Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: HOW TO switch from IDE to AHCI mode without having to reinstall Win XP (GUIDE)  (Read 404170 times)

OldMSguy

• PRIVATE E-2

Thanks for the reply Jack.

I do have the ICH10R southbridge, and I followed your guide.

I can't get the AICH to work, and it has nothing to do with your solution, I have another problem.
If I can get past this new problem, I am sure your solution will solve the rest.

There is something not working right with the BIOS and/or CMOS settings.

Anyways, I changed the onboard SATA setting from IDE to AICH, and only had one 60gig SATA drive, attached to port 1 of the
onboard SATA. The JMicron SATA is set to IDE, any other setting, and the machine cannot see my CD/DVD drives on the IDE
Channel. I have tried various combinations of settings involving 1.)boot sequence 2.) onboard SATA, and 3.) the JMicron SATA.

The system sees the 60gig drive at boot, but at the time that it goes to the boot menu, I get this message:

"Reboot and select a proper boot device or insert bootl media in the selected device."

If I reboot, and go back into the CMOS, and change back to IDE for the onboard SATA, Windows XP (SP3 and fully updated, with the registry changes
and driver copy in place, per your guide) boots right up. By the way I'm using "iata82_enu.exe", from the Intel website.

I checked the reviews for the board at Newegg, where I bought it, and it seems that the ver 1.3 BIOS might be problematic.
I have read about that in other forums. I will probably flash back to 1.2 (there were no reviews when I bought the board)

I realize that my problem has nothing to do with directly with this thread, or my initial problem.

However, if anyone following this thread has had a similar issue, or can point me to a source for a detailed explanation of the
AMI BIOS CMOS settings, I might be able to get past this stumbling block.

Once again Jack, thanks for your help, and for staying on top of this thread.
I am sure you have been a great help to a lot of puzzled and frustrated system builders.

jlodvo

• SERGEANT

is thier a guide for p45 platinum and windows xp 64bit?

jlodvo

• SERGEANT

i tried the ich10r reg file now it works but i have something wierd, before i always count the bar flashing left to right when windows starts with then windows logo, my p45 ide mode before was max 4 bars flashing then it loads to windows now when i did this achi mode i get upto 10 flash, its kinda long anyone know why?

and i have doen the achi to ide reg b4 in my other p35 system it has a max of 3.5 flash either in ide mode or in achi

im just wondering why it takes more then twice now to finish the flashing (running bar from left to right) so it basically longer for me now to boot

jlodvo

• SERGEANT

here a little quick test i tried using the windows boot timer

achi mode 52 seconds
ide mode 47.640 seconds

so for me i get faster boot time with ide mode dont know why

DJRamses

• SERGEANT

perhaps i have a other way:

Now go to your Device Manager. Klick on your IDE/ATAPI Controller. Right click on intel(R) XXXXX Bus Master Ide Controller. Klick on Driver update. Let Windows not search!
Klick on Search Driver manually from  a list!... Klick on Drive... search. Go to the place where you the IAstore.inf have placed.
klick OK. Remove the Check at "kompatible Hardware".Now in the List right, chose the right driver. On my (X48C Platinium) it was Intel(R) ICH9R/DO/DH SATA AHCI Controller.
Klick all ok. Ignore possibly warnings incompatible Hardware. Install the Driver. Make a Reboot and jump into Bios.
On integated Peripherals--->On-Chip ATA Devices chose AHCI. Save and exit the Bios and reboot.
Perhaps to make a check that Your Harddrive where the OS is installed, has the first Boot priority.
If necessary re enter Bios and change it.

I have make this way anymore. It works fine.

|MSI X48C Platinium 3.0 Bios7.31T
|Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 3,16GHz@4,2Ghz            |2024MB Ram(2x2048MB) DDR2 1066 OCZ Reaper HPC 5-5-5-13
|Cooling:Themaltake Big Water 745
|MSI N9800GTX+ T2D 512 OC
|Super Flow Pyramid 850Watt Power supply

JackTopic starter

• Ex Forum moderator
  • GENERAL OF THE ARMY
    • A user initiative by MSI fanatics to support all other MSI product users

:lol_anim:

Damn, that works like a charm.  Works perfectly on a P45 Platinum as well.  Windows XP bootet without problem.   :biggthumbsup:

I wonder why nobody ever thought of that.  Simple and effective.  That once again proves that the simplest solutions are usually the best.  :agrees:

straddy

• PRIVATE E-2

Ok I followed all the instructions carefully and did everything but I still get BSoD on boot.
Here's what I did:
I created the reg file (I have ICH8 and used the first set of code for ICH8). Double clicked reg file to install to registry.
I extracted the latest iata86_enu.exe, saved iaStor.sys in system32/drivers/
BIOS change from ATA to AHCI.
Boot, BSoD.

I've tried the ICH9 code with no luck.

Note that I have Windows XP on partition E:\, Vista boots on C:\ and is marked as the boot partition. I boot to XP via bootloader.

JackTopic starter

• Ex Forum moderator
  • GENERAL OF THE ARMY

What board do you have? What BIOS Version?

straddy

• PRIVATE E-2

Hey, I figured it out.

Jack, your guide is missing a CRITICAL STEP, please update the first page with the following.

Once the intel drivers are extracted you have to do this:

Go to This Computer-> Properties -> Hardware -> Device manager.
Under IDE ATA/ATAPI-Controllers, right-click the first INTEL(R) Controller, and update the driver.
Manually install the driver!! Make sure in every step you choose yourself what drivers to install!!
Browse to the folder where you extracted the intel drivers and install the matching chipset driver.

I think this works for a broader range of boards than simply copying iaStor.sys to drivers.

Thanks!

Btw, I'm on an intel GM965 express chipset. Dell bios A06 :P Boots into Mac OS X Leopard with AHCI lol

JackTopic starter

• Ex Forum moderator
  • GENERAL OF THE ARMY

Jack, your guide is missing a CRITICAL STEP, please update the first page with the following.

Actually, it is not.  The step you described is actually part of a different procedure.  This one:

https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=106575.msg899229#msg899229

straddy

• PRIVATE E-2

Ah ok. I missed it though, which means other readers would probably miss it too. I think the method should be mentioned in the first post for newbies like me.

JackTopic starter

• Ex Forum moderator
  • GENERAL OF THE ARMY

I will include a link to that method as soon as I find the time.  :biggthumbsup:

[BTW:  The registry patch method only works if the registry code contains the proper Vendor ID of the Controller.  ICH8R and ICH9R use different vendor IDs than ICH8.  That could be the reason why you still got BSODs.]

steve04

• PRIVATE E-2

Ok I have tried everything and this does not work.  I made the registry file (ICH10R) and ran it but I have no idea where this iaStor.sys is.  I searched my whole computer (and my XP cd) and it is on neither.  I also went to http://downloadcenter.intel.com/filter_results.aspx?strTypes=all&ProductID=2101&OSFullName=Windows*+XP+Professional&lang=eng&strOSs=44&submit=Go! and downloaded those drivers.  When I install them it says my system does not meet the minimum requirements.  I also did a search for IATA621_CD.EXE and when I ran it , it also says I don't meet the requirements.  My specs are as follows...

Intel Core2Duo E8400 @ 3.0 GHZ
Asus P5Q Pro Mobo
GEForce 9600 GT Video Card
Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD7500AAKS 750GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
Maxtor 500 GB SATA II drive

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

JackTopic starter

• Ex Forum moderator
  • GENERAL OF THE ARMY

Please read my first post again and pay more attention to the part labeled "Second Step".  It explains how to extract the file you need without running the installer in the regular sense.

Asus P5Q Pro Mobo

Note that this is an MSI Forum that is concerned with MSI Products (not Asus products).  Please consult the Asus forum instead as you have an Asus mainboard.  That is what the Asus forum is there for.  Any further post regarding problems with procedures on your Asus board will be removed without notice; either by me or by another moderator.  Sorry.

JackTopic starter

• Ex Forum moderator
  • GENERAL OF THE ARMY

@Wernox, this is an MSI-Forum concerned with MSI Products.  We do not offer support and help for non-MSI  Products.  That is why I removed your post.

But to answer your question very quickly as it is an easy one:  The Intel ICH6 Chipsatz does not support AHCI to begin with, so there is no point in trying to make it operate in AHCI mode.

--------------

You have a PM!

Radical_53

• FIRST LIEUTENANT

Thanks alot, absolutely great guide. It wasn't enough that I had to re-activate Windows by phone because I forgot to set time and date at the first boot, I also forgot to set the ICH to AHCI. Now it works as supposed again, great help! :)
Intel i7-6800k | MSI X99A Tomahawk  | 4x8096MB Mushkin DDR4-2666
Palit GeForce GTX 1070 Super Jetstream | LianLi PC-60F
Seasonic Platinum 460W (12V: 38A / 5V: 20A / 3.3V: 20A)

RonNielson

• PRIVATE E-2

When the update method described in DJ Ramses post #104 is used, is it still necessary to do the Reg update?  I am not clear about this.

JackTopic starter

• Ex Forum moderator
  • GENERAL OF THE ARMY

Just try without and see what happens.  That is the best way to find out.

RonNielson

• PRIVATE E-2

Let me re-phrase the question - When YOU did this and it worked just fine, did YOU to the REG update? Is the REG update a part of the normal driver installation process that will happen automatically?   

No need to create a problem if I don't need to.

JackTopic starter

• Ex Forum moderator
  • GENERAL OF THE ARMY

No, i did not have to.  If it does not work in your case, try with the reg file.  If you have further questions, please be so kind an provide more info about your system (Board/Southbridge and operating system are the most important things that you should mention in this case).

trimarky

• CORPORAL

Worked very good in my system P45Platinum with Samsung HD502IJ and boot a little bit  slowly but the programs run more faster than IDE, nice guide thx man
MSI P45 Platinum, E8400 @3.00Ghz,
KHX8500D2K2/2G @ 1066
MSI HD4850, Hp w2207
Corsair TX650w
Creative X-Fi Platinum, Inspire p7800
Logitech G5/G15

CryTek

• SERGEANT
Vista Ultimate 64bit
Desktop PC
Intel®Core i7™ 920
MSI X58 pro-e  Bios 8.5
3x2GB tripple Channel
twinMOS DDR3 1333
2xATI® Radeon™ HD4870 1GB GDDR5 CrossfireX
Maxtor 500GB@7200RPM
Creative Audigy2 ZS
LG M228WA 22" LCD
Gigabyte Superb720W PSU

queequeg

• PRIVATE E-2

I'm looking to do this, but have an nvidia motherboard.  Has anybody have the correct .reg settings for the nvidia (nforce) AHCI/RAID controller instead of the intel one?

JackTopic starter

• Ex Forum moderator
  • GENERAL OF THE ARMY

I have not came upon a reg file for NVIDIA Chipsets.  Reinstalling the OS will probably cost you less time than piecing a proper reg file together.

bratboy

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS

A bit back I decided to give ACHI a shot on my Win7 system. While things worked I really didn't see any real improvement so was wanting to switch back to SATA mode. To do this I had to change a single key in the registry, reboot into the bios and then switch that from SATA to ACHI and reboot into Win 7 which then installed the needed drivers.

Is it a simple thing ie just change the setting in the Bios from ACHI to SATA and rebooting into Win7 or do I need to make a change in the registry file to go back to SATA?

JackTopic starter

• Ex Forum moderator
  • GENERAL OF THE ARMY

What board/chipset are you talking about?

AHCI is a native SATA Mode.  There is not necessarely a major performance difference between IDE/Legacy Mode and AHCI Mode. 

Hell Racer

• PRIVATE E-2

Hi! Awesome guide! :)

Do you know is it possible to switch from AHCI (or RAID non-member) to IDE without reinstalling, if Windows was installed in AHCI mode (using slipstreamed drivers)?

JackTopic starter

• Ex Forum moderator
  • GENERAL OF THE ARMY

The switch back to IDE Mode is usually no problem (not even for XP).  Usually, no further adjustments are necessary.

Hell Racer

• PRIVATE E-2

Right now I have Windows XP SP3 installed in RAID non-member mode, and switching to IDE causes BSOD :(.

faber

• PRIVATE E-2

For ICH9M the correct registry file is

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\CriticalDeviceDatabase\pci#ven_8086&dev_2929&cc_0106]
"Service"="iaStor"
"ClassGUID"="{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\iaStor]
"Type"=dword:00000001
"Start"=dword:00000000
"Group"="SCSI miniport"
"ErrorControl"=dword:00000001
"ImagePath"="system32\\drivers\\iaStor.sys"
"tag"=dword:00000019
"DisplayName"="Intel AHCI Controller"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\iaStor\Parameters]
"queuePriorityEnable"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\iaStor\Enum]
"0"="PCI\\VEN_8086&DEV_2929&SUBSYS_B0051458&REV_02\\3&13c0b0c5&0&FA"
"Count"=dword:00000001
"NextInstance"=dword:00000001

--------------------
I tested in ACER Extensa 5230E and i've success.
Sorry for my English

higado2

• PRIVATE E-2

I just registered so that I can thank Jack the Newbie for this most useful thread and to thank DJ Ramses and straddy for their suggestion to use an "alterlative method" that doesn't involve tinkering with the registry (thank god!). I personally ran into this problem when downgrading to Windows XP SP3 on an Acer Aspire 5735-6649 laptop. The Cd I used had the latest Intel SATA AHCI textmode drivers slipstreamed correctly into it, and yet still I would get that dreaded BSOD when I switched to AHCI mode in the BIOS when I tried to install Windows XP, so I had to use IDE mode. I tried the registry method after the install, but I guess since this laptop uses ICH9M, it didn't work.

Here are the instructions again so that others who keep getting the BSOD can get AHCI working on their computer running Windows XP (SP3 hopefully!):

* Extract the SATA AHCI drivers from IATAxxENU.exe by doing the following (xx is whatever the current version of that file is now. Mine was 89):
 - copy IATAxxENU.exe to C:\
 - go to Start > Run
 - type the following in the box that appears then press enter:
   cmd
 - now type this then press enter:
   cd..
 - now type the following then press enter:
   IATAxxENU.exe -a -a
 - Relax! nothing is getting installed! eventhough it looks like it. All that is happening is that the driver files are being copied to C:\Program Files\Intel\IntelStor or something similar
 - remember this location as you will be needing it later
* Go to Device Manager > IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers
* Right click on the first "Intel (some number like ICH9M) SATA IDE Controller" you find (the one that can't be disabled), then click "Update Driver..."
* Make a note of that ICHxx number as you will be needing it later. For example, like "ICH9M" mentioned above
* Now cancel the "search on the web" window, then select "Install from a list or specific location (Advanced)" then click next
* Now select the bottom choice "Don't Search. I will choose the driver to install" then click next
* Now uncheck the "Show compatible hardware" box, then click the "Have Disk..." button
* Now click browse and locate the folder with the drivers made earlier, find "iaAHCI" then click Open, then OK
* Now select the driver that most closely matches your controller number, in this example we will be using the one that has ICH9M then click ok
* You will be given a strong warning .... ignore it and click ok and continue
* Once windows is done it will ask you to reboot. So do that. BUT be ready to enter your computer's bios as soon as you reboot!
* Go to your BIOS and change your controller from IDE mode to AHCI. Save and exit.
* WOW! Windows didn't crash! Once windows finishes installing the correct controller it will ask for a restart and you reboot, you will be running AHCI in Windows XP! YEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!  :lol_anim:

And this is how I got AHCI working on an Acer Asperi 5735-6694 laptop. I know that this forum is for MSI motherboards, but my search for help on this subject on Google brought me to this thread so I hope that others who run into this problem will be able to benefit from it in the future .... well, at least until Windows XP becomes obsolete! hehehe. Again, many thanks to Jack the Newbie for this making this thread and to DJ Ramses and straddy for discovering the best method to solve this problem!  :biggthumbsup:

monographix

• STAFF SERGEANT

Hello

- Is out there maybe some similar registry edit for the P55 chipset?
- What actually is the sata chipset in P55 boards ? (is there no southbridge anymore? ICHXX ?)

Jack, maybe should add to the original guide-post the ICH9M reglines provided here as well? :)
Q6600 @ 3 :: 2x1Gb Transcend Axeram 800 @ 1066 5-5-5-15 2.10v:: 8800GT @ 700/1000
MSI P35 Neo2-FR :: Hiper 480 Type-R :: Raptor 36 :: WD2500YS

monographix

• STAFF SERGEANT

is it maybe ICH10(R) the sata controller in P55 boards?
Q6600 @ 3 :: 2x1Gb Transcend Axeram 800 @ 1066 5-5-5-15 2.10v:: 8800GT @ 700/1000
MSI P35 Neo2-FR :: Hiper 480 Type-R :: Raptor 36 :: WD2500YS

warlocklw

• PRIVATE E-2

Register here to say thanks. It works.

Thanks to Jack t.N.

Most thanks to higado2 because the steps solve my problem.

eduds

• PRIVATE E-2

Register here to say thanks. It works.

Thanks to Jack t.N.

Most thanks to higado2 because the steps solve my problem.

same here.. Thanks to Jack, DJ Ramses and Higado  :worship:   

The only difference is I am in dual boot config (XP SP2 main and Win 7). I was able to switch both to ACHI.. i.e. using exactly Higado's detailed method. I also have 3 partitions 1) XP 2) Win7 3) Data

It went like this:
Note: I have mobo drivers dvd with the AHCI driver in it. In the "Have Disk" portion, I selected the drivers from the dvd drive 
XP
-Login to XP, update according to Higado..
-Restart

Win7
-Reset the BIOS to IDE before login to Win7 (still in IDE mode at this time), otherwise win7 detects startup error and attempts to repair. In my case, I did this hoping WIn7 could switch to ACHI drivers automatically. It did not, so I swiched to IDE mode.
-Update the driver (same procedure)
Restart and finally, switch to ACHI mode

My mobo is Asus, anyway  :-P)

Frog_User

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS

;D Off-subject, soory but it's Nice to see Jimi (Jack t.N. ) X-((

medal

• PRIVATE E-2

I have a Gigabyte P55A-UD3 which is a P55 chipset.. for me the following reg worked.

Thanks to Jack T. N. and any other contributors

Code: [Select]
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\CriticalDeviceDatabase\pci#ven_8086&dev_3b22&cc_0106]
"Service"="iaStor"
"ClassGUID"="{4d36e96a-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\iaStor]
"Type"=dword:00000001
"Start"=dword:00000000
"ErrorControl"=dword:00000001
"Tag"=dword:00000019
"ImagePath"=hex(2):73,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,33,00,32,00,5c,00,44,00,\
  52,00,49,00,56,00,45,00,52,00,53,00,5c,00,69,00,61,00,53,00,74,00,6f,00,72,\
  00,2e,00,73,00,79,00,73,00,00,00
"DisplayName"="Intel AHCI Controller"
"Group"="SCSI Miniport"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\iaStor\Parameters]
"queuePriorityEnable"=dword:00000000
"BusType"=dword:00000003

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\iaStor\Enum]
"0"="PCI\\VEN_8086&DEV_3B22&SUBSYS_B0051458&REV_06\\3&13c0b0c5&0&FA"
"Count"=dword:00000001
"NextInstance"=dword:00000001

CElliott

• PRIVATE E-2

This method worked well for me on an Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo with the X58 chipset and an ICH10R hub.  Whoever (RemusM) wrote on this forum that the SIS Sandra file system benchmark showed slower results after switching to AHCI was correct, but, on the other hand, Win XP seems to just leap on the screen on a reboot and the logging output from my Java programs scrolls by on the console screen so fast that the characters are just a blur.  Before I could easily read the logging messages.  So, on the whole, I am very satisfied.

Many, many thanks and much appreciation to Jack t. N. for his exceptionally clear guide and all his hard work.

JackTopic starter

• Ex Forum moderator
  • GENERAL OF THE ARMY

S3ZAi

• PRIVATE E-2

Hi, just registered to say thanks, so THANKS A LOT for this guide.  :biggthumbsup:

It worked with my asus p5q pro motherboard with ich10 chipset.

The reason I wanted to switch to ahci was because I bought a external hd drive with e-sata connectivity. Whatever I tried, it wouldn't work, until I tried ahci mode. Now it still doesn't work like an usb drive, meaning: when I plug it in and power it on, the external sata drive is not found by windows.

Also, a new problem occurred: my internal hd's now show up as removable drives, this is very annoying, is there way to tell windows those are fixed drives? Or should I change to ide again in my bios to fix this. It didn't solve my problem anyway, so might just as well do that.

JackTopic starter

• Ex Forum moderator
  • GENERAL OF THE ARMY

Well, thank you for your thank you post. 

This forum is not really the right place to discuss stuff regarding Asus boards.  However, in general terms:  The Hot Swap Feature that you can take advantage off when you enable AHCI is essentially a feature of the SATA Controller and not limited to eSATA ports alone.  It will pretty much make every associated SATA Port hot-plug capable.  You could theoretically attach an eSATA Bracket to any of the internal SATA Ports and hook up eSATA drives to them.  Under the bottom line, there is no essential functional difference between a SATA and an eSATA port besides the connectivity.

satori3000

• PRIVATE E-2

Hi All,

I believe I'm missing something with Solid state drives. I have an MSI P6N Diamond and am running Windows 7. How do I enable AHCI if I'm running Windows 7?

JackTopic starter

• Ex Forum moderator
  • GENERAL OF THE ARMY

I believe I'm missing something with Solid state drives.

What exactly would that be?  What are you missing? Can you name it?

How do I enable AHCI if I'm running Windows 7?

AHCI has nothing to do with the operating system as such.  Also, this thread mainly concerns Intel Chipsets.

Because of the NVIDIA Chipset that is used on your board, there is (as far as I know) no dedicated AHCI Mode which you could switch the SATA Controller to in BIOS Setup.  The only options (I think) you have are IDE/Legacy Mode (default) and RAID Mode. 

satori3000

• PRIVATE E-2

What exactly would that be?  What are you missing? Can you name it?

AHCI has nothing to do with the operating system as such.  Also, this thread mainly concerns Intel Chipsets.

Because of the NVIDIA Chipset that is used on your board, there is (as far as I know) no dedicated AHCI Mode which you could switch the SATA Controller to in BIOS Setup.  The only options (I think) you have are IDE/Legacy Mode (default) and RAID Mode. 

That is what I am missing, that AHCI is only an Intel thing. I will look to see about what if any settings are helpful for Nvidia chipsets then, but I was specifically looking for P6N threads and how to optimize for solid state drives.

Mike

• aka Frankenputer
  • GENERAL OF THE ARMY
  • Virginia, USA

I'm not even sure AHCI is an option on Intel boards released at the time of P6N...I may be mistaken about the timing.
#1:
MSI X38 Diamond/Bios 1.5; Core2Duo E8400 3.0Ghz; Thermalright Ultima-90HS/120 fan; 2X1GB DDR3 CorsairTWIN3X2048-1333C9DHXG; PIONEER|DVR-215DBK SATA DVD-DL & Lite-on DVD-ROM PATA; FDD; MSI 260GTX-T2D896; 196.34beta; Seagate 320GB  & WD 500GB SATA HDDs; PC P&C Silencer 750 +3.3V/24A~+5V/30A~+12V/60A; X-FI Xtreme PCIe; Antec P182 Case; XP PRO SP3

#2:
MSI 865PE Neo2-PFS Platinum/Bios 3.A; P4 2.8C HT; Thermalright XP-90HS; 2GB DDR400 RAM(2x1GB kit Mushkin HP3200 2-3-2-6); Nec ND-3550A DVD-DL & TDK 52X24X48 CD-RW; FDD; Nvidia GeForce 7800GS; 84.21; Maxtor 200GB & Seagate 200GB PATA HDDs; Enermax 465P VE-FMA +3.3V/35A~+5V/35A~+12V/33A; Audigy 2ZS; XP PRO SP3
Dell 2209WA LCD on a DVI KVM switch

MSI Wind U100

JackTopic starter

• Ex Forum moderator
  • GENERAL OF THE ARMY

I'm not even sure AHCI is an option on Intel boards released at the time of P6N...I may be mistaken about the timing.

AHCI was supported ever since the ICH6R Southbridge (925X chipset based boards had one (2004)). 

That is what I am missing, that AHCI is only an Intel thing.

It is not an Intel-only thing.  Intel defined the AHCI Specifications but it is not a feature limited to Intel Controllers.

On Intel Chipset boards it is also possible to enable RAID Mode instead of AHCI mode and have all benefits of the AHCI protocol.  RAID Mode includes the AHCI Mode (so to speak).  I have no idea if this is actually true for NVIDIA Chipsets as well (unfortunately NVIDIA never publishes any datasheets whatsoever, so it is hard to check specifications).

What you can try is to enable RAID Mode on your board and see what happens.  Make sure you run a couple of benchmark tests as long as the system is in IDE Mode to have a reference for performance comparisons.  But beware:  I do not know what kind of SSD you actually have. 

If you have an OCZ SSD for example, please read this first:

http://www.ocztechnology.com/res_old/images/Configuring-and-Setting-Up-SSDs.pdf

AHCI 
AHCI is not official supported on OCZ SSDs and may under some circumstances affect performance,
specifically during windows installation. Enabling AHCI can result in higher performance in synthetic
benchmarks for SSDs and HDDs alike, but can cause hang-ups and intermittent freezes in SSDs since it
allows multiple access requests to compete for a drive that is not made to address re-ordering of
commands in the queue. We recommend AHCI is set to disabled in both Windows and in the BIOS.
Native Command Queuing greatly increases the performance of standard rotational drives but it has no
bearing on SSDs. 

Mike

• aka Frankenputer
  • GENERAL OF THE ARMY
  • Virginia, USA

Thanks Jack...I was too tired to look up the AHCI history at the time.
#1:
MSI X38 Diamond/Bios 1.5; Core2Duo E8400 3.0Ghz; Thermalright Ultima-90HS/120 fan; 2X1GB DDR3 CorsairTWIN3X2048-1333C9DHXG; PIONEER|DVR-215DBK SATA DVD-DL & Lite-on DVD-ROM PATA; FDD; MSI 260GTX-T2D896; 196.34beta; Seagate 320GB  & WD 500GB SATA HDDs; PC P&C Silencer 750 +3.3V/24A~+5V/30A~+12V/60A; X-FI Xtreme PCIe; Antec P182 Case; XP PRO SP3

#2:
MSI 865PE Neo2-PFS Platinum/Bios 3.A; P4 2.8C HT; Thermalright XP-90HS; 2GB DDR400 RAM(2x1GB kit Mushkin HP3200 2-3-2-6); Nec ND-3550A DVD-DL & TDK 52X24X48 CD-RW; FDD; Nvidia GeForce 7800GS; 84.21; Maxtor 200GB & Seagate 200GB PATA HDDs; Enermax 465P VE-FMA +3.3V/35A~+5V/35A~+12V/33A; Audigy 2ZS; XP PRO SP3
Dell 2209WA LCD on a DVI KVM switch

MSI Wind U100

rokcarl

• PRIVATE E-2

Are you sure?  Have a look here in BIOS:
Integrated Peripherals --> On-Chip ATA Devices --> On-Chip SATA Controller --> ?? ??

I checked it but I only have IDE and Disabled as an option, so I cannot enable AHCI. I've flashed the BIOS with v1.10 (dated 2008-11-11), but I still get nothing. What can I do?

JackTopic starter

• Ex Forum moderator
  • GENERAL OF THE ARMY

What can I do?

Well, the most important thing you can do right now is to mention what mainboard you are actually using...

rokcarl

• PRIVATE E-2

Yeah, sorry :). I forgot to mention because I'm having the exact same problem as uid313 (in this question/answer - same thread).

I have an MSI, model MS-7360, chipset P35 (on my motherboard it says P35 Neo if I open the case), southbridge 82801lB (ICH9) with an AMI v1.10 BIOS, dated 2008-11-11.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Up