Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: mega 865, another dead power supply  (Read 5456 times)

injux

mega 865, another dead power supply
« on: 04-August-07, 19:27:02 »

I'm having the same problem as several other posts i've seen.  I've had my mega for a few years now and the power supply died.  I can not find a replacement, no one seems to have them not even msi.  I live in the U.S.  and the customer support is terrible.  It should not be this hard to find a replacement this just goes to show the poor quailty of MSI.  I will never buy another MSI product.  When you release a product you are excpected to support the product and plan ahead, like what if they power supply fails...
Nice barebone, it was great but not worth it in the long run.

If anyone has found a replacement or know of a diffrent PSU that can be used please post....

Thanks.

Stu

• GENERAL OF THE ARMY
  • Birmingham, UK
    • StuOnline.co.uk
Re: mega 865, another dead power supply
« Reply #1 on: 05-August-07, 05:57:08 »
  • Best Answer

• I'm sure we've been over this time and time again, this is always a problem when buying proprietory hardware, such as barebones systems. if a proprietory component such as the mainboard or power supply gives up the ghost, you can't just replace them with anything, it has to be the same part again.

Unfortunately, MSI can't keep unlimited stocks of these proprietory components, and as most of these Mega units will be out of warranty now, seeing as they are now obsolete, I don't think MSI will have many replacement parts left. But you can always try them, you don't know if you don't ask!

How to contact MSI. <<< follow this link to find your nearest MSI office, and give them a call, or submit an online support request at http://support.msi.com.tw

If you cannot find a replacement part for your Mega PC, then I'm afraid if your unit is out of warranty, there is not much you can do about it. Nothing lasts forever nowadays, and this is common to other barebones systems manufacturers, not just MSI, so you won't get anywhere by bashing MSI in this forum and saying "I'll never buy MSI product again".

I'll leave this topic open to suggestions from other users for possible PSU replacement solutions, but quit the bashing, this is after all a user-to-user support forum where we're supposed to help each other

Thank you

:hat tip:
    Former moderator and admin, 2004-2012

tainja

• PRIVATE E-2
    « Reply #2 on: 18-April-10, 18:51:24 »
  • Best Answer

• Albeit said- did you ever find a power supply or comparable replacement?  Mine went last week.

Henry

« Reply #3 on: 18-April-10, 23:47:34 »

tainja, the OP hasn't been back here in nearly 3 years, it's not likely he's going to come back and answer your question. Instead of hijacking an old dead thread start your own new topic.

>> Please read and comply with the Forum Rules <<

CrunchyDoodle

• STAFF SERGEANT
    • A bit of a know-it-all
    Re: another dead power supply - my solution
    « Reply #4 on: 19-April-10, 09:42:16 »
  • Best Answer

• My general solution for dealing with proprietary hardware that fails, and is difficult or impossible to repair or replace, is to salvage what is usefull and move on. I did this with two Shuttle boxes that failed in a similar manner, one after two years, the other after three years of essentially good service. I pulled out what was standard: CPU, memory, hard drives, DVD drives, some fans and a few nice cables. The chassis, power supply, non standard heatsinks and motherboard went into the trash. The salvaged parts when into two somewhat standard MicroATX boxes with carefully chosen motherboards that were certified compatible with these "older" parts. I ended up with two good computers for a small amount of money and had fun doing it. One of the boxes, an Antec NSK 1380 MicroATX Cube case, even looks like a Shuttle. I am aware that the power supply in this box is proprietary too.     :rolleyes:

Bye.     8-))

tainja

• PRIVATE E-2
    « Reply #5 on: 21-April-10, 13:26:48 »
  • Best Answer

• Thanks you guys...I think I found a ps on eBay Australia - I hoping that the seller re-lists as the listing ended before I got to it with no bids.
    Pages: [1]   Go Up