Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Why not utilise your system's redundant processing power for a worthy cause, and join the MSI HQ Red Rockets Folding@Home team?

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MSI RX2600XT - VGA BIOS Issues + Poor Service  (Read 3856 times)

neilshep

MSI RX2600XT - VGA BIOS Issues + Poor Service
« on: 08-August-07, 11:27:54 »

Hi,

Have you seen this?

http://www.legitreviews.com/news/3767/

Thousands of AMD Graphics Cards Recalled From Channel - BIOS Issues
AMD's official graphics card diagnostic and validation software was recently discovered to have a bug that failed to detect defective ATI Radeon HD 2400 and 2600 graphics cards, according to sources at graphics card makers. Channel vendors pointed out the problem with the cards was due to an error in the BIOS application process.

The issue was not only encountered by small makers, Asustek Computer, Micro-Star International (MSI) and Gigabyte Technology all experienced the problem too, noted the sources. Although the problem can be easily solved by reapplying the BIOS, because AMD's software did not detect the defect before shipping, the cards will now need to be returned to the makers to be restored. One first-tier maker has recalled over 20,000-30,000 units already, noted the sources.

- I'm wondering if I have one of these dodgy cards. The card seems to run okay but I cant get it to do hardware acceleration of video content on the card, it crashes PowerDVDUltra using the XBOX 360HD (works if I switch off hardware acceleration) and it cant run 3DMark, crashes computer. I have a Vista Ultimate machine whose set-up is more than adequate to run HD content.

I've tried dealing with both MSI's support service and Cyberlink's and had little assitance, there response has been slow and its clear they havent read the steps I've already taken. It also appears that they have released a brand new card on the market without being able to support updating the VGA Bios if you use Vista. It's not as if Vista is that new anymore!! I work for MS and will be looking at how we allowed a Vista certified logo to be used on the box.

I'm currenlty trying to get them to send through the VGA Bios myself so that I can do it.

Any suggestions? I've spent hours unloading all the drivers, installing the latest motherboard drivers, Catalyst software and drivers, etc.

Won't be buying MSI again I dont think.

Neil

Richard

• nForce & GeForce Guru
  • Power Edition
Re: MSI RX2600XT - VGA BIOS Issues + Poor Service
« Reply #1 on: 08-August-07, 16:06:52 »

Neil,

The original BIOS design with the flaw was AMD not MSI, so how does you not buying MSI again solve the problem with AMD producing a BIOS with a bug in it?

Richard
Richard J. Gentil, Pres.
Custom Computers of Naples, Inc.

LANPARTY nF4 SLI-DR
Athlon64 3700+ Sandy
(o/c'd 2.8Ghz)
Zalman CNPS9500LED
2-1Gb Mushkin Extreme PC-4000 (Slots 2 & 4)
(o/c'd 510Mhz)
2 x MSI NX6800GT-T2D256 (o/c'd Stock)
X-Mystique 7.1 GOLD - Dolby Digital Live
2-WD Raptors Raid 0
(16k Stripe)
NEC 16 Dual Layer DVD+/-RW
Logitech Z-680 500W Dolby Digital DTS THX 5.1
Logitech MX1000 Laser Mouse
Saitek Eclipse Keyboard

neilshep

« Reply #2 on: 08-August-07, 16:59:31 »

Reasons for me not wanting to buy from MSI again:

1. There was no notification of the problem on their website, anywhere, I had to find it out myself. Bad news should be given upfront and as quickly as possible, they dont need to put it on their homepage but awknowledging the problem exists they should have done.
2. The email responses I've had from customer support have been slow and substandard.
3. The update utility they have released to be able to update the VGA Bios works on old versions of Windows and not Vista. Vista isint new, they have a Vista certified logo on the box, if they dont fully support it they shouldnt have that logo.

Aaron

• HydroGen
  • BOOST!
« Reply #3 on: 08-August-07, 18:04:50 »

If it was a Saphire card, a PowerColour card, or any other make, they would still have the same problem.

The HARDWARE is certified for Vista, NOT the SOFTWARE.

It's just bundled software, don't expect miracles out of it. I'm sure you have a machine running XP and if you know the M$ OS so well, you would be smart enough to know that it sucks.

No flasher for VGA cards work in Vista anyway, so you would be screwed wether MSI Live Update worked or not.

If you want to fix the issues, do either of these 3 things:

1) RMA VGA card.
2) Install card in a comp with XP and reflash the BIOS.
3) Install XP in your own machine and reflash the BIOS.

Good luck.
Refrain from having to solve most of your problems by not creating them in the first place.

DDR3 Memory Standards: Blurry Lines
Integrated Memory Controllers (IMC)
Intel EIST and Processor C-states
Overclock Database 2.0

neilshep

« Reply #4 on: 08-August-07, 18:20:16 »

Taking each of your points in turn.

- If it was a Saphire card, a PowerColour card, or any other make, they would still have the same problem.
[Yes, that is correct, I would hope though that on their sites they would have mentioned that there is a potential hardware issue and here are the steps to resolve it, or the person to contact]

- The HARDWARE is certified for Vista, NOT the SOFTWARE.
[I dont think that this is the case, I work for MS and I'm already looking into how our partners get Vista certified logos on their packaging. If I'm buying a video card with a vista log on it, I'm expecting the hardware and software to have been tested on it. I'm not expecting the hardware to be okay but the software to only work with Dos or Windows 3.11]

- It's just bundled software, don't expect miracles out of it. I'm sure you have a machine running XP and if you know the M$ OS so well, you would be smart enough to know that it sucks.
[I dont expect miracles, I expect it to do what it says on the packet, if not its an issue for the trades description act in the UK. I've used every version of MS OS, Vista does not suck.]

- No flasher for VGA cards work in Vista anyway, so you would be screwed wether MSI Live Update worked or not.
[I used the ASUS Motherboard Flash Utility on Vista yesterday, worked fine. Why would it be more complicated to write a flash utility for the graphics card?]

- If you want to fix the issues, do either of these 3 things:

1) RMA VGA card.
[RMA, no idea what that means, I'm going to return it.]
2) Install card in a comp with XP and reflash the BIOS.
[Pain in the arse but an option I have considered, I dont have an old XP machine lying around at home.]
[No thanks, reinstalling an old OS just because my video card doesnt work, doesnt really make much sense, Vista Ultimate I use as my Media Centre box]

Aaron

• HydroGen
  • BOOST!
« Reply #5 on: 08-August-07, 18:42:27 »

[I dont expect miracles, I expect it to do what it says on the packet, if not its an issue for the trades description act in the UK. I've used every version of MS OS, Vista does not suck.]

I do believe it has an asterix next to the Live Update logo. If you look in the bottom right hand connor, it says, "exludes Windows Vista". It was on my K9A Platinum at least.

[I used the ASUS Motherboard Flash Utility on Vista yesterday, worked fine. Why would it be more complicated to write a flash utility for the graphics card?]

But I do believe we are on about a VGA card, not mainboards, or am I missing something?

ASUS don't write the flashers, AWARD and AMI do. Same for the 2600XT card, if you want a flasher for it, ask AMD, not MSI.

[RMA, no idea what that means, I'm going to return it.]

RMA, return, replacement, refund, all the same thing.

[Pain in the arse but an option I have considered, I dont have an old XP machine lying around at home.]

There's surely a local computer store.

[No thanks, reinstalling an old OS just because my video card doesnt work, doesnt really make much sense, Vista Ultimate I use as my Media Centre box]

And? Multi boot XP and Vista, do all your flashing, then remove the XP installation and erase it from the boot sector.

BTW: No one from MSI comes here, we are all users, just like you. So finish with the bashing already.

Thank you.

EDIT: http://www.microsoft.com/canada/windows/products/windowsvista/lookforthelogo/default.aspx

Software and devices that are Certified for Windows Vista™ have passed rigorous testing to ensure ease-of-use, better performance, and enhanced security, which means you'll get a superior experience.

MSI doesn't advertise Live Update being certified anywhere. The HARDWARE is certified like I previously stated.

Products with these logos have been tested to ensure they will work with Windows Vista™, so you know they will be compatible, reliable, and more secure.

Look for the Logo on the following Certified for Windows Vista™ Devices:
Digital cameras and printers
Monitors and displays
Digital picture frames
Digital video cameras
MP3 players
Gaming
Graphics cards
TV and movies
TV Tuners
Remote controls
Webcams
Keyboards
Mice

Is my point proven now?
« Last Edit: 08-August-07, 18:47:49 by AaronYuri »
Refrain from having to solve most of your problems by not creating them in the first place.

Overclock Database 2.0

neilshep

« Reply #6 on: 08-August-07, 20:36:03 »

There are no asterix on my box next to the live update logo. It even calls out on the " Features" on the box seperatly that it is "Certified for Windows Vista".

Thanks for putting up that URL for Vista Hardware, proves my point exactly:

"Installs easily and can automatically download device driver software. " - Well it doesnt do that.

I'm afraid I dont except your point on the items below, not entirely sure you understand mine. I could spend time answering this or I could go watch CSI:NY, I'm going to do the latter.

Thanks for being interested and I wish you all the best with your MSI purchases in the future.

Aaron

• HydroGen
  • BOOST!
« Reply #7 on: 09-August-07, 00:55:58 »

"Installs easily and can automatically download device driver software. " - Well it doesnt do that.

AMD make the drivers, the flashers and anything else!

MSI just slap their logo on it...

I can't be bothered to argue anymore.

Overclock Database 2.0

elessarGObonzo

« Reply #8 on: 04-October-07, 05:59:44 »

are we gonna get an update for the 2600 cards soon or are we all supposed to return them for the new bios? I'm gonna be :censored:ed, moreso than now if that's the case.
what's the word on the files you're(neilshep) compiling now?
please give good news.

Ex Forum User 3

• Hawk
« Reply #9 on: 04-October-07, 11:13:07 »

Hahaha, Neil you are so funny, and yes you work for Microsoft (I checked)....so let me ask you a question....

All microsoft products are bug-free right??
Microsoft gives all the support a client needs after buying the product right??

Please complain to Billy why his OS'ses aren't backwards compatible...then come back and try bashing again over something that isn't MSI's fault :lol_anim:

Also, this is a user-to-user forum, we don't how this should be handled, please contact MSI directly if you have this problem.

Ex Forum User 3

• Hawk
« Reply #10 on: 04-October-07, 11:20:41 »

BTW, I digged a bit deeper into the matter, and the cards that have this problem where intended for System-builders, not End-users.
Also it's about 20000-30000 cards.
In other words, these are supposted to be OEM cards and not retail cards.
That is why you don't find information on the MSI website, as MSI doesn't support those cards, the OEM's do.

Fredrik

• Hawk
  • There's always a risk.
« Reply #11 on: 04-October-07, 17:40:10 »

Good point, Bas! Immediately when reading the first post I wanted to start fixing.  :smile:

Having to set hardware acceleration down is probably a driver issue, (sound driver in particular), or a conflict between two auto-starting programs, but please provide some more info. on your system, Neil, including the max. ampères provided by your PSU.

The motherboard drivers, need they be installed?

Ex Forum User 3

• Hawk
« Reply #12 on: 04-October-07, 22:14:18 »

Fredrik, just stop helping....

This guy is working for Microsoft....
He thinks Vista is cool and up-to-date....

There is no point in helping him....

Just forget it...we know M$ better then he does :lol_anim:

He should ask Billy :agrees:

Aaron

• HydroGen
  • BOOST!
« Reply #13 on: 04-October-07, 22:58:23 »

Fredreik, you are too kind for your own good. :lol_anim:

Bas, I believe Bill can't answer that now, you would have to ask Steve. :yes: :bonk:

Or maybe Neil can shed some light on the issue? :idea:

Overclock Database 2.0

Fredrik

• Hawk
  • There's always a risk.
« Reply #14 on: 04-October-07, 23:05:37 »

Thanks Aaron! I think you are on the same branch of the tree.

People have their sacred cows. And their favourite things to hate. And love what they have done themselves. You and I are no different. But if one wants to solve something or help a stranger out one must bury all of that. At least for a while.  :smile:
Pages: [1]   Go Up