Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This is a User-to-User community forum run by MSI users for MSI users. If you need to contact MSI directly see: How to contact MSI

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: P45 Neo-F (MS-7519) - Bios 1.3 - incompatible with latest Nvidia drivers  (Read 35478 times)

colonel_butt

• Winki

I have discovered this. Version 1.2 works fine for me.
I know this has been noticed by a few other people.
anyone else had this problem ? or alternativelty don't have this problem with 1.3 ?

kadams4458

• Winki

*Raises hand*

It's happened to me.

Hey, I wonder if this thread might fit better in the BIOS section. Maybe?

Just to document as much as possible, I'm running XP 32-bit, and with BIOS version 1.3 on the P45 Neo-F Version 1.0 the computer couldn't boot after installing newer Nvidia drivers. The graphics card in my case is a reference design 8800 GTS 512 (G92). Flashing the BIOS to 1.2 made everything work as it should.

It might be helpful if anyone that has encountered this problem could list some basic system specs, so that everyone can get an idea of exactly what Nvidia cards are effected by the 1.3 BIOS. I'd like to suggest a little quote, edit, and paste kind of response so we can see if there are any trends. Personally I'd love to know exactly what hardware triggers this issue. Here's mine:

Operating System: Windows XP 32-bit SP2
Video card: Zotac 8800 GTS 512
CPU: Q6600
Memory: Corsair Dominator DDR2 1066
HDD: Single Seagate 7200.11 500GB SATA 3.0
-Desktop system-

MSI P45 Neo-F w/BIOS 1.2
Intel Q6600 G0
Corsair Dominator 4GB DDR2-1066 (2X2GB)
Zotac 8800 GTS 512
Seagate ST3500320AS SATA 3.0 500GB
LG GSA-H55L PATA RW-DVD
Corsair TX650

Svet

• T9246ED, Бивша комета
  • Administrator
    • MSI BIOS/EC-FW Mods

Have you done >>Clear CMOS Guide<< with power cord removed and 'LOAD BIOS OPTIMIZED DEFAULTS" after BIOS update?
Have you done new fresh OS installation after BIOS update?
Have you tried different VGA drivers? {Including latest Beta available from Nvidia web?}

colonel_butt

• Winki

Have you done >>Clear CMOS Guide<< with power cord removed and 'LOAD BIOS OPTIMIZED DEFAULTS" after BIOS update?
Have you tried different VGA drivers? {Including latest Beta available from Nvidia web?}

1 .yes - cleared cmos
2. no fresh OS install. why would this be necessary ?
3. Yes, loads of different drivers

After hours of trying, everything started to work fine when I went back to 1.2

Svet

• T9246ED, Бивша комета
  • Administrator
    • MSI BIOS/EC-FW Mods

"2. no fresh OS install. why would this be necessary ?"

In same cases, BIOS update can require that.
Do a new fresh installation{you can make a backup your boot partition with ghost or similar to restore it later if doesn't work}, and let us know how it goes.

Del UK

• Del UK
  • Xpower
    • http://www.msi.com.tw/

Had similar bug with bios 1.7 on P965 Platinum mainboard.....nvidia cards would not boot. (1.8 worked, but used 1.6 for long time rather than 1.7)

Stick with earlier version.

Did you have an issue that made you update to later bios?

X-((
Main system
MSI P45 FR3 V1, Q9550 with Corsair H50, Corsair TX 650, Nvidia 650 ti boost, 8Gb DDR2 Corsair XMS2, onboard NIC/Audio, WD 250 with Synapse  & 500 RE drives, Opti Bluray, Enermax batwing 120's. Win 7 Pro 64bit

kadams4458

• Winki

Yes, CMOS was cleared upon initial installation of motherboard prior to first boot and after each flash with power cord removed, and optimized defaults were selected as well.

Yes, a fresh load of the OS was performed after each flash.

Yes, I tried every Nvidia driver under the sun. The only version that functioned for me was the one that came on the disc with the card - version 169.06.

I'd also like to note that my board came with BIOS version 1.3 on it from the factory, so there was no upgrading on my part to begin with. By flashing to version 1.2, I haven't noticed any problems that didn't exist with 1.3, with the exception that I'm actually able to make use of my video card with a decent driver.

MSI has provided me with a copy of 4.2 beta to try out. I might try it, since I can't bump up memory speed with version 1.2, so the 1066 memory is going to waste at this time. The 4.2 beta may be okay, so I'll probably try it out shortly.

« Last Edit: 23-July-08, 05:02:33 by kadams4458 »
-Desktop system-

MSI P45 Neo-F w/BIOS 1.2
Intel Q6600 G0
Zotac 8800 GTS 512
LG GSA-H55L PATA RW-DVD
Corsair TX650

Svet

• T9246ED, Бивша комета
  • Administrator
    • MSI BIOS/EC-FW Mods

What VGA you use?

kadams4458

• Winki

What VGA you use?

Oops, I have yet to set up a signature. :)

I posted it earlier - I'm using a single 8800 GTS 512 pure vanilla card. This really is a BIOS issue... Really. LOL!
-Desktop system-

MSI P45 Neo-F w/BIOS 1.2
Intel Q6600 G0
Zotac 8800 GTS 512
LG GSA-H55L PATA RW-DVD
Corsair TX650

Svet

• T9246ED, Бивша комета
  • Administrator
    • MSI BIOS/EC-FW Mods

Oops, I have yet to set up a signature. :)

I posted it earlier - I'm using a single 8800 GTS 512 pure vanilla card. This really is a BIOS issue... Really. LOL!

"I posted it earlier - I'm using a single 8800 GTS 512 pure vanilla card. "

Yes saw it, but i was think-ed that you are topic starter. Also yes make a signature to be visible all the time.

"This really is a BIOS issue... Really. LOL!"

Yep, most probably.

"MSI has provided me with a copy of 4.2 beta to try out. I might try it, since I can't bump up memory speed with version 1.2, so the 1066 memory is going to waste at this time. The 4.2 beta may be okay, so I'll probably try it out shortly."

How is named? 1.42 or?

kadams4458

• Winki

Yes saw it, but i was think-ed that you are topic starter. Also yes make a signature to be visible all the time.

Nope, not me. What clued both of us in to it being a bios issue was when he responded to a thread of mine and stated he had similar problems with 1.3, but they vanished once he flashed 1.2 and made a few other changes. What seals the deal as a BIOS issue is that he's running Vista and I'm running XP, so I we sort of theorized that it was a low level issue and independent of the OS. I tried flashing to 1.2 and poof! - No more locking system after installing new NVidia drivers. I've installed several now, and they all work with 1.2.

How is named? 1.42 or?

Ugh. I wasn't thinking straight. It's 1.42, not 4.2. See what I get for trying to resolve this computer issue before I have to leave on vacation? Sleep deprivation!  ;D
-Desktop system-

MSI P45 Neo-F w/BIOS 1.2
Intel Q6600 G0
Zotac 8800 GTS 512
LG GSA-H55L PATA RW-DVD
Corsair TX650

Svet

• T9246ED, Бивша комета
  • Administrator
    • MSI BIOS/EC-FW Mods

Go for it and let us know how it goes :)

kadams4458

• Winki

Go for it and let us know how it goes :)

Will do. I'll tackle it as soon as the coffee kicks in and I can see straight. I'll do my best to post some results within the next few hours.
-Desktop system-

MSI P45 Neo-F w/BIOS 1.2
Intel Q6600 G0
Zotac 8800 GTS 512
LG GSA-H55L PATA RW-DVD
Corsair TX650

kadams4458

• Winki

Well, I've tried out the 1.42 beta, and the NVidia issue doesn't seem to exist. No troubles to report at all on that front. Good sign, eh?

Looking around in setup, I don't see much in the way of obvious changes, but I do see that my Corsair Memory SPD actually shows information besides gobbledygook. Everything right down to the model number is reported properly, and the only thing missing is the voltage field. Whether the board supplies the proper voltage or not by default, I don't know. I set it manually to 2.1 volts along with timings.

I do see an issue now with system information. BIOS is reporting my CPU temp at any obviously way-too-low level to be realistic. System temp shows 26 degrees while CPU temp is reported as 9 degrees. Uhm... I don't think so. Seems like MSI breaks one feature every time they fix another. At least they're trying.  :biggthumbsup:
-Desktop system-

MSI P45 Neo-F w/BIOS 1.2
Intel Q6600 G0
Zotac 8800 GTS 512
LG GSA-H55L PATA RW-DVD
Corsair TX650

colonel_butt

• Winki

Had similar bug with bios 1.7 on P965 Platinum mainboard.....nvidia cards would not boot. (1.8 worked, but used 1.6 for long time rather than 1.7)

Stick with earlier version.

Did you have an issue that made you update to later bios?

X-((

good to see we have new beta to try (1.42)

my main issue for upgrading was to use native sata drivers, the 1.1 bios has no option for AHCI.
1.3 did and in fact the vista x64 sata drivers worked fine with my new samsung 750gb sata under the 1.3 bios.

However the nvidia driver not working was a greater issue as I'm a game player ....

Svet

• T9246ED, Бивша комета
  • Administrator
    • MSI BIOS/EC-FW Mods

shilent

• Neo

I'm also having problems with my board and would like to try this new BIOS.  Although I have the Neo3-FR, they all use the same BIOS yes?  Where can I download this 1.42 BIOS?

Svet

• T9246ED, Бивша комета
  • Administrator
    • MSI BIOS/EC-FW Mods

@shilent
Read >>Posting Guide<< then open new own topic and explain the issue which you have there.

jclangiu

• Neo

Wow...I wish I would have found this thread before I bought a new graphics card.  I tried everything and eventually deduced that the card was fried.  Now I know otherwise. 
I went ahead and rolled back the bios to 1.2 as suggested and all of my cards work again, both the new and old one.

I am having an issue with my memory reading correctly.  It was fine with the 1.3 bios, but not with the 1.2.

Where can I get a copy of the 1.42 beta bios I read about here?  I would like to try it out to see if it cures both of my issues.
Thanks in advance.

Joe

P.S.

Incidentally, I may have isolated the problem somewhat.
On bios 1.3, the machine would lock up as described with the following cards:

BFG 8800 GT
Zodiac 9800 GTX

However the following worked perfectly fine:

EVGA 8600 GT

Off the top of my head, the top two are PCIE 2.0 and the bottom is 1.0.  All tests were done using the latest drivers Nvidia provided.

« Last Edit: 25-July-08, 05:04:17 by jclangiu »
* MSI P45 Neo-F
* Intel Core 2 Duo E8500
* 4 GB G-Skill DDR2 PC 1066
* ZOTAC GeForce 9800 GTX (512MB 256-bit GDDR3)

Svet

• T9246ED, Бивша комета
  • Administrator
    • MSI BIOS/EC-FW Mods

Wow...I wish I would have found this thread before I bought a new graphics card.  I tried everything and eventually deduced that the card was fried.  Now I know otherwise. 
I went ahead and rolled back the bios to 1.2 as suggested and all of my cards work again, both the new and old one.

I am having an issue with my memory reading correctly.  It was fine with the 1.3 bios, but not with the 1.2.

Where can I get a copy of the 1.42 beta bios I read about here?  I would like to try it out to see if it cures both of my issues.
Thanks in advance.

Joe

P.S.

Incidentally, I may have isolated the problem somewhat.
On bios 1.3, the machine would lock up as described with the following cards:

BFG 8800 GT
Zodiac 9800 GTX

However the following worked perfectly fine:

EVGA 8600 GT

Off the top of my head, the top two are PCIE 2.0 and the bottom is 1.0.  All tests were done using the latest drivers Nvidia provided.

Contact to MSI Tech here: http://ocss.msi.com.tw/ they will send you the BIOS which you need.

colonel_butt

• Winki

Contact to MSI Tech here: http://ocss.msi.com.tw/ they will send you the BIOS which you need.

many thx. i have registered for the beta bios with MSI. hopefully a full release will be out soon.

Pixaloop

• Neo

*Raises hand*

I have this issue as well. I will be flashing my BIOS to 1.2 as soon as I post this reply.  :shocked:

the system forces a "Standard VGA" in the device manager.  Dislikes my 8800GT....or the drivers.
-Desktop system-

MSI P45 Neo-F w/BIOS 1.5
Intel E6600
Crucal 2GB Ballistix Tracers DDR2-800 (2X1GB)
Crucal 2GB Ballistix DDR2-1066(2X1GB)
XFX 8800 GT 512
WD 640 GB SATA
Seagate 160GB SATA
HP SATA RW-DVD
Antec Quattro 850W
Zalman 9700 LED
Antec Twelve Hundred

kadams4458

• Winki

I just love being a pioneer.  :rolleyes:

Okay, the 1.42 beta may or may not have a problem more serious than incorrect CPU temp reporting. I haven't nailed it down yet, but I am getting random lock-ups that I didn't see with 1.2, though in all fairness, I didn't run 1.2 for very long. The thing is, 1.42 beta is locking up when the computer is idle - sometimes it locks up five minutes after booting to the desktop, sometimes it runs for a couple of hours.

Ugh. I'll try tweaking some things to see if I can get it working before I give up and go back to 1.2.

By the way, I noticed the post about PCIe 2.0 cards possibly being the problem. Could be on to something there. At least it seems as if the problem now is not limited to cards with the G92 core.
-Desktop system-

MSI P45 Neo-F w/BIOS 1.2
Intel Q6600 G0
Zotac 8800 GTS 512
LG GSA-H55L PATA RW-DVD
Corsair TX650

shilent

• Neo

I just love being a pioneer.  :rolleyes:

Okay, the 1.42 beta may or may not have a problem more serious than incorrect CPU temp reporting. I haven't nailed it down yet, but I am getting random lock-ups that I didn't see with 1.2, though in all fairness, I didn't run 1.2 for very long. The thing is, 1.42 beta is locking up when the computer is idle - sometimes it locks up five minutes after booting to the desktop, sometimes it runs for a couple of hours.

Ugh. I'll try tweaking some things to see if I can get it working before I give up and go back to 1.2.

By the way, I noticed the post about PCIe 2.0 cards possibly being the problem. Could be on to something there. At least it seems as if the problem now is not limited to cards with the G92 core.

I'm having the exact same problem, but with the 1.3 BIOS (I haven't tried the 1.42 beta).  The lock ups are completely random and can happen anywhere between 1 minute and 5+ hours.  I switched to 1.2 and so far for the past 2 days, it hasn't froze since ::crosses fingers::

Edit:  I have a 8800GT so maybe it is a PCIe 2.0 problem.
« Last Edit: 26-July-08, 16:10:34 by shilent »

Svet

• T9246ED, Бивша комета
  • Administrator
    • MSI BIOS/EC-FW Mods

I'm having the exact same problem, but with the 1.3 BIOS (I haven't tried the 1.42 beta).  The lock ups are completely random and can happen anywhere between 1 minute and 5+ hours.  I switched to 1.2 and so far for the past 2 days, it hasn't froze since ::crosses fingers::

Edit:  I have a 8800GT so maybe it is a PCIe 2.0 problem.

That BIOS{"I haven't tried the 1.42 beta"} is not for you, you have different board which use different BIOS.

Pixaloop

• Neo

BIOS 1.2 has been running pretty solid for me. I havent had any lockups, the system comes out of sleep nicely.  I am pleased.  The world is beautiful.  Now, we wait for Nehalem.  :biggthumbsup:
« Last Edit: 29-July-08, 17:40:41 by Pixaloop »
-Desktop system-

MSI P45 Neo-F w/BIOS 1.5
Intel E6600
Crucal 2GB Ballistix Tracers DDR2-800 (2X1GB)
Crucal 2GB Ballistix DDR2-1066(2X1GB)
XFX 8800 GT 512
WD 640 GB SATA
Seagate 160GB SATA
HP SATA RW-DVD
Antec Quattro 850W
Zalman 9700 LED
Antec Twelve Hundred

kadams4458

• Winki

Well, I gave up on 1.42 beta and have flashed bacl to version 1.2. Thankfully, 1.2 seems to work pretty well so long as I don't attempt to bump up the speed of the memory that I know can perform at 1066 on my abit board.

...Still, for a relatively budget board, the P45 Neo-F seems decent enough. I can live with it until I get my abit board swapped out, and then this Neo-F should work just fine in my wife's computer.
-Desktop system-

MSI P45 Neo-F w/BIOS 1.2
Intel Q6600 G0
Zotac 8800 GTS 512
LG GSA-H55L PATA RW-DVD
Corsair TX650

colonel_butt

• Winki

1.2 works mostly fine for me.

1. counterstrike source is mostly stable, but has locked up on one occasion which it never did before with my previous gigabyte 965 board
2. Quake Wars: Enemy territory plays for 5 mins and locks up. this never happend before
3. Crysis is ok for extended periods, but does lock up occasionally.

It just feels less reliable then my previous board which is a shame. i only really upgraded to get 4 cpu core (as I got a Q9300 chip cheap).
Also I love quake wars :(

kadams4458

• Winki

1.2 works mostly fine for me.

1. counterstrike source is mostly stable, but has locked up on one occasion which it never did before with my previous gigabyte 965 board
2. Quake Wars: Enemy territory plays for 5 mins and locks up. this never happend before
3. Crysis is ok for extended periods, but does lock up occasionally.

It just feels less reliable then my previous board which is a shame. i only really upgraded to get 4 cpu core (as I got a Q9300 chip cheap).
Also I love quake wars :(

I know how you feel. This board isn't solid by any means, and the overclocking features are pretty well pointless with the current BIOS versions, but it's also a fairly new chipset. Hopefully MSI gets the BIOS together for these boards, but I have a sinking feeling that this board, like all P45 boards, is mostly a temporary hold-over until Nehalem arrives. Once Nehalem is out, I have a bad feeling that any P45 issues will get bumped off the priority list completely, and any unsolved issues may become our permanent problem.  As someone that only builds or upgrades my personal systems every three years or so, I hope that MSI pulls through for us, and at least releases a BIOS update that makes the board stable without overclocking. I don't want to be stuck telling my wife that I'm sorry I purchased an MSI board every time her computer craps out for the next few years.

... Am I the only one thinking at this point that I should have just stuck with a P35 board? :)
-Desktop system-

MSI P45 Neo-F w/BIOS 1.2
Intel Q6600 G0
Zotac 8800 GTS 512
LG GSA-H55L PATA RW-DVD
Corsair TX650

Spa_m

• Neo

MSI P43 Neo
Palit GeForce 9600GSO Sonic PCIEx16 384Mb DDR3 192 bit 2DVI DirectX10 RTL
Win XP SP3 Rus

Bios 1.1 - OK
Bios 1.2 - OK

Bios 1.3 (current live update)-troubles.
Description:
1) Bios 1.3
 Clear WinXP SP3 rus.
 Installing FeForce driver 175.xx or 177.xx
 Display is blinking (Dos mode) and computer buzz (NumLock, CapsLock are working)
 Reboot - buzz in screen "Windows XP" with creeping line (creeping line freeze)
 Safe mode - uninstall detonator. reboot - everything is OK (without detonator)

2) Bios 1.1
 Clear Windows XP SP3 rus
 Detonator 175 or 177 (install is easy)
 with drivers P43 Neo (intel, Ac97, Network) or without this drivers.

Live Update or Dos flash - flash Bios 1.3
 Reboot - buzz in screen "Windows XP" with creeping line (creeping line freeze)

Safe mode - uninstall detonator. reboot - everything is OK (without detonator)

If I reflashing Bios 1.1 or 1.2 - everything is OK without uninstall detonator.

Bios P43 and P45 are similair.

P.S. If you have bios 1.42, you can upload it on rapinshare (for example)
ocss.msi.com.tw - slowly.
(I am sorry for my English)
« Last Edit: 01-August-08, 12:21:15 by Spa_m »

Spa_m

• Neo

There exist
1.42, 1.44 and 1.45.
I'll test it in the evening

Spa_m

• Neo

1.45 - unstable :(.
1.2 - stable version.