Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Forum FAQ contains answers to many frequently asked questions, please browse or search there before posting.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: No DDR333 Option on MSI 845G ?  (Read 2940 times)

Tweety-nator

No DDR333 Option on MSI 845G ?
« on: 26-July-02, 12:11:48 »

I bought this board thinking that it supports DDR333, and was listed on toms hardware i845G review as having DDR333 support. HardOCP also has a screenshot of the BIOS with DDR333 as an option. In fact, MSI's own printed manual says DDR333 is selectable.

However, the only options I have found for memory frequency is DDR200 and DDR266. What happened to the option?

BiOsPhErE

(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: 26-July-02, 13:45:16 »

Originally posted by Tweety-nator
I bought this board thinking that it supports DDR333, and was listed on toms hardware i845G review as having DDR333 support. HardOCP also has a screenshot of the BIOS with DDR333 as an option. In fact, MSI's own printed manual says DDR333 is selectable.

However, the only options I have found for memory frequency is DDR200 and DDR266. What happened to the option?

Maybe your ram isn't PC2700?

Tweety-nator

(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: 26-July-02, 14:06:21 »

My RAM is a Kingston ValueRAM PC2700, which should run at DDR333. In fact, my BIOS says it has a CAS latency of 2 when I used the auto-detect mem option, not the slower 2.5 which I initially thought it had.

Does your i845G board have the DDR333 option? I wonder if I got a defective motherboard. I flashed my motherboard with the latest BIOS and I still dont have the DDR333 option.

BiOsPhErE

(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: 26-July-02, 14:39:42 »

Originally posted by Tweety-nator
My RAM is a Kingston ValueRAM PC2700, which should run at DDR333. In fact, my BIOS says it has a CAS latency of 2 when I used the auto-detect mem option, not the slower 2.5 which I initially thought it had.

Does your i845G board have the DDR333 option? I wonder if I got a defective motherboard. I flashed my motherboard with the latest BIOS and I still dont have the DDR333 option.

How abt u set it @ SPD and see wat speed its running at?

Tweety-nator

(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: 26-July-02, 14:53:30 »

Originally posted by BiOsPhErE
How abt u set it @ SPD and see wat speed its running at?

I have it set at SPD, and it is saying that the memory is CAS 2.

I checked the label on the memory stick and it does say PC2700, so I dont think the memory is the problem.

AeroHeli

(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: 26-July-02, 15:43:50 »

I would also like to have my ram set at 166mhz and not 133.  I was under the impression that the motherboard would run 333 ram without having to overclock.

I e-mailed them about this a week a go and still have had only the confirmation response that they recieved the e-mail.

Sigh.  For a first time MSI buyer this does not make me happy. :(

Tweety-nator

(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: 26-July-02, 17:42:50 »

This is my first MSI product also.  :(

If anybody from MSI  is reading  this thread please respond.

BigConig

(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: 26-July-02, 19:55:23 »

What deviders do you have for the ram speeds? My understanniding was that the 845G officially only supported DDR 1600-2100, but had an additional devider that allowed you to run the memory at 333

**edit- yeah check this out, Like I thought the 845G officially supports only DDR200 &266 (also pc 133 I guess).

Daemanca

(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: 26-July-02, 22:22:30 »

Man I bought the same mobo (845G Max - L) and was my first MSI mobo and for sure the last one.

In the beginning this mobo had a lot of problems, It did not want to boot at fsb over 133mhz with 2 sticks of ram. The problem that was fixed with a bios upgrade and some "burning" time.

The DDR333 option is only supported if you have a PIV with 533mhz fsb, otherwise you are stuck with 200, 266 or overclocking your cpu to get DDR333.

Every time I upgrade the Bios the WinXP doesn't turn off, it freezees in the blue log off screen and I have to reinstall in order to get it works correctly or flashing back to the old one. Never happened before with other mobos brands

The famous “PussyLogic” never woks, always freeze my computer and the online bios upgrade is very unstable too.

Finally I have an issue that is described in this forum under the name

845G Max - L \" THE NIGHTMARE CONTINUE\"

take a look on it

The most irritating thing is that nobody from MSI apparently take care of this, nobody in this copany is listening here and the dam store, where I bought this mobo, doesn’t want to receive it back.

Man I mad!!!!!   :evil:

Tweety-nator

(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: 27-July-02, 02:47:38 »

Originally posted by BigConig
What deviders do you have for the ram speeds? My understanniding was that the 845G officially only supported DDR 1600-2100, but had an additional devider that allowed you to run the memory at 333

**edit- yeah check this out, Like I thought the 845G officially supports only DDR200 &266 (also pc 133 I guess).

There is no option for changing the dividers in the BIOS, so I am kinda stuck.

I know about the Intel spec for i845G. However the i845G is capable of DDR333 operation albeit "unofficially" supported.

What makes me mad is that this board was reviewed on various web-sites as being DDR333 capable, yet the final retail boards dont have this option. Take a look at Tom's hardware review entitled "DDR333 for P4 - 16 boards with Intel 845G" :http://www.tomshardware.com/mainboard/02q3/020722/index.html

MSI is shown in this review as being able to use DDR333, and I expected to be able to use this type of RAM WITHOUT overclocking the FSB. I have a P4 1.8A and even with overclocking the FSB set to 133 I still dont get the option in the BIOS grrrrr ... If I set the FSB to 125 then upon booting the screen says DDR333, but if I set it to the standard FSB of 100 (for my 1.8A) it just says DDR266 grrrr. And I cant use an FSB of 133 because the board clocks my memory too high, putting the memory at DDR350+ and my system becomes unstable.

HardOCP even has a screenshot of the BIOS on this board with the DDR333 option, take a look: http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MzEzLDI=

If they dont want to include DDR333 support then that is fine, that is the official spec. Just dont give reviewers a version of the board with DDR333 available as an option and then dont include it in the retail shipping product.  :(

Daemanca: My P4 CPU is only a 400Mhz bus 1.8A.  Does this mean then that MSI deletes the DDR333 option from the menu because of my CPU?  :(

beakidprod

(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: 27-July-02, 07:14:54 »

All I have to say is that in my BIOS it says if you leave it to Auto it will detect and use the 333...  Maybe its just my board.... Weirdness...

This is my second MSI board and I have not had a problem... :: Knocks On Wood ::

My only complaint is that I can not use two video cards for dual monitor support... Suxxor... And that is what I wanted to do...  

But other then that no complaints...

Tweety-nator

(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: 27-July-02, 07:34:17 »

Originally posted by beakidprod

All I have to say is that in my BIOS it says if you leave it to Auto it will detect and use the 333...  Maybe its just my board.... Weirdness...

This is my second MSI board and I have not had a problem... :: Knocks On Wood ::

My only complaint is that I can not use two video cards for dual monitor support... Suxxor... And that is what I wanted to do...  

But other then that no complaints...

I have it set to Auto also, and it only detects my RAM as DDR266. :( Are you using a 533Mhz bus CPU like the P4 2.26 or 2.53Ghz?

AeroHeli

(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: 27-July-02, 07:48:55 »

;( Hmmm..

To use 533 mhz bus you must manually set the FSB to 133 according to their website.  Now if you do that on a normal processor it gives you 166mhz ram speed.

I guess we have been had.  

I was really hoping to set the ram to 333 and then push only the ram and not the processor to much on a non 533 mhz cpu.  

I bought some good ram but I don't feel like installing a bloody turbine on my cpu to max it out.

Unofficial 333mhz ram = I think this means Supported if you overclock that far. Sigh.....   ;( ;(  ;(

NEXT BOARD I GET WILL BE AN ASUS!!!!!
 :evil:

I HATE ABIT, I dislike this msi 333 thing.  My old asus board has still been working quite well.  (5 years) The abit was the biggest disaster ever..

;(  ;(  ;(  

Tweety-nator

(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: 27-July-02, 08:14:50 »

Originally posted by AeroHeli
 ;( Hmmm..

To use 533 mhz bus you must manually set the FSB to 133 according to their website.  Now if you do that on a normal processor it gives you 166mhz ram speed.

I guess we have been had.  

I was really hoping to set the ram to 333 and then push only the ram and not the processor to much on a non 533 mhz cpu.  

I bought some good ram but I don't feel like installing a bloody turbine on my cpu to max it out.

Unofficial 333mhz ram = I think this means Supported if you overclock that far. Sigh.....   ;( ;(  ;(

NEXT BOARD I GET WILL BE AN ASUS!!!!!
 :evil:

I HATE ABIT, I dislike this msi 333 thing.  My old asus board has still been working quite well.  (5 years) The abit was the biggest disaster ever..

;(  ;(  ;(  

You hit the nail on the head ...

My question is, why is the DDR333 option limited to only 533Mhz bus CPUs? Is this a limitation with the Intel i845G chipset? :( I wonder if ASUS motherboards suffer from the same problems as well?

dmkain

(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: 31-July-02, 13:12:01 »

Whats worse is that the DDR200 setting doesn't work either...if you want to take your ddr333 memory down to 200 and then overclock the fsb so that you can bring it back upto the 333 mark while ALSO increasing bus speed and processor speed (if you have a 1.6a and you know you can make it to like 133 or 150) YOU CAN'T DO THIS BECAUSE THE DIVIDER IS LOCKED AT 266 NO MATTER WHAT IT SEEMS!! I don't know why...none of the settings change it at all...like the dividers are all set to be the same thing! :( If anyone has any input on this, please write back!

KaiN

fatpat

(No subject)
« Reply #15 on: 31-July-02, 16:34:31 »

I tried this with my friend.

I have a P4 Celeron 1.8... even with DDR333 RAM the option never shows up.

As soon as we swap the CPU with a P4 2.26, the 333 option appears.

Even if I o/c my FSB to 133 (with the celery), 333 still won't appear.

Maybe a BIOS revision will address this.

JerryPan

(No subject)
« Reply #16 on: 31-July-02, 17:18:52 »

I got words from MSI that
The DDR333 option will only appear if the CPU is 533FSB

fatpat

(No subject)
« Reply #17 on: 31-July-02, 17:54:26 »

Thank for the reply, Jerry.

Any idea if you can set it up manually to use DDR333?  Maybe a future BIOS revision?
Pages: [1]   Go Up