Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Why not utilise your system's redundant processing power for a worthy cause, and join the MSI HQ Red Rockets Folding@Home team?

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: P6N Diamond owners using hardware raid  (Read 17957 times)

casper139971

• Winki
P6N Diamond owners using hardware raid
« on: 23-May-07, 07:30:09 »

Could you post you system specs and experiences please if you are using The silicon image raid controller? Also Any unusual experiences in general with this board.
Hardware raid makes my system hang with Windows XP pro SP2, but not 100% of the time. When windows does load, the raided drive works perfectly.
I had to unplug all drive and setup a software raid array to boot.
If it works for you, tell me what you did please. I tried Raid 0, and yes I shorted the correct jumper.

Intel C2D E6700
MSI P6N Diamond
2gb Corsair XMS2 ddr2 800mhz ram
XFX 8800 GTX video card
Antec Truepower Trio 650watt PS
Antec Nine Hundred Case
Coolermaster HYPER TX cpu cooler
3 200gb WD SATA 7200rpm HDD  1 X system drive, 2 X Striped raid array
1 80gb Hitachi SATA 7200rpm HDD
1 Lite On DVD burner
1 Lite On CDRW
Sounblaster X-Fi Extreme Music (Onboard sound pops, not much, but enough to annoy me.)

Maesus

• Power Edition
  • in Penang, Malaysia
Re: P6N Diamond owners using hardware raid
« Reply #1 on: 24-May-07, 18:30:18 »

When does it make your system hang? is it during BIOS POST? during Windows bootup? or during Windows already running?
Please read the ==>MOAN Guide<==
Maesus

My PC:
Now using : IBM Thinkpad T60p

Core 2 Duo recipe
E6600 2.66Ghz with GB Rocket Cooler Pro : MSI 975X Platinum PUE BIOS 7.6 : DDR2-667 2x1GB + DDR2-800 2x1GB : MSI 8800 Ultra : 80GB WD Caviar SE : Maxtor 250GB SATA : LiteOn LH-20A1S DVD writer + Samsung SH-W162C DVD writer : MSI Theater 550 Pro : LOGITECH Z-680 : DELL E228WFP 22" LCD : PowerLogic 500W PSU with +12V1&+12V2 @ 32A total

quietfly

• Neo
« Reply #2 on: 24-May-07, 22:17:45 »

I also have a new P6N diamond mobo and i'm having a problem loading vista with Nvidia raid. when raid is not enabled on the mother board i can load vista fine, but if i attempt to enable raid in the bios and then configure the array in the Raid bios, vista stops loading the setup after the first scrolling bar.

my setup is:
Antec p182 SE
MSI p6n diamond
intel e6420
4gb Gskills pc2 6400
wd raptor 1500adfd x2
wd caviar wd500sys x4
egva 8800gts
Thermaltake Toughpower 850W W0131RU

I'm not trying to over clock anything yet the memory is set at the manufacture default of 4-4-4-12 and @ 2.0 volts

I've been able to confirm the issue by loading vista on to an un-raided drive and then stress testing using prime 95 and memtest for 6+ hours.
If i could get it to boot into vista setup I would attempt to use the modded drivers that i have seen on other web sites.

does any one have any ideas?

thanks!!

casper139971

• Winki
« Reply #3 on: 25-May-07, 06:26:32 »

By hanging, I mean, it post and loads fine sometimes, but sometimes it will post, but slowly, as if it is having trouble finding or initializing something, then the windows loading screen comes up with progress bar....forever.

Only when hardware raid is being used. If I unplug from those ports, pc runs fine and stable.

Maesus

• Power Edition
  • in Penang, Malaysia
« Reply #4 on: 26-May-07, 11:17:36 »

hmm... is your Windows installed on the RAID from the beginning? or Windows is at another HDD? Did you install RAID driver to WinXP?
Maesus

My PC:

Core 2 Duo recipe
E6600 2.66Ghz with GB Rocket Cooler Pro : MSI 975X Platinum PUE BIOS 7.6 : DDR2-667 2x1GB + DDR2-800 2x1GB : MSI 8800 Ultra : 80GB WD Caviar SE : Maxtor 250GB SATA : LiteOn LH-20A1S DVD writer + Samsung SH-W162C DVD writer : MSI Theater 550 Pro : LOGITECH Z-680 : DELL E228WFP 22" LCD : PowerLogic 500W PSU with +12V1&+12V2 @ 32A total

casper139971

• Winki
« Reply #5 on: 27-May-07, 06:02:52 »

System drive is not raid

I was using the hardware raided drive as a gaming drive. Raid0 drive is not my boot drive. Installed all drivers through windows after OS installed. Did not need to install drivers during windows install.

Maesus

• Power Edition
  • in Penang, Malaysia
« Reply #6 on: 27-May-07, 07:02:11 »

ic, then can you do it one step at a time?
first, enable RAID BIOS in the screen, but don't setup the RAID.
2nd, in Windows, install the RAID driver, make sure the driver is installed properly and working fine.
3rd, restart and goto RAID BIOS setup screen, setup your drive.
Then, 4th, restart again, make sure that your boot sequnce still point to your original HDD, don't let the RAID take over the boot sequence.
5th, boot to Windows and verify.
Maesus

My PC:

Core 2 Duo recipe

Dreamtreater

« Reply #7 on: 05-June-07, 22:24:08 »

Yeah! I got the same problem here with my P6N Diamond. Nvidia raid works fine, but when I use the Sil Hardware raid, the computer randomly will not startup. If it does, it works fine. If it doesn't, Post is very slow, even in detecting the normal Sata harddisks. After those are detected, the raid bios (I think) shows the message 'detecting raid array' which can take up to 40 seconds. After that it will say that I have to use another bootable medium, and I can restart the whole procedure, untill at some point all the harddisks immediately catch on and the whole set runs perfectly.
So somehow, when using sil raid, it has trouble detecting all drives.   This has nothing to do with operating system previously installed and using F6 and floppies and stuff, the hardware fails and therefore cannot boot.
I do tend to think that when its warmed up a bit it starts easier, but its to early to tell yet.

I have difficulty choosing using the Sil or Nvidia raid permanently on this system.
performance is really about the same in my dual Raptor setup, but the Sil offers better possibilities (Partition magic can see it as a normal drive and you can repartition the raid array). Then again, if it doesn't boot half of the time its useless.

I'm afraid that if I use Nvidia raid, they will come up with a driver update that will render my system useless.

By the way, what do people use to post their system specs at the bottom of their message?

Zanzibar

« Reply #8 on: 06-June-07, 13:34:36 »

I too am having trouble with the hardware RAID as the boot drive and windows booting.  Currently installing windows without RAID enabled to see if this is the problem.

-Zanzi

SteveS

• Winki
« Reply #9 on: 06-June-07, 13:58:16 »

I'm using the onboard RAID as the boot drive for Vista.  It seems to be working well, but none of the Nvidia tools can give any details about the RAID.  Since I'm using RAID 1, I'm curious as to how Vista (or any driver/service) is monitoring the health of the RAID, and would a rebuild really work?
Mainboard: P6N SLI Platinum
Processor: E6700 (425x7 = 2975MHz)
RAM: 2GB Corsair Dominator PC6400 (850MHz @ 5-5-5-18-2T
Video: EVGA 8600 GTS
Storage: WD Raptor 150GB - RAID 1
PSU: Thermaltake 650W
Case: Antec P-180B

casper139971

• Winki
« Reply #10 on: 06-June-07, 15:21:00 »

It does not matter if it's your boot drive on the hardware raid or not, it will not boot regularly with 2 drives plugged on to the hardware raid. Maybe a future bios upgrade may help.

Software raid does work well, but one of the features I wanted was the hardware raid.

Zanzibar

« Reply #11 on: 06-June-07, 17:53:12 »

Steve are you using the p6n diamond or the p6n platinum as your sig says?

-Zanzi

SteveS

• Winki
« Reply #12 on: 07-June-07, 16:35:56 »

Er, sorry, I am using the P6N Platinum.   ;D 

The good news is that I just loaded some new nVidia MediaShield drivers (9.92) and I can now see the status of my RAID, etc.   :biggthumbsup:
Mainboard: P6N SLI Platinum
Processor: E6700 (425x7 = 2975MHz)
RAM: 2GB Corsair Dominator PC6400 (850MHz @ 5-5-5-18-2T
Video: EVGA 8600 GTS
Storage: WD Raptor 150GB - RAID 1
PSU: Thermaltake 650W
Case: Antec P-180B

maries

• Winki
« Reply #13 on: 07-June-07, 19:39:08 »

It does not matter if it's your boot drive on the hardware raid or not, it will not boot regularly with 2 drives plugged on to the hardware raid. Maybe a future bios upgrade may help.

Software raid does work well, but one of the features I wanted was the hardware raid.

I have the same situation: two WD 150 Raptors attached to ports 6/7 and shunted for raid zero. In both XP Pro Sp2 and Vista Ultimate (so the problem is not the OS) my P6N Diamond will NOT recognize the raptors IF THE COMPUTER IS DOING A COLD BOOT! If the P6N Diamond has been running, or I reset it one or more times (depending upon the P6N's mood) and I do a reboot, there is no problem (usually: sometimes I have to go to <tab> and manually select the silicon raid device).

I notice in the cold boot situation that if I go into <tab> at boot and check the available boot devices, the hardware raid does not show up (and it tries to boot off my other sata drive on port 1, which fails).

I remember similar problems with an old Abit machine, where if the boot device did not respond quickly enough, the computer would assume it was not there. Abit ended up putting a "Delayed Wait" option in the bios (up to a second) to allow more time for the drives to respond to the booting process.

I'm hoping MSI will soon provide either a silicon driver update or a bios option or bios tweak that will solve the problem, which so far, is the most annoying problem.

Monolyth

• Neo
« Reply #14 on: 08-June-07, 19:23:55 »

I've had no issues with my setup.

Intel E6600 @ 3Ghz
2GB Corsair 1066 - Dual Chan
Hardware Raid 0 (SiI) - 2x320GB Seagate 7200.10 - Boot Drive
nVidia IDE - 500GB & 400GB Seagate, Samsung SATA DVD+/-RW

Installed Vista just fine, POST is fast, Windows boot takes a bit longer though. I've not had a single Blue-Screen and I've never seen a slow POST. (Just got mine yesterday btw.

Double check your eSATA options in BIOS and try setting it to disabled and see what happens, that's really all I can think of.

Dreamtreater

« Reply #15 on: 09-June-07, 19:07:19 »

Earlier on I reported that my Raid startup problem were gone when I set everything to IDE and Sata in bios. Today it turned out that it would not start for 5 minutes with this setting as well. After 5 minutes, riad was detected as usual and the computer started with no further problems. This is some strange behavior indeed. Maybe I'll see what a PCI-e Raid card costs and be done with this madness. Suggestions anyone?
« Last Edit: 11-June-07, 16:12:10 by Dreamtreater »

maries

• Winki
« Reply #16 on: 09-June-07, 23:50:16 »

Double check your eSATA options in BIOS and try setting it to disabled and see what happens, that's really all I can think of.

As I stated above, this only happens on COLD boots (i.e., it's been off overnight), not warm (as in it's been running for a while and I have rebooted it via a reset or the "ON" button).

Since the BIOS settings do not change between a cold boot and a warm boot, I can't see why changing anything in the bios is going to make a difference.

It just sounds like a sata port 6-7 driver/bios/hardware timing problem that needs to fixed (soon I hope) by MSI.

Dreamtreater

« Reply #17 on: 10-June-07, 23:15:25 »

I totally agree with your logic, and it's stupid some instabillity startup bug is dependant on temperature. Unfortunately it seems to be that way...
« Last Edit: 11-June-07, 16:13:12 by Dreamtreater »

maries

• Winki
« Reply #18 on: 11-June-07, 01:12:44 »

Try it. !! Not changing anything on your harddrives, just set everything to Ide and sata. See what happens.

I went and double-checked, but my BIOS settings have always been set with "On-Chip SATA Controller [ENABLED]" and "RAID Mode [IDE]".

I guess for experimental purposes I can try set RAID mode to RAID and see what happens....  :shocked:

Dreamtreater

« Reply #19 on: 11-June-07, 16:15:16 »

Maries, sorry if I caused you any trouble. Today my computer didn't start for 5 minutes in the new setting, so it's no solution after all. This bug is just so damn inpredictable.
Good luck.
We should report this to MSI, so they can fix it, hopefully.

maries

• Winki
« Reply #20 on: 14-June-07, 02:31:55 »

Maries, sorry if I caused you any trouble. Today my computer didn't start for 5 minutes in the new setting, so it's no solution after all. This bug is just so damn inpredictable.
Good luck.
We should report this to MSI, so they can fix it, hopefully.

If you contact MSI Tech Support, they can offer you a beta bios 1.21 which is supposed to help/solve the problem.

UPDATE: I tried the 1.21B1 beta bios and it did not solve my problem. Still takes 2 - 4 reboots to "see" the Raptors...

However, it did nothing for me except now when booting up it actually says that the Sil Bios is "disabled".

Once I turn on my PC, I just assume that I will have to hit reset 2 or 3 times before it boots correctly and does not give a "invalid boot device, pick another...." type of error message....  :biggthumbsdown:
« Last Edit: 14-June-07, 19:15:49 by maries »

gene2k7

• Neo
« Reply #21 on: 14-June-07, 05:41:16 »

I also experienced a similar problem with cold boots requiring about 3 reboots before it will recognize the harware raid disks.  my setup is as follows

Core 2 duo 6700 @ 2.6 Ghz no overclock
1 GB  x 4 corsair xms ddr2 800
BFG 8800 GTX
2 seagate 320 Gb 7200.10 on SATA 6 and 7 both jumpers shorted for raid 1

After three reboots it loads XP just fine.  But now the blue LED on the board is lit only intermittenly...is this normal? and does anyone know how to check on the health of these drives in windows so we know when one is failing and needs to be replaced?

maries

• Winki
« Reply #22 on: 16-June-07, 02:33:09 »

But now the blue LED on the board is lit only intermittenly...is this normal? and does anyone know how to check on the health of these drives in windows so we know when one is failing and needs to be replaced?

I believe the BLUE LED works just like a normal PC case drive access indicator light would work.

Can't help you on the SMART status of the RAID drives, either, since SPEEDFAN doesn't seem to know they exist.  :shocked:

Still trying to get this boot problem fixed. Tech support said to try disabling the "Slow Boot" option, which I did, but it made no difference.

They also said to disable Spread Spectrum in the bios, but I don't see any SS options in the P6N bios...

UPDATE1: Spread Spectrum is on the Cell Page, but is the last [hidden] entry -- you have to scroll down to see it.

UPDATE2: It looks like MSI Tech Support is passing the buck to Western Digital, saying it must be "their problem" and look for a bios update or some such. The Murphy's Law problem is that, using the WD Diagnostics Utility, it can not "see" either drive (to report SMART status, drive serial numbers, or bios versions). Thus even if the discs need a bios update (which I still don't buy into), I will have to start from scratch since the drives will have to unraided from the Sil Hardware RAID system.

You would think that MSI could affort to buy two Raptor 150's and try to find a solution in their own tech support center! :biggthumbsdown:
« Last Edit: 17-June-07, 21:40:12 by maries »

gene2k7

• Neo
« Reply #23 on: 18-June-07, 02:45:57 »

WD drives are the problem?  I'm having this problem with two Seagate 320 Gbs...

maries

• Winki
« Reply #24 on: 19-June-07, 09:21:49 »

WD drives are the problem?  I'm having this problem with two Seagate 320 Gbs...

The best thing you can do right now is submit a problem report with MSI Customer Support. The more people that complain, the more likely they will take the problem seriously. :yes:

shocky

• Winki
« Reply #25 on: 20-June-07, 16:13:14 »

Same problem.. Two seagate 320gbs.

Here is the best solution I found without a bunch of reboots.

I let the machine power on and begin going through its checks.. I hit F11 to choose boot device.. Wait a couple seconds.. Power off.. (not hit reset)..
Wait a 5 seconds.. Power back on.. Woola... Works everytime (from overnight poweroff).

Hitting resets for me can take a very long time to get it to detect.. like 4-5 times.

Called tech support.. They directed me to upgrade to 1.1 and told me it'd solve all my problems.. blah, nuthin!

The most annoying part.. If it boots without the raid being detected it changes your boot order settings..  So I now hit F11 everytime I turn on my computer so I can choose my raid to boot from cause I got tired of changing around the bios.

Dreamtreater

« Reply #26 on: 22-June-07, 15:31:04 »

It's a crappy problem huh?...  Since the computer is for my business I considered hard to swap my board for another P6NDiamond, see if that helps, but after some time and cost estimates,   :think: it seemed better for me to just leave this problem for now   ;-(( or buy a nice PCI-e Raid card for € 65. Swapping the board would mean unbuilding and rebuilding my system :undecided: , a lot of travel to the store and waiting and persuiding there....  :angryfire:
It sucks that I'm sort of forced to give up on this problem though. Think about getting a Raid card while it's already built in and it's already a very expensive board!!!  :wall:

(yeah, I know, too much smileys but they're cute....)
DT

Dreamtreater

« Reply #27 on: 24-June-07, 15:46:01 »

Hey Shocky, Thanks!! That solution helps.   F11 - wait for menu- power off  - power on - voila.
Hopefully the bios writers can get a hint of what's going on from this.
Greets, DT

fastcbr4

« Reply #28 on: 27-June-07, 06:17:32 »

I just finished putting together my new system...At first the bios would freeze even under fail safe defaults then I removed 2 g of ram and 1 8800gtx then changed a few settings..so far it stopped freezing. now... I dont see this blue led lit near the jumpers, i have them set for raid 1 (both in). I have raid turned on in the bios...but in the raid bios one of my hard drives doen't even show up. i have the hd's in sata 6 and 7...sata 7 doesn't show up in the bios. Am i doing something wrong. i'm new to this raid stuff. thanks in advance.

Danny

p6n diamond
core 2 e6600
4 gig corsair 1066
2 evga 8800 gtx
2 wd 150 raptors for raid (sata 6/7)
1 wd 500g for files,music,video etc (sata 1)
2 sony dvd rw (sata 2/3)
pc power/cooling 1000w ps

maries

• Winki
« Reply #29 on: 27-June-07, 08:47:16 »

Your two drives are now prisoners in the Twilight Zone!

They will never show up as two independent drives again, only as some "External Raid" device. You will not be able to retrieve either drives serial numbers or find and/or update their bios' with their manufacturer's utilities. Welcome to the club!

As for the blue light special, yes, it does not come on just because you shorted the jumpers. They should come on when you access the raid array (just like a disk access LED).

fastcbr4

« Reply #30 on: 28-June-07, 00:40:17 »

So did I do something wrong or is this the way of msi's hardware raid....can i still run them raided? what are my options and why wont i be able to get the drive info or update the bios? thanks

Danny

maries

• Winki
« Reply #31 on: 29-June-07, 08:36:57 »

You didn't do any thing wrong. Assuming that there are no other problems, plug in two equal drives in Sata 6 + 7, short the jumper for either raid 0 or raid 1, and you should be good to go.

The warning I was giving was that, because of the way the "hardware RAID" takes control of the disks, each individual disk is essentially "hidden" to the Windows (XP, VISTA, etc. ) operating system. Windows only sees a single disk - period.

So, let's say, that MSI Tech supports tell you to update the bios on the two Raptor 150's that the diamond never sees on a cold boot, and (although there are no bios updates for the Raptors) you download and install WD's "Windows Disk Utility" to check what bios' are installed and each disk's serial numbers, the WD Window's Disk Utility will report that you have no Raptors installed...  :nooo:

Or if you use Speedfan, for example, to check on drive temps and SMART statistics, it will not see the RAIDed drives either.

To check the disks you will have to back up the disks (either 150GB or 300GB of data depending upon RAID 1 or RAID 0), turn off hardware raid, and possibly reformat the disks (depending upon the RAID option) just to get Windows (or a Windows utility) to recognize the disks as 2 individual RAPTOR drives.... :shocked:

Dreamtreater

« Reply #32 on: 06-July-07, 13:15:59 »

Hi everyone, good news - I think...!
I reported the problem to an MSI department, and had some discussion to make the problem absolutely clear. Of coarse first they told me "Ours is working" but then they had it off for a night    ;-))  , they turned it on and had the same problems... They experimented some more, reproduced the problems, and now it's official. MSI Taiwan is on it now, and is talking to Silicon Graphics to find out what's going on.

Hopefully, if this is fixable, eventually this will lead to a usefull bios update, they told me to keep me posted, as I will you guys.

DT

Maverick0984

« Reply #33 on: 20-July-07, 17:30:02 »

I sure hope they do, this is unacceptable, I can't even install raid 1 w/ hardware raid because it keeps losing the connection or something and freezing up, but software raid is fine.

Why do companies advertise something that dosen't work? I'm very displeased with MSI because of this, the board has been out for a long time now, shouldn't these things be worked out by now?  I'm not sure I'll buy an MSI board again.  Completely unacceptable for a commercial dealer to ship an unfinished/untested product like this, the worst being the board being out for months w/o a fix.

bikerrr

• Neo
« Reply #34 on: 23-July-07, 17:28:11 »

Same boot problem as others on hardware raid posting. I am setup with raid 0 using 2 Hitachi 320GB drives. I have disabled show logo so I can watch this boot. Almost all boots with computer cold it will not see the raid drive. You can watch this during post. It shows or it won't. After 2 or 3 resets it shows and will post and work find. Seems to me it needs more time to see the drives (after they warm up). I also see this happens to many different drive makes so not a drive problem.  When it sees the raid all is good. This is a major problem and pain for a board that cost this much or at any cost. This is my first MSI build so not a good 1st start (literally).  Also the box says this board is Vista Certified yet most of the features are not available for Vista like Ntune etc. I am running Vista Ultimate 64 Bit. The reason I upgraded to this board was for Vista and performance. I am patience and will give time for MSI to addrest these problem and add more Vista drivers. If they don't they will see me no more. I also think the hardware raid should have been fully tested before release. Lets hope these things get addressed soon. I am no expert but have played around and built my own for years and I can find and see this problem. HELLO ?

Dreamtreater

« Reply #35 on: 24-July-07, 22:34:17 »

Yeah guys, well OK, I'm sorry too and it sucksalot, specially for an over the top price MothershipMotherboard but in favour of MSI : When they tested it, they were probably working on it with the machine on all the time. It's understandable they missed it.

Anyway, I got news from support. They couldn't tell me much yet, but it's escalated to "The Bios Team". I hope they do well soon.
DT

shocky

• Winki
« Reply #36 on: 26-July-07, 02:34:40 »

This issue is driving me nuts too.  The minor problem is the having to boot multiple times.  The bigger problem is if you use S3 suspend sometimes when it comes out of S3 suspend the drive isn't there any more and it causes a crash.. That's just plain annoying.

thejester

• Neo
« Reply #37 on: 26-July-07, 20:34:36 »

Just found this post, I'm relieved because I'm having exactly the same problem and thought it might be a hardware failure (I've already had to wait for one replacement so didn't want to wait again).  Two WD Caviar 320GB (can't afford raptors like you lot!) in SATA 6+7 using the silicon image chip with jumpers shorted to RAID1, occasionally the BIOS can't see the disks at all.  A few resets later and it works. 

MSI: please fix this issue!  Despite having had problems with the board, the features are great (X-Fi, hardware RAID, dual ethernet) and if I get it working soon I'll still recommend it.

Cheers

MarkJohnson

• Afterburner
« Reply #38 on: 08-August-07, 01:51:05 »

I to am having this issue.  I do notice during the initial BIOS startup screen, that when detecting the normal drives for your system, if it seems to pause there longer than usual that it will fail on detecting the drives during bootup or take a real long time to do so.  my temporary solution has been to hit reset during the initial BIOS startup screen if it takes too long and it makes for a quicker startup.  usually works the first time and only have to wait an extra few seconds instead of minutes.

Hope a BIOS update is released soon.
-=Mark=-
MB: MSI P6N Diamond V1.3
CPU: C2D E4300 (Allendale)
RAM: 2gb (4 x 512mb) Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800
VIDEO: eVGA 7800GTX 512mb
PSU: Antec SP-500 500 Watt +12v1@17A +12v2@19A
HD: 2 X 36GB WD Raptors (RAID 0)
no optical drives or floppy

Pepper1

• Winki
« Reply #39 on: 15-August-07, 07:31:28 »

Howdy All,

Add another one to the cold boot problem.
Running a Raptor on a normal ATA SATA port connection with the O/S on it, with a pair of WD 500s in RAID I on ports 6 and 7 for back up drives.
Cold boots are terrible. Takes at least 3 to 5 minutes, then it will usually boot normally.
(Sometimes it doesn't see the RAID drives at all, but almost always does.)

If I wait the 3 to 5 minutes, the system will usually boot fine.
Or after a minute or so of the windows loading screen, I can restart, get the "start windows normally" screen option and it will boot immediately.

I too truly hope they provide a fix for this. I was hoping bios 1.2 would help, but didn't change a thing in this regard.

If this helps at all, my system is:
M/B: P6N Diamond
CPU: E6850
RAM: Corsair XMS PC-8500, 2 x 1 gig
HDD: 1- WD 150 Raptor
HDD: 2- WD 5000AAKS
Vid Card: EVGA 8800GTX
PSU: PC Power & Cooling 750 Silencer
ODD: Sony DRU 830A
FDD: Sony Floppy
Misc: Scythe fans x 5
O/S: XP Pro w/ SP2
« Last Edit: 15-August-07, 16:32:17 by Pepper1 »

DaltonC

« Reply #40 on: 16-August-07, 01:04:21 »

I have this problem, or at least I did. It just got WORSE! since I built this system I have had these problems, I have been letting it go as I have noticed some posts regarding this problem and figured there was nothing I could do about it, so mostly I just leave my computer running so I don't have to deal with it. Last weekend I went away on vacation and shut down my computer, when I returned I tried to boot it and it would not boot for any reason, I have tried all remedies, contacting MSI who is absolutely no help on this problem at all. If you are having this problem all I can say is make sure ALL your data is backed up onto external drives.  I am running 2 Raptor 150 X drives in a RAID 0 config for the boot drive in the Hardware raid. on the software raid I am running 4 750 Gb drives in a RAID 5, now as I cannot boot I cannot load the OS to touch my data in my RAID 5, I may however one day be able to access that info, you know say if I get another P6N (like I would even think about supporting MSI any more at this point) or as MSI recommended, I could buy 2 more Raptor 150 X drives to test the problem because they think it is MY hard drives failing. 

I am going to call MSI again and complain some more! 

PS their website is kind of lacking... as it their support

hardware Specs

P6N diamond
Intel Core 2 Quad QX6700
4 GB Mushkin 1066 RAM (only used to boot with 2GB Never with 4)
2 MSI 8800GTX (cant make both boot)
External X-Fi Creative (cause of all the popping from the built on one)
2 Raptor X 150 GB Raid 0 (my main problem I cant boot to)
4 Seagate 750 GB  Raid 5 (I wish I could get to my data)
Dual Seasonic 700W Modular Power Supplies (No complaints there)
LIAN LI PC-A10B Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Computer Case (at least it looks pretty seeing as how it is just a paper weight right now)
Zalman 110mm CPU cooler
2 20x DVDR Light Scribe Burners

gungadin

« Reply #41 on: 16-August-07, 16:14:02 »

I had issues with raid on asus boards and it sounds like the same problems plague msi. One reason for my switch to msi was the lack of proper support from asus for their mobos. Have used them for 15 years prior.

Anyway, I do not believe any of these manufactors have raid down properly. When I need raid in work in my servers I buy a adaptec card and they work like a champ. But these built in raid boards I believe have many issues. Anyone else agree here?

It's like try and avoid raid boards and buy a standalone solution. I think adaptec makes a pci-express 4 lane for 100.00 bucks. But you have to be careful with the type of socket some are pci-x. Dual pci-express mobos are pretty common now I guess, unless you want sli dual support then you are screwed.

If you can find a manufactor that uses adaptec controllers I would go with them. They have been doing the raid thing for many many years.

QuitSmoking

« Reply #42 on: 20-August-07, 19:44:59 »

I'll just add another confirmation to the pile. I'm having the same problem with the hardware RAID. Have upgraded BIOS to 1.2. System will not recognize the RAID when booting a cold system. Fortunately, unlike others who have posted here, all that I have to do is press the power button to turn the computer off, then turn it back on and everything works like a charm. I don't have to wait several minutes for the drives to be recognized.

I did have problems rebooting if I did a Ctrl-Alt-Delete to reboot. If I did that, then the BIOS wouldn't recognize the RAID drives and/or the boot order and I'd have to go into the BIOS to reconfigure.

So, simply powering down and powering up again gets around the problem for me.

Of course, that's unacceptable, and MSI needs to fix this ASAP!

Just for the record, I'm using a couple Samsung 500GB drives.

shoat

• Neo
« Reply #43 on: 22-August-07, 17:54:22 »

I am having the same issue, very annoying!

-Specs-
P6n Diamond
2x 150gb 10krpm raptors in Raid0 using silicon image chip
Q6600 CPU
8800GTS
4gb Kingston DDR2800
Rosewill 750W PS
Lite-on SATA DVD burner

shocky

• Winki
« Reply #44 on: 22-August-07, 18:01:16 »

I can't seem to get a refund / repair / or replacement for this problem.  MSI tech support is little to no help.  The 1.2 BIOS didn't help the problem at all.  I purchased the board with using this feature in mind.  MSI needs to rectify the problem with either a BIOS update or offer exchange service on the boards to replace them with a functioning version.

I'm not really sure what to do at this point.  I am considering starting a class action lawsuit if enough people are interested with the intention of recovering the cost of the board+legal, or replacement+legal.  It's really a no brainer on the verdict.  This has happened against Belkin and many other companies in the past when they could not meet advertised features.  It not only causes a problem with 'cold boot' but causes a problem with S3 resume if the system has been suspended for a long period of time.  :(

DaltonC

« Reply #45 on: 24-August-07, 01:58:24 »

Shocky I am in, let me know.  We should get in touch. 

MarkJohnson

• Afterburner
« Reply #46 on: 24-August-07, 16:59:12 »

I've noticed a strange thing lately, maybe it's my imagination.  but, I use a USB memory stick a lot and whenever i leave it in and on reboot it always resets the BIOS drive selection and wants to always boot from it.  anyway, I bought a second stick drive a few days ago and leave this old one in all the time so it doesn't mess with the boot order.  but since I have left it in, my system has been booting on first try every time now.  maybe just a coincident, but hopefully a temp fix.   anyone else experience this?

-=Mark=-
MB: MSI P6N Diamond V1.3
CPU: C2D E4300 (Allendale)
RAM: 2gb (4 x 512mb) Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800
VIDEO: eVGA 7800GTX 512mb
PSU: Antec SP-500 500 Watt +12v1@17A +12v2@19A
HD: 2 X 36GB WD Raptors (RAID 0)
no optical drives or floppy

beatonj

Got this problem too
« Reply #47 on: 26-August-07, 09:55:16 »

Yep, i got it too... its done it to me a few times now. 

i forked out AU$480 for this board, and now im going to have to get a PCI raid controller for it.  grr.

UPDATE : removed bitchin about MSY, they are doing their best :)

Any P6N SIL RAID users _NOT_ experiencing this ?
« Last Edit: 27-August-07, 11:40:11 by beatonj »

beatonj

« Reply #48 on: 27-August-07, 07:18:56 »

The F11 fix works (Y) ... well its not really a 'fix' but it saves me waiting like 5 mins. 

I will try the USB one when i can get my hands one one

beatonj

« Reply #49 on: 27-August-07, 11:38:14 »

They sent me a bios 1.31B, giving that a shot now
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up