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_93.71.html
    for Onboard VGA ---->  http://download.msi.com.tw/support/dvr_exe/mbd_dvr/C51_WinXP2K2003_8205.zip
    and use Driver Cleaner when switching drivers to remove currently installed 1st, before install the newone.

scottybrokeit

« Reply #22 on: 08-January-07, 01:22:31 »

OKay will do that at a later time.

but as far as my other questions???

"Also, a sillier question for you, where would I locate the serial number of my motherboard (on the motherboard)"

Svet

• T9246ED
    • Administrator
    « Reply #23 on: 08-January-07, 01:26:43 »
  • Best Answer

• OKay will do that at a later time.

but as far as my other questions???

"Also, a sillier question for you, where would I locate the serial number of my motherboard (on the motherboard)"
    into mainboard (on the backside of the mobo, there should be a little sticker with SN on it, you need to get mainboard out of case to see it)  or  on your warrantly paper.

scottybrokeit

« Reply #24 on: 08-January-07, 01:35:20 »

Was afraid of that.

scottybrokeit

« Reply #25 on: 09-January-07, 10:24:38 »

UPDATE:

Msi tech support finally called me.  Talked to the guy for an hour.  Final advice was updating the bios.  He sent me a CD ISO image of beta bios  1.18.  we'll see what happends.

However on another note, the second stick of memory came in and I installed it, system running very quick and stable with the added pci-e card.

Have even been burning and encoding DVD's without any problems, not the last bit of lags, errors or lockups.

That there alone tells me the memory and power supply should not be an issue.

Svet

• T9246ED
    • Administrator
    « Reply #26 on: 09-January-07, 11:20:36 »
  • Best Answer

• UPDATE:

Msi tech support finally called me.  Talked to the guy for an hour.  Final advice was updating the bios.  He sent me a CD ISO image of beta bios  1.18.  we'll see what happends.

However on another note, the second stick of memory came in and I installed it, system running very quick and stable with the added pci-e card.

Have even been burning and encoding DVD's without any problems, not the last bit of lags, errors or lockups.

That there alone tells me the memory and power supply should not be an issue.
    keep us updated.

scottybrokeit

« Reply #27 on: 09-January-07, 11:57:35 »

Bosskiller,

Should I uninstall the PCI-e card while I flash the bios?  the onboard will work as long as I'm not in windows.

Svet

• T9246ED
    • Administrator
    « Reply #28 on: 09-January-07, 12:07:00 »
  • Best Answer

• Bosskiller,

Should I uninstall the PCI-e card while I flash the bios?  the onboard will work as long as I'm not in windows.

think doesn't matter. you will update BIOS via dos.

scottybrokeit

« Reply #29 on: 09-January-07, 12:18:26 »

probably totally unrelated but......

I just ran cpu-z and looked at memory clocks

this is what I got.....

this look normal? 

from what I was told memory timings were supposed to be 5-5-5-15

Svet

• T9246ED
    • Administrator
    « Reply #30 on: 09-January-07, 12:20:52 »
  • Best Answer

• what is currently memory frequency?

scottybrokeit

« Reply #31 on: 09-January-07, 12:52:15 »

said 803. something megahurtz

BUT!!!!!!

DId the flash update from the cd they sent.  shut down and pulled the pci-e card.  booted and couldn't get into windows (locks up at the splash screen)  tried safe mode....locks up just before the messag about running in safe mode.

Shut down put in pci-e card.  Set bios to both........same results.

Set bios back to auto (booting only on pci-e)  ......same results.

Looking like another reinstall.

Svet

• T9246ED
    • Administrator
    « Reply #32 on: 09-January-07, 12:56:19 »
  • Best Answer

• power down PC, and clear CMOS via jumper or button. (remove PSU cord before proceed)
    at next startup go to BIOS and "LOAD BIOS DEFAULT", "SAVE AND EXIT"
    re-test.

scottybrokeit

« Reply #33 on: 09-January-07, 13:22:43 »

DId that twice with same results

Decided to try a repair installation of xp.

Locked up loading files.

Trying again

scottybrokeit

« Reply #34 on: 09-January-07, 13:27:07 »

Memory is becoming more and more suspect at this point

Svet

• T9246ED
    • Administrator
    « Reply #35 on: 09-January-07, 13:29:56 »
  • Best Answer

• Memory is becoming more and more suspect at this point
    you can check it: https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=103598.msg760534#msg760534
    also k9ngm2 don't have mem. vcore and timings adjustment if im right. and if memory is cheap one like seems in case with bad SPD programmed (https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=104230.msg767783#msg767783) that cannot be corrected.

scottybrokeit

« Reply #36 on: 09-January-07, 14:21:00 »

Well working on replacing the memory.

Getting a stick of OCZ Gold 512MB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800

Hopefully it will help

scottybrokeit

« Reply #37 on: 09-January-07, 15:21:22 »

:wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire:

Okay, well now the system won't load windows AT ALL.......seems the "new and improved bios" that MSI sent me
     version 1.18.....has hosed the system completely.

Get's to driver.cab install and dies.

Bioskiller any chance of an ISO image of the bios you mentioned to try to restore the bios?

Svet

• T9246ED
    • Administrator
    « Reply #38 on: 09-January-07, 15:28:34 »
  • Best Answer

• :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire:

Okay, well now the system won't load windows AT ALL.......seems the "new and improved bios" that MSI sent me
     version 1.18.....has hosed the system completely.

Get's to driver.cab install and dies.

Bioskiller any chance of an ISO image of the bios you mentioned to try to restore the bios?

"Bioskiller any chance of an ISO image of the bios you mentioned to try to restore the bios?"
    Bioskiller :lol_anim: :bonk: well seems MSI has job to do.
    yes you can roll back to 1.11 version, but ensure PC is stable before proceed.

scottybrokeit

« Reply #39 on: 09-January-07, 15:35:17 »

thing is , it was running perfect on the 1.0 bios with the PCI-e card......now nothing will get it to install windows.

it's not making sense at all.

How do I make a bootable CD for the bios?

the MSI guy made it so all I had to do is put the disk in and boot, ran automatically with all the switches.

Svet

• T9246ED
    • Administrator
    « Reply #40 on: 09-January-07, 15:38:23 »
  • Best Answer

• thing is , it was running perfect on the 1.0 bios with the PCI-e card......now nothing will get it to install windows.

it's not making sense at all.

How do I make a bootable CD for the bios?

the MSI guy made it so all I had to do is put the disk in and boot, ran automatically with all the switches.
    same story only need to confirm twice, its bootable and with correct switches
    look here: https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=104230.msg767039#msg767039
    but its 1.1 version not 1.0 or 1.18

scottybrokeit

« Reply #41 on: 09-January-07, 16:04:15 »

Yep, got it. Flashed and attempting reinstall AGAIN!

Svet

• T9246ED
    • Administrator
    « Reply #42 on: 09-January-07, 16:19:12 »
  • Best Answer

• Yep, got it. Flashed and attempting reinstall AGAIN!
    good that procedure goes smooth, keep us updated.

scottybrokeit

« Reply #43 on: 09-January-07, 16:22:01 »

BOSSKILLER ROCKS!!!!!!  ;-)) :agrees: :agrees: :agrees:

ALmost have xp reinstalled again.....I guess the 1.1 bios did the trick.......for future reference.....don't ever let anyone use the 1.18 bios.

I have the strange feeling that it may have been for one of the other K9NGM2 boards NOT the FID model.

scottybrokeit

« Reply #44 on: 09-January-07, 18:25:32 »

Well, I thought all was grand........but it looks as though I still have the onboard video issue with it not taking drivers.....still locks up and goes blank and reboots.......so......when new OCZ memory gets here I guess I'll be fixing that problem.  *knock on wood*

scottybrokeit

« Reply #45 on: 11-January-07, 21:59:44 »

UUUUGGGGGHHHHHH.

Got the new memory in today.  OCZ Gold pc6400 512 meg.

put in the new memory,  removed the pci-e 7300gs, reset cmos jumper (all with power unplugged).

Rebooted, set bios to optimized defaults.......attempted to boot.  booted to windows, detected 6150 chipset, loaded drivers , blank screen, flicker, blank screen, monitor goes to power save, 3 minutes later system reboots.  boot to safe, uninstall drivers, run driver cleaner, reboot, load chipset drivers, reboot, attempt loading latest version of video drivers from nvidia, copies files, screeen goes blank again.

So.......back to square one.  No onboard.  shut down , reinstall 7300gs, reboot, load drivers for 7300gs, back where I was with the old memory.   :wall: :wall: :wall:

Also tried connecting a new PSU, ........all same steps, all same results......so.....verdict, motherboard is crap  or at least the onboard video is.

Anyone else have suggestions?

scottybrokeit

« Reply #46 on: 12-January-07, 10:00:53 »

ANYONE AT ALL?  *bump*

COnsidering trying a different CPU (one with 2000 HTT instead of 1600).  Possible memory controller issue on the chip.  that or it's RMA on the mobo time.

Smorny

« Reply #47 on: 13-January-07, 09:38:20 »

Hi all.

I have a memory problem with same motherboard and corsair XMS twin2x PC800 2*512 MB (4-4-4-12).
    Memory runs only at 368*2=736 MHz. and timings are 5-6-5-18  ???
    First i thought, that bios v1.1 would fix that, but it doesn't. In bios aren't any adjustment possible.
    Any ideas?
    Pages: [1]   Go Up