Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Why not utilise your system's redundant processing power for a worthy cause, and join the MSI HQ Red Rockets Folding@Home team?

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Raid Array not detected....  (Read 1307 times)

kbone

• Winki
Raid Array not detected....
« on: 29-June-07, 20:28:10 »

Hi all,

Trying to install XP - i have created the raid array using 2 34gb raptors.
Its healthy and yet going to install xp windows doesnt detect any harddrives on my computer?

Ive tried downloading the drivers for raid - but when i hit enter, nothing happens - and the disk is readable and the files de-compressed?

If anyone can offer any advice, it would be appreciated - thanks

E6600
Msi P6n platinum
2 x 34gb raptors
8800gts xxx 320mb
2 gig xms2 corsair 6400c4
hiper 480w

Jack

• Ex Forum moderator
  • Power Edition
    • A user initiative by MSI fanatics to support all other MSI product users
Re: Raid Array not detected....
« Reply #1 on: 30-June-07, 01:37:27 »

Ive tried downloading the drivers for raid - but when i hit enter, nothing happens -

Have you unzipped the downloaded RAID drivers for floppy, acually put them on a floppy disk and pressed F6 when prompted at the beginning of the XP install procedure?  Or what do you mean by download and hitting enter?

Also, make sure you are using XP with integrated SP2.

littlezz

« Reply #2 on: 30-June-07, 03:59:59 »

I'm having this problem too except I'm just trying to instal a single SATA drive.  Downloaded the nVidia C55+MCP51 SATA RAID Driver from the driver download page for the P6N SLI Platinum.  Unzipped the contents to a disk, but when I hit enter at the screen, I am just prompted to hit enter again.  I did notice that the download (41MB) for the NVIDIA nForce 650 SLI System Drivers has SATA drivers included.  I downloaded it and found a folder labled SATA_IDE and SATARAID.  Would these be the drivers I need?  I'm a little annoyed that the board didn't come with a disk, as it seems to be the only way to install the drivers with XP.  Then again my experience with MSI support hasn't been that great anyway so I can't say I'm too surprised.

NovJoe

• Hawk
  • ~DeSTinY~ Destined 2 Be HeRe ^^
« Reply #3 on: 30-June-07, 06:48:53 »

Guys,

To install the SATA / SATA RAID drivers for 3rd party controllers, you have to do the following:

1) Format your Floppy to FAT32

2) Unzip the drivers to the floppy disk

3) Reboot the system with the Windows OS installation CD

4) Hit F6 when prompted for installation of 3rd party controllers

5) Insert floppy disk that contains the SATA / SATA RAID drivers

6) Hit enter after you've inserted the disk

7) Confirm drivers and install

8) Reboot after installation, removed floppy disk and CD before system boots up.
HTPC - DVI to HDMI to Panasonic 42" Plasma
Pentium 4 - 2.4GHz (B) on MSI 865PE Neo2
512MB x 2 Kingston @ 333MHz, 80GB Seagate
MSI NX6800Ultra, AcBel 560w PSU, WinXP Pro SP3

MSI Wind Love U100 Netbook - VGA to Sony Bravia LCD
Intel Atom 1.6GHz, 2GB RAM, 80GB HDD, WinXP SP3

Acer Aspire 4741 - HDMI to Sharp 32" LCD
Core i5 M450 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, Win 7 Hm Premium

HP Compaq V3136 - VGA to Sharp 32" LCD
C2D 1.66GHz, 2GB RAM, 80GB HDD, WinXP Media Centre SP3

Gigaworks S750, 7.1 THX Dolby Surround
Altec Lansing XA3501, 5.1 Gaming THX

MSI HQ Forum USB flasher

Maesus

• Power Edition
  • in Penang, Malaysia
« Reply #4 on: 30-June-07, 07:02:27 »

1) Format your Floppy to FAT32

Just FAT is enuf, no need FAT32, actually you can't format FAT32 on a floppy anyway.

Anyway, all instructions are correct. ;)
Please read the ==>MOAN Guide<==
Maesus

My PC:
Now using : IBM Thinkpad T60p

Core 2 Duo recipe
E6600 2.66Ghz with GB Rocket Cooler Pro : MSI 975X Platinum PUE BIOS 7.6 : DDR2-667 2x1GB + DDR2-800 2x1GB : MSI 8800 Ultra : 80GB WD Caviar SE : Maxtor 250GB SATA : LiteOn LH-20A1S DVD writer + Samsung SH-W162C DVD writer : MSI Theater 550 Pro : LOGITECH Z-680 : DELL E228WFP 22" LCD : PowerLogic 500W PSU with +12V1&+12V2 @ 32A total

jsmartin22

• Military Class
« Reply #5 on: 30-June-07, 08:51:13 »

I'm having this problem too except I'm just trying to instal a single SATA drive.  Downloaded the nVidia C55+MCP51 SATA RAID Driver from the driver download page for the P6N SLI Platinum.

I am unfamiliar with this particular RAID driver/board, but in some cases you need to have TWO drives before the driver will activate and 'see' the array.  I ran in to this case with the INTEL ICH7D RAID/Matrix storage.

Good luck.
Core2 Q9650; ASUS P5Q Deluxe; 8GB Corsair DDR2-800; 600W Zalman Heatpipe; 3x1 TB Seagate SATA-2 HD; 2x SONY DRU-830A DVD/CD Combo; MSI GeForce 8600 GTS; Samsung 245BW; VISTA-Ultimate 64-bit

littlezz

« Reply #6 on: 30-June-07, 15:20:52 »

Thanks for the quick replies so far.  Here is an update.  First my setup:

MSI P6N SLI Plaitinum Motherboard
Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo 2.4Ghz Processor
4GB G.Skill PC 6400 RAM (4x1GB) @ 800Mhz
MSI nVidia 8600GTS Video card
1 Samsung 500GB 7200RPM SATA HD
ULTRA 600W Power Supply

Now for some additional info/questoins:

1) Do you have to format each time rather than copy the files?  I have an old disk that I am using that was already formatted so I just deleted the files that were on it and extracted the zip files to it.

2) Would Linux some how change the format of the disk from FAT32 if I used it to extract the zip?  The only computer that I had access to with a floppy drive was running Linux.  Never had a problem with copying files on a Linux box and then use them on a Windows box as long as the disk was formatted by Windows, but who knows.

3) Does Windows look for a specific directory structure rather than a specific file at startup?  When I extracted the files the first time, they were copied directly to the disk and the SATARAID folder was not included in the structure.  I then took the SATARAID and STAT_IDE folders out of the 41MB Drvier file and put them on the disk.  I got no indication that the disk was full or there were any issues with writing the disk, but now I get a prompt saying that txtsetup.oem was not found on the disk rather than the normal "please insert disk into drive A:"  Could having the folder vs just putting the files on the disk make a difference?

4) In the process of trying to get this to work I'm noticing an even bigger problem.  Windows will rarely run through the startup process to the point to install the drivers.  The majority of the time, 80-90%, it will hang at the step "Windows is copying files (Windows Executive)..." and I have to reboot several times, as well as change the boot drive to get it to work just one time.  After it works once, it starts freezing again on reboot.

5) Apparently I have to install the drivers, even with one drive.  If I do not hit F6 the setup will run through and get to "Starting Windows" and hang without ever prompting me to set up a partition or specify a drive to install Windows on.  If I hit F6 and get to the page to load drivers, it says that no devices are found and allows me to specify another device.  This is where I am supposed to be able to install the drivers for the board, but haven't been able to yet.

kbone

• Winki
« Reply #7 on: 30-June-07, 16:26:10 »

Thankyou all for your replies :), i kind of chickened out and set up normally on ide..

littlezz

« Reply #8 on: 30-June-07, 17:16:50 »

Another update.

Went into BIOS and verified that the Memory timmings were set to the manufacturer's suggested values.  Bumped up the voltage from 1.9V to 2.0V.  Booted the Windows setup twice without it freezing before the Raid driver installation page.  Setup froze the next two times I tried it.  Bumped it up to 2.1 and it went fine on the first boot.  We'll see if it holds up.

Drove to work so I could make disks using Windows.  Formatted all three disks with FAT (the only option).  Copied the SATA_IDE folder from the large driver package to one disk, copied the SATARAID folder from the large driver package to disk 2, and extracted the files from the SATA driver on msi's site to disk three.  Got home and all three disks gave me a message saying that "'txtsetup.oem' could not be found" and would not install the driver.

Rebooted system and let the installation run through.  Hangs at "Starting Windows"  without prompting me to setup an install drive or partition.  My guess is that it hangs here because it has no where else to go.

Also detached all other CD drives from my system to make sure there were not any confilicts, as well as tried to install from other drives.

Either going to buy a USB floppy drive to boot off of in case my drive is bad or going to try the usb flash next i guess since I can't make a disk.

This is rediculous...

littlezz

« Reply #9 on: 30-June-07, 18:30:15 »

woohoo...one small victory.  got the disk to work.  I'm guessing making the original on Linux is what caused it to not work the first time.  The other times it was because the files were in a directory and not directly on the disk.  System is still hanging at "Starting Windows" though, any thoughts as to what could cause that or should I just start another thread so it won't get confusing?

NovJoe

• Hawk
  • ~DeSTinY~ Destined 2 Be HeRe ^^
« Reply #10 on: 30-June-07, 19:48:20 »

Yes,

You should start another fresh thread to prevent confusion.

HTPC - DVI to HDMI to Panasonic 42" Plasma
Pentium 4 - 2.4GHz (B) on MSI 865PE Neo2
512MB x 2 Kingston @ 333MHz, 80GB Seagate
MSI NX6800Ultra, AcBel 560w PSU, WinXP Pro SP3

MSI Wind Love U100 Netbook - VGA to Sony Bravia LCD
Intel Atom 1.6GHz, 2GB RAM, 80GB HDD, WinXP SP3

Acer Aspire 4741 - HDMI to Sharp 32" LCD
Core i5 M450 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, Win 7 Hm Premium

HP Compaq V3136 - VGA to Sharp 32" LCD
C2D 1.66GHz, 2GB RAM, 80GB HDD, WinXP Media Centre SP3

Gigaworks S750, 7.1 THX Dolby Surround
Altec Lansing XA3501, 5.1 Gaming THX

MSI HQ Forum USB flasher

littlezz

« Reply #11 on: 30-June-07, 21:17:17 »

thought so but it seems as though it will not be neccessary.  Took out 2GB of my ram and the setup finally went through.  Got windows installed, put the 2GB back in and windows is seeing the 3GB it should.  thanks for all the responses.

To the original poster, if you want to try to install the drivers again here is what I found in my experience with this:
1 - Do not use Linux to extract/copy the files.
2 - Do not include the directory when you extract/copy the files
3 - I do not know if formatting is neccessary because I did it with all the disks I used once I got access to a Windows box, but I would do it just in case

Good luck if you decide to try again.

kbone

• Winki
« Reply #12 on: 30-June-07, 21:25:21 »

Thanks for that littlez - im a little reluctant to try again at this stage.
Ive not just used one drive to load up the os, and i have the other drive as separate storage.
I did actually extract all the files on to the disk and didnt include the directory - but still had the same the problem?
Anyway, im glad youre sorted.

Thanks everyone for your input with this, at least one of us has successfully setup their array.
Pages: [1]   Go Up