Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New members, please remember to read the Forum Rules and the Posting Guide before posting for the first time!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: P4N 2 Beeps then 6 Beeps, No Video  (Read 3421 times)

Filter/Cutoff

• Neo
P4N 2 Beeps then 6 Beeps, No Video
« on: 21-October-08, 14:11:40 »

Hi there,

I'm afraid this post isn't going to be full of information - it's really more of a request for information. I have a P4N SLI motherboard, and recently my computer has decided to stop booting into windows. I can't get any activity on the monitor, but the system will 'turn on'. I get 2 short beeps, followed by 6 beeps (8 in total). I was getting, before this problem, 2 beeps at start up as normal. I do not know which version of the BIOS was running, it's not something I ever took note of (sorry!). I have listened to see whether or not the computer eventually gets into Windows - it never does, and there isn't much hard drive activity (if any). I don't think it is getting past the POST.

I've had the computer for nearly 3 years now. I have taken out and replaced each memory module one by one to test if it is a memory issue (doesn't appear to be). I've taken out and replaced the memory card with an older one (from 8800GTX to 7900GT), still no monitor activity. Removed sound card and replaced keyboard and mouse - still no dice. I see no reason to remove and replace the hard drive, as it is my only one.

I now have serious concerns about the integrity of the data I had stored on the hard drive. This doesn't appear to be something I can easily fix with a replacement component. It would seem as though the motherboard itself is toast. I don't have a D-Bracket because MSI conveniently left that out of the P4N SLI package, and I don't have any other means of determining the problem outside of the beeps. If it is a problem with the mainboard, I may cannibalise the components, stick the SATA-II HDD into a new computer and go from there.

My main concerns are whether or not this problem could affect the data on the disc, and if there are any means possible of at least getting into Windows and getting the data off the HDD in the short term. There is no on-board video, if it is indeed a problem with how the motherboard communicates with the video card, not the video card itself. If it is such a problem, what are my options outside of replacing the motherboard?

I don't know what has caused this issue - I am a part-time musician, and last night, for the first time, I plugged a digital coaxial to 3.5mm jack into my sound card from my workstation (a Roland Fantom G) and the system wouldn't turn on. I had been working my day-job until getting back and this was the first thing I tried. I did not boot the system without plugging in the wire first - I just went straight ahead. With this being a video problem, I wonder if I have somehow completely fried my system! The keyboard is thankfully fine (and that cost a lot more than my computer!!).

Should I just give up?

Wonkanoby

• Lightning
Re: P4N 2 Beeps then 6 Beeps, No Video
« Reply #1 on: 21-October-08, 19:50:52 »

http://bioscentral.com/beepcodes/awardbeep.htm

not sure if your bios is ami or award

you can put the drive as a slave in another pc and get data of it
P5Q Deluxe
Intel QX 6700
4GB OCZ
60 GB Vertex drive
ATI 5850

Jack

• Ex Forum moderator
  • Power Edition
    • A user initiative by MSI fanatics to support all other MSI product users
« Reply #2 on: 21-October-08, 19:51:33 »

The three P4N Boards that MSI produced for the Retail market all have AMI BIOS.

http://bioscentral.com/beepcodes/amibeep.htm

Wonkanoby

• Lightning
« Reply #3 on: 21-October-08, 19:54:07 »

well the ami links on the right of award page

remove all usb...keyboards etc

as modern boards beep for them as well

then describe the beeps you get  long short number
P5Q Deluxe
Intel QX 6700
4GB OCZ
60 GB Vertex drive
ATI 5850

Filter/Cutoff

• Neo
« Reply #4 on: 22-October-08, 13:38:17 »

Thanks guys, I'll give it a go tonight.

Filter/Cutoff2

• Neo
« Reply #5 on: 23-October-08, 12:26:13 »

Right, I'm back. The number of beeps I get with no USB devices, no keyboard and no mouse connected is the same - 2 short, pause, then 6 short. 8 in total. The only thing connected is the power lead into the PSU. I am of the opinion that something has gone tragically wrong with the PCI Express slots on the motherboard itself. As I mentioned in my original post, I have two cards, both of which didn't work. I don't think it is a problem with the GFX cards, only the the mainboard itself.

Here's my question - I would very much like to get this computer running at half capacity rather than none at all. There are two free PCI (not express) slots I could use. If I plugged in an old, old, old school PCI graphics adapter, would it be possible for me to get some sort of video? Or is the video interface (regardless of slot) of the motherboard completely screwed, do you think? It would cost me less than £10 to get a PCI graphics adapter, and if I can get video, I can get the data off the HDD that I want and possibly use the computer in the short term until I purchase a replacement. Could it work?

Wonkanoby

• Lightning
« Reply #6 on: 23-October-08, 12:28:18 »

no reason a pci card should not work

you are replacing the usb mouse/keyboard with regular ps2 ones
P5Q Deluxe
Intel QX 6700
4GB OCZ
60 GB Vertex drive
ATI 5850

Filter/Cutoff2

• Neo
« Reply #7 on: 03-November-08, 10:50:12 »

Well, with a new (albeit ultra cheap) 4MB PCI card (in one of the PCI slots) it has made no difference. With no card in the PCI-Express slots, I get no beeps at start up, but still no video. With the PCI card in AND a card in the PCI-Express slots, I still get the beeps, 8 in total.

I think the motherboard is well and truly fried. I was going to have to do a new build soon anyway, so this might be a blessing in disguise. Time to fire up the Athlon standby and bide my time until I've got enough disposable income to construct something new and shiny. Thanks for all the help though, guys.

Wonkanoby

• Lightning
« Reply #8 on: 03-November-08, 11:19:40 »

did you do a clear cmos after the vga card change

as 8 beeps is missing vga card
P5Q Deluxe
Intel QX 6700
4GB OCZ
60 GB Vertex drive
ATI 5850
Pages: [1]   Go Up