Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: G33M BIOS 1.3 AHCI Mode doesn't see drives in BIOS  (Read 6281 times)

maggotspawn

• SERGEANT
    • www.agitprop666.com

I'm a happy owner of an MSI G33M. I just upgraded to BIOS v.1.3, which cured a problem with S3 sleep.  :biggthumbsup:
Still have a problem with the BIOS seeing the SATA 2 drives if I switch from IDE to AHCI mode though
When I installed Windows XP Pro SP2 the PC didn't load the AHCI drivers from my floppy drive, so I've been running in IDE mode.
I know there are several work arounds for enabling AHCI in the OS, but the BIOS doesn't see the drives when I switch from IDE mode.
Any ideas?  :confused2:
MSI G33M, BIOS version 1.3
Intel Q6600 Quadcore G0 stepping, OC'd to 3.0 GHz
4 GB Mushkin DDR2 800
160 GB Western Digital SATA II HD
400 GB Western Digital SATA II HD
Seasonic S-12 430 PSU
Lite-On DVD Burner
Windows XP Pro SP2

Jack

• Ex Forum moderator
  • GENERAL OF THE ARMY
    • A user initiative by MSI fanatics to support all other MSI product users
« Reply #1 on: 16-August-08, 01:23:34 »

As soon as you set the Intel Controller to AHCI Mode, all drives attached to these ports should be listed in "AHCI Devices Group" [->Integrated Peripherals -> On-Chip ATA Devices -> AHCI Devices Group]

maggotspawn

• SERGEANT
    • www.agitprop666.com
« Reply #2 on: 16-August-08, 01:37:18 »

As soon as you set the Intel Controller to AHCI Mode, all drives attached to these ports should be listed in "AHCI Devices Group" [->Integrated Peripherals -> On-Chip ATA Devices -> AHCI Devices Group]

By setting the Intel Controller to AHCI Mode, do you mean updating the Intel Controller drivers to AHCI ones? I haven't tried updating the drivers yet with the new BIOS. It's just that when I select AHCI in the BIOS, the drives aren't listed under AHCI Devices Group.
4 GB Mushkin DDR2 800
Seasonic S-12 430 PSU
Lite-On DVD Burner
Windows XP Pro SP2

nightmare99

• CAPTAIN
« Reply #3 on: 16-August-08, 08:26:46 »

Which version of G33M do you have?  If it is not an R version then AHCI would only be supported under Vista.
P35 Platinum v1.1 BIOS v1.9
Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 Step @ 3.0Ghz 
4x 1GB Elixir PC-5300 DDR2 667Mhz
Gigabyte 8800GT 512MB PCI Express
Maxtor 320GB SATA 300 AHCI
Maxtor 200GB SATA 300 AHCI
LiteOn 16x DVDRW SATA
Silverstone TJ-06 Case
X-Pro 500W PSU
Vista Ultimate x64 SP1 (Running well!)

maggotspawn

• SERGEANT
    • www.agitprop666.com
« Reply #4 on: 16-August-08, 12:27:24 »

Just the plain old G33M. Why isn't AHCI supported under XP? I have XP AHCI drivers.
AHCI is selectable in the BIOS.
4 GB Mushkin DDR2 800
Seasonic S-12 430 PSU
Lite-On DVD Burner
Windows XP Pro SP2

Jack

• Ex Forum moderator
  • GENERAL OF THE ARMY
    • A user initiative by MSI fanatics to support all other MSI product users
« Reply #5 on: 16-August-08, 12:44:15 »

Let's start from scratch:

If you haven't done so already after updating your BIOS, please clear CMOS with main A/C power cable removed from PSU and load "Optimized Defaults" in BIOS after restarting the system (do not switch to AHCI Mode yet).

Tell us what kind of drives are connected to the system and make sure the drives in Question are connected to the Intel ICH9 SATA ports.

Now, there are a couple of locations were the BIOS can list the drives attached to your system:

1) POST Screen (Disable the BOOT LOGO in BIOS to see it properly
2) In BIOS: -> Standard CMOS Features
3) In BIOS: -> Integrated Peripherals -> On-Chip ATA Devices -> AHCI Devices Group
4) In BIOS: -> Advanced BIOS Features -> Boot Sequence
5) BIOS Boot Menu: Press F11 during POST to access it

Check each of these location for your drives when the system is in IDE mode and also when the system is in AHCI mode and tell us what you see.

but the BIOS doesn't see the drives when I switch from IDE mode.

The actual question is:  Are you 100% sure that your drives appear in none of the locations listed above when you switch to AHCI mode?

maggotspawn

• SERGEANT
    • www.agitprop666.com
« Reply #6 on: 16-August-08, 12:56:20 »

Let's start from scratch:

If you haven't done so already after updating your BIOS, please clear CMOS with main A/C power cable removed from PSU and load "Optimized Defaults" in BIOS after restarting the system (do not switch to AHCI Mode yet).

Tell us what kind of drives are connected to the system and make sure the drives in Question are connected to the Intel ICH9 SATA ports.

Now, there are a couple of locations were the BIOS can list the drives attached to your system:

1) POST Screen (Disable the BOOT LOGO in BIOS to see it properly
2) In BIOS: -> Standard CMOS Features
3) In BIOS: -> Integrated Peripherals -> On-Chip ATA Devices -> AHCI Devices Group
4) In BIOS: -> Advanced BIOS Features -> Boot Sequence
5) BIOS Boot Menu: Press F11 during POST to access it

Check each of these location for your drives when the system is in IDE mode and also when the system is in AHCI mode and tell us what you see.

The actual question is:  Are you 100% sure that your drives appear in none of the locations listed above when you switch to AHCI mode?
I have two Western Digital SATA 3.0GB/s  harddrives. They're definitely hooked up to the Intel ports. It definitely doesn't see the drives under AHCI Devices Group when switched to AHCI. This was before the BIOS update. I'll clear the CMOS today, check the the drives in the BIOS also and get back to you.
« Last Edit: 16-August-08, 20:01:10 by maggotspawn »
4 GB Mushkin DDR2 800
Seasonic S-12 430 PSU
Lite-On DVD Burner
Windows XP Pro SP2
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up