Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Forum FAQ contains answers to many frequently asked questions, please browse or search there before posting.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need SATA RAID driver for RS480M2-IL(ms-7093) to install XP  (Read 5551 times)

maccentric

• Neo

Greetings,

I have lost my floppy to install the driver for my SATA RAID and can't seem to find the right one anywhere on the web.
It's an ATI SB400 chipset that has a SIL 3112a RAID controller.
The driver doesn't appear to be on the support page: http://global.msi.com.tw/index.php?func=proddesc&maincat_no=1&prod_no=214

If anyone can point me in the right direction, you'd be my hero. :biggthumbsup:

Thanks in advance,

Jeff

maccentric

• Neo
Re: Need SATA RAID driver for RS480M2-IL(ms-7093) to install XP
« Reply #1 on: 15-January-09, 08:14:33 »

Well, I found the correct driver, I think. It was in the ATI System driver package, on this page: http://global.msi.com.tw/index.php?func=driverfile&dno=2427&i=1
However, I still can't get XP to recognize my drive by pressing F6 at install. Perhaps I'm not using the right files from this package (287MB!). I found what I thought might be the correct drivers in the following folder: ATIDrv/SBDrv/RAID4xx and copied all the files to a floppy. Windows sees this driver and loads it, but when it gets to the point of formatting a drive (or whatever the next step is after you hit F^ and load the driver), it says no HD found, hit F3 to restart (sure would be nice to have other options here, like load another driver).

So, here's more info about my system (read the posting guidelines since last time :-))
mobo: RS480M2-IL BIOS 7093v39
PS:Thermaltake TR2-430NP
RAM: G.Skill PC3200 1GBx2
HD1:Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 160GB
HD2:Maxtor Diamondmax20 160GB

Problem started when co-worker shut the machine off hard. On reboot, Invalid System Disk error and looking at RAID Bios shows drives in SYNC state. Removed the drives and attached to another machine, one looks fine so I clone it for good measure. The other is corrupted, XP wants to format as soon as it's mounted. Checking it with Filescavenger3 shows the files are still there,  but I just reformat it since I have the good image of the other disk. Now I'm trying to fix the other drive, since it still comes up as Invalid System Disk, so I want to try either using the Recovery Console to FixMBR, or do a repair install of XP. I can't find the right driver to make this happen. I do have a disk with LastXPv2.11 that will recognize the drive, but it doesn't allow me to get into the recovery console or offer to repair xp. If you know how to extract the drivers from a slipstreamed disc, that might work too. Finally, I don't know if I've update the RAID bios, or if that happens when you update the mobo bios. I did update that to v39 and the RAID BIOS shows 4.2.50.

Sorry this is so long, any ideas to help get me going here would be fantastic

Cheers,

Jeff

maccentric

• Neo
« Reply #2 on: 15-January-09, 08:23:00 »

More info.

When I go into the RAID BIOS at boot, the drive shows up as: Set0 Invalid RAID drive, then lists the drive underneath as 0 Maxtor XXXXXX.  Above it says 0 PM Maxtor XXXXXX, where XXXXXX is the drive model read from it's ROM. Should I delete the RAID and create a new one? Is this why my drive doesn't show up? It's all getting confusing, not to mention it's way past bedtime.

Hope you're at least mildly interested by all this, once again any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Jeff

Ex Forum User 3

• Hawk
« Reply #3 on: 15-January-09, 08:44:32 »

Looks to me one of your drives has gone bad.
Best check them with their manufacturer test utils and connected to a normal controller.
Those utils don't work with a RAIDed harddisk.

maccentric

• Neo
« Reply #4 on: 15-January-09, 17:00:28 »

Thanks for your reply. I checked both drives when I had them out of the machine and they seemed to pass the WD test (I know, not the greatest, but I'm in a bit of a time crunch here)

I'm going to assume they're OK for the time being and venture onward.

I think I finally found the right driver. The one I got off of MSI's website (244MB) didn't work, but I found another at nodevice.com that was smaller (144MB) and newer that seems to work. Hopefully this will get me going again. If anyone else is looking for the driver, here's the link: http://europe1.nodevice.com/down/59e54f69900144c3c88a118abd3d8e18/ati_system_drive_mb.zip
Not sure if it will work as the site makes you log in to download. The difference between the two is the larger package has a driver called Si3112 and the newer one is Si3112r

Hope this helps someone else save some time (16hrs on this and counting...)

Ex Forum User 3

• Hawk
« Reply #5 on: 15-January-09, 17:19:14 »

Pages: [1]   Go Up