what components, or operations may be affected if the EC is not reset properly.
Well, there are a wide range of symptoms:
- no-boot/no P.O.S.T. situations
- loss of peripheral functions (no audio, no WLAN, no LAN, no USB Functionality, no webcam etc.)
- features accessible via the FN-Buttons do not function properly or not at all (volume, screen dimming, webcam, WLAN on/off etc.)
- problems with fan regulation (e.g. fan always running @100%)
- unexpected system behaviour
As the EC Reset is a very simply and non-intrusive procedure, it is probably not very useful to look at the symptoms and make list about them. An EC Reset should simply be done after every BIOS Flash for prophylactic reasons to take care of potential misconfigurations regarding the EC. This eliminates the problem at its potential cause. All the symptoms above can be caused by other things as well and cannot be entirely related to the Embedded Controller alone.